ADVERTISEMENT

Column: For James Franklin, Penn State football, actions speak volumes

I don't know, I wish the author would be less cryptic. I mean, ground has been literally broken on the construction promised, so this is a backwards "promises are promises" thing? Franklin was promised certain things, they are being constructed and his OC makes $1.2 million, Im finding it hard to understand what the university backtracked on in the absence of being told directly.
Who says it's only the construction part though?

Who says it's only the construction part though?

Nobody, but it makes the article worth nothing. What is the author trying to persuade absent of any information about what I suppose undergirds this article? Its a word salad that amounts to nothing. If he is making the case that Franklin was promised X and the University reneged on it, well that would be persuasive, but he doesn't cite any examples? I don't know, maybe I did not read it critically, but I'm not understanding precisely what the reader is supposed to take from this article. We have construction and approvals for more construction and this proves Franklin's(?) commitment to the university.....does he own a construction company that is doing the work pro bono?

Nonsense on loyalty..paging Kirk C. Funny how that works, huh? He has every right to test market. That is capitalism. Corps do it all the time and consistently look ways to cut costs, off-shore and on-shore to get best deal. Your only leverage is having someone willing to pay more. Why should coaches not do it? Simply put, you are as valuable as options. If LSU or USC want to pay him $7-8m then go for it. He is a good coach, not elite. His risk is failure because few coaches get another HC opportunity after getting fired from a major program. The pressure will go up at those places and he will need to produce quick..mark my words, he takes LSU or USC then he will get fired within 4 years if not in CFP. He can then look forward to head coach at BGSU or offensive coordinator somewhere else for rest of career.
It's not about testing the market which is fine, it's about doing it publicly every GD year......if you do that at your job and haven't delivered in 5 years....see how long it works for. He uses it like he is some Saint doing this for the good all HV mankind while getting a healthy raise each time....and then firing assistants you point out.

It's not about testing the market which is fine, it's about doing it publicly every GD year......if you do that at your job and haven't delivered in 5 years....see how long it works for. He uses it like he is some Saint doing this for the good all HV mankind while getting a healthy raise each time....and then firing assistants you point out.
You like to make sweeping generalizations. Explain how he has tested the market publicly every year. He hasn’t said one word about testing the market, ever. You say he got healthy raises each time. I believe he renegotiated his contract once. How is that “each time”

I think it's likely there were promises made by the administration when he signed his last contract 2 years ago that haven't been fulfilled yet. That's my read but who knows?

Es posible. Bureaucrats like Ms. Excellence have a way of vaguely communicating so that the other person thinks they have agreement when what has really been said is "we'll see." If the points haven't been somehow memorialized up front, then bring them up. My guess is that if Franklin was promised something and it wasn't delivered we'd have heard about it. He's not exactly Mr. Reticence.

Getting back to commitment and loyalty, Franklin knows what PSU is. It's an Athletic Department that fields a lot of teams and (thus far) won't tax its student body to do so. So what is loyalty? "I understand the limitations and am going to bust hump to win within the.m" OR "You're not giving me enough toys to play with so I'm going somewhere else that will."

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Franklin hasn’t won a b1g championship? Riiiiight.

It’s legitimate to argue that PSU should have been in the playoff in 2016. PSU beat Tosu and won the b1g championship, yet Tosu was selected for the playoff. Of course, delany lobbied for Tosu instead of PSU for the playoff. In other words, f*ck us.
I don't believe there's ever been a two loss team in the playoff.

Nobody, but it makes the article worth nothing. What is the author trying to persuade absent of any information about what I suppose undergirds this article? Its a word salad that amounts to nothing. If he is making the case that Franklin was promised X and the University reneged on it, well that would be persuasive, but he doesn't cite any examples? I don't know, maybe I did not read it critically, but I'm not understanding precisely what the reader is supposed to take from this article. We have construction and approvals for more construction and this proves Franklin's(?) commitment to the university.....does he own a construction company that is doing the work pro bono?

Pate nails it. Exactly why those ready for a change will likely be upset with anyone that would end up following Franklin. If you want PSU to be in playoff contention you better hope Franklin's new agent wins this power struggle.

Pate may have a point, but I don't think that's the main issue visa vis Franklin.

Ohio State's arguably more important advantage is not facilities but rather conference politics: its status as league Golden Child versus Penn State's as league Red-Headed Stepchild.

Franklin has watched that play out in various ways, on the field and off, during his eight-year tenure. I imagine it could wear a guy out.

I'm a Franklin fan and wish he would stay. But I'd prefer his departure over this annual guessing game about his intentions, which judging by last Saturday is beginning to take a toll on the team.

Reactions: MacNit07

Pate is another idiot who has never met a payroll. The money doesn't simply materialize, increasing the longer he bloviates. So where does it come from. No one is talking about making PSU, the Athletic Department or the larger University, more fiscally responsible. So the usual suspects are from PSU students (in the form of a mandatory fee) or by cutting sports and/or Athletic Department overhead. Ms. Excellence would rather slit her wrists than do the latter (so maybe some good can come of this).

For what? We're not talking about anything directly related to team performance. Haven't heard of any inadequacies of the weight room or in nutritional support, which wouldn't cost much to fix if there is need. We're talking about the superficial: fancier foyers, glitzier signage, better appointed offices and locker rooms Why? So Franklin is better able (maybe) to attract recruits, who (maybe) develop into contributors, who (maybe) will help Franklin win more football games. That's a lot of maybes for $100mm. But don't worry. We have it on the authority of that financial genius, Brandon Short, that there is no better investment than money directed to the PSU football program. Oh, another guy who has never met a payroll.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT