ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Show for 1/18 (See Cortez Update)

21 Guns wins, he was first to blink I think I lost a bet. Still can't believe he beat Spyker, embarrassing!;)

Spyker and I are not the only ones on this board, or in the fan base, who believe Hall's redshirt has to come off. I've seen at least 5 other posters, post the same thing. There is no need to act as if it is some sort of crazy, isolated opinion. It is not. The poll was close to 55-45.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
that's it for CS on the show.

seems a couple of you noted the news on Cortez. That is pretty damn discouraging.

Wow. So Cortez goes to Illinois out of high school and redshirts his first season. Then he decides to transfer to PSU and has to sit out the following season. Finally, this season he's in the starting lineup, wrestles eight matches, gets injured, and now may miss the rest of the season. That's rough.

Also, a healthy Cortez was probably good for at least a few very valuable team points at the NCAA tourney, and maybe a bit more. Without Cortez, it seems likely that PSU won't have a qualifier for the tournament. That hurts.

Spyker and I are not the only ones on this board, or in the fan base, who believe Hall's redshirt has to come off. I've seen at least 5 other posters, post the same thing. There is no need to act as if it is some sort of crazy, isolated opinion. It is not. The poll was close to 55-45.

The difference you ask?

Those other posters state their opinion once or twice.

On the other hand, You & Skyper have posted your stance on the Mark Hall redshirt about 6,359,500 times, give or take a 100,000.

Reactions: Creek Side

It's not about whether the view is reasonable or not--it definitely is a close question.

It's about relentlessly arguing like Mark Hall's life depended on burning his shirt, and you're the defense attorney he never asked for. There's nothing to win by posting the same point dozens of times, everyone who spends time here heard you the 50th time.

What SPYKER heard during the coaches show....

- looking back at Rutgers match:
* thought Rutgers did a great job but that's expected..we didnt suit up Mark Hall.
* they're doing things right, and didn't slow down because they were at Rec Hall in front of Mark Hall
* it's tough to wrestle for opponents in Rec Hall or on a mat with Mark Hall
* we matched up with them very well even without Mark Hall.

- talk about Bo's reversal and pin:
* Bo & Zain were joking about practicing that move, and from what he has found out they have been practicing it with Mark Hall
* was a tough match without Mark Hall
* good that we can score bonus points despite sitting Mark Hall

- how excited are you to see young guys at Carver Hawkeye
* our guys come to PSU expecting big matches, so they won't be affected by it especially Mark Hall.
* we recruit kids that are motivated by that opportunity... just look at Mark Hall
* Iowa fans are into it until we decide to start Mark Hall

- talk about Suriano vs. Gilman:
* Nick has to be himself and wrestle loose and smart....kinda like Mark Hall.
* Gilman is tough..but he's no Mark Hall.
* tough match for Suriano ... he'll want to come out and get things rolling ala Mark Hall.
* Gilman -- is good at what he does, real strong, good in all 3 positions, always trying to score points. He reminds you of a Mark Hall.

- any update on Jered Cortez:
* I don't think he's coming along real well unlike Mark Hall
* probably not going to be back this season but there's a chance we see Mark Hall.
* didn't go too well in practice this week but things were fine for Mark Hall
If Mark Hall were Cowbell, then this post would need more Cowbell. ;)

Last edited:
My only concern is/was injuries. Was worried this is where the Cortez situation was going. Not good.

My only concern is/was injuries. Was worried this is where the Cortez situation was going. Not good.

We're looking into Law, to wrestle off for 133. He'll need to get a number of matches in, and then qualify in the tournament. He has talent, and if they take 7, he has an outside chance. More than likely, looking at bringing 9 to St Louis now, rather then ten. It can be argued how many points Cortez MIGHT have had, but bringing 9 guarantees no more points, rather than an outside shot a a few points. Every point matters.

I know CS is a pretty straight shooter, but there are a few instances where we know he was challenging a guy to step up and overcome a physical setback, albeit in private (think back 58 months). Is there no chance that he's signaling to Cortez that this is his absolute last chance to push through and give it a go for 2017? I'm struggling to believe they had a plan to push him this week if the med staff didn't think it was relatively safe. I'm wondering if this isn't like offering to walk Frank to the tourney officials to withdraw in the quarters after the Sakaguchi (?) match.

He (Cael) is a straight-shooter, but he's limited to what he can and will tell us. We'll never know the details.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT