ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Chicago Visit: Am I Safe in Downtown?

Lansing Michigan has a higher violent crime rate than Chicago but I haven't seen any posts asking if it's safe to attend a game at Michigan State.

Nashville's rate is higher.

Indianapolis is higher- no one's asked if they can safely attend a big ten championship game. St Elmo's balances out that hell hole I guess.

Cleveland's is higher.

St Louis is higher.

Milwaukee, Memphis, Baltimore, Little Rock, New Orleans. Higher, Higher, Higher, Higher, Higher.

Chicago has issues but they're hardly isolated yet I don't see any "is it safe to visit Cleveland and get Pizza Hut at the downtown store" posts. Gets old.
Well...Violent crime rates

As Bob Dylan sang, you don’t need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. I have eyes and ears and watch and listen to enough news reports to formulate a pretty good understanding of what has been happening in that city for quite some time.

No. You don’t. And that quote doesn’t make sense. Since you’re using the “weatherman” to tell you what’s happening in that city. Can’t feel the wind when you’re a thousand miles away. Really poor choice of lyrics. Literally about experiencing it first hand.

Kisses.

Also to the OP. You should have asked about river north, since that’s the neighborhood that Lou’s is in, not the loop.

Lansing Michigan has a higher violent crime rate than Chicago but I haven't seen any posts asking if it's safe to attend a game at Michigan State.

Nashville's rate is higher.

Indianapolis is higher- no one's asked if they can safely attend a big ten championship game. St Elmo's balances out that hell hole I guess.

Cleveland's is higher.

St Louis is higher.

Milwaukee, Memphis, Baltimore, Little Rock, New Orleans. Higher, Higher, Higher, Higher, Higher.

Chicago has issues but they're hardly isolated yet I don't see any "is it safe to visit Cleveland and get Pizza Hut at the downtown store" posts. Gets old.
Not really. Stats are averages so the extremely violent neighborhoods get averaged with safe neighborhoods. Do you think that makes the neighborhoods the same?
That point goes over your head.

Not really. Stats are averages so the extremely violent neighborhoods get averaged with safe neighborhoods. Do you think that makes the neighborhoods the same?
That point goes over your head.

I live in Chicago a half mile from wrigley, I understand the concept of safe and dangerous neighborhoods. Tourists don’t go to the south side. He’s going to a pizza place in river north which is full of drunk idiots he’s not going to the south side. As long as he doesn’t get drunk and fall in the river he’ll be fine. The loop is almost all office buildings, again not extremely violent, pretty dead most nights and weekends other than the corporate happy hour crowd.

Last edited:
I live in Chicago a half mile from wrigley, I understand the concept of safe and dangerous neighborhoods. Tourists don’t go to the south side. He’s going to a pizza place in river north which is full of drunk idiots he’s not going to the south side. As long as he doesn’t get drunk and fall in the river he’ll be fine. The loop is almost all office buildings, again not extremely violent, pretty dead most nights and weekends other than the corporate happy hour crowd.
Right. The south side is more dangerous than nashville.

What’s your point? That the worst part of cities are more dangerous than cities on the whole? No shit.

Does Nashville not have neighborhoods? Are there parts of Nashville more dangerous than Wrigleyville? Or Chicago collectively? The worst neighborhood in Nashville is more dangerous than Chicago.

Last edited:
There are parts of the southside, like Englewood, that are more dangerous than Nashville. I have family in Mount Greenwood, which is southside, and it is one of the safest neighborhoods in Chicago.

When I used to live in Chicago a few decades ago as a much younger man, I lived in Uptown (north side), and it was much rougher than Mount Greenwood.

The point is crime in Chicago is driven by very few neighborhoods. Stay out of Austin, Garfield Park, North Lawndale, and Englewood and you’ll be fine.

Reactions: fastlax16
There are parts of the southside, like Englewood, that are more dangerous than Nashville. I have family in Mount Greenwood, which is southside, and it is one of the safest neighborhoods in Chicago.

When I used to live in Chicago a few decades ago as a much younger man, I lived in Uptown (north side), and it was much rougher than Mount Greenwood.

The point is crime in Chicago is driven by very few neighborhoods. Stay out of Austin, Garfield Park, North Lawndale, and Englewood and you’ll be fine.
True of just about every city.

Reactions: GreatBasinNit
We are headed to Chicago for the weekend to visit relatives who live out in the Elgin & Saint Charles areas. We have done EVERYTHING there is to do out there. My wife loves the city and we are familiar with much of it (have stayed in the city for 2 NW games). Are there any areas “inside the loop” that I should avoid?

We typically enjoy a pizza at Lou Malnatti’s at 439 N Wells St and plan on doing so but would appreciate any input on the “vibe” in this region these days.
Thanks in advance!
As far as I know, they don’t have an online map to let you know where people are shitting in the streets like another city I won’t name, so you got that going for ya.

cities in the United States with the highest murder rates (murders per 100,000 people) are:

1. St. Louis, MO (69.4)
  2. Baltimore, MD (51.1)
  3. New Orleans, LA (40.6)
  4. Detroit, MI (39.7)
  5. Cleveland, OH (33.7)
  6. Las Vegas, NV (31.4)
  7. Kansas City, MO (31.2)
  8. Memphis, TN (27.1)
  9. Newark, NJ (25.6)
  10. Chicago, IL (24)
What’s that from?

ADVERTISEMENT