ADVERTISEMENT

Ciarrocca new OC at PSU

I agree & dis-agree.

Yes... it can NOT be the sole reason to hire a guy. And it can NOT be the sole reason to think a guy will be a good hire. So on that I do agree.

BUT .... I do dis-agree that -- (if all things are equal) -- it does help having a guy who is passionate about his home. There are plenty of examples of coaches excelling because they are passionate about their home State. They are believing in what they are selling. IMO, the best example of that in today's college football is Kirby Smart at UGA. Kirby is a Georgia guy, he was born bred & raised in Georgia and he bleeds the State Flag... This comes across in Kirby Smart's passion in recruiting and since he arrived in Athens, Georgia has a top 2-3 recruiting class in the country. Take Kirby Smart and have him coach Penn State or South Carolina or USC.... and chances are his passion would not be as strong and his recruiting would not be as successful.
Ridiculous

Go away. 80% of your posts are attacking the opinions of other posters. Must be miserable waiting around all day to rush to disagree with what strangers post on the internet.

And Yes, Rahne was not performing up to par. When you make 700k per year you have high expectations. Franklin wishes to be “elite”. Rahne was not making Franklin elite. He either makes a move or lowers his expectations. Once again I think you are advocating for lowered expectations.
This hire will make more $ than Rahne......how long till he's reminded of the $high expectations$?

Appears to be an experienced external hire without overpaying for someone unproven. That said, it will be interesting if Kirk is smart and confident enough to ignore Franklin’s offensive input and just call his own game. Rahne’s downfall was listening to Franklin and his preoccupation with “impact plays”.
How do you know this?

Correct, they also come here to view our sage recruiting expertise and to learn what they should have done different during games.
Our coaches still don't know what Minny did to beat us....what a bunch of inept, overpaid clowns.

I've seen several comments on Minnesota boards that he didn't utilize the tight ends enough.

We have great talent at TE. It would be a shame to waste that TE talent. It would be Narduzzi-esque.

Don’r confuse the haters with facts. According to the “logic” of the poster, Wisky’s OC made Ciarrocca look like a fool in Minny’s season finale. He also is making a lateral move whereas Rahne got a head coaching gig.
Rahne's new gig isn't much of a step up, if at all, to put it nicely. New salary is 750k for five years at Old Dominion, a job he "relentlessly pursued" and which probably only involves a very slight pay raise. His predecessor's next job was for 2.75, then extended to 3.2 million at an SEC school. This is the career progression for highly successful blue blood coordinators. They only go down in class to prove that they belong back up.

Ciarocca, a semifinalist for the Broyles award for top assistant coach in the country this year (Brady won), also a top candidate for the OC position at Texas, turned down overtures from West Virginia last year, and was set to make about 1 million in 2020. Almost assuredly, he will make that or more at PSU.

Rahne did pretty well to parlay what I think was going to be a scenario in which he wasn't going to be retained into an opportunity to go prove himself as a head coach elsewhere. By all accounts, he's good people and I hope he does well, but this is clearly an attempt to upgrade. Why so many people have dug in their heels on this subject is baffling to me.

I've seen several comments on Minnesota boards that he didn't utilize the tight ends enough.

We have great talent at TE. It would be a shame to waste that TE talent. It would be Narduzzi-esque.
Damn, and those fans should know.....our's do!

Passion for what you represent. Watch LSU this year and Ed Orgeron is a total fit at LSU and his love & passion for Louisiana comes thru which is a huge selling point for inspiration for his team. Kirby Smart is the same way at Georgia. His passion and love for Georgia sweats out of his pores and bleeds from his veins and comes across to recruits which is a big reason under Smart, Georgia has always had a top 2-3 recruiting class. ..... NO... being from PA does not make him a "smarter" OC. But if he has a true passion for PA, and he is passionate about the Penn State product, then this will come across as "true" during recruiting.
I think it runs both ways, but the argument is better if you win - regardless. Heard interviews this past week from college football insiders in the south and west coast about Ed Orgeron. The folks in the south were expressing their huge mea culpas about how wrong they were in having him on their hot seat list for 2019. That if he did not have a season better than 2018 he was gone. The folks from the west coast were saying how heart broken he was to have to leave USC, how much he was loved by his players, and how much he loved it there. They also related how it was Pat Haden and the USC administration and cultural police who said he wasn't a good fit for their values i.e. not polished enough. Don't know if any of it's true but that's what I heard and read. Sometimes you can go home again, and if that desire brings passion, peace, and strength, then PSU is a big winner with the new OC being a Pennsylvania guy.

Rahne's new gig isn't much of a step up, if at all, to put it nicely. New salary is 750k for five years at Old Dominion, a job he "relentlessly pursued" and which probably only involves a very slight pay raise. His predecessor's next job was for 2.75, then extended to 3.2 million at an SEC school. This is the career progression for highly successful blue blood coordinators. They only go down in class to prove that they belong back up.

Ciarocca, a semifinalist for the Broyles award for top assistant coach in the country this year (Brady won), also a top candidate for the OC position at Texas, turned down overtures from West Virginia last year, and was set to make about 1 million in 2020. Almost assuredly, he will make that or more at PSU.

Rahne did pretty well to parlay what I think was going to be a scenario in which he wasn't going to be retained into an opportunity to go prove himself as a head coach elsewhere. By all accounts, he's good people and I hope he does well, but this is clearly an attempt to upgrade. Why so many people have dug in their heels on this subject is baffling to me.
Isn't every hire an attempt to upgrade?
It really isn't about Rahne. Its about the fact that all someone needs to do is coach here until the weeping and finger pointing starts. I'm confident that it won't take more than 2 or 3 games to see our new OC savaged.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I think its an excellent hire. Can't profess that I had a #1 or a list.

I think he is in the top three of the OC's who are "on the market or approachable". Brady, Yurcich, and Ciarrocca would be my top three choices and to land one of these three is a home run.

It goes to show that JF and PSU can attract the best coaching and players out there. I'm sure Ciarrocca will be in contact with Caleb Williams, Braden Davis, and several of the PA kids as soon as he is allowed.

I was thinking at the time how nice it would be to have a tactical advantage with the Xs and Os, and -- welp -- here we are!
So you are saying that we’ll have a schematic advantage? Does that mean that former Patriots OC and ND head coach will be an advisor?

Reactions: marshall23
I agree & dis-agree.

Yes... it can NOT be the sole reason to hire a guy. And it can NOT be the sole reason to think a guy will be a good hire. So on that I do agree.

BUT .... I do dis-agree that -- (if all things are equal) -- it does help having a guy who is passionate about his home. There are plenty of examples of coaches excelling because they are passionate about their home State. They are believing in what they are selling. IMO, the best example of that in today's college football is Kirby Smart at UGA. Kirby is a Georgia guy, he was born bred & raised in Georgia and he bleeds the State Flag... This comes across in Kirby Smart's passion in recruiting and since he arrived in Athens, Georgia has a top 2-3 recruiting class in the country. Take Kirby Smart and have him coach Penn State or South Carolina or USC.... and chances are his passion would not be as strong and his recruiting would not be as successful.
Good read....

Link: https://distinctathlete.com/2019/12/26/offensive-coordinator-kirk-ciarrocca-leaving-for-penn-state/

"He was due for a raise after head coach P.J. Fleck’s contract extension made available $1.05 million to boost the salaries of his assistant coaches in 2020. Presumably the offer from Penn State upped his salary even further, but I suspect family was also a factor in his decision. Ciarrocca is originally from Pennsylvania and his family still lives in the area."

"Penn State has found its new offensive coordinator and the hire comes from within in the Big Ten.

As first reported by the Pioneer Press and later confirmed by Penn State, Minnesota offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca is leaving the Gophers to be the next offensive coordinator at Penn State.

Ciarrocca, a Lewisberry, Pennsylvania, native joined the Minnesota staff in 2017 after serving as the offensive coordinator at Western Michigan for five years.

Minnesota’s offense averaged 34.3 points per game in 2019 which was 22nd in the nation.

Ciarrocca has also been rumored to be a leading candidate for the Texas offensive coordinator position. According to the Pioneer Press, Ciarrocca has been targeted by Auburn and West Virginia in past seasons for his services."

Last edited:
Seems like a great fit for the players we will have next season. Better runners than receivers and a solid run blocking OL. Ciarrocca may be just the guy we need to take us to the next level in 2020.

I think he is in the top three of the OC's who are "on the market or approachable". Brady, Yurcich, and Ciarrocca would be my top three choices and to land one of these three is a home run.

It goes to show that JF and PSU can attract the best coaching and players out there. I'm sure Ciarrocca will be in contact with Caleb Williams, Braden Davis, and several of the PA kids as soon as he is allowed.
I think he's a much better choice than Brady. Brady is a fanboys superhero. The reality is that he hasn't been without training wheels. The only way I could see Brady as a top hire would be if he could bring Burrow and Co. with him.

Good read....

Link: https://distinctathlete.com/2019/12/26/offensive-coordinator-kirk-ciarrocca-leaving-for-penn-state/

"He was due for a raise after head coach P.J. Fleck’s contract extension made available $1.05 million to boost the salaries of his assistant coaches in 2020. Presumably the offer from Penn State upped his salary even further, but I suspect family was also a factor in his decision. Ciarrocca is originally from Pennsylvania and his family still lives in the area."
This is a solid hire.

The most important job of the OC is what happens on non-game days -- it's preparing the offensive skill players to execute with confidence. I think Rahne understood Xs and Os, had good schemes, but I don't think Rahne passed the test in terms of player development.

You look at how the skill players blossomed at Minnesota -- not just Morgan but their receivers and backs. They played with a lot of confidence -- it reminded me of how McSorley and receivers blossomed under Joe Moorhead.

If you can combine that kind of preparation with the kind of talent PSU recruits at the offensive skill positions -- it should be a very potent thing.

I really like the hire because the ceiling is very high and the floor is high. I don't see much if any downside risk. This guy should be able to step right in and produce at PSU in his first season -- though we should keep in mind that the best seasons will be seasons 2 and 3.

This guy made Rahne look like a fool head to head. The system he ran at Minnesota seems a bit rigid, but those guys are clearly very well coached. Major upgrade over Rahne.

It really isn't about Rahne. Its about the fact that all someone needs to do is coach here until the weeping and finger pointing starts. I'm confident that it won't take more than 2 or 3 games to see our new OC savaged.
Savaging will begin at half time of the Blue White game.

Reactions: paws1957
From what I have read so far looks like he is gone to PSU and Fleck will be calling the plays ...
thanks BWI........Love that he is diving right in. Big advantage to get to know the players watching practice and game. I imagine from this quote, "his willingness to make this an easy transition for our players" means PSU terminology will remain the same and KC will tweak and add where/what he wants. This is not a complete overhaul like when Moorehead came in, which, at the time the total overhaul was very much needed. Makes spring ball much easier rather than a transitional period for the players which is very important. The foundation remains constant with KC adding his touch.

So you are saying that we’ll have a schematic advantage? Does that mean that former Patriots OC and ND head coach will be an advisor?
Bill O'Brien rubbed against Tom Brady for a few seasons. Who gained the most? Brady won super bowls before BOB and after BOB.....but never with BOB. BOB is 1-3 in the playoffs and has yet to develop a QB of his own. Charlie Weis became a multi millionaire because folks were convinced "his" schemes won Super Bowls. LOL
x and o are important.......but its still Jimmy and Joe.

Reactions: Kiber
Those Minnesota wideouts played like Godwin and Blacknall and Hammy played in 2016 for Joe Moorhead. It's coaching. What PSU was missing the last two years is coaching.

PSU is always going to have plenty of talent at wideout (not that they can't use more). There is plenty of talent already on the roster for PSU to have a really potent passing game again next year.

This is super exciting news for Clifford and George and Dotson -- they're going to have a lot more fun next year.

Can he bring those Wideouts with him? Hope he has a lot of contacts with NJ school coaches as well- PSU need to get back in to NJ, start grabbing those big time recruits.

I noticed this too. But the counter to this take is that has Ciarrocca ever had a TE with the talent of Pat F/Gesicki? Their fans also note that he wasn't a fan of throwing to RBs out of the backfield during his time in Minny. More than likely it was a "talent" thing rather than "scheme" when it came to Minny's roster. Hopefully Seider/Bowen can collaborate to continue to make the TE/RB positions a strength in the passing game.

A couple of really positive things being discussed by their fans were the development of the WR and QB positions, something PSU has lacked over the past two years.

I think he's a much better choice than Brady. Brady is a fanboys superhero. The reality is that he hasn't been without training wheels. The only way I could see Brady as a top hire would be if he could bring Burrow and Co. with him.
Lets think for a minute how Brady would have fit in at PSU. One year he is a low level coach/analyst, a couple years later he is now the boss of the offense? Might be tough on the guys that have been around since he was an analyst. Though there was some turnover, still ML and TB were there.

I noticed this too. But the counter to this take is that has Ciarrocca ever had a TE with the talent of Pat F/Gesicki? Their fans also note that he wasn't a fan of throwing to RBs out of the backfield during his time in Minny. More than likely it was a "talent" thing rather than "scheme" when it came to Minny's roster. Hopefully Seider/Bowen can collaborate to continue to make the TE/RB positions a strength in the passing game.

A couple of really positive things being discussed by their fans were the development of the WR and QB positions, something PSU has lacked over the past two years.
Did he overlap with Maxx Williams or was Williams gone when Ciarrocca arrived?

That's where we disagree. What you are looking at is not just a hiring, it's a termination for poor performance relative to expectations. This followed by a 25-30% greater allocation of resources in an attempt to improve what they appear to view, like a lot of people here, as an underperforming product. CJF just has a classy way of going about it. All in my view, of course.

Lets think for a minute how Brady would have fit in at PSU. One year he is a low level coach/analyst, a couple years later he is now the boss of the offense? Might be tough on the guys that have been around since he was an analyst. Though there was some turnover, still ML and TB were there.
That is an opinion based on reality. Reality and what gets proclaimed here are in different orbits.:oops: I did post a few weeks back that we lost Moorhead, Gattis and Huff....yet made no attempt (at least to my knowledge) to find a spot for Brady. To me that was telling.

It's silly to judge Rahne on one game. I judge Rahne on two seasons worth of games and two seasons of player development. He was OK but PSU was never going to have the kind of offensive sophistication that Ohio State, Minnesota and Michigan (after they absorbed Gattis' system) showed this year.

I don't know if Ciarrocca is going to be another Ryan Day, but it's definitely a big upgrade from what PSU has had the last two years.

This is a really nice Xmas present for the whole PSU community. I'm thrilled that Franklin saw what a lot of us were seeing, that for PSU to continue its upward path, it needed a stronger person in this very important job.

Probably not. Then again did Minnesota’s QB throw 3 picks like Clifford? PSU outgained Minnesota in total yards. I hope Ciarrocca is fantastic at PSU, but he hasn’t called one play yet. I also get that you and others don’t like Rahne but to claim that Ciarrocca is better than Rahne based upon one game is ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT