ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Bolds transferring

I wish Bolds good luck. But with DTs Hansard and Barber redshirting last year from the same class and the large and talented DT haul from 2018, this shouldn’t be a huge loss.

Reactions: TheGLOV
from Pennlive Bolds is leaving the program

Corey Bolds is leaving the Penn State football program

Bolds Bolts...

Bolds granted transfer request

By SEAN FITZ 102 minutes ago

Penn State redshirt freshman defensive tackle Corey Bolds will seek a transfer, Lions247 has learned. Bolds confirmed the news with a tweeton Sunday evening.

A last-minute addition to the Nittany Lions’ Class of 2017, Bolds committed to Penn State on National Signing Day two winters ago. The Paramus (N.J.) Catholic alum spent this past season on the scout team and took reserve reps in the spring. He was expected to be a deep reserve for the Nittany Lions in the upcoming season.

The 6-foot-3, 289-pound prospect came in with a defensive tackle class that included Damion Barber and Fred Hansard. Penn State has since added three defensive tackles in the class of 2018 and received a commitment from 2019 four-star Hakeem Beamon last week.

More at the link...

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...orey-Bolds-granted-transfer-request-118750259

This would all be much less distasteful - whether it happens at PSU, Alabama, or Memphis State - if the entire process wasn’t such a one-way street (from LOI day on)

The arguments for NOT allowing any of these kids to switch programs/Universities whenever they want (without restriction or penalty) are just lame, stupid, and self-important. IMO.
The arguments against allowing them to be paid “market rate” are equally fickle.

Good luck to the kid.

It seems to me that a scholarship should be a two way contract. The player is committed and so is the school. No giving a kid the boot because he was under performing and no player leaving because the grass is suddenly greener elsewhere.

One good thing about the requirement to sit a year is that it gives a young person a chance to focus on academics. Switching colleges has to cause some disruption in that respect.

JMO.

Pretty much says the Hansard and Barber were ahead of him in his class if it was playing time related.

I seem to remember that Bolds was a late addition, possibly due to getting academic issues resolved. So it could be academic related.

Wish him the best.

More likely that CJF goes after 1 true 1-tech in the 2019 class??

How do the people here talking about 'processing' kids know that he didnt go ask for the transfer? Kids are not stupid when it comes to their chances to play. He's been through a full year and knows whats there at his position plus potentially whats coming in at his spot.

These kids want to play, tough to get tape on him if he can't get on the field.

It seems to me that a scholarship should be a two way contract. The player is committed and so is the school. No giving a kid the boot because he was under performing and no player leaving because the grass is suddenly greener elsewhere.

One good thing about the requirement to sit a year is that it gives a young person a chance to focus on academics. Switching colleges has to cause some disruption in that respect.

JMO.

Really? Player is still practicing and learning a new system.

Corey Bolds transferring from Penn State -- Headline right now on BWI. Surprising?

Franklin just said he sat down for half an hour with all 125 players the last week or so. I have to believe those aren't easy conversations with some. If JF kept it real, which I have no reason to believe he doesn't, perhaps he told Bolds where he stands on depth chart. Bolds took the information and did what he was best for himself. Or this or that or anything else, who really knows.

For Clarkston Mark, a closet or not so closet Wolverine fan to say every time a player transfers from PSU that he is being "processed", is speculative at best and uninformed. And before you say you are not a Wolverine fan, I live on the border of Clarkston and LO, basically everyone in C town is a Wolverine fan because your HS football team has the winged helmets and copy the UofM uniform, just like 90% in LO are Sparty fans because LO has green and white colors. Quite frankly, it all disgusts me as a true and blue PSU guy.

How do the people here talking about 'processing' kids know that he didnt go ask for the transfer? Kids are not stupid when it comes to their chances to play. He's been through a full year and knows whats there at his position plus potentially whats coming in at his spot.

These kids want to play, tough to get tape on him if he can't get on the field.

Yes. At Penn State all these kids ask for transfers because, in the end they seek a different opportunity.

At Alabama, they are just told to leave.

Completely different.

LdN

Franklin just said he sat down for half an hour with all 125 players the last week or so. I have to believe those aren't easy conversations with some. If JF kept it real, which I have no reason to believe he doesn't, perhaps he told Bolds where he stands on depth chart. Bolds took the information and did what he was best for himself. Or this or that or anything else, who really knows.

For Clarkston Mark, a closet or not so closet Wolverine fan to say every time a player transfers from PSU that he is being "processed", is speculative at best and uninformed. And before you say you are not a Wolverine fan, I live on the border of Clarkston and LO, basically everyone in C town is a Wolverine fan because your HS football team has the winged helmets and copy the UofM uniform, just like 90% in LO are Sparty fans because LO has green and white colors. Quite frankly, it all disgusts me as a true and blue PSU guy.

I won't get involved with your battle with Clarkston Mark, but none of us really know who has been "processed" and who has not, or even what it means. It's all speculation. However, in his defense, if Michigan does it, as well as OSU, Alabama, or anyone else, then who are we to hold other programs more accountable than our own? If we can say Michigan "processed" then we can should also be able to use that same term for PSU. Because the system is the same to develop a good team.

Last edited:
Being processed means you've done everything asked of you on and off the field, but are still basically told to leave.

He commited on LOI day. IIRC there was some speculation about whether he would qualify. Obviously he did but wonder if this is a grade issue or ability issue

Either way. Wish him well

It seems like an issue with him being buried on the depth chart with Franklin bringing in even more talent this year at the position.

People can call it whatever they want - but when you sign more kids than you have room for, it is what it is.

That’s been a common practice throughout much of “big time football” (especially the SEC) for many years now.
Doing that - signing more than you have room for (whatever one wants to call it) - is considered by many to be a necessary step to maximize competitiveness.
The large majority of fans down in SEC-land have long felt “Who the F cares.... Just win baby”.... And, for better or worse, so it goes.

Whatever definition one wants to apply to the term “processing”, the definition of “hypocrisy” is much more well-established.
It's also a chicken or the egg debate here. We didn't sign 30 players like SEC teams do. We signed 23, that put us 2 over. Did Franklin know already that Martin had lost his love of football and that Bolds wasn't going to stay at PSU, whatever the reason. Maybe he did. Which means this isn't processing at all. Both what the process accusers in this thread are suggesting and what I just said are just as likely without internal knowledge of the situations.

To look ahead, I think Franklin already knows which players are targeting the NFL next year and is making his own evaluation of them if he thinks they are ready and then assuming those scholarships will be open for the 2019 class. I also wouldn't doubt he's keeping tabs on some low academic performers or others that aren't fully invested in the football side of things.

I won't get involved with your battle with Clarkston Mark, but none of us really know who has been "processed" and who has not, or even what it means. It's all speculation. However, in his defense, if Michigan does it, as well as OSU, Alabama, or anyone else, then who are we to hold other programs more accountable than our own? If we can say Michigan "processed" then we can should also be able to use that same term for PSU. Because the system is the same to develop a good team.

Because people are blinded by their fandom. We want to believe OUR school is better than that when in reality we aren't. You bring in all the guys you can, and some of those guys are going to end up being buried on the depth chart and "enouraged" to leave or "processed" or whatever term you want use that describes it being made clear that if they want to play they should probably look elsewhere. And they almost always do.

Because people are blinded by their fandom. We want to believe OUR school is better than that when in reality we aren't. You bring in all the guys you can, and some of those guys are going to end up being buried on the depth chart and "enouraged" to leave or "processed" or whatever term you want use that describes it being made clear that if they want to play they should probably look elsewhere. And they almost always do.

And sometimes it's people wanting to feel important by acting like they know a whole lot more than they really do.

You bring in all the guys you can
23 is "all the guys you can"?

That is where I get hung up on this. If you're gonna go the processing route full stop, why not bring in 25 or 28?

Also, we've only had, I think, one player sign an injury scholarship offer in the Franklin era. That is a staple of processing teams. So again, it doesn't really align with the picture some are painting. I am not saying we won't process or that we're above it. I am saying the facts don't squarely point to it the way some suggest.

It's also a chicken or the egg debate here. We didn't sign 30 players like SEC teams do. We signed 23, that put us 2 over. Did Franklin know already that Martin had lost his love of football and that Bolds wasn't going to stay at PSU, whatever the reason. Maybe he did. Which means this isn't processing at all. Both what the process accusers in this thread are suggesting and what I just said are just as likely without internal knowledge of the situations.

Big Ten rules allow you to oversign your 85 by 3. I'm sure Franklin knew that there would be no problem getting to 85. ACtually I wouldn't be surprised if there are more. Just natural.

After 2013 there were 6 early departures.

2014 - 7
2015 - 12
2016 - 8
2017 - 7

Sure that includes NFL guys,too, but it's pretty natural to have several guys leave for various reasons.

LOL. My kids don't even go to Clarkston Schools, though I do live in Clarkston.
Think what you want.
I'm a PSU grad and fan, and have way more Clarkston Sparty fans as friends than UM fans - your percentages are way off.

I'm not sure why anyone has a problem with so-called "processing". It seems like it's a win-win situation for all parties. The player, who presumably isn't good enough to play, gets a chance to go somewhere where he gets playing time. The school opens up a scholarship. Where is the bad in all that?

First, wish Bolds nothing but the best moving forward.

Second, one of the downsides of being good again is the issue of winning. We used to value our wins and, during the JS years, valued every player if he was good or bad. We needed bodies! Today, we need good to great players to play for a playoff spot. And that is where we are as a program right now. But, I have to say, I've seen some pretty crappy fans come back to the stadium whereas, two years ago, the fan base attending games was awesome. There is now an expectation to win, be that good or bad.

Third, kids have to commit for four years. The school's commitment is only one year. The kids get penalized for xfering. The school suffers no such penalty for telling a kid he has no 'ship. That should be rectified. I'd like to see the NCAA have two 'ships: a one-year and a full ride. The school can offer whatever they want and if the kid gets a full ride from NW but only a one-year from tOSU, UM or PSU he can choose what he feels is best for him.

Fourth, I have no idea if Mr. Bolds wanted to leave or his 'ship was not extended. But, again, wish him the best of luck moving forward.

And sometimes it's people wanting to feel important by acting like they know a whole lot more than they really do.

The program was committed to 86 scholarships for the 2018-2019 year before this. They can only have 85 guys on scholarship. Before Martin left it was 87. Obviously you have do to SOMETHING to get down to 85 and if you think they just believe it'll work itself out I don't think you know enough about James Franklin. He's not going to leave anything to chance, and it would be one hell of a coincidence if every year they luckily make it down to the 85 because they are above it after early enrollees/incoming freshman every year.

Like I said, people can call it whatever they want, but when CJF has his sit down with every player like he did recently there are guys who he has to have a tough conversation with. All of the signs point to Martin and Bolds being two kids he had to have tough conversations with this time.

Reactions: bdgan
23 is "all the guys you can"?

That is where I get hung up on this. If you're gonna go the processing route full stop, why not bring in 25 or 28?

Also, we've only had, I think, one player sign an injury scholarship offer in the Franklin era. That is a staple of processing teams. So again, it doesn't really align with the picture some are painting. I am not saying we won't process or that we're above it. I am saying the facts don't squarely point to it the way some suggest.

How do you explain that every year they get down to the 85 limit then? They bring in more guys than they have scholarships for and every year kids have to leave the program to free up scholarships to get to 85. They were committed to 86 before Bolds and 87 before Martin left. CJF doesn't leave things to chance. He doesn't bring in more guys than he has scholarships for and then hopes it all works out. Maybe saying "all you can" wasn't the right way of putting it. Franklin brings in the amount of players he feels comfortable with in regards to having to make some tough decisions.

For the sake of argument, let's say Martin and Bolds both wanted to stay and so did everybody else. They would be committed to 87 scholarships for the 2018-2019 year. They can't do that. What other options are there?

Reactions: djr4rebs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT