ADVERTISEMENT

Cleanse...progress report (2/5 update)

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
A few people wanted me to update them on my cleanse. So here goes:

First, I am pretty sceptical but my Brother in Law is in his 8th year of this. He was turned onto it by some NBA players, long since retired. He now has a group of about 20 people that do it yearly. The idea is to "reset" your body every January/February. You lose weight and then break the weight gaining season (winter) in two and after you've gained weight over the holiday season. I was told it shrinks your stomach and makes you more aware of your food intake quality. It also opens up new horizons to foods you normally wouldn't eat (I grew up and love being a basic meat and potatoes eater, nothing fancy). Then you get into spring and summer where you don't normally gain weight. Then you gain in the fall and holidays>back to cleanse in January.

So, beginning my fourth day (starting Monday Monday, 2/1/2021).
  • I've lost 4.2 pounds
  • I went cold turkey but because I don't drink or smoke, it hasn't been bad. I did have a slight headache at the end of day 1/begining of day 2 from caffeine withdrawal.
  • Dinner Sunday through Last night: Garden Ratatouille, Lentille Soup, Quinoa Chilli, and back to another Garden Ratatouille. All have been delicious, especially the Quinoa Chilli
  • I am to eat two "shakes" a day with a protein supplement. So I've been making shakes with Coconut Milk, bananas, strawberries, Oranges and raspberries depending upon how I feel. The idea is to eat twice as many vegetables as fruits but you can eat as much as you want as long as you take the supplements, drink 7 glasses of water and stick to the list of approved vegetables and fruits.
  • All of the fruits and veggies I love so this has not been a problem.
  • So far so good...I am enjoying the food and not feeling hungry at all.
  • I go 7 days on a more strict diet, then I can begin to layer in a little fish or chicken in days 8-21. But they provide suggested recipes like the Quinoa Chilli I mentioned. Another benefit is the 21 day horizon; you can check off the days and focus on the "light at the end of the tunnel".
  • I can already see that I am a bit lighter and it is easier to go up and down the stairs. I have been having to go to the bathroom several times a night but this has been the only real inconvenience so far.
After reading up, I expect to lose between 20 and 25 lbs. I am on target to do so.

2/5/2021 Update
I have lost 5.6 lbs since Tuesday (forgot to weigh myself on Monday so am probably down over 6 lbs in 4.5 days)

So far so good. Here is the product I am using:

Last edited:
To each their own. But the claims made about stomach shrinking and becoming more aware of food intake is pure bullshit. The only thing these cleanses clean are wallets. There are no reputable scientific sources supporting use.
ok...well, I discovered two foods that I normally wouldn't eat: homemade Lentil soup and Quinoa Chilli. If I lose 20+ lbs the money is lint next to my pocket change.

ok...well, I discovered two foods that I normally wouldn't eat: homemade Lentil soup and Quinoa Chilli. If I lose 20+ lbs the money is lint next to my pocket change.
That's great news. But a recipe book and some Google searching could've got you the same thing without buying a cleanse that puts God knows what into your body. Just be aware that the claims made about the benefits of cleansing are bullshit.

That's great news. But a recipe book and some Google searching could've got you the same thing without buying a cleanse that puts God knows what into your body. Just be aware that the claims made about the benefits of cleansing are bullshit.
Agreed...but it comes from some friends that have been doing it for years and is often prescribed by doctors.

Here is a good recipe for weight loss that is not so hard. Manage but do not eliminate your carbs...

Target 60g per meal (3 x60) and 15g per snack (3x15) for a daily intake of 225g/day.
Bone up on what foods contribute high carbs - some will surprise you - and limit them during this period. Beers are about 12g a piece and hard liquor much less.

You can find charts and list on the web; also use measuring cups at first to get a sense for what a serving or a quarter cup looks like. If you must take one day a week and splurge, but don't go carb crazy.

Eat as much low carb stuff as you like and lots of protein. Exercise and be active to burn the calories and don't be a couch potato, but even here you don't need to go gym rat crazy - just do something active every day. It will suck the first week or so but you acclimate and the weight and your blood sugar will drop.

I'm over a half century old and my target weight loss target was 10%. I lost 20+ lbs in about 5-6 weeks. Once you hit your weight loss target you can increase your carb intake to 300g or so a day - or whatever amount allows you to maintain the weight.

To keep your new weight requires the discipline you practiced during the weight loss period. In some ways it is a lifestyle change or at least an eating style change. I lost my weight in the fall and have kept it off over the holidays where I indulged quite a bit, but kept perspective too.

Good luck.

Sometimes dropping the money on this stuff is enough to give you initiative to make changes you otherwise would't have. I tend to find most cleanses bullshit, but this seems like a better one than say, lemon juice and cayenne for a week. Which is insane.

Reactions: LionJim
To each their own. But the claims made about stomach shrinking and becoming more aware of food intake is pure bullshit. The only thing these cleanses clean are wallets. There are no reputable scientific sources supporting use.
It certain would make one more aware of their food intake and it’s impact. Get off the high carb addiction and feel better would incentivize one to continue to eat better.

Shrinking the stomach is a myth as it is very flexible and would expand to any intake volume. Two more likely affects are eating better foods quell your appetite so you eat less. And lots of fruit and veggies stimulate a healthier biome.....the bacteria in your gut.....which has powerful hunger feedback controls. ‘Shrinking your stomach’ is a simpler way of understanding this.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthShoreLion
Here is a good recipe for weight loss that is not so hard. Manage but do not eliminate your carbs...

Target 60g per meal (3 x60) and 15g per snack (3x15) for a daily intake of 225g/day.
Bone up on what foods contribute high carbs - some will surprise you - and limit them during this period. Beers are about 12g a piece and hard liquor much less.

You can find charts and list on the web; also use measuring cups at first to get a sense for what a serving or a quarter cup looks like. If you must take one day a week and splurge, but don't go carb crazy.

Eat as much low carb stuff as you like and lots of protein. Exercise and be active to burn the calories and don't be a couch potato, but even here you don't need to go gym rat crazy - just do something active every day. It will suck the first week or so but you acclimate and the weight and your blood sugar will drop.

I'm over a half century old and my target weight loss target was 10%. I lost 20+ lbs in about 5-6 weeks. Once you hit your weight loss target you can increase your carb intake to 300g or so a day - or whatever amount allows you to maintain the weight.

To keep your new weight requires the discipline you practiced during the weight loss period. In some ways it is a lifestyle change or at least an eating style change. I lost my weight in the fall and have kept it off over the holidays where I indulged quite a bit, but kept perspective too.

Good luck.
I guess buying the supplement kit gives you a mental goal to continue, but I agree with your assessment.

I've been a workout rat for decades (I'm 57 now). Swimming, biking, or running every day. But I never really looked at my food intake. Until May of last year, I broke my tibia and fibula in a bike accident (while out on a daily 25 mile ride). I was 215 lbs (6 feet tall) and had 15% body fat at the time. I was hugely worried that I'd be gaining weight, because I wouldn't be able to work out for 6-8 weeks after surgery on my leg (10 screws). Only arm weights and situps. That is when I read that weight loss is 75% food intake and 25% exercise. I immediately cut out all Sugar, Bread, Alcohol, and Caffeine. I did take a bone growth supplement shake once a day as well. After 4 weeks, I dropped 25 lbs with really minimal exercise. At that point I got on my stationary bike and soft pedaled with the cast on for an hour at a time, just to get the heart rate up. After 8 weeks, I was down to 180 lbs (35 lb drop) with 9% body fat, and my blood results were amazing. Off my BP medicine and my Cholesterol medicine. At that point, I got the cast off and started hard core riding and running again. My knees and ankles feel so much better not lugging that extra 35 lbs around. With the extra exercise, I did add back sugars, bread, alcohol and caffeine and maintained between 178-184.

Over the holidays, I did balloon back up to 190 lbs, but in the last 2 weeks, I cut out breads and halved my sugar (still have a cup of coffee in the morning, and a beer or tequila/whiskey to end the day), and was back at 184 today. Going to push through to try and hit 174 now in the next few weeks. Still eating nice sized dinners of roasted veggie, lean proteins, and a huge salad. Lunch is a huge salad (I hydroponically grow all my own lettuce/chard/spinach).

But, the biggest thing was discovering that weight loss can't be achieved solely in the gym. Eating habits are the biggest part of it, and processed sugars seem to be the root of it.

Good luck to your weight loss. Breaking my foot was the best thing that happened to me health wise. It really led me to the new life. That said, we were a fat country prior to the covid shutdown, and my family doc said that she has seen over 60% of her patients get heavier by 10+ lbs since then. Yikes!

Obli: Only 4.2 pounds lost thus far? You've gotta ramp things up, dude. I have a recommendation:

Reactions: Obliviax

First, I am pretty sceptical but my Brother in Law is in his 8th year of this. He was turned onto it by some NBA players, long since retired. He now has a group of about 20 people that do it yearly. The idea is to "reset" your body every January/February. You lose weight and then break the weight gaining season (winter) in two and after you've gained weight over the holiday season. I was told it shrinks your stomach and makes you more aware of your food intake quality. It also opens up new horizons to foods you normally wouldn't eat (I grew up and love being a basic meat and potatoes eater, nothing fancy). Then you get into spring and summer where you don't normally gain weight. Then you gain in the fall and holidays>back to cleanse in January.

• I've lost 4.2 pounds
  • I went cold turkey but because I don't drink or smoke, it hasn't been bad. I did have a slight headache at the end of day 1/begining of day 2 from caffeine withdrawal.
  • Dinner Sunday through Last night: Garden Ratatouille, Lentille Soup, Quinoa Chilli, and back to another Garden Ratatouille. All have been delicious, especially the Quinoa Chilli
  • I am to eat two "shakes" a day with a protein supplement. So I've been making shakes with Coconut Milk, bananas, strawberries, Oranges and raspberries depending upon how I feel. The idea is to eat twice as many vegetables as fruits but you can eat as much as you want as long as you take the supplements, drink 7 glasses of water and stick to the list of approved vegetables and fruits.
  • I go 7 days on a more strict diet, then I can begin to layer in a little fish or chicken in days 8-21. But they provide suggested recipes like the Quinoa Chilli I mentioned. Another benefit is the 21 day horizon; you can check off the days and focus on the "light at the end of the tunnel".
  • I can already see that I am a bit lighter and it is easier to go up and down the stairs. I have been having to go to the bathroom several times a night but this has been the only real inconvenience so far.
After reading up, I expect to lose between 20 and 25 lbs. I am on target to do so.

Standard Process products are EXCELLENT. This cleanse works...

you are an idiot

I guess buying the supplement kit gives you a mental goal to continue, but I agree with your assessment.

I've been a workout rat for decades (I'm 57 now). Swimming, biking, or running every day. But I never really looked at my food intake. Until May of last year, I broke my tibia and fibula in a bike accident (while out on a daily 25 mile ride). I was 215 lbs (6 feet tall) and had 15% body fat at the time. I was hugely worried that I'd be gaining weight, because I wouldn't be able to work out for 6-8 weeks after surgery on my leg (10 screws). Only arm weights and situps. That is when I read that weight loss is 75% food intake and 25% exercise. I immediately cut out all Sugar, Bread, Alcohol, and Caffeine. I did take a bone growth supplement shake once a day as well. After 4 weeks, I dropped 25 lbs with really minimal exercise. At that point I got on my stationary bike and soft pedaled with the cast on for an hour at a time, just to get the heart rate up. After 8 weeks, I was down to 180 lbs (35 lb drop) with 9% body fat, and my blood results were amazing. Off my BP medicine and my Cholesterol medicine. At that point, I got the cast off and started hard core riding and running again. My knees and ankles feel so much better not lugging that extra 35 lbs around. With the extra exercise, I did add back sugars, bread, alcohol and caffeine and maintained between 178-184.

Over the holidays, I did balloon back up to 190 lbs, but in the last 2 weeks, I cut out breads and halved my sugar (still have a cup of coffee in the morning, and a beer or tequila/whiskey to end the day), and was back at 184 today. Going to push through to try and hit 174 now in the next few weeks. Still eating nice sized dinners of roasted veggie, lean proteins, and a huge salad. Lunch is a huge salad (I hydroponically grow all my own lettuce/chard/spinach).

But, the biggest thing was discovering that weight loss can't be achieved solely in the gym. Eating habits are the biggest part of it, and processed sugars seem to be the root of it.

Good luck to your weight loss. Breaking my foot was the best thing that happened to me health wise. It really led me to the new life. That said, we were a fat country prior to the covid shutdown, and my family doc said that she has seen over 60% of her patients get heavier by 10+ lbs since then. Yikes!
Fortunately I did not have the injury you did - yikes! Glad to hear you found your silver lining and it worked out for you. Our recipes are very similar including our before and after weights.

I do however pretty much eat what I want - including some junk food, but I am very cognizant now of how much of it I eat. The biggest change for me is more protein - eggs and cheeses. I do load up on some of the better for you carb rich foods such as grapes, bananas, and apples. If you get your muscles toned they burn the calories and you are good to go so exercise and add in some resistance to help it all along.

More of a DIY appproach....no supplements, surgeries, or gym membership required

Reactions: CentexLion

"A cleanse that puts God knows what into your body..."

perhaps what you should do before opening your mouth on a subject you know nothing about...you could research Standard Process products. Once you do you'll see there is ABSOLUTELY NO vitamin supplements that are better for your body than standard process.

How much weight have you successfully lost?

I lost 25 lbs 7 years ago doing this exact cleanse...it works...and it is using superior products that are natural/organic/and good for you.

I've also lost 19 lbs doing keto two years ago for one month...

Next question nostradamus?

I lost 25 lbs 7 years ago doing this exact cleanse...it works...and it is using superior products that are natural/organic/and good for you.

I've also lost 19 lbs doing keto two years ago for one month...

Next question nostradamus?

I'm glad you answered the question. So before you claim I don't know what I'm talking about, let me clue you in on a fact about me.

I lost over 200 pounds without surgery, a supplement, a cleanse, or "product" of any type. I did it through consulting with my medical doctor, limiting processed foods, and exercise.

The notion that any cleanse "shrinks your stomach" or "clears your body of toxins" is complete and utter bullshit, not backed by any reputable medical science.

Everyone needs "something" that works for them, as Obli intimated earlier. But recognize bullshit for what it is.

I'm glad you answered the question. So before you claim I don't know what I'm talking about, let me clue you in on a fact about me.

I lost over 200 pounds without surgery, a supplement, a cleanse, or "product" of any type. I did it through consulting with my medical doctor, limiting processed foods, and exercise.

The notion that any cleanse "shrinks your stomach" or "clears your body of toxins" is complete and utter bullshit, not backed by any reputable medical science.

Everyone needs "something" that works for them, as Obli intimated earlier. But recognize bullshit for what it is.

Again...your claim that THIS PARTICULAR CLEANSE "shrinks your stomach" or whatever other garbage you are spewing proves that you've not even looked at what this product and process helps you to do.

I've got a recommendation...go back to your doctor and ask if there are any "scientifically proven" methods to reverse your "assholeitis"...

Reactions: Ski
Again...your claim that THIS PARTICULAR CLEANSE "shrinks your stomach" or whatever other garbage you are spewing proves that you've not even looked at what this product and process helps you to do.

I've got a recommendation...go back to your doctor and ask if there are any "scientifically proven" methods to reverse your "assholeitis"...

Thank you for indulging me on this lovely afternoon. Don't let facts get in the way of your love for your "products" or other "fine supplements."

Thanks for the post. And congrats on the hard work. What you find, as you get older, is that the physical exertion yields less benefit over time. If you get cut, it takes you longer to heal. The same is true with your body responding to physical exertion. In addition, your body breaks down for many cardio activities. I used to play a lot of basketball. In one game, three of my friends when down who were of similar age (two dislocated ankles and a dislocated shoulder).

with my lower level of workouts and my horrible eating habits, I've let things get out of control. I am only three days in but this plan is yielding results, so far. I know, the rest is up to me in terms of willpower. I mean, heck, if you just quit eating you'll lose weight. Everything else, Atkins/caveman/south beach/Dash/Weight Watchers, are all just gimmicks to get you there.

Yep, stuff less calories in the pie hole and you suddenly lose weight, who would have guessed.

Obli: Only 4.2 pounds lost thus far? You've gotta ramp things up, dude. I have a recommendation:

Where is Lionlover and his coffee enema when you need him???

Meanwhile... while I could absolutely benefit from something like this, I’m looking forward to the reservation at Fogo de Chao on February 13th.
ha...at least for me, that's the point. I need to get back to a manageable weight and then use what I am learning to regulate. That includes nights at Fogo and (more) nights when I eat a spinach salad with strawberries, sunflower seeds and a sweet vinegarette dressing.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

• I've lost 4.2 pounds

Can you do me a favor and keep track of your weight loss in one week increments starting from Feb 1st. I'm curious to see how your weight loss in future weeks compares with what you'll lose during Week #1.

I've posted a lot in the diet thread, but I'll ask it here. I've been reading that protein helps a lot with weight loss. I have a problem with not getting enough protein daily, at least according to Myfitnesspal. I typically eat 2 eggs and sausage, scrapple, or a half avacado for breakfast. A salad for lunch with vinegar/oil dressing. I'll add chicken or steak if I got any around or a half avacado. And a lean protein with veggies for something similar for dinner. Tonight I had fish tacos.

I keep my total calorie intake around 1300-1600 a day with no issues at being hungry. Today, I have 76 out of a recommended 248 grams.

Any suggestions to boost protein and keep calories down and not hurt my other nutritional values?

I've posted a lot in the diet thread, but I'll ask it here. I've been reading that protein helps a lot with weight loss. I have a problem with not getting enough protein daily, at least according to Myfitnesspal. I typically eat 2 eggs and sausage, scrapple, or a half avacado for breakfast. A salad for lunch with vinegar/oil dressing. I'll add chicken or steak if I got any around or a half avacado. And a lean protein with veggies for something similar for dinner. Tonight I had fish tacos.

I keep my total calorie intake around 1300-1600 a day with no issues at being hungry. Today, I have 76 out of a recommended 248 grams.

Any suggestions to boost protein and keep calories down and not hurt my other nutritional values?
Seafood, lean beef. Certain beans are high in protein but I don’t know which.

Last edited:

I have a couple of thoughts, but first, 1300 calories is extremely low especially if you have any physical activities in your day.

Anyway, I got most of my protein from Fage greek yogurt and boneless skinless chicken breast cooked/smoked a variety of ways. I also ate the occasional Quest bar, various nuts/beans, and used Ezekiel for bread.

My usual breakfast, for example, was two eggs, 6-7 ounces of Fage 2%, and 2 servings of Wegmans Fiber Essentials cereal. I’d add in a slice of Ezekiel if I felt like it too.

Reactions: PAgeologist
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT