ADVERTISEMENT

CFN Football School Academic Rankings

Interesting that the B1G had 12 of the top 31. Definitely the top all-around conference when it comes to academics, athetics and especially revenue. I was surprised that MSU and OSU were that high.

But let's be honest, CF has long left the academic side in its rear view mirror. It's all about money and winning now and anyone that claims otherwise is just fooling themselves. The days of fanbases claiming "we do things the right way" is comical at best

Reactions: johnmpsu

It's a composite of Forbes and US News & World Report rankings. It's odd, no other school has the difference between the 2 that PSU does.
Also, Pitt, PSU, and Temple all have significant gaps with Forbes' ranking being much lower. It's like something about PA has biased their ranking ??
EDIT: those 3 are all State-Affiliated universities that have complained about state funding. May be something to do with debt and ROI components of the ranking for forbes?

T66 Penn State​

Forbes 97, US News & World Report T30

Reactions: bison13
Interesting that the B1G had 12 of the top 31. Definitely the top all-around conference when it comes to academics, athetics and especially revenue. I was surprised that MSU and OSU were that high.

But let's be honest, CF has long left the academic side in its rear view mirror. It's all about money and winning now and anyone that claims otherwise is just fooling themselves. The days of fanbases claiming "we do things the right way" is comical at best
These are World University rankings and they rate the school as a whole. It has nothing to do with football and whether or not your players do well academically. We do things the right way.

It's a composite of Forbes and US News & World Report rankings. It's odd, no other school has the difference between the 2 that PSU does.
Also, Pitt, PSU, and Temple all have significant gaps with Forbes' ranking being much lower. It's like something about PA has biased their ranking ??
EDIT: those 3 are all State-Affiliated universities that have complained about state funding. May be something to do with debt and ROI components of the ranking for forbes?

T66 Penn State​

30th seems much more realistic.

Also keep in mind some of the rankings take into account things like:

affordability
dorm quality
on campus parking
(i.e. things that do not affect the quality of the school)

Reactions: bison13
These are World University rankings and they rate the school as a whole. It has nothing to do with football and whether or not your players do well academically. We do things the right way.
My point is that I read this on all of the major CF sites and it starts to have a hollow ring to it. PSU, Michigan ND, OSU.....and on and on .....all recruit the same HS kids and go after the same kids in the Portal. You hardly ever hear the education BS "first" come into play any more with all CF powers. It's all about winning - AT ALL SCHOOLS.

Ask yourself - and be honest - how many of these so-called college scholar-athletes would even be in college if it wasn't for their athletic skills? I think we all know the answer. I'm a Northwestern grad and I think I can safely say that NU has the best academic standards in the conference but I know for a fact that certain "allowances' are made for the athletes at NU. What do you think goes on at Michigan, OSU and PSU?

College Football is a business, who really cares about graduation rates or such things as learning . How much money can I make before I am done with my eligibility.
Yep, not that hard to figure out anymore. It's not the 1960s to 1990s when fan bases use to throw the "education" BS when things weren't going well on the field of play. It's all about MONEY - plain and simple

Reactions: Westcoast24

T66 Penn State​

So, that is what I noticed as well. I wonder what the metrics are for Forbes in how they calculate. And how PSU fairs so badly with them relative to peer institutions.

So, that is what I noticed as well. I wonder what the metrics are for Forbes in how they calculate. And how PSU fairs so badly with them relative to peer institutions.

Penn State tuition is absurd. State appropriations are only a small factor, but noting that the 3 schools with the biggest ratings gaps are the 3 PA State-affiliated universities (Pitt, Temple, PSU), it would seem tied to something financially, like ROI and debt...just a guess without doing a deep dive on the data.

Penn State tuition is absurd. State appropriations are only a small factor, but noting that the 3 schools with the biggest ratings gaps are the 3 PA State-affiliated universities (Pitt, Temple, PSU), it would seem tied to something financially, like ROI and debt...just a guess without doing a deep dive on the data.

It would make sense and that would certainly impact them especially compared to other public schools. But I do wonder about the specific methodology and how it differs from USN&WR

So I found this from Forbes:

We ranked U.S. colleges and universities based on return on investment, average student debt levels and outcomes for their graduates. Schools ranked highly on our list if their students returned after their first year, graduated on time, secured high salaries after graduation and left college with little student debt. We incorporated outcomes for low-income students in two measures, looking closely at six-year graduation rates and return-on-investment measures for recipients of Pell grants (federal aid reserved for students with the greatest financial need). We also rewarded colleges that enrolled a greater percentage of low-income students. For a complete explanation of our methodology, click here.

Just eyeballing the list, it appears that PSU is ranked low for financial reasons at @heckmans has suggested... PSU's average grant aid is low compared to other schools, average debt is a little on the high side (but not really far out of whack), and average 10 year salary is lower than other institutions.

Also Forbes notes this as one of the criteria....

The Forbes American Leaders List is part of what sets Forbes’s rankings apart from the crowd. The list aims to gauge the leadership and entrepreneurial success of a college’s graduates. To do this, we count how many listmakers each school produced on the most recent Forbes 30 Under 30, Forbes 400, Richest Self-Made Women and Most Powerful Women lists. We also count the undergraduate alma maters of members of the Presidential cabinet, Supreme Court, Congress and sitting governors, as well as winners of the MacArthur Fellowship, Nobel Prize, Breakthrough Prize, Lasker Prize, Fields Prize, Academy Awards, Oscars, Tony’s, NAACP Awards, Guggenheim Fellowship, Presidential Medals, Pulitzer Prizes, and major sport all-stars. This measure is weighted at 15%.

I feel like a lot of that (except the sports all stars) probably skews very heavily in terms of "elite" private schools which might explain why even many smaller private school rank high on this list seemingly out of proportion with stuff like USN&WR.

PSU spent like drunken sailors for 50 years. All of the unnecessary buildings have to be maintained and depreciated. POLICY CHANGE
Refuse all donations that require new buildings to enshrine the giver and burden the school with overhead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT