ADVERTISEMENT

Ciarrocca new OC at PSU

Did Whisky’s OC call fade passes to a 5’7” WR in critical situations? Ciarrocca is better than Rahne period, and the difference in perpetuation and execution was evidence that day.

Probably not. Then again did Minnesota’s QB throw 3 picks like Clifford? PSU outgained Minnesota in total yards. I hope Ciarrocca is fantastic at PSU, but he hasn’t called one play yet. I also get that you and others don’t like Rahne but to claim that Ciarrocca is better than Rahne based upon one game is ridiculous.

Reactions: marshall23
Probably not. Then again did Minnesota’s QB throw 3 picks like Clifford? PSU outgained Minnesota in total yards. I hope Ciarrocca is fantastic at PSU, but he hasn’t called one play yet. I also get that you and others don’t like Rahne but to claim that Ciarrocca is better than Rahne based upon one game is ridiculous.

Ciarroca is better than Rahne because Rahne was not a good coach and the comments published from in and around the program since Rahnes departure support this. Also, lettermen were vocal to Franklin that Rahne was not getting the job done and the program could do better.

Still a lot of positivity here, but we’re only on Page 2. I figure by Page 4, we will all accept what a disastrous hire this really is.

:eek:
He's to old and the game has passed him by.
Fleck was the real genius behind Minnesota.
How can anyone that coached at both Temple and Rutgers be any good?
:)

Not one game, but one game is a microcosm of what both men are about. Clifford throws three picks because he is asked to make more difficult throws on a regular basis. Morgan has guys wide open all day! Are you serious by the way with this argument?

Reactions: GreggK
Why can’t we do both? Base on who your playing week to week and then even mix in a little both during a game to keep the opponents DC guessing whilst putting stress on the defensive players..would love that. What’s working that day to get the win;)
Agree that you have to try to expose the other teams weaknesses and attack them but it seems PSU hasn't done that.

Reactions: ftlpsu
FIRE. CIAROCCA. :eek:
"Doesn't move the needle...." was not approved by Shorter.....not
elite....clearly not the shiny object those who know what it will take099⁹$
F off dude.

The Minnesota offense looked composed and in control. Penn State was the opposite, and certain play calls like the fades to Hamler were inexplicable. It was crystal clear which offensive had a better game plan and scheme.

Journey Brown saved Rahne’s ass that game along with his favorite play the QB run. I don’t “hate” Rahne but I think he is a very mediocre playcaller at best, and just not that good as an OC overall.
Rahne was just holding "us" back......We deserve better!

I know he didn't announce as of yet, but does Hamler reconsiders coming back? Wishful thinking :)

Ridiculous is what some do best!

Passion for what you represent. Watch LSU this year and Ed Orgeron is a total fit at LSU and his love & passion for Louisiana comes thru which is a huge selling point for inspiration for his team. Kirby Smart is the same way at Georgia. His passion and love for Georgia sweats out of his pores and bleeds from his veins and comes across to recruits which is a big reason under Smart, Georgia has always had a top 2-3 recruiting class. ..... NO... being from PA does not make him a "smarter" OC. But if he has a true passion for PA, and he is passionate about the Penn State product, then this will come across as "true" during recruiting.

His offense at Minn had a couple wrinkles that many here wanted our staff to try.

He's got experience as a play caller.

His offense should not require any growing pains.

Its not the "splash hire" of a Joe Brady coming back headline, but truthfully is "splash hire" the box we want to check in comparison to the other ones?

I agree & dis-agree.

Yes... it can NOT be the sole reason to hire a guy. And it can NOT be the sole reason to think a guy will be a good hire. So on that I do agree.

BUT .... I do dis-agree that -- (if all things are equal) -- it does help having a guy who is passionate about his home. There are plenty of examples of coaches excelling because they are passionate about their home State. They are believing in what they are selling. IMO, the best example of that in today's college football is Kirby Smart at UGA. Kirby is a Georgia guy, he was born bred & raised in Georgia and he bleeds the State Flag... This comes across in Kirby Smart's passion in recruiting and since he arrived in Athens, Georgia has a top 2-3 recruiting class in the country. Take Kirby Smart and have him coach Penn State or South Carolina or USC.... and chances are his passion would not be as strong and his recruiting would not be as successful.

No offense, but this is simply nonsense. It is bullsh*t sold to fans that somehow where they live/are from is more special than some other place.

PA simply ain't Xanadu.

Georgia is excelling because their HS and youth programs have put out incredible talent in the last 5-8 years. Any coach could come in and tell kids - hey, you can stay home. If Kirby Smart gets a call from Alabama when Saban retires, you don't think he would seriously consider it? Or Notre Dame? Or Michigan?

It's nonsense. And it's a silly bit of triviality that fans glom onto to make themselves feel better.

Urban Meyer was incredibly successful at Utah and Florida before Ohio State.

But hey - it's the season to believe in things that don't exist and child like fantasies.

Reactions: artsandletters
"Doesn't move the needle...." was not approved by Shorter.....not
elite....clearly not the shiny object those who know what it will take099⁹$

Rahne was just holding "us" back......We deserve better!
Go away. 80% of your posts are attacking the opinions of other posters. Must be miserable waiting around all day to rush to disagree with what strangers post on the internet.

And Yes, Rahne was not performing up to par. When you make 700k per year you have high expectations. Franklin wishes to be “elite”. Rahne was not making Franklin elite. He either makes a move or lowers his expectations. Once again I think you are advocating for lowered expectations.

His offense at Minn had a couple wrinkles that many here wanted our staff to try.

He's got experience as a play caller.

His offense should not require any growing pains.

Its not the "splash hire" of a Joe Brady coming back headline, but truthfully is "splash hire" the box we want to check in comparison to the other ones?
But Joe Brady would have motivated Shorter to diet!

One game? How about the fact that he had 2 1,000 yard receivers and a 1,000 yard running back with a sophomore qb at the helm.

Ciarroca is better than Rahne because Rahne was not a good coach and the comments published from in and around the program since Rahnes departure support this. Also, lettermen were vocal to Franklin that Rahne was not getting the job done and the program could do better.

How about you cite some specifics and name some of these lettermen.

Love the hire and think he can add a more run focused dimension to our offense to compliment the RPO. With the stable of running backs we have, we should be set to compete against anyone next season.
Not sure I can see the "more run focused..." but an experienced, proven OC and it will be interesting to see what nuances he may add.

sure hope PPB hates him ;)
Appears to be an experienced external hire without overpaying for someone unproven. That said, it will be interesting if Kirk is smart and confident enough to ignore Franklin’s offensive input and just call his own game. Rahne’s downfall was listening to Franklin and his preoccupation with “impact plays”.

Reactions: step.eng69
Well, now we can eliminate one of the OCs who knows how to defeat our defense.
Now we need a DC who knows how to stop their offense.
I think that he may be able to help our defense as well by showing what Minn. did to our defense.

Minn showed the way to attack our defense by running physically, and running crossing patterns and the utilization of tall receivers.
Shouldn't the present coaches be able to do that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT