ADVERTISEMENT

coaches show w Cael tonight

Same excuse they gave when Gopher redshirts tried to get in last season. They tried to get in early so it wasn't a last minute thing and one of the wrestlers is local to NU so it made sense. It later came out that they didn't want Midlands treated as a JV tourney with teams only sending backups and redshirts but no starters. I used to attend Midlands and along with friends and family was pretty disappointed.

Haha, this is that hilarious backwards thinking that occasionally pops up in our sport, like Kevin Jackson revoking a scholly from a 'commit' who visits another school.

"HURR DURR we have an ELITE mindset and settling is not in our vocabulary"
[turns away great wrestlers who would like to compete and who fans would like to see]
"The Midlands has a long tradition of excellence; it will NOT become a JV Tournament"
[attendance, on the mat and in the stands, plummets]

When having a mindset of a champion gets in your way of making sound decisions...

Same excuse they gave when Gopher redshirts tried to get in last season. They tried to get in early so it wasn't a last minute thing and one of the wrestlers is local to NU so it made sense. It later came out that they didn't want Midlands treated as a JV tourney with teams only sending backups and redshirts but no starters. I used to attend Midlands and along with friends and family was pretty disappointed.
Hall's fault for only making the JV squad.

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
Haha, this is that hilarious backwards thinking that occasionally pops up in our sport, like Kevin Jackson revoking a scholly from a 'commit' who visits another school.

"HURR DURR we have an ELITE mindset and settling is not in our vocabulary"
[turns away great wrestlers who would like to compete and who fans would like to see]
"The Midlands has a long tradition of excellence; it will NOT become a JV Tournament"
[attendance, on the mat and in the stands, plummets]

When having a mindset of a champion gets in your way of making sound decisions...
Another backwards thinking dinosaur is "officed" in Chicago, Jim Delany. Sounds like something he'd have his hand in ;)

I've got to see it to believe it, but If Cassar beats out McCutcheon (with the way McCutcheon is currently wrestling), you've got to like our chances in March - even without Hall.

Reactions: diggerpup
Morelli has been pretty good at 174 so far. I'm not sure how far he can go, but do wonder if he could sneak 8th.

Senor Roar... Why do we forgo wrestling at CKLV and Midlands? Those are quality tournaments. Vegas and Chicago are also much easier for travel than Chattanooga and Reno. Vegas could also provide for western exposure of the brand. What gives?
Not a coach, but close enough to the program to give an opinion (so Cody, when you read this, I hope I'm close :)).

CKLV Invitational and Midlands are quality tournaments, no doubt. So is the Scuffle, and I'm wondering...if we were wrestling in Chattanooga this year, would this question even come up? That aside, here's one man's thoughts;

There's many factors in building a schedule. Here's those that imo determine our tournament choices;

2 Tournaments Per Year. By all appearances, the coaches scheduling "model" will contain 2 tournaments per year, one in early December, the other in late-December, early January. The days (2009-10 and 2010-11) of having the Sprawl & Brawl Duals, the NLO, the Scuffle or Reno, AND the Virginia Duals, are gone. Too much wrestling, and with the theme of "keeping an eye on the prize", those days won't be seen any time soon, imo.
Historically (except for 2013 and 2016), the NLO (a money-maker) was held the first week of December, same weekend as the CKLV Invitational, which would be a costly trip (meaning $$$'s is also a factor).

Familiarity. 5 B1G teams attended CKLV last year, and 8 went to Midlands. Only 2 (Minny and MSU) sent starters to the Southern Scuffle last year, and Minnesota wasn't on our conference slate. Seeing a variety of wrestlers throughout the season, and not the same B1G guys, is a benefit.

Relationship with a Tournament. Tournaments develop relationships with teams, and many teams return to the same tournament year after year. Not all, mind you, but many. I can't say what our coaches opinions are about CKLV or Midlands, but I know they love the Scuffle.

Weather. Yeah, weather, at least for Midlands.

So that's my short list.
CKLV is inconvenient (travel & $$$'s) as compared to the NLO, or even the Keystone Classic, and as a tough tournament, may be too much, too early in the eyes of our coaches (my words). Remember, the prize is in March, not December. The coaches will only choose 1 early December tournament, and the smart money will be the NLO, or if they don't have it, then some other east coast tournament like the Classic.

Midlands has not been on the radar, I'm guessing, due to some past relationship situations with our coaches, the whole familiarity thing (remember, 8 B1G teams went in 2015), and the weather.

Lastly, don't lose sight of the 16 Competition Date limit. 9 Conference Duals, 1 Lehigh Dual, and 2 tournaments, and that leaves only 4 dates for "other" duals. The coaches shoot for 7 HOME Duals per year, complicated when negotiating (most teams want a home-and-away deal) contracts.

Not a coach, but close enough to the program to give an opinion (so Cody, when you read this, I hope I'm close :)).

CKLV Invitational and Midlands are quality tournaments, no doubt. So is the Scuffle, and I'm wondering...if we were wrestling in Chattanooga this year, would this question even come up? That aside, here's one man's thoughts;

There's many factors in building a schedule. Here's those that imo determine our tournament choices;

2 Tournaments Per Year. By all appearances, the coaches scheduling "model" will contain 2 tournaments per year, one in early December, the other in late-December, early January. The days (2009-10 and 2010-11) of having the Sprawl & Brawl Duals, the NLO, the Scuffle or Reno, AND the Virginia Duals, are gone. Too much wrestling, and with the theme of "keeping an eye on the prize", those days won't be seen any time soon, imo.
Historically (except for 2013 and 2016), the NLO (a money-maker) was held the first week of December, same weekend as the CKLV Invitational, which would be a costly trip (meaning $$$'s is also a factor).

Familiarity. 5 B1G teams attended CKLV last year, and 8 went to Midlands. Only 2 (Minny and MSU) sent starters to the Southern Scuffle last year, and Minnesota wasn't on our conference slate. Seeing a variety of wrestlers throughout the season, and not the same B1G guys, is a benefit.

Relationship with a Tournament. Tournaments develop relationships with teams, and many teams return to the same tournament year after year. Not all, mind you, but many. I can't say what our coaches opinions are about CKLV or Midlands, but I know they love the Scuffle.

So that's my short list.
CKLV is inconvenient (travel & $$$'s) as compared to the NLO, or even the Keystone Classic, and as a tough tournament, may be too much, too early in the eyes of our coaches (my words). Remember, the prize is in March, not December. The coaches will only choose 1 early December tournament, and the smart money will be the NLO, or if they don't have it, then some other east coast tournament like the Classic.

Midlands has not been on the radar, I'm guessing, due to some past relationship situations with our coaches, the whole familiarity thing (remember, 8 B1G teams went in 2015), and the weather.

Lastly, don't lose sight of the 16 Competition Date limit. 9 Conference Duals, 1 Lehigh Dual, and 2 tournaments, and that leaves only 4 dates for "other" duals. The coaches shoot for 7 HOME Duals per year, complicated when negotiating (most teams want a home-and-away deal) contracts.

Excellent takery here!

So that's my short list.

Seems like the team puts some thought into this

So that's my short list.

One thing to add re going to Vegas. it is the 1st weekend in December and that seems like the go to weekend for duals in the BJC. Tough to wrestle a tourney in Vegas Friday & Saturday and then a home dual on Sunday. The entire non conference part of the schedule hinges on when we can get a dual in the BJC.

So that's my short list.

Thank you for the thorough response Roar. Much appreciated.

Do y'all think 1/7/17 is too early of a comeback for V-Raptor? I'm eyeing the Franklin & Marshall Open. Should have decent competition.

Morelli has been pretty good at 174 so far. I'm not sure how far he can go, but do wonder if he could sneak 8th.
Geno has not beaten anyone yet.....I want to see Mark Hall in the line up....I think he is a must for us to repeat....He would win 174 this year and rack up bonus points....Neither guy is going to do that now in the line up...Not even close....

Geno has not beaten anyone yet.....I want to see Mark Hall in the line up....I think he is a must for us to repeat....He would win 174 this year and rack up bonus points....Neither guy is going to do that now in the line up...Not even close....
I get the cheerleading for Hall. I get this is part of your message board personality.

What I don't like is after the Hall cheer, you follow with an unnecessary negative take on both guys who currently wrestle 174 for Penn State.

Just me, but I would appreciate it if you just stuck to the overbearing promotion of the positive side of things.

You just cost the PSWC ) $250.00. Wilson a nobody?

Normally I don't like to preach but may want to stop taking whatever drugs you are taking
I feel pretty good that either geno or Rasheed can be an AA and not sure who you are thinking is a threat to us winning the championship

One might ask who Hall has beaten in folk.

Reactions: Gebmo
Let's say your statement is true.

Geno hasn't beaten anyone, yet.
The only anyone that Hall has faced beat him.

Normally I don't like to preach but may want to stop taking whatever drugs you are taking
I feel pretty good that either geno or Rasheed can be an AA and not sure who you are thinking is a threat to us winning the championship
I will say this. Rasheed didn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling of an AA after watching him shit the bed in the 2nd and 3rd against Preisch.

I will say this. Rasheed didn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling of an AA after watching him shit the bed in the 2nd and 3rd against Preisch.

I think:
1. Hall,even with all his undoubted abilities and accomplishments, may struggle against a number of kids this year. I am content to wait a year to allow him to benefit from a year of further maturity. To me, he always looks like he should be wrestling down one weight.

2. Obviously Rasheed still has to show some things.

3. Morelli - I have increased confidence in him this year; if he can maintain his newfound aggressiveness against the 2nd-3rd tier guys, before likely reverting to his more defensive approach with the top guys, I think he can do very well, and has good chance of AA.
Perhaps he just doesnt know how good he can be.

I think:
1. Hall,even with all his undoubted abilities and accomplishments, may struggle against a number of kids this year. I am content to wait a year to allow him to benefit from a year of further maturity. To me, he always looks like he should be wrestling down one weight.

2. Obviously Rasheed still has to show some things.

3. Morelli - I have increased confidence in him this year; if he can maintain his newfound aggressiveness against the 2nd-3rd tier guys, before likely reverting to his more defensive approach with the top guys, I think he can do very well, and has good chance of AA.
Perhaps he just doesnt know how good he can be.
Are you saying there might still be a little Pitt left in him?

Have to respectfully disagree with the notion that Hall would struggle with anyone this year. He is an elite talent who would dominate most opponents this year.

Have to respectfully disagree with the notion that Hall would struggle with anyone this year. He is an elite talent who would dominate most opponents this year.

You may have missed it but he already struggled and in fact lost to Brucki, who is currently ranked #20. Although I think he would probably be AA if he wrestled this season I respectfully disagree with the notion that Hall would be the NCAA champ this season as some here have stated as being a fact.

You may have missed it but he already struggled and in fact lost to Brucki, who is currently ranked #20. Although I think he would probably be AA if he wrestled this season I respectfully disagree with the notion that Hall would be the NCAA champ this season as some here have stated as being a fact.

You might know that he didn't even give up a takedown in that match. It was a highly fluky loss, with a poor strategy choice in the 3rd.
No one is stating anything as fact, this is all opinion, which is essentially the point of the message board.
We can agree to disagree.

Reactions: Onceafish
If an early season close loss to a ranked wrestler meant you werent winning a national championship, id wager that 90% of the freshman NCAA champs in history wouldn't have their titles.

You might know that he didn't even give up a takedown in that match. It was a highly fluky loss, with a poor strategy choice in the 3rd.
No one is stating anything as fact, this is all opinion, which is essentially the point of the message board.
We can agree to disagree.

If an early season close loss to a ranked wrestler meant you werent winning a national championship, id wager that 90% of the freshman NCAA champs in history wouldn't have their titles.
We all love us some Mark Hall. All NoVa was pointing out was the underlined and bolded 1st sentence as way presumptive at this time, and was giving a data-point as evidence. Heck, Mark may never lose again, and that would be fine with all of us, but to say he won't "struggle with anyone" as a true freshman is highly speculative right now

We will have another data-point coming up. All of us hope he wrestles well against the field at the Scuffle, and he may win it all...time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT