ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Bowl Projections.

I love that they keep discounting this team. Not that the Orange Bowl is bad, I just feel this team is playoff bound.

I don't think anyone is discounting this team. "They" just think O$U is (slightly?) better and the head-to-head is at O$U this year.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Based on players that are returning, Penn State is better than anyone in the Big Ten. Based on the players that are new, well, nothing can be "based" on players that are new, but everyone is doing a darn good job of underestimating ours, and overestimating theirs. I saw a youtube link of a guy who did a "simulation" on everyone's season and it was obvious how much the guy disliked PSU, and how he had us losing games in the final seconds with opposing teams driving 70 yards in two plays. Things like that. I felt earlier and posted that PSU is being underestimated and is actually flying under the radar, somehow, yet again this year. I think Wisconsin, by the way, is also.

Last edited:
Based on players that are returning, Penn State is better than anyone in the Big Ten. Based on the players that are new, well, nothing can be "based" on players that are new, but everyone is doing a darn good job of underestimating ours, and overestimating theirs.

Best part is that on Oct. 28, we'll find out. What CBS predicts in August really doesn't matter.

Best part is that on Oct. 28, we'll find out. What CBS predicts in August really doesn't matter.

We will find out even earlier I think, on the 21st at night at Beaver Stadium, when Harbaugh's amazing team of "talent and potential" takes the field in an atmosphere that they have never seen before and cannot imagine at the moment.

don't think anyone is discounting this team. "They" just think O$U is (slightly?) better and the head-to-head is at O$U this year

So we should get the CFP bid this year even if osu beats us in columbass this year....seems fair.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I don't think anyone is discounting this team. "They" just think O$U is (slightly?) better and the head-to-head is at O$U this year.

That's what the media is focusing on, but really the key for PSU is not to lose any other games. Who knows what the outcome will be at Columbus. Overall, I think OSU lost enough players that they are going to slip up more than once and will not be in the conversation for the playoff.

Of course, if that happens ESPN will immediately spin it as nobody in the B1G should go.

Last edited:
Reactions: psuno1 and gslachta
don't think anyone is discounting this team. "They" just think O$U is (slightly?) better and the head-to-head is at O$U this year

So we should get the CFP bid this year even if osu beats us in columbass this year....seems fair.

If that is our only loss, and they have 2 losses, then yes.

That's what the media is focusing on, but really the key for PSU is not to lose any other games. Who knows what the outcome will be at Columbus. Overall, I think OSU lost enough players that they are going to slip up more than once and will not be in the conversation for the playoff.

Of course, if that happens ESPN will immediately spin it as nobody in the B1G should go.

I agree completely and hope for the latter part, as well.

Edit: The latter part being that O$U slips up more than once.

I agree completely and hope for the latter part, as well.

Edit: The latter part being that O$U slips up more than once.

My gut feeling is that they will lose two or three. Barrett is not good. Reminds me of Morelli or something. Ok, but not dependable in the clutch at all. Also if it becomes apparent Kelly is getting fired at ND don't be surprised if Urban gets distracted with his next big payday. Between Franklin and Harbaugh he may be sensing that he won't be able to hold a monopoly over conference recruiting and this is the same dynamic that he ran away from at UF

I actually think it would be kind of funny if the roles were reversed this year to see the backpedaling on the Big champ has to go to the CFP.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
We will find out even earlier I think, on the 21st at night at Beaver Stadium, when Harbaugh's amazing team of "talent and potential" takes the field in an atmosphere that they have never seen before and cannot imagine at the moment.

Didn't we have a whiteout against them in 2015? Don't underestimate good they will be. Should we be a slight favorite? Yes.
Is this game a lock? Hell no.

Didn't we have a whiteout against them in 2015? Don't underestimate good they will be. Should we be a slight favorite? Yes.
Is this game a lock? Hell no.
Exactly. Michigan, Northwestern, and Nebraska are the ones to really worry about. Lose any of those and we probably leave the conversation for good.

Except when they see it 7 times a year in their own bigger stadium. 110K strong.

Except when they see it 7 times a year in their own bigger stadium. 110K strong.
Their stadium is bigger but the atmosphere is boring. Regardless, I think this "night game" stuff is far overhyped. For every 2002 Nebraska or 2016 OSU there is a 2001 Miami or 2007 OSU where we just laid an egg.

Ever been to the Big House? Not even close.

I went once, for the 2002 game when the refs would not rule Tony Johnson's catch as a catch and JoePa thought it smart to take a knee instead of attempting a 55 yard FG to win.

The atmosphere was not that fun. It was very transactional.

Meh. CBS has a contract to televise SEC football games. Does it shock anyone that their contract might influence their bowl projections?

It's different when they're all cheering for you as opposed to against you. Of course, I wouldn't expect a Pitt fan to understand that because Pitt has no home crowd.

I don't see the Orange Bowl as any slight of PSU. People are getting all offended if we aren't predicted to be in the CFP. We are Top 10 in every poll or article which is fine with me. If we win the BT we will be in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT