ADVERTISEMENT

Confession Time:

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
I have no idea what the lumbar support is supposed to do in the various cars I've owned over the years. I put it on max, I put it on min, and it makes no difference to my back whatsoever.

Reactions: brupsu and bison13
I have no idea what the lumbar support is supposed to do in the various cars I've owned over the years. I put it on max, I put it on min, and it makes no difference to my back whatsoever.
Do you suffer from lower back pain?

The adjustment of this support is to alleviate discomfort that one may be experiencing from said pain.

sometimes....the adjustment makes zero difference to my back. Zero.
That was just a guess.

I fortunately do not suffer from that type of back strain. When I have hurt my back, it was consequential enough that no minor lumbar support adjustment is going to help in any significant way.

Thinking about it, I cannot recall anyone ever commenting to me positively on how much they appreciated the lumbar support adjustment feature on their driver's seat.

That was just a guess.

I fortunately do not suffer from that type of back strain. When I have hurt my back, it was consequential enough that no minor lumbar support adjustment is going to help in any significant way.

Thinking about it, I cannot recall anyone ever commenting to me positively on how much they appreciated the lumbar support adjustment feature on their driver's seat.
I was in a rental car the other day and tried to use it on a long trip. I started to realize it is worthless. So I started to talk to some people. I can't find anyone who uses it. So I started asking about other stuff. I can't find anyone that uses the variable traction, variable power/ride, and many other features that have to cost quite a bit to include. Yet, some very important items like blind spot detection or cross-traffic detection are not standard. Also, nice to have items, that don't cost a lot, for example wireless connection to carplay, are an upgrade (but can have serious safety issues if the driver is forced to plug in their phone to play Apple Music or whatever).

I was in a rental car the other day and tried to use it on a long trip. I started to realize it is worthless. So I started to talk to some people. I can't find anyone who uses it. So I started asking about other stuff. I can't find anyone that uses the variable traction, variable power/ride, and many other features that have to cost quite a bit to include. Yet, some very important items like blind spot detection or cross-traffic detection are not standard. Also, nice to have items, that don't cost a lot, for example wireless connection to carplay, are an upgrade (but can have serious safety issues if the driver is forced to plug in their phone to play Apple Music or whatever).

Adaptive/variable suspension is fantastic.

I actually herniated a disc at L5-S1 years ago and have been through all the traditional issues...sciatica....lock ups....re-injury.....I love the lumbar seat support. It provides support at lower curve while moving and jostling in car. Just my honest opinion based on my personal experience.

I actually herniated a disc at L5-S1 years ago and have been through all the traditional issues...sciatica....lock ups....re-injury.....I love the lumbar seat support. It provides support at lower curve while moving and jostling in car. Just my honest opinion based on my personal experience.
Like most things medical, it may help for some depending on exact issues.

Reactions: bison13
sometimes....the adjustment makes zero difference to my back. Zero.

Lots of cars never made much of a difference for me, but in my Lexus it sure does. I suffered sciatica problems a few years back and I am noticeably more comfortable than in my wife's car. They make additional portable back supports that may help you.

Reactions: Obliviax
Lots of cars never made much of a difference for me, but in my Lexus it sure does. I suffered sciatica problems a few years back and I am noticeably more comfortable than in my wife's car. They make additional portable back supports that may help you.
That sounds like equal parts bullshit and an excuse to post "in my Lexus".

• Haha
Reactions: 91Joe95
Rusty Jones
Hello Rusty Jones...Goodbye rusty cars. I remember that jingle. Nice.

I have used the lumbar thing in various cars. I used to work for a dealership as a car jockey driving nice ones, Benz and Audi and a lot of them have the lumbar thing. It can help on a long trip. There are a lot of features on these cars that I don't like or want, not the least of which is lane control. A lot of the Audis have this and it actually jerks the wheel when you cross a line which is crapola and in my opinion dangerous if you're on a slick road. The sensor can't really differentiate between a tire track in snow and a painted line. If there's nobody coming at me I don't always want to stay in the line on a curve. I was taught to take curves outside-inside-outside. That's the efficient way and it doesn't always lend itself to staying completely in the lines. Same with road hazards you have to go out of a lane to avoid.

I owned a Lexus GS 350 with the F Sport package from 2013 to March 2023. This thing came with the most unbelievable driver's seat with adjustments for lumbar (inflatable bladder), legs, ass width, tilt, pitch etc. I have back issues and my Physical Therapist who works with the Titleist Performance Institute, told me to set the lumbar inflatable bladder setting to zero. Setting it higher just makes you weaker because you engage your core even less. I am certain that this advice helped me. Take it for what it's worth!

I find some settings more comfortable than others but to me it's like an adjustable steering wheel. You set it the way you like it and never adjust it again.

Hello Rusty Jones...Goodbye rusty cars. I remember that jingle. Nice.

I have used the lumbar thing in various cars. I used to work for a dealership as a car jockey driving nice ones, Benz and Audi and a lot of them have the lumbar thing. It can help on a long trip. There are a lot of features on these cars that I don't like or want, not the least of which is lane control. A lot of the Audis have this and it actually jerks the wheel when you cross a line which is crapola and in my opinion dangerous if you're on a slick road. The sensor can't really differentiate between a tire track in snow and a painted line. If there's nobody coming at me I don't always want to stay in the line on a curve. I was taught to take curves outside-inside-outside. That's the efficient way and it doesn't always lend itself to staying completely in the lines. Same with road hazards you have to go out of a lane to avoid.
I like lane keeping assist. My car offers the choice of a chime or vibrations in my steering wheel. I use the latter and I'm used to the car pulling me back to center. It doesn't pull as hard as you can steer so you can still take curves outside to inside. Or in my case to put extra space between me and an 18 wheeler. The vibration and slight tug are just warnings.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Is Lexus really a flex?

Exactly. It's a boring old man's car, my version of my parent's Cadillac. I actually bought it for reliability and because it was comfortable. I didn't even know the added benefit on the longer drives because who ever test drives a car that long?

Not cars but lumbar support makes a big difference to me in office chairs. Had some over the years with almost a straight back, some with the support/adjustable support - and hands down the support made the chairs much more comfy.

Reactions: Obliviax
Buy a small soft cushion and place it on the back of the seat where your lumbar is.

I'm spoiled by all kinds of features that have been added to cars in the past 25 years. Lumbar support is just one.

Lane keep assist
Blind spot monitor
Rear backup camera
Heated seats
Cooled seats
Heated steering wheel
Android Auto
Ambient lighting
Adaptive cruise control
18 speaker 1800 W sound system
Remote access via cell phone
Self defrosting side mirrors
Adaptive headlights

I remember when cars didn't even have seat belts, airbags, or anti lock brakes. And you cranked the windows by hand.

Last edited:
I'm spoiled by all kinds of features that have been added to cars in the past 25 years. Lumbar support is just one.

Lane keep assist
Blind spot monitor
Rear backup camera
Heated seats
Cooled seats
Heated steering wheel
Android Auto
Ambient lighting
Adaptive cruise control
Adaptive headlights

I remember when cars didn't even have seat belts, airbags, or anti lock brakes. And you cranked the windows by hand.

They were good for back support though.

crankstart.gif

Lane keep assist
Blind spot monitor
Rear backup camera
Heated seats
Cooled seats
Heated steering wheel
Android Auto
Ambient lighting
Adaptive cruise control
Adaptive headlights

You left off one of my favorites, keyless entry, and some others like memory seats/mirrors, hands-free tailgate, rain-sensing wipers, automatic head lights, parking assist sensors, 360-degree cameras, and self-parking (I have this but have never used it).

Also, several safety features like stability control sys., automatic braking systems, heads-up displays, cross-traffic alert, and autonomous driving systems are pretty new.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and bdgan
You left off one of my favorites, keyless entry, and some others like memory seats/mirrors, hands-free tailgate, rain-sensing wipers, automatic head lights, parking assist sensors, 360-degree cameras, and self-parking (I have this but have never used it).

Also, several safety features like stability control sys., automatic braking systems, heads-up displays, cross-traffic alert, and autonomous driving systems are pretty new.
I forgot to add things like rain sensing wipers, memory seats, and heads up display. I'd miss those things if I didn't have them.

Reactions: SLUPSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT