ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Chicago Visit: Am I Safe in Downtown?

Nittany Ziggy

Dec 10, 2003
Pittsburgh
We are headed to Chicago for the weekend to visit relatives who live out in the Elgin & Saint Charles areas. We have done EVERYTHING there is to do out there. My wife loves the city and we are familiar with much of it (have stayed in the city for 2 NW games). Are there any areas “inside the loop” that I should avoid?

We typically enjoy a pizza at Lou Malnatti’s at 439 N Wells St and plan on doing so but would appreciate any input on the “vibe” in this region these days.
Thanks in advance!

We are headed to Chicago for the weekend to visit relatives who live out in the Elgin & Saint Charles areas. We have done EVERYTHING there is to do out there. My wife loves the city and we are familiar with much of it (have stayed in the city for 2 NW games). Are there any areas “inside the loop” that I should avoid?

We typically enjoy a pizza at Lou Malnatti’s at 439 N Wells St and plan on doing so but would appreciate any input on the “vibe” in this region these days.
Thanks in advance!
Have you considered Gaza City?

Thanks in advance!
Never been there but advice for any major city this weekend:

Stay away from major universities.

Stay away from City Hall and major government buildings.

Stay away from social centers like park, squares, synagogues, mosques.

Be very aware, monitor local news.

Other than….have fun!

I've lived in downtown Chicago since 2015. We had conservative family members come up and tell us how shocked they were with how nice it was at our wedding (on Michigan avenue in the loop). "nothing like the news" was the gist of it. you should probably stay away if you're seriously getting pizza at Lou's. Tourist trap. Go to Pequods.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
I've lived in downtown Chicago since 2015. We had conservative family members come up and tell us how shocked they were with how nice it was at our wedding (on Michigan avenue in the loop). "nothing like the news" was the gist of it. you should probably stay away if you're seriously getting pizza at Lou's. Tourist trap. Go to Pequods.

When was your wedding? Why do you distinguish your “conservative” family members from all others as if only the conservatives aren’t certain if Chicago is safe?

• Haha
Reactions: bison13 and blair10
When was your wedding? Why do you distinguish your “conservative” family members from all others as if only the conservatives aren’t certain if Chicago is safe?
2021. Because only my conservative family members make jokes about how dangerous Chicago is.

They have Lou’s in the suburbs maybe stay out there and go to the one in elmhurst.

Reactions: GreggK
Pequod’s has great reviews. Many claim that it isn’t true Chicago deep dish, however. Will my car be safe outside of Pequod’s while I dine? I only ask because of the dozens of stories that I read like this one:

Reactions: bison13
4 kids were arrested for robbing a store at the end of my street today. Crime happens. What city do you live in?

The best you can do is to be aware of your surroundings at all times. Best of luck to you.

We were there a few weeks and it was fine. Standard big city common sense works. Be aware of your surroundings. Don’t be out too late. Don’t walk alone, etc.

I joked about the skunk 🦨 problem they seem to have.

No different than every major city I’ve been to recently. They have all seen an infestation of skunks. What’s strange is I’ve never seen an actual skunk roaming the streets.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
My wife and I go up every month to visit my daughter. The red line on weekends is sketchy, just be reserved and do your own thing..Blue line and Purple line trains are nice most of the time. Yes I was shocked there are some very nice areas to visit in Chicago. Enjoy your trip and hopefully you'll have good weather.

2021. Because only my conservative family members make jokes about how dangerous Chicago is.

They have Lou’s in the suburbs maybe stay out there and go to the one in elmhurst.
It’s no joke. Crime is at record highs, major retail is closing, car jacking, shootings, people streaming out of city. Chicago is bankrupt…tax base hollowing out.

All our documented facts - nothing to do with political beliefs. As a long-time resident…sad.

It’s no joke. Crime is at record highs, major retail is closing, car jacking, shootings, people streaming out of city. Chicago is bankrupt…tax base hollowing out.

All our documented facts - nothing to do with political beliefs. As a long-time resident…sad.

Lansing Michigan has a higher violent crime rate than Chicago but I haven't seen any posts asking if it's safe to attend a game at Michigan State.

Nashville's rate is higher.

Indianapolis is higher- no one's asked if they can safely attend a big ten championship game. St Elmo's balances out that hell hole I guess.

Cleveland's is higher.

St Louis is higher.

Milwaukee, Memphis, Baltimore, Little Rock, New Orleans. Higher, Higher, Higher, Higher, Higher.

Chicago has issues but they're hardly isolated yet I don't see any "is it safe to visit Cleveland and get Pizza Hut at the downtown store" posts. Gets old.

Last edited:
Lansing Michigan has a higher violent crime rate than Chicago but I haven't seen any posts asking if it's safe to attend a game at Michigan State game.

Nashville's rate is higher.

Indianapolis is higher- no one's asked if they can safely attend a big ten championship game. St Elmo's balances out that hell hole I guess.

Cleveland's is higher.

St Louis is higher.

Milwaukee, Memphis, Baltimore, Little Rock, New Orleans. Higher, Higher, Higher, Higher, Higher.

Chicago has issues but they're hardly isolated yet I don't see any "is it safe to visit Cleveland and get Pizza Hut at the downtown store" posts. Gets old.

Hmm, I wonder what the common denominator is.

I was there last weekend with my 4 grandkids and had no issues. Michigan avenue was packed. Stores packed. Architecture boat tour packed. (Do this, it’s great). Kids loved Blue Man Group. Did Van Gogh immersive. Also well worth it. Ate in local restaurants. Felt totally safe. And….I’m conservative 😬

I live in the suburbs of Chicago but visit the city pretty regularly because my son and girlfriend live there. I had to go to Milwaukee to get my car stolen.

Outside the city limits perhaps, but how does Burt's Place compare to Pequods?

Thanks in advance!
Sad that you have to ask this question.

Thanks in advance!
Hopefully the teens in Chicago don't pick this weekend to riot in the loop as they've done in the past.
Chicago is not the city it was but you have to live your life. That said be careful and watch where you go and when you go.

Hopefully the teens in Chicago don't pick this weekend to riot in the loop as they've done in the past.
Chicago is not the city it was but you have to live your life. That said be careful and watch where you go and when you go.
My great uncle and aunt and their son and his family used to live in Rolling Meadows before the latter had to move to Detroit for work. My family and I used to visit them in summers and go to Cubs games and take boat rides from the Chicago River into Lake Michigan, and walk all around the city, etc. Of course, we always would go to a Lou Manati’s for deep dish pizza, which I loved. The last time that I was in downtown Chicago was in the summer of 2010, and had a great time. It saddens me what has happened to that city in the last decade; it’s just another example of incompetent and corrupt leadership.

Last edited:
I grew up in the Chicago area but moved to Arizona quite a few years ago. I hadn’t been back to Chicago in about a decade until taking a trip to our Chicago office in May 2022. The office is on the west side of the Loop, so I stayed in a hotel and went to several restaurants in the Loop area (Giordano’s at Jackson and Franklin — awesome — and Luke’s a block east on Jackson — sucked; I was fooled by Luke’s of Chicago, which is a really good place for Italian beef in Phoenix, but after visiting the Luke’s on Jackson, I don’t think there’s any association between the two.) I was in awe of how much nicer the Loop area is now compared to a decade ago. In case you don’t know this, “the Loop” is not a generic term for all of downtown, it’s specific to the area roughly bounded by Wabash on the east, Congress on the south, and the Chicago river on the west and north. It’s named after the CTA trains (the “L”) forming a loop in that area. It’s mainly a business district and used to be pretty desolate on evenings and weekends. It’s still not really a tourist destination (except for maybe the Sears Tower, now named Willis Tower), but it was much more active than it used to be. Even State Street used to be pretty dead outside of weekday afternoons, but seems a lot more active now. It was even cold and rainy when I was there, but it still wasn’t dead.

Despite that, Michigan Ave, although poorly named, is much more active than the Loop. It sounds like you know the area, so I won’t try to give you many suggestions, but will say that the Art Institute is one of my favorite destinations near the Loop. Also, I took the boat tour that departs immediately south of the Wrigley Building and it was great, despite the uncomfortable weather. I was blown away by how beautiful some of the newer buildings are, particularly along the branch of the river just off the lake.

Lastly, from the other threads, I can see some will agree and some will disagree, but my favorite Chicago pizza places are Giordano’s, Uno’s, Lou Malnati’s, and Gino’s East. I also like Portillo’s for Italian beef. I lived in the suburbs and, as I said, haven‘t lived in the area for a long time, so have no reason to argue against the opinions of those who live in the city now, but just wanted to offer my perspective. But the main takeaway I would want to give you is don’t believe the people who have never even been there but still want to tell you that Chicago and Gaza are comparable. You’d be foolish to hang out on the south or west sides (except around the United Center if the Bulls or Blackhawks are playing), but downtown, Wrigleyville, and other near-north neighborhoods are going to be fine.

Reactions: fastlax16
My great uncle and aunt and their son and his family used to live in Rolling Meadows before the latter had to move to Detroit for work. My family and I used to visit them in summers and go to Cubs games and take boat rides from the Chicago River into Lake Michigan, and walk all around the city, etc. Of course, we always would go to a Lou Manati’s for deep dish pizza, which I loved. The last time that I was in downtown Chicago was in the summer of 2010, and had a great time. It saddens me what has happened to that city in the last decade; it’s just another example of incompetent and corrupt leadership.

You might not be qualified to make that statement given you haven’t been to the city in almost a decade and a half.

Thanks in advance!
Stayed on Michigan ave for 6 days during NW game 2 weeks ago. It was awesome. Chicago not in top 20 for violent cities.

Stayed on Michigan ave for 6 days during NW game 2 weeks ago. It was awesome. Chicago not in top 20 for violent cities.
cities in the United States with the highest murder rates (murders per 100,000 people) are:

1. St. Louis, MO (69.4)
  2. Baltimore, MD (51.1)
  3. New Orleans, LA (40.6)
  4. Detroit, MI (39.7)
  5. Cleveland, OH (33.7)
  6. Las Vegas, NV (31.4)
  7. Kansas City, MO (31.2)
  8. Memphis, TN (27.1)
  9. Newark, NJ (25.6)
  10. Chicago, IL (24)

cities in the United States with the highest murder rates (murders per 100,000 people) are:

1. St. Louis, MO (69.4)
  2. Baltimore, MD (51.1)
  3. New Orleans, LA (40.6)
  4. Detroit, MI (39.7)
  5. Cleveland, OH (33.7)
  6. Las Vegas, NV (31.4)
  7. Kansas City, MO (31.2)
  8. Memphis, TN (27.1)
  9. Newark, NJ (25.6)
  10. Chicago, IL (24)

Violent crime rates take into account more crimes than just murder. Things like rape for example.

Is it safe to attend the game at Ford field though? Probably better off going to Gaza.

You might not be qualified to make that statement given you haven’t been to the city in almost a decade and a half.
As Bob Dylan sang, you don’t need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. I have eyes and ears and watch and listen to enough news reports to formulate a pretty good understanding of what has been happening in that city for quite some time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT