ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Strong rips into Texas offense at press conference

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Bunch of Texas fans complaining about the Longhorns' offensive line.

Anyway, here's a handful of Charlie Strong's comments from today's press conference in Austin:

Strong on the awful start: “We can’t go through another season with a bad offense. That cannot happen. We have some talented players. You look at (running back Johnathan) Gray. He touched the ball eight times the other night. He’s a factor. The ball needs to be fed to him anywhere from 15 to 20 to 25 times. Our offense has to run through our running backs, and we have to run the football. … We have some athletes on offense that we have to do a better job of spreading the ball around and make sure the right guys get the touches.”

His evaluation of assistant head coach for offense Shawn Watson: “We have to evaluate it. It comes from that whole offensive staff. Shawn is the offensive coordinator, but other guys are involved, I’m involved, and we have to evaluate this week and see where we are. We have to change. We have to get better on offense. Last year is last year, but to come out of this game with three points, with the players we have, we should be more productive.”

Strong on his own involvement in the offense: “I have to do a better job as a head football coach. I am involved in the offense. When it comes to third down, I tell them whether we run or pass and in the two-minute situation, but on defense, I call some of the plays and am involved in the kicking game. We have to make sure we evaluate it as a coaching staff, offensive side, defensive side, and we have to get better. That’s not who we are. The other night is not who we are. It’s not what we’re about. I know this: We are a better football team than what we showed the other night.”

Strong on how the offense was supposed to look different this year: “There are millions and millions of people involved in this program, and we have to give them hope. They need to see progress. After the other night, you look at that game, wow. We said we were going to be up-tempo. We weren’t up-tempo. We said we going to do this, and that didn’t happen. There’s got to be hope and progress. You’ve got all these young players, but there still has to be something where we’re looking and saying, ‘Hey, we may be young, but maybe we are getting better.’ We didn’t see those things.”

Strong doesn’t talk much with players or coaches on Sundays: “Yesterday, I didn’t say much. I will meet with our staff today. It’s hard for me, after a game, to meet with our guys on a Sunday, just the way I feel. There’s some things said I’ll probably regret later, and I don’t want it to come out the wrong way. It bothers me when we play the way we do. It bothers me when we’re not productive, and it bothers me when we’re not accountable as coaches. It’s hard for me to meet with guys. I don’t talk to my own family. I don’t talk to anyone.”

But Strong knows he has to transition from anger to excitement for the next game: “The last three showings we’ve had have been embarrassing. I told our staff it has been embarrassing. You have to continue to build confidence. As a head football coach, they’re still going to feed off you, so it’s how I go about it Monday. Yesterday, I said I wasn’t very good, but when we went out to practice, and around the players, I lighten up, because I know I’ve gotta have it. You don’t want to be down, because they’re going to be down.”

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...e-Texas-offense--6-notable-quotes-from-Monday

Last edited:
From today's press conference in Austin:

Strong on the awful start: “We can’t go through another season with a bad offense. That cannot happen. We have some talented players. You look at (running back Johnathan) Gray. He touched the ball eight times the other night. He’s a factor. The ball needs to be fed to him anywhere from 15 to 20 to 25 times. Our offense has to run through our running backs, and we have to run the football. … We have some athletes on offense that we have to do a better job of spreading the ball around and make sure the right guys get the touches.”

His evaluation of assistant head coach for offense Shawn Watson: “We have to evaluate it. It comes from that whole offensive staff. Shawn is the offensive coordinator, but other guys are involved, I’m involved, and we have to evaluate this week and see where we are. We have to change. We have to get better on offense. Last year is last year, but to come out of this game with three points, with the players we have, we should be more productive.”

Strong on his own involvement in the offense: “I have to do a better job as a head football coach. I am involved in the offense. When it comes to third down, I tell them whether we run or pass and in the two-minute situation, but on defense, I call some of the plays and am involved in the kicking game. We have to make sure we evaluate it as a coaching staff, offensive side, defensive side, and we have to get better. That’s not who we are. The other night is not who we are. It’s not what we’re about. I know this: We are a better football team than what we showed the other night.”

Strong on how the offense was supposed to look different this year: “There are millions and millions of people involved in this program, and we have to give them hope. They need to see progress. After the other night, you look at that game, wow. We said we were going to be up-tempo. We weren’t up-tempo. We said we going to do this, and that didn’t happen. There’s got to be hope and progress. You’ve got all these young players, but there still has to be something where we’re looking and saying, ‘Hey, we may be young, but maybe we are getting better.’ We didn’t see those things.”

Strong doesn’t talk much with players or coaches on Sundays: “Yesterday, I didn’t say much. I will meet with our staff today. It’s hard for me, after a game, to meet with our guys on a Sunday, just the way I feel. There’s some things said I’ll probably regret later, and I don’t want it to come out the wrong way. It bothers me when we play the way we do. It bothers me when we’re not productive, and it bothers me when we’re not accountable as coaches. It’s hard for me to meet with guys. I don’t talk to my own family. I don’t talk to anyone.”

But Strong knows he has to transition from anger to excitement for the next game: “The last three showings we’ve had have been embarrassing. I told our staff it has been embarrassing. You have to continue to build confidence. As a head football coach, they’re still going to feed off you, so it’s how I go about it Monday. Yesterday, I said I wasn’t very good, but when we went out to practice, and around the players, I lighten up, because I know I’ve gotta have it. You don’t want to be down, because they’re going to be down.”

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...e-Texas-offense--6-notable-quotes-from-Monday

I don't understand, he almost sounds like he is an outsider..."we said we were gonna be uptempo; we weren't uptempo at all." Um, you're the head coach! Do something about it! Couldn't you tell as the game was going on that you weren't uptempo? Tell the OC, "hey, I want to see us uptempo, now" If he doesn't listen, take over the play calling and fire him on the spot. How weird to be complaining about things that he has absolute control over.

Reactions: john4psu
My Golden Bears play these guys in Austin in two weeks. If WE beat them, then we'll know Texas is TRULY awful. I think it could well happen.

I don't understand, he almost sounds like he is an outsider..."we said we were gonna be uptempo; we weren't uptempo at all." Um, you're the head coach! Do something about it! Couldn't you tell as the game was going on that you weren't uptempo? Tell the OC, "hey, I want to see us uptempo, now" If he doesn't listen, take over the play calling and fire him on the spot. How weird to be complaining about things that he has absolute control over.
Good luck trying to hire a decent OC after firing his predecessor mid game.

Besides, going uptempo is impossible if your offense goes 3 and Out. Texas only had 4 drives that didn't result in a 3and out.

Good luck trying to hire a decent OC after firing his predecessor mid game.

Besides, going uptempo is impossible if your offense goes 3 and Out. Texas only had 4 drives that didn't result in a 3and out.

You missed my point entirely. The head coach is complaining about the fact that his team wasn't running the type of offense that they were supposed to run. And i'm just wondering why in the world the head coach didn't do something about it as it was happening as opposed to just sitting back and letting it happen and then complaining about it to the media afterwards.

Reactions: Westcoast24
I posted about this similarities between PSU and Texas in another thread. Here you have 2 coaches that were successful and they are both struggling big time, especially on offense. Louisville was pretty high powered when Strong was there and Vandy looked nothing like the PSU offense on Saturday. So I'm not sure what exactly the fundamental issue. I don't quite get how both could be so bd.

I see he pulled play calling from the OC, Shawn Watson, today. Your move Coach Franklin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT