ADVERTISEMENT

Ciarrocca new OC at PSU

I like this hire from outside looking in..PA native, senior guy with 25+ yrs coaching experience including Joe Flacco and others. His recent success at Western Michigan and Minny. Similar offense won’t have to completely change things yet bring a different perspective. Probably help Clifford a lot and will add some wrinkles. Also, may not be a flashy ego guy, again outside looking in- who may stay a long time thus consistency and continued success.

Big question is how does Fleck feel? Lol pissed off at both or you think he was like good luck I understand lol..

Excited to see what he can do, wish him and our program the best of luck and great success in 2020!
Who cares how Fleck feels

This guy made Rahne look like a fool head to head. The system he ran at Minnesota seems a bit rigid, but those guys are clearly very well coached. Major upgrade over Rahne.

To the extent he made anyone on the PSU staff look like a fool it would be Pry not Rahne. I get that people don’t like Rahne, but honest to god get real.

This guy made Rahne look like a fool head to head. The system he ran at Minnesota seems a bit rigid, but those guys are clearly very well coached. Major upgrade over Rahne.
Until the first series of the first game then we’ll read all the posts claiming how bad he is.

Reactions: m48tank
And whose job was it to stop Minnesota’s offense? Rahne? Every OC makes some poor calls every game. To claim that this means Minnesota’s OC made Rahne look like a fool is ridiculous.
F off dude.

The Minnesota offense looked composed and in control. Penn State was the opposite, and certain play calls like the fades to Hamler were inexplicable. It was crystal clear which offensive had a better game plan and scheme.

Journey Brown saved Rahne’s ass that game along with his favorite play the QB run. I don’t “hate” Rahne but I think he is a very mediocre playcaller at best, and just not that good as an OC overall.

Penn State had over 500 yards of total offense but ok. Good news is you arm chairs have a new guy
I realize that dumbass, and you can check my old posts to see that I made this point many times.

I also rarely criticize Rahne, but you have to be blind not to think this guy is an upgrade.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Maybe we'll see some under-the-center snaps, some passes over the middle, and a physical running game?

What will be his recruiting territory?

Love this hire. They ran a lot of slants and, if not open, continued onto a post corner route. Often, they ran this with a slot receiver and they had a wide out to occupy the CB. So if the S stayed back the slant was open. If he bit, he was out of position to cover the post corner behind the CB (who was up covering the WR). Out S were just totally exposed time and again.

F off dude.

The Minnesota offense looked composed and in control. Penn State was the opposite, and certain play calls like the fades to Hamler were inexplicable. It was crystal clear which offensive had a better game plan and scheme.

Journey Brown saved Rahne’s ass that game along with his favorite play the QB run. I don’t “hate” Rahne but I think he is a very mediocre playcaller at best, and just not that good as an OC overall.

When your argument sucks, resort to classlessness. Maybe you should heed your own advice.

F off dude.

RR also pulled out the fade call and dusted it off in that game to of all people, Hamler. That was the worst call I saw all season long in one of the most important games ofmthe season. If people don't see the disparity in preparation in that game there is not much left to be said. Clearly Franklin did though, at least afterwards, when he had finished screaming over the headset at RR.

The whole "he is a PA guy" aspect is simply a stupid and myopic viewpoint.

I agree & dis-agree.

Yes... it can NOT be the sole reason to hire a guy. And it can NOT be the sole reason to think a guy will be a good hire. So on that I do agree.

BUT .... I do dis-agree that -- (if all things are equal) -- it does help having a guy who is passionate about his home. There are plenty of examples of coaches excelling because they are passionate about their home State. They are believing in what they are selling. IMO, the best example of that in today's college football is Kirby Smart at UGA. Kirby is a Georgia guy, he was born bred & raised in Georgia and he bleeds the State Flag... This comes across in Kirby Smart's passion in recruiting and since he arrived in Athens, Georgia has a top 2-3 recruiting class in the country. Take Kirby Smart and have him coach Penn State or South Carolina or USC.... and chances are his passion would not be as strong and his recruiting would not be as successful.

The Gophers rank 14th nationally in scoring (38.4 points per game) and have reached 34 points in seven consecutive games for the first time since 1905. The Gophers rank in the top 10 nationally in third-down conversions and time of possession, which go hand in hand. They desire to control the clock with a physical running game that, in turn, creates advantageous situations for their dynamic receiving corps, led by future NFL players Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman.
This will be interesting to see if PSU moves to a more physical running game, ball control offense like Minnesota had vs the big play offense that CJF has preferred.

Last edited:
Don’r confuse the haters with facts. According to the “logic” of the poster, Wisky’s OC made Ciarrocca look like a fool in Minny’s season finale. He also is making a lateral move whereas Rahne got a head coaching gig.
Did Whisky’s OC call fade passes to a 5’7” WR in critical situations? Ciarrocca is better than Rahne period, and the difference in perpetuation and execution was evidence that day.

Very good hire, forgot where I read it but one place said KC is a guy that would stick around for a long time vs. Brady. That will be important for recruiting where kids wants to play for the same coach for their 3-4 years (i.e. Flemming saying PSU has 3 WR's coaches recruit him vs. Hartline at OSU). Sorry for bringing up Flemming

Last edited:
Don’r confuse the haters with facts. According to the “logic” of the poster, Wisky’s OC made Ciarrocca look like a fool in Minny’s season finale. He also is making a lateral move whereas Rahne got a head coaching gig.
Rahne’s big head coaching gig will pay him about 500k less than the going rate in big boy college football for a prime time OC.

Ciarrocca will probably be paid more by PSU than Rahne will be making at ODU, by a wide margin.

Super thrilled with this hire. After we lost to Minnesota, I subjected myself to the pain of watching PJ Fleck's post-game press conference. He was asked how they beat Penn State, and Fleck said Kirk Ciarrocca did what he does best during the bye week -- he locked himself up for a week and devised a game plan that would beat Penn State. I was thinking at the time how nice it would be to have a tactical advantage with the Xs and Os, and -- welp -- here we are!

Welcome home, Kirk Ciarrocca & family!

Fast-forward to the 4:36 mark.

Last edited:
This will be interesting to see if PSU moves to a more physical running game, ball control office like Minnesota had vs the big play offense that CJF has preferred.
Why can’t we do both? Base on who your playing week to week and then even mix in a little both during a game to keep the opponents DC guessing whilst putting stress on the defensive players..would love that. What’s working that day to get the win;)

Reactions: m48tank
When your argument sucks, resort to classlessness. Maybe you should heed your own advice.
You jumped all over me first. What’s your argument? Duh, Rahne is good because when he has vastly superior players he can score some points. PSU was never going to be elite with him as the OC as he wasn’t good enough period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT