ADVERTISEMENT

St. Josephs prep: the new Berwick...

Psugo823

Aug 17, 2021
...So, now it's becoming clear. Who is the anti-psu mole there that keeps sending these kids anywhere but PSU? What is going on? It's obvious that Franklin has a hater in that program, the way that Curry hated Paterno back in the day at Berwick.

Reactions: aworsnup
...So, now it's becoming clear. Who is the anti-psu mole there that keeps sending these kids anywhere but PSU? What is going on? It's obvious that Franklin has a hater in that program, the way that Curry hated Paterno back in the day at Berwick.
This isn't a new thing. After Quintus McDonald, PSU seemingly never got any Aliquippa kids, and that's recently changed. Also, PSU always would be shut out of the really good Woodland Hills kids under Paterno. I'm sure that the reverse is true in that certain schools are pipelines to PSU rather than other schools.

Also, am I correct that many of the SJP kids aren't even from PA? If that's true, then they really don't feel any pressure or loyalty to stay home.

Some are from the tri state area but most are Pa and especially suburbs. From what I’ve heard they like OSU and promote it because they are around the program a lot

As good as Berwick was in their heyday, they only had a portion of the talent at St. Joe’s. Mostly, they had a bunch of FCS/D2 kids that were really well coached and tough. Other than Powlus and Bo Orlando, did PSU ever really miss on a Berwick kid who would’ve really helped?

This isn't a new thing. After Quintus McDonald, PSU seemingly never got any Aliquippa kids, and that's recently changed. Also, PSU always would be shut out of the really good Woodland Hills kids under Paterno. I'm sure that the reverse is true in that certain schools are pipelines to PSU rather than other schools.

Also, am I correct that many of the SJP kids aren't even from PA? If that's true, then they really don't feel any pressure or loyalty to stay home.
McDonald was from montclair nj.

As good as Berwick was in their heyday, they only had a portion of the talent at St. Joe’s. Mostly, they had a bunch of FCS/D2 kids that were really well coached and tough. Other than Powlus and Bo Orlando, did PSU ever really miss on a Berwick kid who would’ve really helped?
Kelchner

He had a good career at WVU (I know he went to Notre Dame 1st). We had Collins at QB in 92 (with John Sacco) and 93. Would Kelchner have beat out those guys?
Who knows.

I would guess that he would have beat out John sacca. Would not beat out Collins.

Wvu was undefeated in the 93 regular season. Ranked 2nd/3rd going into the bowls. Lost in the bowl and finished 6th. Ahead of psu.

Berwick was extremely well coached. How well coached? They went through the playoffs several times without a penalty or a turnover.
I saw them play Allentown Central Catholic twice where the Vikings had far more talent. The difference was George Curry and staff. They out coached Jim Morgans’ staff and made them panic going away from their strengths far too quickly.

Some are from the tri state area but most are Pa and especially suburbs. From what I’ve heard they like OSU and promote it because they are around the program a lot

OSU had 0 blue chip recruits from 2010 up until they got Harrison and Mccord.

Berwick was extremely well coached. How well coached? They went through the playoffs several times without a penalty or a turnover.
I saw them play Allentown Central Catholic twice where the Vikings had far more talent. The difference was George Curry and staff. They out coached Jim Morgans’ staff and made them panic going away from their strengths far too quickly.
Yup. Curry was a tremendous coach. Berwick had good, tough kids but not elite, freakishly talented players. But they did have a great coach in all aspects of the game. Go look at what Curry and Berwick did to Aliquippa when the quips were loaded and boasted Sean Gilbert on the defensive line.

Not really.

Prep is a Catholic school. They have a segment of Notre Dame love from the start.

PSU lost a few kids that basically EVERYONE wanted. Harrison was the best WR in college. He was also of Syracuse lineage and his father was probably snubbed back in the day. Trotter JR is also NFL lineage. We lost him to Clemson. Deandre Swift went to Georgia.

It is a little different recruiting vs Alabama, OSU, Georgia and Clemson for 5*s and really high 4*s. It is not like beating out Pitt and WVU for a 3* from Central Catholic. We lost a few of their 4*s to Notre Dame too.

PSU could probably sign 2-3 SJP kids a year if they wanted. Problem is they would be losing ground to OSU. There was a couple kids last year CBd to PSU. The QB was originally CBd to PSU, then WVU and he ended up at Cincinnati. The WR Rahmen was also CBd to PSU at one time. I think he ended up at WVU.

Is Prep even the best team in Philly? I am thinking Imhotep.

Yup. Curry was a tremendous coach. Berwick had good, tough kids but not elite, freakishly talented players. But they did have a great coach in all aspects of the game. Go look at what Curry and Berwick did to Aliquippa when the quips were loaded and boasted Sean Gilbert on the defensive line.
He was a task master, but also a very good offensive coach. He basically ran a pro style offense with multiple formations and personnel groups. He was multiple at a time where that was virtually unheard of at the high school level. When he had a smart and talented QB at the helm it was lights out.

Reactions: hlstone
Mike West was their stud QB in the 80s. Might have gone to Temple. I think that was his name, before Pawlus. Gus was controversial, going to Berwick from Philly.

Mike West was their stud QB in the 80s. Might have gone to Temple. I think that was his name, before Pawlus. Gus was controversial, going to Berwick from Philly.
More than just him

West, bo Orlando, Jake kelchner, joe kelchner? (not sure if he was a QB or just safety), Paulus and others. His grandson was QB a few years ago. I think he went to esu.

That is probably 4 or 5 in a row who went division 1. After that I lost track.

Not really.

Prep is a Catholic school. They have a segment of Notre Dame love from the start.

PSU lost a few kids that basically EVERYONE wanted. Harrison was the best WR in college. He was also of Syracuse lineage and his father was probably snubbed back in the day. Trotter JR is also NFL lineage. We lost him to Clemson. Deandre Swift went to Georgia.

It is a little different recruiting vs Alabama, OSU, Georgia and Clemson for 5*s and really high 4*s. It is not like beating out Pitt and WVU for a 3* from Central Catholic. We lost a few of their 4*s to Notre Dame too.

PSU could probably sign 2-3 SJP kids a year if they wanted. Problem is they would be losing ground to OSU. There was a couple kids last year CBd to PSU. The QB was originally CBd to PSU, then WVU and he ended up at Cincinnati. The WR Rahmen was also CBd to PSU at one time. I think he ended up at WVU.

Is Prep even the best team in Philly? I am thinking Imhotep.
Good post!

Anthony Sacca is the latest of the type you mentioned. He’s a legacy, but seems to have no interest in PSU.

More than just him

West, bo Orlando, Jake kelchner, joe kelchner? (not sure if he was a QB or just safety), Paulus and others. His grandson was QB a few years ago. I think he went to esu.

That is probably 4 or 5 in a row who went division 1. After that I lost track.
West was before my time. Dave Robbins was the QB after Powlus, like a year or two after. He went to Boston College, but don’t think he ever saw the field. He graduated in maybe 96, and I think he was Curry’s last stud QB. He certainly had a smattering of FBS players during his 4 in a row state title run, but no superstars like Powlus or Kelchner.

West was before my time. Dave Robbins was the QB after Powlus, like a year or two after. He went to Boston College, but don’t think he ever saw the field. He graduated in maybe 96, and I think he was Curry’s last stud QB. He certainly had a smattering of FBS players during his 4 in a row state title run, but no superstars like Powlus or Kelchner.
That is about 6 in a row who went division 1.

West(temple), Orlando (wvu), kelchner(ND and wvu), joe kelchner(unlv, transfered to d2), Paulus( Notre Dame) Robbins(bc). I think there were others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT