ADVERTISEMENT

Column: For James Franklin, Penn State football, actions speak volumes

I'm "fiercely loyal" as I shop myself around on an annual basis, change agents, and never deny interest.....yes actions are louder than words. It's awesome to say your loyal and actually deliver. I get those guys on the beat around him like him and the line about beers was bunch of BS, but he's paid 7 million a year and they school has given him quite a bit. Loyalty isn't a one way street and playing the one foot out the door while saying it's best for the program well has dried up. If he cannot find a better way to be "loyal" as he floats his name for every big job out there.....he can talk out his arse all day long about his actions, but they are clearly from his perspective. You get shown the door at most places for not delivering but demanding more and threatening to leave.

Sorry but I read another fluff piece once this morning about his so called loyalty. Then I watch Jimbo or Tomlin show how to diffuse the rumor mill with ease. He tells every recruit it's like a marriage, but in the real world you cannot have chicks calling you on the side James.....it's not how it works. You can't tell your wife the other woman is willing to pay for more. I don't know how much more smoke he can blow up peoples arses like I wish I could tell you lines over some beers.....STFU and win games already and stop with the flirting. How about we start with just basic loyalty. You would be amazed how much $$$$ pours in when you're winning and not crying about things. You know like maybe not getting beat up at home by Illinois.

I'm "fiercely loyal" as I shop myself around on an annual basis, change agents, and never deny interest.....yes actions are louder than words. It's awesome to say your loyal and actually deliver. I get those guys on the beat around him like him and the line about beers was bunch of BS, but he's paid 7 million a year and they school has given him quite a bit. Loyalty isn't a one way street and playing the one foot out the door while saying it's best for the program well has dried up. If he cannot find a better way to be "loyal" as he floats his name for every big job out there.....he can talk out his arse all day long about his actions, but they are clearly from his perspective. You get shown the door at most places for not delivering but demanding more and threatening to leave.

Sorry but I read another fluff piece once this morning about his so called loyalty. Then I watch Jimbo or Tomlin show how to diffuse the rumor mill with ease. He tells every recruit it's like a marriage, but in the real world you cannot have chicks calling you on the side James.....it's not how it works. You can't tell your wife the other woman is willing to pay for more. I don't know how much more smoke he can blow up peoples arses like I wish I could tell you lines over some beers.....STFU and win games already and stop with the flirting. How about we start with just basic loyalty. You would be amazed how much $$$$ pours in when you're winning and not crying about things. You know like maybe not getting beat up at home by Illinois.
This sure sounds like a chicken or the egg kind of thing doesn't it. Fans saying the $$$ will pour in once he starts winning (even though his winning % at PSU since 2016 is the highest at PSU in decades), yet for PSU to truly be able to compete with OSU they need to close a significant gap in $$$.

Funny how things work.

This sure sounds like a chicken or the egg kind of thing doesn't it. Fans saying the $$$ will pour in once he starts winning (even though his winning % at PSU since 2016 is the highest at PSU in decades), yet for PSU to truly be able to compete with OSU they need to close a significant gap in $$$.

Funny how things work.
It's been 8 years now and he's still flirting every year. Sorry that isn't loyalty and he has a 50 million dollar project already underway while being paid 7 million a year. It's awesome he wants more as he should, but shouldn't there be a bit more return on investment after 8 years for his actual job which is winning trophies?

The fact is we will probably never know the behind the scenes type of things that would answer all the questions fairly easily.

Fact: Franklin tells recruits that being committed is like a marriage. You want to take visits to other schools then consider yourself not a part of the recruiting class.

Fact: Franklin, in public, never simply shoots down rumors and it seems like he flirts with every rumor there is.

Fact: We don't know what JF is saying to recruits about the other jobs.

My question: why in all these years has a recruit that has decommitted never thrown Franklin under the bus. Example, the now decommitted Jordan Allen (who again, a way out of area recruit so it is not a shock) could easily have said: "Yes, I visited Ole Miss, but why not when the coach of the school I am committed to flirts with other schools. Why can't we look around while he is apparently looking around."

That has never happened, not once and may actually tell us more than any media outlet.

It's been 8 years now and he's still flirting every year. Sorry that isn't loyalty and he has a 50 million dollar project already underway while being paid 7 million a year. It's awesome he wants more as he should, but shouldn't there be a bit more return on investment after 8 years for his actual job which is winning trophies?
As I posted in another thread, the issue isn't how much he is getting getting paid. The lasch building project is a good step in the right direction, but it is still a long way away to get to where Ohio State (and even Michigan) are in terms of athletic department $$$. The return on investment has been there, PSU is generating more revenue than they ever have and their win % is higher than it has been in decades. If PSU wants to be an 11 or 12 win program year-in and year-out there needs to be much more revenue generating and thus more spending, which PSU is lagging well behind both OSU and Michigan in both departments.

As I posted in another thread, the issue isn't how much he is getting getting paid. The lasch building project is a good step in the right direction, but it is still a long way away to get to where Ohio State (and even Michigan) are in terms of athletic department $$$. The return on investment has been there, PSU is generating more revenue than they ever have and their win % is higher than it has been in decades. If PSU wants to be an 11 or 12 win program year-in and year-out there needs to be much more revenue generating and thus more spending, which PSU is lagging well behind both OSU and Michigan in both departments.
Name one coach that has done this to UM or tOSU on an annual basis? He is coming off of a 4-5 season, just lost at home as a 24 point favorite, and is about to be unranked while dropping his 3rd straight game. Very few people are against what he is fighting for, but his tactics and his leverage is wearing out currently. You cannot disregard his pay either, he is paid as a top 10 coach. He has been to one BT title game, no playoffs, and the winning percentage is taking a hit the last 2 years as I don't see this year turning out peachy for him. His only real leverage right now is a recruiting class that he can poach if he does bail. Is it crazy for people to ask him to possibly try something other than.....I might leave and take my ball with me.

Do you tell your wife how loyal you are while calling other women? It's a pretty stupid flex he made last night IMO.

Last edited:
You really need to explain how spending more money will make us win more.

After you explain, could you detail how Michigan spending more helps them win more. This one should be entertaining.

What flavor cheese are you eating with that whine? As far as someone STFU take your own advice

Name one coach that has done this to UM or tOSU on an annual basis? He is coming off of a 4-5 season, just lost at home as a 24 point favorite, and is about to be unranked while dropping his 3rd straight game. Very few people are against what he is fighting for, but his tactics and his leverage is wearing out currently. You cannot disregard his pay either, he is paid as a top 10 coach. He has been to one BT title game, no playoffs, and the winning percentage is taking a hit the last 2 years as I don't see this year turning out peachy for him. His only real leverage right now is a recruiting class that he can poach if he does bail. Is it crazy for people to ask him to possibly try something other than.....I might leave and take my ball with me.

Do you tell your wife how loyal you are while calling other women? It's a pretty stupid flex he made last night IMO.
What proof do you have that Franklin is calling other schools? How many Big Titles and playoff appearances does Harbaugh have and how does his salary compare to Franklin’s salary?

Hypothetical... What if in 5-10 years we look back and see that we now have world class facilities and we have some of the highest paid assistant coaches in the business, and Franklin is still here coaching a perennial playoff team? Personally if that were to happen I'd not only consider him loyal, I'd give him credit for forcing the PSU admin into the modern competitive football era and doing what needed to be done to keep up with the Bamas, OSUs and OUs of the world. Obviously we can't predict the future but there's a chance this is exactly how Franklin is thinking about things long term.

A-freaking-men

Hypothetical... What if in 5-10 years we look back and see that we now have world class facilities and we have some of the highest paid assistant coaches in the business, and Franklin is still here coaching a perennial playoff team? Personally if that were to happen I'd not only consider him loyal, I'd give him credit for forcing the PSU admin into the modern competitive football era and doing what needed to be done to keep up with the Bamas, OSUs and OUs of the world. Obviously we can't predict the future but there's a chance this is exactly how Franklin is thinking about things long term.
Can you tell me what other coaches had to hold any of those schools hostage on an annual basis? Nobody is saying he shouldn't fight for more as he should, but maybe the method could be a bit better?

JMO, I don't think he would be begging still had Joe not let the program sit stale for the last decade as teams passed PSU by with facilities and bells and whistles. Joe also on the other hand could have raised his hand and said we need money to compete and it would have flowed in like a river. James is paying that price for those who are still pissed on how Joe was treated at the end so maybe some aren't giving and won't because of that. I won't say that is 100% of it, but there is some sort of truth to that statement.

it really is becoming like Major League Baseball where there is no floor when it comes to spending and facilities. I am starting to change my tune from placing the blame on James and moving it to the Administration. Why make James, the players, and the fans go through this on a yearly basis? Make a commitment to the guy for what he wants. Give it a time table of when things will happen and get done. While that is going on James agrees to squash rumors that he is leaving.

I honestly don’t see him changing agents as a big idea as most do. There are any number of reasons to change agents.

Reactions: psu00
exactly, plus it happened last summer. Our wonderful media just now decides to write about because it fits the narrative of him leaving.
To be fair, do content people change agents? Possibly, but he did go for the whale of college football agents.

All this talk about Franklin leaving is fine. He's been at Penn State eight years, has not won a Big Ten Championship, has not made it to the CFB playoffs, and his record against ranked teams is horrible. In the last 27 games PSU is 20-9, but if you erase the 11-2 season of 2019, he's 9-7 in the past two years. Going to O$U this Saturday doesn't look good either, which would make it 9-8. That's mediocre at best.

I like Franklin. Think he's done a good job with recruiting, getting kids to the pros, and working with the community. As a gameday coach he's lacking.

All the questions and all the statements don't matter. You don't hire Jimmy Sexton if you're not shopping. If he wants a big paycheck I say go for it, but he'd better start winning some big games first.

Can you tell me what other coaches had to hold any of those schools hostage on an annual basis? Nobody is saying he shouldn't fight for more as he should, but maybe the method could be a bit better?

JMO, I don't think he would be begging still had Joe not let the program sit stale for the last decade as teams passed PSU by with facilities and bells and whistles. Joe also on the other hand could have raised his hand and said we need money to compete and it would have flowed in like a river. James is paying that price for those who are still pissed on how Joe was treated at the end so maybe some aren't giving and won't because of that. I won't say that is 100% of it, but there is some sort of truth to that statement.
The vast majority of other programs didn't have one head coach at the helm for 50 years achieving great success on a relatively modest budget. Other programs may be in more urban areas where investing as cities grow around them is the norm, while PSU is surrounded by farmland. Others may have high profile boosters that routinely contribute to the program, PSU doesn't. Others don't have a sizeable group of fans or a bot with members fixated on doing things the way Paterno did them because (1) they are still angry about his dismissal and (2) that's the way we always did it before and it worked.

PSU has a lot of unique factors to deal with and historically got away with underspending, which may be harming us as we look forward. Those good old days are gone. The sport is a keep up with the Joneses game now, with high costs, high turnover, high visibility. PSU needs to decide if they want to be a playoff contender, or if they are happy with where we are right now. The former is going to require more money, particularly on the assistant coaching front so that once we do land the coaches that can get us to the playoff we can hang onto them. If the PSU admin chooses the latter then they just need to be honest with the coaches, and someone with high aspirations like Franklin will leave and go someplace like USC or LSU where the administration is committed to competing and will invest accordingly.

All this talk about Franklin leaving is fine. He's been at Penn State eight years, has not won a Big Ten Championship, has not made it to the CFB playoffs, and his record against ranked teams is horrible. In the last 27 games PSU is 20-9, but if you erase the 11-2 season of 2019, he's 9-7 in the past two years. Going to O$U this Saturday doesn't look good either, which would make it 9-8. That's mediocre at best.

I like Franklin. Think he's done a good job with recruiting, getting kids to the pros, and working with the community. As a gameday coach he's lacking.

All the questions and all the statements don't matter. You don't hire Jimmy Sexton if you're not shopping. If he wants a big paycheck I say go for it, but he'd better start winning some big games first.
I’d gather a heavy hitter like Sexton doesn’t sign on to nurse your current contract .

Franklin hasn’t won a b1g championship? Riiiiight.

It’s legitimate to argue that PSU should have been in the playoff in 2016. PSU beat Tosu and won the b1g championship, yet Tosu was selected for the playoff. Of course, delany lobbied for Tosu instead of PSU for the playoff. In other words, f*ck us.

Reactions: MacNit07
All this talk about Franklin leaving is fine. He's been at Penn State eight years, has not won a Big Ten Championship, has not made it to the CFB playoffs, and his record against ranked teams is horrible. In the last 27 games PSU is 20-9, but if you erase the 11-2 season of 2019, he's 9-7 in the past two years.
Whether I agree with or disagree with any of this, thanks for brightening my day with your data (let’s not call them facts) in this paragraph. Btw,
1. PSU has won a conference title under Franklin
2. 20-9 does not equal 27
3. 2019 is not within the past two years if this season counts as one of them.

To be fair, do content people change agents? Possibly, but he did go for the whale of college football agents.

Maybe the whale went after him?

There are reasons that I question James at some times, particularly his non-answers to things at times. But the agent thing to me is just a nonstory. He is one of the highest paid coaches in the game, he can afford any agent he wants. And if he was unhappy with the other guy for any reason, who knows why, perhaps he didn't like the way he smelled, who the hell knows, he got a new agent. Maybe he called the guy and he didn't pick up the phone maybe he didn't return a call, who knows, but I don't see this as anything but a nonstory at this time.

I've been a big fan of Franklin since Day One and still am. I was hoping against hope that he would get the job and excited as hell when he did.

Nobody can be faulted for at least listening to a potentially attractive job offer from a potentially attractive employer. It's clear that Franklin is listening...even telegraphing interest. That's why we get these awkward and tortured statements from him. It's a tough tightrope to walk.

But there's little doubt this is a major distraction. I mean, listen to the man during Tuesday's press conference. Unfortunately, it seems to have become an annual distraction.

Distractions detract from focus on the task at hand, and in football, focus is a pretty big deal. A lack of it can be contagious and communicate itself to the team. It's hard not to see this as having contributed to arguably the worst loss in Franklin's tenure at Penn State.

Luckily for James, he only has to do one thing to entirely change the conversation and make everything right overnight: beat Ohio State. Simple as pie.

He's Saban's agent. Should Bama be looking to replace Nick after he bolts?
IDK Sabans history of when he took on Sexton as his client . But I’d speculate that that James and Sexton had a preliminary meeting and identified what they could do for each other . Sexton is a busy guy. He’s not interested in babysitting .
I never said James was leaving . But I’d say he’s definitely looking for more bank.

Yes!

I think he’s being genuinely honest that he wants to stay. I think the recruits and/or their parents or high school coaches, etc would almost definitely “smell a rat” if you catch my drift….

He just owes it to his team to be 100% focused on having them prepared and by the sounds of Tuesday’s PC it doesn’t seem that way…

I think he’s being genuinely honest that he wants to stay. I think the recruits and/or their parents or high school coaches, etc would almost definitely “smell a rat” if you catch my drift….

He just owes it to his team to be 100% focused on having them prepared and by the sounds of Tuesday’s PC it doesn’t seem that way…
Right. It's not like he's hiding from the media. If you read between the lines of yesterday's "sit down and have a beer with you guys speech", a lot can be deciphered if you pay attention. There's more to come tonight though I think it'll be more football related.

Nonsense on loyalty..paging Kirk C. Funny how that works, huh? He has every right to test market. That is capitalism. Corps do it all the time and consistently look ways to cut costs, off-shore and on-shore to get best deal. Your only leverage is having someone willing to pay more. Why should coaches not do it? Simply put, you are as valuable as options. If LSU or USC want to pay him $7-8m then go for it. He is a good coach, not elite. His risk is failure because few coaches get another HC opportunity after getting fired from a major program. The pressure will go up at those places and he will need to produce quick..mark my words, he takes LSU or USC then he will get fired within 4 years if not in CFP. He can then look forward to head coach at BGSU or offensive coordinator somewhere else for rest of career.

Reactions: MacNit07
So spending $100mm that isn't his is a sign of "commitment?' Column is a crock of shit.

Yeah, I sort of don't understand this column. It appears that Penn State is enacting and committing to the very things CJF wanted, they are literally under construction, so isn't that action? He is showing his commitment to the football program because they enlarged his office and have spent $$$ on new facilities? I'm not sure what this says about Franklin, but loyalty or commitment wouldn't come to mind merely by spending university dollars. I had a big expense report this month, my company should kiss my as*.

Yeah, I sort of don't understand this column. It appears that Penn State is enacting and committing to the very things CJF wanted, they are literally under construction, so isn't that action? He is showing his commitment to the football program because they enlarged his office and have spent $$$ on new facilities? I'm not sure what this says about Franklin, but loyalty or commitment wouldn't come to mind merely by spending university dollars. I had a big expense report this month, my company should kiss my as*.
I think it's likely there were promises made by the administration when he signed his last contract 2 years ago that haven't been fulfilled yet. That's my read but who knows?

Last edited:
Reactions: grinagrin
I think it's likely there were promises made by the administration when he signed his last contract 2 years ago that haven't been fulfilled yet. That's my read but who knows?

I don't know, I wish the author would be less cryptic. I mean, ground has been literally broken on the construction promised, so this is a backwards "promises are promises" thing? Franklin was promised certain things, they are being constructed and his OC makes $1.2 million, Im finding it hard to understand what the university backtracked on in the absence of being told directly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT