ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago vs Kenosha WI?

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
I have to be in Chicago for a meeting and Kenosha WI the following day for another meeting. I’m planning to stay in Chicago the night before the meeting there, but am conflicted about spending the second night in Chicago and driving to Kenosha the morning before my meeting or driving to Kenosha after the Chicago meeting and staying there. The perceived benefit of Chicago is access to more/better food options. The benefit of staying in Kenosha is not having to deal with a lot of traffic between Chicago and Kenosha.

Any suggestions?

I have to be in Chicago for a meeting and Kenosha WI the following day for another meeting. I’m planning to stay in Chicago the night before the meeting there, but am conflicted about spending the second night in Chicago and driving to Kenosha the morning before my meeting or driving to Kenosha after the Chicago meeting and staying there. The perceived benefit of Chicago is access to more/better food options. The benefit of staying in Kenosha is not having to deal with a lot of traffic between Chicago and Kenosha.

Any suggestions?
Stay in Chicago Northside. Make commute (~90 minutes) - just don’t leave at Rush hour.

Have dinner in Chicago then drive to Kenosha. You'll miss rush hour traffic for your drive. Of course, this isn't a good idea if you plan to have more than a couple of drinks with dinner.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I was planning to stay at The Drake in Chicago. What time would I have to leave to be in Kenosha by 9:00 AM
You won’t see this post, but it is primarily intended for the other members of this board.

Why would someone elect to stay at a former 5star hotel (in the 1930’s) that is now renowned for its’ woeful lack of upkeep (dirty bathrooms) and outdated HVAC systems?

I’m guessing RD is attracted because of it’s highly discounted $145/night rack rate ... in midtown Chicago. Unheard of except for youth hostels :oops:

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
I was planning to stay at The Drake in Chicago. What time would I have to leave to be in Kenosha by 9:00 AM
Get out the door by 6:00 am. Or do what gogolion said...have dinner in Chicago and leave for Wisconsin after rush hour. You can sleep in late in a Kenosha hotel and save some $ to boot.

Have dinner in Chicago then drive to Kenosha. You'll miss rush hour traffic for your drive. Of course, this isn't a good idea if you plan to have more than a couple of drinks with dinner.
Good idea. I’ll have drinks with/after dinner the night I arrive.

Just be advised. The 41/94 is not a fun drive. Terrible road, tolls, and the drivers are a nightmare. Besides that, Chicago to Kenosha isn’t a far drive at all. Maybe 45 mins? Chicago to Milwaukee is 1:30 (made that plenty of times)

Last edited:
OH, and do yourself a favor. Get some BBQ at Smoque BBQ. Whenever wife and I get back to Milwaukee to see friends, we make the drive to Chicago to get Smoque for lunch and Lou Malnatis deep dish pizza for dinner. Took a foodie friend from MKE down there a month ago and she was blown away at how good the BBQ was

Just be advised. The 41/94 is not a fun drive. Terrible road, tolls, and the drivers are a nightmare. Besides that, Chicago to Kenosha isn’t a far drive at all. Maybe 45 mins? Chicago to Milwaukee is 1:30 (made that plenty of times)
is there a mass transit option?

Double down on Smoque, was there about three weeks ago. Outstanding brisket. And I’m used to Austin TX brisket.

Also, driving mileage Chicago - Kenosha is 65 miles. If it’s rush hour give yourself at least 1 1/2 hours at an absolute minimum.

Any suggestions?

Make time to see the Kenosha Kickers.

is there a mass transit option?

don't know. never made the drive to Kenosha. The only drives we did were from MKE to Chicago and back. Did a quick look online and it looks like there is the Metra UP-N that runs from Chicago to Kenosha for like 10$ one way. I'd check out the times and see how often it goes.

I don't think the drive is gonna be that bad though. Depends on when your meeting is (beginning and end) but figure if it's a morning meeting, the drive there would be A LITTLE shitty (most people are driving INTO the city, not OUT of the city), but the drive back to Chicago you can stop and get some lunch at Smoque and not be rushed back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT