ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Show for 1/18 (See Cortez Update)

- Ironhead's show on Friday will start at 8:40

- looking back at Rutgers match:
* thought Rutgers did a great job
* they're doing things right, and didn't slow down because they were at Rec Hall
* it's tough to wrestle for opponents in Rec Hall
* we matched up with them very well

- talk about Bo's reversal and pin:
* Bo & Zain were joking about practicing that move, and from what he has found out they have been practicing it
* was a tough match before that point
* good that we can score bonus points

- how excited are you to see young guys at Carver Hawkeye
* our guys come to PSU expecting big matches, so they won't be affected by it
* we recruit kids that are motivated by that opportunity
* Iowa fans are into it

- talk about Suriano vs. Gilman:
* Nick has to be himself and wrestle loose and smart
* Gilman is tough
* tough match for Suriano ... he'll want to come out and get things rolling
* Gilman -- is good at what he does, real strong, good in all 3 positions, always trying to score points

- any update on Jered Cortez:
* I don't think he's coming along real well
* probably not going to be back this season
* didn't go too well in practice this week

Reactions: Sean Harp
- Ironhead's show on Friday will start at 8:40

* thought Rutgers did a great job
* they're doing things right, and didn't slow down because they were at Rec Hall
* it's tough to wrestle for opponents in Rec Hall
* we matched up with them very well

* Bo & Zain were joking about practicing that move, and from what he has found out they have been practicing it
* was a tough match before that point
* good that we can score bonus points

* our guys come to PSU expecting big matches, so they won't be affected by it
* we recruit kids that are motivated by that opportunity
* Iowa fans are into it

* Nick has to be himself and wrestle loose and smart
* Gilman is tough
* tough match for Suriano ... he'll want to come out and get things rolling
* Gilman -- is good at what he does, real strong, good in all 3 positions, always trying to score points

* I don't think he's coming along real well
* probably not going to be back this season
* didn't go too well in practice this week

Holy smokes, that is some pretty big news regarding Cortez.

- talk about Carpenter and Law at 133:
* George will give a great effort, and is getting better
* he's a little outmatched against the top guys
* Law is getting his weight down, and getting ready to go
* we'll have them wrestle-off soon

- question about Jimmy, but alas, my wife called so I missed it

- question about Zain & Nolf, but my wife wanted to chat. ;)

- Joseph getting more comfortable. Where do you see him in terms of development:
* he has a great gas tank
* he has a # of different attacks, very explosive, great hips
* if he does a good job with his weight, he does well
* weight is no longer a distraction

- are things getting settled at 174?
* Geno is a phenomenal kid (3.9 GPA), and his mindset and skills are better than last year
* only loss was to Rasheed
* we're still waiting for Rasheed to get healthy where they can wrestle off
* that may not happen -- we'll see

- how is Cassar developing?
* he's tough
* it's a shame that he's lost 2 years
* he's working every day, even through injury
* one of the last guys out of the room
* it's just a tough call
* we think McCutcheon is an AA if he goes out and makes it happen
* we're playing it by feel -- talking to the doctors, the trainers
* we haven't wrestled the two yet
* McCutcheon is pretty darn good
* you have to earn your spot
* we're happy with McCutcheon -- need a great effort from him this weekend
* shoulder injuries are tough

- if he doesn't compete this year will you petition for a medical redshirt?
* it's a little tricky
* it's not a slam dunk, because he competed in May of last year
* we're still kind of waiting
* personal things involved, lot of documentation
* you never know with the NCAA

- talk about Nevills and what he brings to heavyweight:
* he has a lot of ways to score points
* he's great at scrambling
* we saw that in the finals of the Keystone Classic
* he can shoot both sides
* he's great on top
* he'll have a great opportunity against Stoll
* Stoll is a great kid -- controls the center of the mat
* clash of differing styles

- is there extra excitement in the room this week?
* it's hard to say
* we don't put any emphasis on it
* you don't have to tell a competitor to step it up
* just clearing obstacles out of their way
* it's like any other match, but that's not really true
* they know what's on the line

and that's a wrap for the show. due to the mens' BB, they didn't have a wrestler on the show, or another PSU coach on the show.

Oh that's really too bad about Cortez. He seemed as pumped as anyone coming into this season to be on this team.

Reactions: diggerpup
The news regarding Anthony doesn't sound much better unfortunately.

I wouldn't characterize what CS said about Cassar as not sounding good. Coach seemed to be careful to balance the fact that Cassar has has a tough time with the injuries, but works hard, and also the fact that they think Cutch is really good, and has done a nice job. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from what CS said -- he basically indicated that it's a difficult situation on a personal level, but a good situation from a team perspective.

Reactions: Sean Harp
that's it for CS on the show.

seems a couple of you noted the news on Cortez. That is pretty damn discouraging.

Also, didn't perfectly understand what Cael was saying about Cassar's remaining eligibility. Anthony red-shifted last year, no? So he was a rsFR this year correct? Why would last year impact his ability to apply for a medical red-shirt?

Thanks Tom!! Appreciate your efforts! The Cortez news sucks!:(

In reading what I wrote on Cortez, I feel I should add something. I'm keying in quick takes while CS and Ironhead are chatting away, and I don't always capture everything.

If I recall correctly, CS indicated that they thought Cortez was coming along, and as a result they tried to push him this week in practice to see if he was ready or close to ready to return, but that things did not go well. He was very careful to not disclose any details, just a general sense.

The comment from CS about Cortez probably not going to be back this season was not a response to any type of follow-up question -- it was a continuation of his response to the question on if he had any type of update on Cortez.

I wouldn't characterize what CS said about Cassar as not sounding good. Coach seemed to be careful to balance the fact that Cassar has has a tough time with the injuries, but works hard, and also the fact that they think Cutch is really good, and has done a nice job. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from what CS said -- he basically indicated that it's a difficult situation on a personal level, but a good situation from a team perspective.

Cool beans....I took the comment about shoulder injuries being tough to recover from to suggest that maybe AC's injury was still impacting his wrestling...

Also, didn't perfectly understand what Cael was saying about Cassar's remaining eligibility. Anthony red-shifted last year, no? So he was a rsFR this year correct? Why would last year impact his ability to apply for a medical red-shirt?

Listening live, I got the sense they are considering giving Cassar a shot wrestling off against Cutch but it's complicated. The main consideration is obviously Anthony's long term health. At the same time Cael feels MM is good enough to earn a spot on the podium in March. He's a known commodity and Cael believes in him. But he also feels he owes AC (and every backup) shot. Just my $.02

As for the possibility of AC (eventually) petitioning the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility, people need to keep in mind AC is a Jersey boy possibly earning a fraction of a scholarship at a school where the out of state cost of attendance is $50,000/year. I don't know a thing about AC's personal situation, but there are a lot of families who struggle with the four year cost, let alone adding a redshirt year and a sixth year. It's not for everyone.

No Cassar, no Cortez, no Rasheed. This sucks.
I have been telling this board we MUST have Mark Hall for Nationals !!!! I like Geno but he would not even come close to the points we need to win it from Mark Hall....

I have been telling this board we MUST have Mark Hall for Nationals !!!! I like Geno but he would not even come close to the points we need to win it from Mark Hall....

like a damn clock, except they only repeat themselves twice a day. you can exceed that number in an hour.

Wrestling National Championships won:

CS:
Team - 5; Individual - 4

Spyker:

No person is perfect, but CS has a track record that suggests he has a pretty good clue as to what is needed, and who to send out on the mat.

What's Law's history? Could he be a step up at 133?

And thanks Tom, good job.
from the roster:
Year-by-Year:

2015-16: Redshirt season...6-6 in open tournaments as an unattached grappler...had two pins and a tech fall.

High School/Personal:

Law wrestled for Windber’s Forest Hills High School...was a four-year letterman, earning three straight state medals...placed sixth as a sophomore, fifth as a junior and fourth as a senior...was a three-time District Champion and won the regional title as a senior...an IST major at Penn State.

2015-16: Redshirt season...6-6 in open tournaments as an unattached grappler...had two pins and a tech fall.

CLICK HERE for details on each match

As far as I can tell, he has not wrestled in any Opens this season.

So basically, other than the fact that some of us saw Tristan wrestle in HS in PA, we know no more about him than we did about George Carpenter before he entered the lineup as a replacement for Cortez.

CLICK HERE for details on each match

As far as I can tell, he has not wrestled in any Opens this season.

So basically, other than the fact that some of us saw Tristan wrestle in HS in PA, we know no more about him than we did about George Carpenter before he entered the lineup as a replacement for Cortez.

Tristan is a guy who, IMO, has the ability to surprise. The Laws are tough hombres (for those not still following Cody is ranked #2 at 57 in DII).

Their coach taught them some good technique. He must've been a pretty good wrestler at a decent school ;)

Bummer, this is discouraging news, feel bad for these guys who are trying to get healthy :(

I'm certainly not questioning Cael, but at the risk of being tarred and feathered.... was CS asked about Mark? Sorry didn't listen to broadcast.

Bummer, this is discouraging news, feel bad for these guys who are trying to get healthy :(

I'm certainly not questioning Cael, but at the risk of being tarred and feathered.... was CS asked about Mark? Sorry didn't listen to broadcast.
Somebody asked. He said, "Why, you have a plan?" The questioner was last seen running to the bathroom with pee running down his leg.

What SPYKER heard during the coaches show....

* thought Rutgers did a great job but that's expected..we didnt suit up Mark Hall.
* they're doing things right, and didn't slow down because they were at Rec Hall in front of Mark Hall
* it's tough to wrestle for opponents in Rec Hall or on a mat with Mark Hall
* we matched up with them very well even without Mark Hall.

* Bo & Zain were joking about practicing that move, and from what he has found out they have been practicing it with Mark Hall
* was a tough match without Mark Hall
* good that we can score bonus points despite sitting Mark Hall

* our guys come to PSU expecting big matches, so they won't be affected by it especially Mark Hall.
* we recruit kids that are motivated by that opportunity... just look at Mark Hall
* Iowa fans are into it until we decide to start Mark Hall

* Nick has to be himself and wrestle loose and smart....kinda like Mark Hall.
* Gilman is tough..but he's no Mark Hall.
* tough match for Suriano ... he'll want to come out and get things rolling ala Mark Hall.
* Gilman -- is good at what he does, real strong, good in all 3 positions, always trying to score points. He reminds you of a Mark Hall.

* I don't think he's coming along real well unlike Mark Hall
* probably not going to be back this season but there's a chance we see Mark Hall.
* didn't go too well in practice this week but things were fine for Mark Hall

I've never seen you post anything like this before.

Did you just come up with this ?

You should have told us earlier.

In your next email to Cael, ask him if he has a plan.

EDIT: Tikk10 beat me to it. Darn it. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT