ADVERTISEMENT

Ciarrocca

ButlerEagle

Jun 2, 2020
Does anyone else see what I see so far? This guy is unlike any other coach I have seen in the Franklin era, including Moorhead. He is an elite coach who is about more than just a system. I really am looking forward to seeing how this unit evolves under him, and for some reason I feel like something special is going to happen.

Does anyone else see what I see so far? This guy is unlike any other coach I have seen in the Franklin era, including Moorhead. He is an elite coach who is about more than just a system. I really am looking forward to seeing how this unit evolves under him, and for some reason I feel like something special is going to happen.
3 games max till someone wants him fired .......

I like your enthusiasm, but how do you see what you say you see?

I don't know much about him. Do you think he might make a good successor to Franklin?

I'm personally intrigued by Trautwein.....I think he's going to be a "difference maker" position coach.

I don't know much about him. Do you think he might make a good successor to Franklin?

I'm personally intrigued by Trautwein.....I think he's going to be a "difference maker" position coach.
To your second point, I’ve been trying to understand why people think this way.

So Franklin is going to usc again?

His entire OL made all-ACC teams. He comes here to PSU where there is a veteran OL. The expectation is for a dominant line and lots of all-B1G picks. The real proof on Trautwein will be in 2021 when we replace almost everyone.

To your second point, I’ve been trying to understand why people think this way.
I've explained that second point before. Coach Traut's line at BC comprised of players significantly lower rated as recruits than our OL room delivered the #3 rusher in the nation last year, a top 15 sack allowed rate (against PSU's #108 I think), and all 5 OL starters earned All-ACC honors as 1st team through honorable mention. There is a legitimate reason to believe that our OL will improve significantly.

Reactions: 81b&w
I've explained that second point before. Coach Traut's line at BC comprised of players significantly lower rated as recruits than our OL room delivered the #3 rusher in the nation last year, a top 15 sack allowed rate (against PSU's #108 I think), and all 5 OL starters earned All-ACC honors as 1st team through honorable mention. There is a legitimate reason to believe that our OL will improve significantly.
journey brown was #15 in yds per carry. AJ Dillion of BC was 87th. His total yds while impressive, was basically the same as a senior as it was as a freshmen when Trautwein wasn’t his coach. PSU was #15 ?in total offense while BC was 66? Something (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2019-rushing.html)
Do you know how the ACC picks their all star teams, especially after first team selections

I hope your right but until we see the product on the field I’ll reserve judgment. The Beav is a long way from Richardson stadium.

Last edited:
I like what I see so far, but I'm not getting too excited yet. Minnesota made us look silly last year, but they got handled by Iowa and spanked by Wisconsin to end the year with a chance to go to the Big Ten title game on the line. That's the place where you'd expect an elite coach to make a difference.. I didn't watch the game, but it looks like other than a quick early TD the offense was controlled by Wisconsin. Don't want to make too much of that as I think we have a lot more weapons on offense than Minnesota did. We might get an idea pretty early if he's an improvement or not with Ohio State in game 2. Or maybe not. If Trautwein is the OL wizard he's portrayed as and we have a competent pass-blocking OL then Clifford hopefully won't be getting killed on every pass play against tOSU which will go a long way to making the offense look better.

Last edited:
He is a mature coach with convictions about his system and his leadership capability. The last time we had a leader like that was joemo. Franklin is wonderful as the figurehead, but he needs mature coaches around him with detailed plans and clock management, play management. Rahne was not that. Plus in game calls often resulted in delays and timeouts in big spots. Franklin grew tired of that. I cant promise this guys offense will produce more, but it will be managed and run appropriately with a plan and identity outside of qb draws and deep bombs to our 1 fast reciever.

Hope you're right but he only lasted a couple of years at Rutgers before he was fired. I like your enthusiasm but lets see what happens before we anoint him the greatest thing since slice bread.

Very excited about what he can do for our offense but I'm trying to keep my early season expectations in check. I remember reading the Minnesota boards early last year and their fans were complaining in the first few games about a stubborn commitment to simple runs, which Ciarrocca apparently kept calling to master through repetition. They complained that he ran the ball too much. "Run, run, pass." In retrospect, he was instilling a run-first identity in the offense which eventually allowed Tanner Morgan to flourish as one of the nation's most prolific passers. They had 3 productive RBs, so I can't wait to see what he can do with Journey Brown, Noah Cain and Devyn Ford behind Trautwein's veteran line. Also intrigued by their WR coach, Matt Simon.

I like your enthusiasm, but how do you see what you say you see?
Nothing rivals the popularity of a "coach" who hasn't coached a game at PSU....yet! Unless it is a 5 star recruit that goes elsewhere.

I like Ciarrocca but I think you are putting him up on too high of a pedestal, at least this year given everything that is going on. The principles his offense is based on are very different than what Joe Moorhead's are. The early schedule is unforgiving and not friendly to making adjustments on the fly if something he installed isn't working. At the end of the day, I think he plays it safe and doesn't over-commit to changing the offense and it looks a lot like last year.

Personally, I doubt he has a better football mind than Moorhead. His impact on the game has been pretty big. He doesn't have a specific scheme but rather a foundation of principles that are mixed and matched to fit the talent on hand. Look what Moorhead disciple Joe Brady did at LSU which was install the offense Moorhead wanted to run in 2016 with Christian Hackenberg. Hack left early, he adjusted. It took five games for JoeMo to figure out what he could and couldn't do and we were off.

Wow. Offer praise to a coach and get ransacked. No wonder Bob makes jokes all the time and Barry has been kicked out 5 times.

People being critical is par for the course. Most people do agree with the OP and are optimistic about this team, about the Offense, and about the OL. But unfortunately, it's the "critic" who feels the urge to post (he who screams the loudest).

Reactions: ChandlerPearce
journey brown was #15 in yds per carry. AJ Dillion of BC was 87th. His total yds while impressive, was basically the same as a senior as it was as a freshmen when Trautwein wasn’t his coach. PSU was #15 ?in total offense while BC was 66? Something (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2019-rushing.html)
Do you know how the ACC picks their all star teams, especially after first team selections

I hope your right but until we see the product on the field I’ll reserve judgment. The Beav is a long way from Richardson stadium.
Valid on point on yds/carry. BC must have been more of a run heavy, run to set up the pass offense and that does produce both the numbers that you bring up and those I did. Appreciate this additional perspective. I am still bullish on Coach Traut and the players are raving about what he is teaching them. Also of note, I read this morning that Fries is taking reps at guard now as well and it appears to be at least in part due to Wallace being too good not to see the field at tackle.

RE: Ciarrocca vs. PSU D last year, I am still torn on that, because our pass D looked foolish on a number of occasions, not just last year, but back through at least 2016. Just off the top of my head - OSU multiple times, Mich last year, NE the last game a couple years ago when they were abysmal (we won but they made it close at the end),Iowa at the Beav two years ago, Minny last year, maybe even App State a couple years ago. USC, Memphis last year in bowls. Those games were all either lost or closer than they should have been wins due to poor pass D. I don't think anybody has ever answered if those performances were due to lack of pressure on the QB, poor DB play, poor scheme or all of the above. IMO, Ciarrocca did what every other OC did against us.

RE: Ciarrocca vs. PSU D last year, I am still torn on that, because our pass D looked foolish on a number of occasions, not just last year, but back through at least 2016. Just off the top of my head - OSU multiple times, Mich last year, NE the last game a couple years ago when they were abysmal (we won but they made it close at the end),Iowa at the Beav two years ago, Minny last year, maybe even App State a couple years ago. USC, Memphis last year in bowls. Those games were all either lost or closer than they should have been wins due to poor pass D. I don't think anybody has ever answered if those performances were due to lack of pressure on the QB, poor DB play, poor scheme or all of the above. IMO, Ciarrocca did what every other OC did against us.
I wouldn't say every other OC did what Ciarrocca did to us, although several did. Perhaps coach's contribution is just as valuable in advising our defensive staff how he took advantage of them better than 90%+ of our competition?

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
We just love new coaches and can't wait to fire the existing ones. I suppose there is a chance that someday we'll get a coach (new) that actually meets our approval......for more than a quarter or two. I don't want to be overly optimistic.

Lets face facts: outside of KJ, we've had a ton of highly recruited WRs come in and simply not play to expectations. When that happens directionally, you've got to start wondering what is wrong with their development and coaching.

With less quality athletes, Minny put together a great passing attack last year. Against us, they ran a really great situational passing attack where they ran to the spot when we blitzed. They also ran slants in front of our S. And when our S moved up to cut off the slant, they ran a slant/out behind the CB to expose our pass D. These routs were situational depending upon the PSU D (based on LB and S coverage). Whatever we did, they reacted and were successful.

In the OP, it is stated that the WR are being DRILLED to run precise routes. You run three steps and cut; not two and not four...three. Why is this important? The QB has to know what the WR is going to do so he can release the ball while the WR cuts so that ball arrives in a place the WR will be in the second. If this hasn't be being done in the recent past, no wonder our highly recruited WR's haven't panned out. This is passing game fundamentals.

Reactions: ralphster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT