ADVERTISEMENT

Collegiate women’s beach volleyball

phillybillyreprise

May 5, 2014
Watching it on espn.
Sorry, I do not know how to post a picture. I have tried and I failed.

Why does PSU not compete in this sport?

There were 52 teams last year. Seems a pretty easy one for PSU to add

There were 52 teams last year. Seems a pretty easy one for PSU to add

We should be getting rid of teams, not adding. At what cost do we add another non revenue sport and where do we put outdoor volleyball courts and at what cost? Plus travel to Ca for matches?

It's very beachy in Happy Valley. It only makes sense for Penn State to have a beach volleyball team.

MONEY. :eek:

When they built Robinson Hall, they eliminated one of the two sand courts on campus.

It's very beachy in Happy Valley. It only makes sense for Penn State to have a beach volleyball team.

MONEY. :eek:

There are about 75 schools who play it, many of whom are hundreds of miles from the ocean (if the University of Nebraska can sponsor a team, there's no reason that PSU couldn't).

Last edited:
We should be getting rid of teams, not adding. At what cost do we add another non revenue sport and where do we put outdoor volleyball courts and at what cost? Plus travel to Ca for matches?

There are actually more schools in the eastern half of the US playing beach volleyball than there are in the west.

There are sand volleyball courts all over State College in the community parks. They get used a lot in the warmer weather. I have even seen the PSU Womens Team using one. Several years ago, when Collegiate beach volleyball started, PSU did send a team and they got smoked. Not sure why they don't go anymore but doubles beach volleyball is a different game then a 6 person team on a court where jumping and moving is way easier. Some players, the more athletic ones, can make the transition easily some can't.

C'mon, use the existing infrastructure: dig out a court at midfield in the Beave.

Set up seating on the field around the sand pit and can we can get 120K.

I'm ready.
VwUPsqM.jpg

Reactions: PSUoh90
When they built Robinson Hall, they eliminated one of the two sand courts on campus.

There are sand volleyball courts all over State College in the community parks. They get used a lot in the warmer weather. I have even seen the PSU Womens Team using one. Several years ago, when Collegiate beach volleyball started, PSU did send a team and they got smoked. Not sure why they don't go anymore but doubles beach volleyball is a different game then a 6 person team on a court where jumping and moving is way easier. Some players, the more athletic ones, can make the transition easily some can't.

Existing sand courts aren't going to cut it. As someone that plays low level competitive volleyball both indoor and outdoor, I can tell you that the vast majority of community sand volleyball courts are crap, and they are nowhere near ready for use at this sort of level. If PSU were to add the sport, they'd need to construct new courts. For someone of PSU athletic department's financial position though, building a few beach courts would be a pretty minimal expense.

My apologies for not including a winky emoji. I was JOKING about teh outdoor courts at North Halls. Given Pennsylvania weather, we'd have to maintain both indoor and outdoor facilities. Either way, I think that we already sponsor more than enough varsity sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT