ADVERTISEMENT

CNN Headline on Paterno

Joe was directly asked whether he knew about another incident, under oath, in his GJ testimony. He stated:

"I do not know of anything else that Jerry would be involved in of that nature, no. I do not know of it. You did mention - - I think you said something about a rumor. It may have been discussed in my presence, something else about somebody. I don't know. I don't remember, and i can not honestly say I heard a rumor."

Joe doesn't confirm or deny that he heard of another incident. He gives the impression that he MAY have heard a "rumor", and just fluffed it off as bogus.

Because the state's lead investigator (Lauro) not only sent Sandusky a personalized letter, but made a personal phone call to Sandusky assuring him that the 1998 charges were "unfounded", and not to worry about anything, Joe could have very EASILY just forgot about it. ESPECIALLY if he wasn't directly involved in the investigation and was told over a decade earlier it was bogus.

On the other hand, McQueary never said a THING about Joe telling him of a "second incident" until two weeks AFTER the GJP made 1998 public. Funny he forgot about that little insignificant piece of info until the rest of the Universe knew about it

Even "funnier" is that the police decided to memorialize hearsay but neglected to confirm it with the source. That leads me to a number of conclusions, none of which are good.

Joe was directly asked whether he knew about another incident, under oath, in his GJ testimony. He stated:

"I do not know of anything else that Jerry would be involved in of that nature, no. I do not know of it. You did mention - - I think you said something about a rumor. It may have been discussed in my presence, something else about somebody. I don't know. I don't remember, and i can not honestly say I heard a rumor."

Joe doesn't confirm or deny that he heard of another incident. He gives the impression that he MAY have heard a "rumor", and just fluffed it off as bogus.

Because the state's lead investigator (Lauro) not only sent Sandusky a personalized letter, but made a personal phone call to Sandusky assuring him that the 1998 charges were "unfounded", and not to worry about anything, Joe could have very EASILY just forgot about it. ESPECIALLY if he wasn't directly involved in the investigation and was told over a decade earlier it was bogus.

On the other hand, McQueary never said a THING about Joe telling him of a "second incident" until two weeks AFTER the GJP made 1998 public. Funny he forgot about that little insignificant piece of info until the rest of the Universe knew about it.
I don't put nearly as much weight on Joe's testimony or interviews as most people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mixolydian
Even "funnier" is that the police decided to memorialize hearsay but neglected to confirm it with the source. That leads me to a number of conclusions, none of which are good.
Its a great point, Art. I feel like the cops knew JS was dirty and were going to do whatever they needed to do to put him behind bars. In retrospect, an admirable thing to do. But the politicos got involved, then the press, and there was no turning back for anyone. It was a snowball down the hill, kept getting bigger and faster and nobody was willing to step in front of that mess to try and stop it (wouldn't have helped anyway, see Franco Harris).

What did the university procedure say in February 2001 about reporting suspected sex assaults?

If you find a copy of it, you'll have your answer.

Right after he became president, Erickson appointed an Ethics Officer specifically to review whether procedures were properly followed. Let me know when you find his report.

The DOE specifically asked PSU for all their procedures from 2001(2002). Five years later they released their Clery Act report. Let me know where find the relevant procedures cited in that report.

The NCAA specifically asked PSU to cite whether they had procedures in 2001(2002) and whether or not they were followed. Let me know when you find any hint that PSU provided those procedures to the NCAA.

Frazier informed the board (twice) that Freeh was reviewing all the procedures from 2001. Freeh's press release states he reviewed all the relevant procedures. Let me know when you find where he either cites or includes the relevant procedure for reporting sex assault anywhere in the Freeh Report.
In my best Hardy-Har-Har voice:
Oh me, oh my, but that would require woooooooork, Lippy.
triston_by_skyraptor.jpg

Reactions: Zenophile
so, please explain the reason for this timing?

The article was timed, and its publication was withheld, so as to coincide with Penn State's first "big" game of the year, thereby drawing as much attention as possible to it.

That fact by itself does not speak to the credibility of the piece, but it does point up that Sara was trying hard to dress it up as some kind of bombshell, which it is NOT.

In fact, the key supposed revelation -- that Joe had knowledge of one previous situation -- is old news. It's already been established pretty clearly that he was aware of the 1998 investigation of an encounter between Sandusky and a minor in a shower.

Anyway, after a few initial headlines, Sara's big scoop appears to have pretty much disappeared into the ether. Now hopefully she'll get her butt on a plane to Florida or maybe even Iraq and do some real reporting. If CNN still does any of that.

I asked people who say what you say to speak to or call people at child agencies and ask if what JP did at that time (2001) was correct, and if going beyond what he did would be the right thing to do.
Did they ask if going to police or calling childline is a good move or nah?

Guys, when are we going to move on? Against all odds, we're back in the national championship conversation. Unfairly and outrageously, the bastards tried to kill the program and failed. And here we are, with one of the best young coaches in the country, in the first month of the season, looking at a top-5 ranking and a real shot at the playoffs. Yet, we jabber on and on about past history. Screw it, man. Forget it.

Look, here's the hard freakin' fact of the matter: Joe's story is the stuff of Greek tragedy. A good man and great coach undone by the all too human failings of pride and cowardice. He stayed on too long, and in the end his judgment failed him. In the end, it became not about the team or the university, but about Joe. Which is ironic because if there was any one thing Joe preached during the Great Years, it was the team over the individual.

As much as people want it to be, this is not a black or white story. The people who worship Joe and won't let go are wrong. And the people who want to demonize him are equally wrong. The hard reality is in the middle, where most reality is. Let it go for God's sake. The haters are going to hate. And those who prefer living with blinders on will do that. Meanwhile, a lot of us just want to savor the moment. Mid-September. A top-5 ranking. 110,000 fans in the stadium.

It's time to move on.
You see, here is the problem with this kind of thinking - this has nothing to do with football!! This is about truth and justice. You know, the kind of important stuff that generations of people gave their lives to protect?? The rights that we all hold so dear. The rights we expect will be granted to ourselves or our loved ones should we ever find ourselves in the wrong place at the wrong time?? We have a right to expect our media to tell the truth (you know, that whole 4th estate thingy?) We have a right to expect an unbiased judiciary. We have a right to expect due process. I could go on and on. But I can tell you this.........I would rather never win another ****ing football game if the price is moving on from defending someone who had their rights stripped away from them and is still being unfairly maligned almost 6 years later. And YOU would want people to fight for your rights too.

You are hurt that I don't warship your hero, this you have a reason to make BS up. Mike had no reason to make up what he said about Paterno. None.

Ah, so you're saying that according to the OAG's "fauctual accounting" of the story -- Mike McQueary himself, his father and Dr. Dranov all should have CLEARLY been charged with Felony Obstruction of Justice for acting as an "Accessory After the Fact" in not calling in the Criminal Sexual Assault "Anal-Rape" of a 10 Year Old Child In-Progress despite the OAG stating in their Presentment that this is what Mike McQueary "saw" and eyewitnessed and then told both his father and Dr. Dranov that this is what he "saw" and eyewitnessed while the incident was still in-progress and Sandusky was at Lasch with the child?

So why weren't Mike McQueary, his Father and Dr. Dranov arrested and charged genius? It is beyond clear that they committed a super-serious Felony punishable by long jail terms if the OAG's lies are to be taken as factual evidence without question or Courtroom scruitiny?

BTW @sshat, being told an obtuse, non-descriptive hearsay report that included no description of a Sexual Assault, let alone an act, (this according to none other than Mike McQueary himself under oath in a PA Court of law multiple times) well AFTER THE FACT by a party who at the same time tells you that he, nor his father or family friend Dr. Dranov (who JVP also knew well) called police because they didn't think it was serious enough to do, but instead decided Mike should report it to his employer via his HR protocol which is why he was there.... IS NOT CRIMINAL! Your assertion that The State would not press charges on parties committing CRIMINAL FELONY "ACCESORY AFTER THE FACT" and "AIDING & ABETTING" a RAPIST of a 10 year old child by CRIMINALLY NOT CALLING authorities, but would press "misdemeanor" FTR charges under CPSL for failing to understand an obtuse report several weeks after the fact is BEYOND ABSURD you phucking twit!!!

With the benefit of hindsight, sure. That applies to all the people that had knowledge of the situation. But looking at the actions of everybody that had knowledge of the situation, not one of them reacted in a way that made it appear that they knew they were dealing with a sexual assault.

Getmyjive11 is an expert once the facts come out..... The greatest failure anyone can have is judging those involved based on what we know today, and not what was known at the time. In this situation, Getmyjive11 failed, and is a failure.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Would you agree that as a mandatory reporter, Dranov failed in his duties?

No. I would say he made a terrible mistake based on some thought process he underwent at the time. I guarantee that process wasn't he better hide the truth of Sandusky for the name of football at Penn State.

Honestly, I think jive is just hellbent on believing Joe is to blame for what happened. You can present all the points you want but he is just going to throw out parts of Joe quotes without context. I think he is entirely different from some of the trolls on here. I think he is a Penn State fan. I just think he is blind to any other opinions that could contradict his pre-determined beliefs.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Honestly, I think jive is just hellbent on believing Joe is to blame for what happened. You can present all the points you want but he is just going to throw out parts of Joe quotes without context. I think he is entirely different from some of the trolls on here. I think he is a Penn State fan. I just think he is blind to any other opinions that could contradict his pre-determined beliefs.

His agenda is not yet fully exposed. He claims he wants to temper those that recognize the contributions Paterno made. Weird.

Reactions: Mixolydian
No. I would say he made a terrible mistake based on some thought process he underwent at the time. I guarantee that process wasn't he better hide the truth of Sandusky for the name of football at Penn State.

I guarantee that neither Dr. Dranov or Mike's Dad thought the child was being Sexually Assaulted, let alone "anally raped", based on what Mike was telling them which is ABSOLUTELY the point. It is only a CRIME and a CRIMINAL ACT if you intentionally do not call in an OBVIOUS crime of this nature to the direct and severe detriment of the victim (ditto any crime involving a firearm). What the OAG alleges in their Presentment as "FACT" (i.e., MM saw and eyewitnessed the child being "subjected to anal rape" and "told" both his father and Dr. D that "he saw the child being subjected to anal rape") is beyond absurd and if the OAG themselves actually believed this nonsense bull$hit, they would have arrested and charged Mike McQueary, John McQueary and Dr. Dranov.....and not arresting them is unconscionable if they really believe these men intentionally did not call police despite knowing without question a "child was being subjected to anal rape".

Reactions: WeR0206 and m.knox
I guarantee that neither Dr. Dranov or Mike's Dad thought the child was being Sexually Assaulted, let alone "anally raped", based on what Mike was telling them which is ABSOLUTELY the point. It is only a CRIME and a CRIMINAL ACT if you intentionally do not call in an OBVIOUS crime of this nature to the direct and severe detriment of the victim (ditto any crime involving a firearm). What the OAG alleges in their Presentment as "FACT" (i.e., MM saw and eyewitnessed the child being "subjected to anal rape" and "told" both his father and Dr. D that "he saw the child being subjected to anal rape") is beyond absurd and if the OAG themselves actually believed this nonsense bull$hit, they would have arrested and charged Mike McQueary, John McQueary and Dr. Dranov.....and not arresting them is unconscionable if they really believe these men intentionally did not call police despite knowing without question a "child was being subjected to anal rape".

All Getmyjive11 can say is "Paterno failed". Nothing more, nothing less. It's like he's a trained parrot and someone is giving him a cracker for positive reinforcement.

Wonder who?

I have not read this whole thread, but what I don't hear anybody saying is that the police report in question tells us:

A) The police, themselves, knew a hell of a lot more about what was going on than Joe would have been told,

and, more importantly,

B) There's written, official proof that Joe considered Mike's report to be "similar" to the "earlier" incident, in which no accusation of sexual abuse had occurred.

You didn't answer my question regarding Dranov. Why?

This is exactly what I won't post my "agenda" again. You weirdos can't accept it.

Your agenda is predicated on directly attacking the character of one man. One man who admittedly made a mistake. One man who contributed a great deal to "our" University.

You have a problem with that man. And it isn't because some of us appreciate his contribution. For you, it is personal. It's obvious.

Reactions: Lefty Hill
Change your first sentence to be pro Paterno and you've described the Joe worshipers to a tee.

Change your first sentence to be pro Paterno and you've described the Joe worshipers to a tee.

What's it say about you Mike McQueary worshipers that you worship him as a hero for intentionally ignoring and not calling in seeing and eyewitnessing a 10 year old child "being subjected to anal rape"? What's it say about you worshipers and defenders of the entire McQueary family when not only Mike McQueary did not call police, but neither did his father when told by his son, while the event was in progress and police/authorities could be sent to scene, that a 10 year old child was being "subjected to anal rape"?

No "warship". Appreciation, yes. Paterno did quite a bit for the University. Not to overlook the mistake, but undeniably, he did a lot for the University.

Your agenda is predicated on directly attacking the character of one man. One man who admittedly made a mistake. One man who contributed a great deal to "our" University.

You have a problem with that man. And it isn't because some of us appreciate his contribution. For you, it is personal. It's obvious.
I said everyone involved failed and you say one man. Pathetic how you just make things up in your head.

I said everyone involved failed and you say one man. Pathetic how you just make things up in your head.

Your energy is entirely directed at "Paterno failed". I've noted this before.

You do realize this is the sole reason that individuals other than myself are arguing with you? Or are we all pathetic to your absolute view on Sandusky?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT