ADVERTISEMENT

Cool football talk at the supermarket

Chickenman Testa

Jan 4, 2003
so I see a big dude all duded up in Clemson gear at my local HEB in Austin. I say "you are ready to go!" and we start talking. Turns out Wally R was his QB in high school and they played (and lost) to Bobby Engram's team in a matchup of 3A (Engram) and 4A state champs.

I said to him: "let me guess, Bobby was uncoverable and caught everything". All he could do was sadly shake his head and laugh.

He was impressed I knew about the town of Ninety-Six, SC - wasn't that either where Courtney or Bobby came from?

Football is here - LETS GET IT ON

I was at my supermaket today in Northeast Philly and as I was walking by a man I could overhear him mention Akron. On the way out I was hit up by some cub scouts and one of their dad's had a Penn State hat on. I told him I like the hat and they have Akron today and he replied "Yep in about 20 minutes". You know some folks think Penn State is not as big as it should be n the minds of Philadelphians. Those folks are not hanging in my circles. I remember watching the infamous 1989 blocked field goal game against Alabama with ten other Philly guys and we were all on suicide watch after that game. Seeing those two guys at the store just made me think of how underrated my town is when it comes to their passion for Penn State football.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I was at my supermaket today in Northeast Philly and as I was walking by a man I could overhear him mention Akron. On the way out I was hit up by some cub scouts and one of their dad's had a Penn State hat on. I told him I like the hat and they have Akron today and he replied "Yep in about 20 minutes". You know some folks think Penn State is not as big as it should be n the minds of Philadelphians. Those folks are not hanging in my circles. I remember watching the infamous 1989 blocked field goal game against Alabama with ten other Philly guys and we were all on suicide watch after that game. Seeing those two guys at the store just made me think of how underrated my town is when it comes to their passion for Penn State football.
I do think that Penn State is the most popular CFB team in Philly, but it's just that Philly is so much more of an Eagles town.

And since it's not a Philadelphia school, it doesn't get the same attention from the media. When Temple had its one good year, they were insufferable.

And since it's not a Philadelphia school, it doesn't get the same attention from the media. When Temple had its one good year, they were insufferable.

Not insufferable. They got the attention they deserved. Aside from beating Penn State they were extremely close to beating Norte Dame that year. Within a minute or two.

Temple received the accolades they deserved from the local media.

Reactions: SEPATOPTEN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT