ADVERTISEMENT

Clifford NIL jackpot for the OL?

Mark Wahlberg Chevy just gave Jack Sawyer a truck.

This is what we are up against.

Thanks for the heads up and informative subject line. This will be the last time I open an NIL thread as I prefer to do everything I can to pretend that this remains the sport I fell in love with as a kid.
It's over. Move on.

I know it won't stop at this. This isn't too bad, though. Even our "Previous Head Coach" thought kids should have a stipend to treat friends to pizza occasionally. Being broke all the time doesn't instill much pride.
I agree with Jim that this is a negative distraction and will change the dynamics of the sport until the educational side is even further down the line in some top recruits minds.
I also agreed with JoePa that the amount of work put in to earn their scholarship precludes them from flipping burgers at The Hub (like I did Fall of 86) for spending cash. IF the NCAA had managed this differently from the start we wouldn't be in a world where a QB who hasn't taken a college snap (Young, Bruce) is earning more than our University President.
And who is managing the process and getting opportunities for these kids? Their parents? Agents? (Enis and Joey J rolling over in PSU bowl shame). Maybe themselves? Which could provide enough of a distraction to allow for mental errors on the field.
In reading many of the July PSU recruits commitments "Family Atmosphere" and "Education" were still the constant themes for why they chose State. Sounds familiar right???
Recently a Top 50 high school players list was published. We didn't have any of them, although quite a few misses and PA kids were there. So we are not typically getting the 5 Star glamour guys anyway. NIL won't change that. I'm doing my best to ignore the noise and look forward to sitting with some buddies in the last row of upper deck South end zone seats that I was lucky enough to buy when Ticketmaster opened up single game sales, and seeing us beat Michigan for the 3rd time in a row at home. Ready for some 🏈!

Thanks for the heads up and informative subject line. This will be the last time I open an NIL thread as I prefer to do everything I can to pretend that this remains the sport I fell in love with as a kid.
The NCAA is to blame for the current state of affairs. They've had years to come up with a comprehensive plan to address stipends and player compensation, but chose to do nothing. The NCAA is unable to investigate and enforce actual rules violations, but extorted sanctions for a criminal matter unrelated to competition or academics. Got their asses handed to them in court. No foresight, just reactionary decision making.

The NCAA is to blame for the current state of affairs. They've had years to come up with a comprehensive plan to address stipends and player compensation, but chose to do nothing. The NCAA is unable to investigate and enforce actual rules violations, but extorted sanctions for a criminal matter unrelated to competition or academics. Got their asses handed to them in court. No foresight, just reactionary decision making.

emmert’s got this.

I am happy these guys are happy but man, the NIL stuff happening at other places is crazy. Free lunches, or National Dr. Pepper campaign? Wow.

Jim you are looking at this all wrong. Just think how many math majors will sell their NIL to support their edumacation.

Reactions: step.eng69
Yeah, the college football we knew and loved is gone. This new version will likely survive in some form, however. It’s like music. The music today isn’t really the same rock, R&B, and country we grew up on, but it’s not horrible. Just not the same.

Time will tell. I think amateurism has a significant appeal.
I think interest in the Olympics has waned for sports featuring professionals. The '92 Dream Team was a novelty, but since then...No one particularly cares about rooting for a Professional at the Olympics that they just watched at Wimbledon, The Masters, or the NBA playoffs. Once every 4 years, people care about swimming, gymnastics, and 100M dashes. When the olympics is effectively just another World cup, ATP event, or lower-level NBA playoffs, it's less appealing.

IMHO, the further CFB strays from amateurism and looks more like an NFL D-league, the less interest it will garner. Once TV coverage stops talking about what the players are majoring in, and talks about how much NIL money they are earning, I think the slide will be real. CFB will likely still persist in the SEC where there is less professional competition, but the market will always choose the best professionals to spend their valuable dollars and time on. No one cares about the minor leagues when there is access to the Majors.

Last edited:
Time will tell. I think amateurism has a significant appeal.
I think interest in the Olympics has waned for sports featuring professionals. The '92 Dream Team was a novelty, but since then...No one particularly cares about rooting for a Professional at the Olympics that they just watched at Wimbledon, The Masters, or the NBA playoffs. Once every 4 years, people care about swimming, gymnastics, and 100M dashes. When the olympics is effectively just another World cup, ATP event, or NBA minor league event, it's less appealing.

IMHO, the further CFB strays from amateurism and looks more like an NFL D-league, the less interest it will garner. Once TV coverage stops talking about what the players are majoring in, and talks about how much NIL money they are earning, I think the slide will be real. CFB will likely still persist in the SEC where there is less professional competition, but the market will always choose the best professionals to spend their valuable dollars and time on. No one cares about the minor leagues when there is access to the Majors.
I believe that time will show that your assessments are, in general, correct, but the NIL thing isn’t something that can, or will, be taken away. It’s here to stay.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Years.

I believe that time will show that your assessments are, in general, correct, but the NIL thing isn’t something that can, or will, be taken away. It’s here to stay.

I don't think it will be taken away. I simply think NIL will lessen interest in CFB for the reasons I listed

Reactions: LionJim
Can only hope Clifford is expending as much energy on improving his game as he spends marketing his mediocrity.
Alas, through participation in athletics one can form lasting relationships. acquire friends and mentors for life. On the down side, and thankfully a small percentage of those attracted to sport are among the most vile, sinister and despicable humans you will ever meet.

Guess Cliff hasn’t sold enough “signature” tshirts to buy everyone a burger. He may need to coupon clip and go to the local Burger King for the 2 for $5 deal!
That is the funniest damn thing I have read in a while. Thank you

edit

didn’t Burger King go out of business. Are two for one uni death dogs still around

But maybe it blows up the system. Maybe there is some kind of semi pro or D League and the colleges get back to playing football with student athletes. Maybe it's in a 72,000 seat stadium instead of 106,000...but I for one would be far more likely to watch a 3 star guy playing for a schollie and because he loves his school than a 5 star guy plugging Gatorade.

Reactions: 81b&w
But maybe it blows up the system. Maybe there is some kind of semi pro or D League and the colleges get back to playing football with student athletes. Maybe it's in a 72,000 seat stadium instead of 106,000...but I for one would be far more likely to watch a 3 star guy playing for a schollie and because he loves his school than a 5 star guy plugging Gatorade.
You can't put the milk back in the bottle. First of all, playing for the love of the school?
I never played, nor played with anyone high school or college that played for love of the school. You play because you enjoy the game and after time you bond with your teammates. This happens because you all sweat and bleed for a somewhat common cause. If you are lucky, the players also connect with the coaches. So since you can't say I play for the 48 guys by name.....you say the school name.
Does anyone who plays poorly feel they left their "school" down. No, you are embarrassed for the way you played and you likely feel that you left your teammates and coaches down.
Three stars may eventually have to acknowledge that they can't demand the $$$ that a 4 or 5 star commands....but trust me, they will be looking for a cut of the pie.....even if its a small piece.
I'm old enough to remember the reserve clause in baseball. Baseball isn't the same as it was before Curt Flood. Some can say it isn't. Most don't even remember or weren't born before this so they don't know any different.
NIL will disrupt and change the game we love. It might be the wild west till someone and circumstances see that there needs to be strict rules and regulations.
It will happen. Just not quick enough to prevent some temporary chaos. The NCAA saw this coming and made no effort to get out in front of this. Now, its going to have to run its course.

Last edited:
Brilliantly stated and so true.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT