ADVERTISEMENT

Concerned but Optimistic

PSU08Iraq11

Jan 3, 2014
My biggest takeaway from the game is that Barkley is obviously unbelievably good and incredibly well-conditioned given his ability to stay a threat throughout the game. He continuously "turned it on" even after taking brutal hits (some made worse by his own speed) and was just all around relentless. He was like a boxer going 12 rounds and being just about as full of pep in round 12 as in round 1. Amazing.

Also concerning because we are headed into the meat of the schedule and he needs to be whole. I hope we are able to beat Indiana and NW with Barkley getting in the mix but without having to be relied upon so heavily. I know he's the ultimate competitor and wants to go all out every game and every play, but there does need to be some smart decision making on the coaching staff in order to save him for when it matters (and I agree with how he was used @Iowa) but he can't go like that every game, right?

Are 6 and a half days between outings like that enough to recover? Maybe for a freak athlete in his early 20's, but it's still a question I have. In fact, he may even be his own worst enemy given how relentless he is. There was one play where he was near the sideline and he tried to do some footwork to turn it back up field and his legs came out from under him. There are other times, too, where I've seen him kind of beat himself from his "relentless anxiety" he seems to have about wanting to constantly figure out some way to get up field. Most times he's able to accomplish what he wants, but other times he falls forward or loses his feet.

Personally, I think he is the best running back in Penn State history, maybe not statistically yet and maybe not in consequential game outcomes, but in terms of actual skill and ability to turn nothings into huge plays. Others are obviously great in our long line of greats, but he's really got whatever "it" is and it was noticeable early on. I just hope he stays healthy and we continue to see him do what he does. If he continues like he did @Iowa, he should be the Heisman winner. Nobody else in CF has the ability to completely take over and transform a game like he does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT