ADVERTISEMENT

cbs sports "experts" don't appear to be big fans of Penn State...

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
DKQQyoGVAAEk04i.jpg:large

Probably like Iowa with the points. Vegas is pretty good at figuring out what points will make folks bet both ways. I'm not reading that as expecting PSU to lose. Although it may impact the "looks test." ;-)

You are correct. My bad. They pick both straight up and against the spread. Only 2 of them picked us to lose straight up.
If there's 7-10 of them, that actually seems realistic to me. This PSU team v. that Iowa team playing a night game in Kinnick. 2 out of 7 or 10 times, It's reasonable to expect Iowa would win.

Where did you find that Mt. Nittany? I just checked the CBS Sports SFB site, and I could not find it.

You are correct. My bad. They pick both straight up and against the spread. Only 2 of them picked us to lose straight up.

12.5 is a lot to be giving since Iowa is still undefeated and playing at home. Given the home field advantage, that's like giving Iowa 15.5 on a neutral field and the line would be PSU +18.5 if they were playing at The Beav.

OP has already acknowledged that he wasn't aware it was "with points" so doesn't seem like a bad pick on paper now.

I live in Cedar Rapids Iowa and most the local radio stations and many of the Hawkeye fans are predicting the upset.

While I do expect it to be close, I don't see how a close game at Kinnick should hurt on the rankings. If anything, a 20 point win should be a bump, depending on how others do.

I went in 2008, and this game has entirely different feel. In 2008 every fan assumed PSU was winning that game. Pregame Hawkeye fans were telling us so, and going on to say they hope we went on to win the whole thing. Many of them just hoped they could keep it close.

Always felt like it was a good example of an unprepared team that underestimated their opponent.

Anybody getting that vibe this season?

I really want another year of bragging rights. I don't rub it in, well just the first few hours. Some of my family though, they won't let me hear the end of it until next time we play if PSU loses. Maybe when we wrestle the Hawks =D

I live in Cedar Rapids Iowa and most the local radio stations and many of the Hawkeye fans are predicting the upset.

Liex: Ever been to Lake Okoboji in the summer? It's great boating over to Arnolds Park at night.

I laid the points. Does anyone really think McSorley will have a game like he did against pitt. If not, then Iowa is going to have trouble all night stopping this offense. We've barely gotten our WR involved in the offense. If they crowd the LOS to stop Barkley, then McSorley will spread it around to Gesicki. Johnson, Hamilton, Thompkins, Blacknall and Polk or he'll tuck it and run.

Some people may not like Barkley returning kicks but, I think he and Thompkins will continue to give Penn State good starting field position and Gillikin will change the field position with his punts.

Quite frankly, I think they could probably beat the 18.5 point spread if the offense is on.

History-
All time wins: PSU 14 - IA 12
Games in Iowa City
13 Games in State College
Both teams average better on the road.
Total point scored in Iowa City: IA (206) - PSU (320)
Total points scored in State College: IA (228) - PSU (315)
Combined: IA (434) - PSU (635)
9 games have ended within a single score to tie. (35%)
Only 3 of those 9 were in Iowa City.
Each team holds 1 shutout: 31-0 PSU (1993) 19-0 IA (1930) [both held in Iowa City]
Penn State currently has a 3 game win streak, their best is 5. Iowa also had 5.

What does this mean? Nothing.

One of those local radio guys had Iowa winning 9-10....
Sure, it's possible, not very likely that PSU will be held to 9 points.

If I had to make a prediction on hope and heart, it would be Johnson having 6+ catches for over 100 yards.

Too bad we didn't have a tougher test at home before going to Iowa. Some MAC teams provide a good test but not Akron, at least this year. Pitt might normally be a good test but they lost too much on the OL, new QB, coaching change, and suspensions.

I hope everyone picks Iowa....we already know Mushmouf will....gotta keep a chip on these guys' shoulders. I want them hungry and out for blood. They got disrespected by many going into last year's Iowa game and we saw how that ended up.

Mush is not a Wolverine ....Wolverines are only near extinct. Every time I see Mush is still broadcasting a game I wonder why Tutankhamen is not in the booth with him?

If I had to make a prediction on hope and heart, it would be Johnson having 6+ catches for over 100 yards.
that could happen

The key IMO is McSorely having a good game, which MOSTLY means making the right choices of where to go with the ball, when to run it himself, and basic accuracy. If he plays well, there is just no way for almost any college team to stop the PSU offense. Too many playmakers.

So if McSorely plays well, what is the path to victory for Iowa?? Or even to keep it close? It would have to be turnovers, a big edge in special teams play, and an unexpectedly good performance by the Iowa offense. Improbable that happens.

Reactions: KnightSlayer
that could happen

The key IMO is McSorely having a good game, which MOSTLY means making the right choices of where to go with the ball, when to run it himself, and basic accuracy. If he plays well, there is just no way for almost any college team to stop the PSU offense. Too many playmakers.

So if McSorely plays well, what is the path to victory for Iowa?? Or even to keep it close? It would have to be turnovers, a big edge in special teams play, and an unexpectedly good performance by the Iowa offense. Improbable that happens.
I think it comes down to our D. If we don't stop them from getting first downs and let them drive like Pitt did, they're good enough to put the ball in the end zone. With them eating clock and keeping our O off the field, they could not only stay in the game but win. I think we can score enough to win the game, but we have to be tighter on D than we were against Pitt.

Reactions: brupsu
I think it comes down to our D. If we don't stop them from getting first downs and let them drive like Pitt did, they're good enough to put the ball in the end zone. With them eating clock and keeping our O off the field, they could not only stay in the game but win. I think we can score enough to win the game, but we have to be tighter on D than we were against Pitt.
Well, it's possible. But, what's the chance that their ball control offense could outscore the PSU big play offense? They would have to execute almost perfectly to score a lot of points: PSU is bound to hit big plays even with a time of possession deficit.

Just my opinion, but as I think this through, an Iowa win would be fluky.

Well, it's possible. But, what's the chance that their ball control offense could outscore the PSU big play offense? They would have to execute almost perfectly to score a lot of points: PSU is bound to hit big plays even with a time of possession deficit.

Just my opinion, but as I think this through, an Iowa win would be fluky.
Think about if Pitt would have scored TD's....would have been a completely different game. We still would have won, but it could have been a whole different scenario. We have to get some three and outs or six and outs on defense or it could be a really close game. And close games always come down to a turnover or an ill timed three and out by the offense.

Think about if Pitt would have scored TD's....would have been a completely different game. We still would have won, but it could have been a whole different scenario. We have to get some three and outs or six and outs on defense or it could be a really close game. And close games always come down to a turnover or an ill timed three and out by the offense.

Yeah, I get your point, and we'll see -- it may be a tight game which Iowa could find a way to win.

But a Pitt or Iowa just doesn't score touchdowns so easily. They generally need long drives with no mistakes. This PSU offense can score at any time and IMO will put up 30+ points on Iowa. Can they really match that? and I think you're too pessimistic about the PSU defense, and our special teams look as strong as I can recall for a PSU team. No real weaknesses.

Carry on if you like. I feel confident about this one.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
Yeah, I get your point, and we'll see -- it may be a tight game which Iowa could find a way to win.

But a Pitt or Iowa just doesn't score touchdowns so easily. They generally need long drives with no mistakes. This PSU offense can score at any time and IMO will put up 30+ points on Iowa. Can they really match that? and I think you're too pessimistic about the PSU defense, and our special teams look as strong as I can recall for a PSU team. No real weaknesses.

Carry on if you like. I feel confident about this one.
Oh, I think we will win and I would be thrilled if it was like last year's game, but I think it will be close. I've got my blood pressure pills ready (or alcohol) and I'm ready for a close game. We had some close ones last year and I don't see us rolling through every game this year, so let the conference games begin.

History-
All time wins: PSU 14 - IA 12
Games in Iowa City
13 Games in State College
Both teams average better on the road.
Total point scored in Iowa City: IA (206) - PSU (320)
Total points scored in State College: IA (228) - PSU (315)
Combined: IA (434) - PSU (635)
9 games have ended within a single score to tie. (35%)
Only 3 of those 9 were in Iowa City.
Each team holds 1 shutout: 31-0 PSU (1993) 19-0 IA (1930) [both held in Iowa City]
Penn State currently has a 3 game win streak, their best is 5. Iowa also had 5.

What does this mean? Nothing.

One of those local radio guys had Iowa winning 9-10....
Sure, it's possible, not very likely that PSU will be held to 9 points.

You live in the twilight zone. Those people are delusional. Sniffing pig manure too much.

that could happen

Ahh, Bama would stuff our offense.

The only way Iowa wins is if the sky falls.

But Pitt didn't score TDs. Well one late.

Think about it, if we weren't ahead 14 pts almost immediately, we might have played differently as well.

The way I look at it is the Defense has given up 1 touchdown in 3 games....Everyone knew the O was Great coming into the season and the D would be, maybe suspect......but to hold any college teams no matter how bad to 1 touchdown in 3 games is pretty darn impressive. The Vaunted Bama D has given up 4 TD;s this season and outside of FSU(who lost their QB in the game) hasn't played great competition.

Yeah, my one worry is the LBs shedding blocks and making tackles but, it's not like Iowa is tearing it up running the ball. They played as weak a non conference as we did and they are only averaging 3.8 ypc. I think pitt has a better running game than Iowa. If we get out in front of Iowa like we should have been against pitt, it will limit their opportunities to eat clock with a running attack. Pitt stuck with the running attack to shorten the game and keep from getting blown out. They had no real intention of winning.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Think about it, if we weren't ahead 14 pts almost immediately, we might have played differently as well.

I think that had something to do with it. Emphasis on protecting the ball, don't give up big plays on d and make Pitt drive the field.. game was never in doubt.

I think this team relishes the primetime spot and comes up with their best performance. It's time to get down to business in the conference season. If the "experts" think Iowa is going to cover, then I expect a lopsided win in our favor.

key to this game is PSU shutting down Iowa's running game. We will score points but can they keep up with us? Iowa will run a ball control, grind-it-out offense to keep our offense off the field. They will probably win the TOP. If we keep them under 28, we win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT