ADVERTISEMENT

"Catholics vs Transfers." Prep school recruiting gone too far?

And your point is? That kids should remain in inferior schools because not everyone opportunity to escape them?
You're right when you're talking about academics, but when it comes to sports, it creates a very un-level playing field. Public schools should not have to compete against private schools who recruit. It's extremely unfair for the players, coaches and fans of those public schools.

You're right when you're talking about academics, but when it comes to sports, it creates a very un-level playing field. Public schools should not have to compete against private schools who recruit. It's extremely unfair for the players, coaches and fans of those public schools.

No disagreement there.

A relative who lives in Illinois mentioned that catholic/private schools are required to compete athletically UP one enrollment classification. (In the state of Illinois that is)

Private schools like to brag about their superiority when it comes to academics. I’m fine with that. In most cases, it is the truth.
Private schools like to whisper about their athletic superiority while recruiting public school athletes. (They will publicly deny that recruiting occurs. I’m not fine with that.)
Private schools will pull out their megaphones to deny superiority (and deny recruiting exists) in an effort to maintain an illusion of “equal” status at playoff time.
That’s pure BS and everyone knows it.
Apparently everything is A-OK if you have easy access to a confessional.

Private schools like to brag about their superiority when it comes to academics. I’m fine with that. In most cases, it is the truth.
Private schools like to whisper about their athletic superiority while recruiting public school athletes. (They will publicly deny that recruiting occurs. I’m not fine with that.)
Private schools will pull out their megaphones to deny superiority (and deny recruiting exists) in an effort to maintain an illusion of “equal” status at playoff time.
That’s pure BS and everyone knows it.
Apparently everything is A-OK if you have easy access to a confessional.
Including the politicians who are all too happy to allow the unfair athletic situation continue because of how it benefits private (and charter) school enrollments.

And your point is? That kids should remain in inferior schools because not everyone opportunity to escape them?

You’re right. How‘bout this, for every athlete that a private school gives a scholarship to they must also provide 10 scholarships to students in the district that athlete comes from that are performing poorly academically, or are at-risk behaviorally, and are from an underrepresented class or economically disadvantaged. WWJD

Reactions: tubmillpanther
You’re right. How‘bout this, for every athlete that a private school gives a scholarship to they must also provide 10 scholarships to students in the district that athlete comes from that are performing poorly academically, or are at-risk behaviorally, and are from an underrepresented class or economically disadvantaged. WWJD

Why? So they can devote resources from what they do well to remediate a larger social problem? I don't think so. And, BTW, a lot of parochial schools provide tuition subsidies, to the point that some students pay zero, to families of modest means.

Why? So they can devote resources from what they do well to remediate a larger social problem? I don't think so. And, BTW, a lot of parochial schools provide tuition subsidies, to the point that some students pay zero, to families of modest means.

My goodness, that’s not very Christian like of you.

Reactions: ralphster
Most private schools don’t recruit or give scholarships. It’s not like all private schools are football factories. A vast majority of private schools are small Christian schools that get totally stomped by almost every public school they play. The handful of football factories shouldn’t ruin it for all the small private schools just trying to be competitive.

Most private schools don’t recruit or give scholarships. It’s not like all private schools are football factories. A vast majority of private schools are small Christian schools that get totally stomped by almost every public school they play. The handful of football factories shouldn’t ruin it for all the small private schools just trying to be competitive.

I understand that which is why the ratio is there. You only give 1 athlete a scholarship, only 10 struggling students. You want to field a power house team, well then you obviously have the funds to support a good number of students that are struggling or are the “meek”. WWJD.

I mean unless the true prupose of private religious schools isn’t to help those in need, as is a major tennant of Christianity, but is instead a place for those with the means to help themselves separate from those without, and to win championships in sports of course.

Obviously you have never lived in Ohio. The Catholic schools because of their ability to recruit from a large territory and award “needs” based scholarships to great athletes have dominated the playoffs in just about every sport. When I was in high school the local Catholic high school was always trying to poach our best players. The Catholic schools also manipulated enrollment for male sports to achieve male enrollment numbers that meet the criteria needed to attain a lower division than a comparable sized public school with respect to total enrollment, basically gaming the system. There are no separate private school leagues in Ohio. The Ohio High School Athletic Association has tried to level the playing field for many years without success because the Catholic schools have objected to losing their decided advantage and taken their fight to the legal system, including I believe a currently ongoing suit which may end up in the Ohio Supreme Court.

Of course, some of the powerhouse public schools do some limited recruiting on their own luring top athletes to play at their school by urging them to move in with a relative who is located in their catchment area or finding their guardian/parent housing or a job that allows the athlete to go to a new school. This can happen within or outside the athlete’s district. Maurice Clarett was a good example of this. Played for Youngstown Wilson high school, then Austintown Fitch High School (suburb of Youngstown) and finally at Warren Harding in the close by city of Warren.

Was told by colleague who went to Don Bosch Prep (NJ) that the state has a private school class in their playoffs.
IMO, PA would be well served to do so.
I love St. Joseph’s Prep, but enough already. PS: the prep is a fine school academically.
While I am at it, it is a single sex school, which I am a fan of for both sexes.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and PS4814
Obviously you have never lived in Ohio. The Catholic schools because of their ability to recruit from a large territory and award “needs” based scholarships to great athletes have dominated the playoffs in just about every sport. When I was in high school the local Catholic high school was always trying to poach our best players. The Catholic schools also manipulated enrollment for male sports to achieve male enrollment numbers that meet the criteria needed to attain a lower division than a comparable sized public school with respect to total enrollment, basically gaming the system. There are no separate private school leagues in Ohio. The Ohio High School Athletic Association has tried to level the playing field for many years without success because the Catholic schools have objected to losing their decided advantage and taken their fight to the legal system, including I believe a currently ongoing suit which may end up in the Ohio Supreme Court.

Of course, some of the powerhouse public schools do some limited recruiting on their own luring top athletes to play at their school by urging them to move in with a relative who is located in their catchment area or finding their guardian/parent housing or a job that allows the athlete to go to a new school. This can happen within or outside the athlete’s district. Maurice Clarett was a good example of this. Played for Youngstown Wilson high school, then Austintown Fitch High School (suburb of Youngstown) and finally at Warren Harding in the close by city of Warren.
Nope, but I worked in Ohio and have lived in a few different states and I still stand by my statement...most private schools don’t recruit. Also, Catholic schools are not the only private schools....there are a ton of small Christian schools that get their asses beat against public schools. Also, many Catholic schools are small and don’t recruit either.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Was told by colleague who went to Don Bosch Prep (NJ) that the state has a private school class in their playoffs.
I love St. Joseph’s Prep, but enough already. PS: the prep is a fine school academically.
While I am at it, it is a single sex school, which I am a fan of for both sexes.

Only in football, which really doesn't crown a state-wide champion in any of the classifications. In all other sports, public and non-public, in various shapes and forms, come together to crown state champions.

... makes sense... can't invest funds in BOTH athletic scholarships AND teacher salaries...gotta decide your priorities!... :)

Reactions: PS4814
Wouldn't most schools be good if they didn't have low income,special education programs,troubled or mentally/physically handicap students?

Public schools recruit as well.
Similarly, Rutgers recruited Saquon Barkley but ultimately he chose Penn State.

...a school doesn't invest in scholarships...

...tell that to Penn State's AD... :)

Nope, but I worked in Ohio and have lived in a few different states and I still stand by my statement...most private schools don’t recruit. Also, Catholic schools are not the only private schools....there are a ton of small Christian schools that get their asses beat against public schools. Also, many Catholic schools are small and don’t recruit either.

Even the small ones recruit here in MD. MD also has public only playoffs, so these privates arent doing it to beat the publics, they are doing it against their own. We've lost kids to 'C" division (lowest) privates for basketball because they can go there and score 25 vs be a role player for me. I really dont know of ANY privates that dont recruit for some sport. Even tiny Mt Airy Chirstian recruits players. They have less than 200 kids total

What is good? If your talking about the quality of education,

The point is it isn't the parochial schools that are good. And it definitely isn't the teaching at parochial schools is superior. Far from it and in most cases they are far inferior. If that was the case, lets switch the teachers from Catholic schools with the bad public schools and see what happens.

Reactions: bison13
...tell that to Penn State's AD... :)

I don't have three years of available time and am not sure that would be sufficient to explain elementary transfer pricing to her. Cue sluggo to defend her as the greatest financial genius in college sports 3, 2..........

What is good? If your talking about the quality of education,

The point is it isn't the parochial schools that are good. And it definitely isn't the teaching at parochial schools is superior. Far from it and in most cases they are far inferior. If that was the case, lets switch the teachers from Catholic schools with the bad public schools and see what happens.

You're going off kilter here. I wasn't generalizing about the quality of education or teachers at all parochial schools, nor public ones for that matter.

You're going off kilter here. I wasn't generalizing about the quality of education or teachers at all parochial schools, nor public ones for that matter.

Ok my bad. I know and am close to many teachers at inferior public schools who work to better the lives of students who have the odds stacked against them. It is hard to hear people who denigrate them. The people that do need to walk a mile in their shoes. Sorry that I assumed you were doing that.

Reactions: KnightSlayer
Ok my bad. I know and am close to many teachers at inferior public schools who work to better the lives of students who have the odds stacked against them. It is hard to hear people who denigrate them. The people that do need to walk a mile in their shoes. Sorry that I assumed you were doing that.

Not at all. My wife teaches in a public school.

My point was why should a student who opts to transfer to what might be a better private school be deprived of the opportunity to do so simply because he plays a sport. Similarly, why should private schools who encourage such transfers be required to alter their educational mission because of it? For me, the discussion ends there. The larger issue confronting education are for another day and place.

Gonzaga dad here. It is a very fair point that public’s should not have to compete with this. (And they don’t generally in the wcac). The fact that Gonzaga’s pa equivalent (st joes prep) does in pa is baffling to me.

I have mixed feelings about this. To the bad, it’s the gateway to all the stuff that is wrong with hoops. And really bizarre stuff like the kris Jenkins situation in hoops. But more importantly it has the potential to deprive regular parish kids the opportunity to play varsity sports. To the good, it enhances the diversity of the schools and turns out some fine young men off the field. Gnz, for example, may be the only school in the country with a homeless men’s shelter in the basement and that creates unique service and social justice opportunities. I think the biggest part of the whining down here is the sheer magnitude of planks gift to St. John’s (and of course the ua affiliation) , which is otherwise a fine school. But make no mistake: all of these schools are plenty liquid.

Ultimately, in my case, I was actually comfortable with the gnz experience because (I) they fielded multiple teams (eg 3 hockey teams!) to make sure the opportunity to play was there and (ii) they took kids into niche sports like rugby and crew and turned them into scholarship (and even world class in the case of crew) athletes. I don’t think my son would have traded his experience for anything.

Side note: the tuition at these schools is well below that of the other privates in dc like gt prep, Landon, and the like. So it may also be that the sense of esprit de corps helps fundraising in ways that benefit all

Last edited:
Reactions: BowieLion

Amen!

My son went to the Prep in the midnineties. The football team was terrible. The basketball team just as bad. [My son was on the basketball team. ] Soccer team was outstanding.
There was recruitment in all sports including scholarships based on need.

Wow. Did not to see a comment of that nature from you, art.

This topic comes up a lot here and just a few thoughts. First, I won’t argue that private schools don’t recruit because they do. But so do public schools and if you don’t acknowledge that there is no point having a conversation. Do you think Micah Parsons and Andre White transferred to Harrisburg High for the good schools and safe neighborhoods? Of course not, they transferred to play for Coach Cal.
Second, people get way too worked up over football and basketball. Kids transfer for other sports too and nobody complains. My neighbor transferred from a suburban Harrisburg school to Trinity to play girls soccer. They won 3 state championships, she got a great education and now attends a good college. Should she have stayed in an inferior school district and played in a mediocre soccer program?
Last, you don’t hear these stories but two years ago McDevitt had a dlineman named Tim Kater who transferred to Steel-Hi because per his dad his family could no longer afford the tuition. He said that in the Patriot News. The kid was a D1 recruit and now plays at Army. There was no money for him to stay at Mcd even though the school obviously prioritize s athletics. So I take the whole private schools recruit thing with a huge grain of salt. Whether their objective is to transfer for sports or not, at most private school they will get a great education and go to college and that’s good for all of society. It’s also one less child the taxpayers are paying to educate.

Wow. Did not to see a comment of that nature from you, art.

What, that I don't believe that private organizations should be forced to re-allocate resources to pursue some misguied venture for which they are ill-equipped? Yeah, that helps everyone.

. I really dont know of ANY privates that dont recruit for some sport.
I went to a private school and it didn’t recruit. My nephew went to another private school and it didn’t recruit. As an adult, one of my best friends had two sons and a daughter that all went to private school and that school didn’t recruit and that was in a different state. One of my employees here (in yet another state) has a son that goes to a private school and that school doesn’t recruit. In fact, I’ve known numerous kids at numerous private schools over the years and I only know of one private school that actually recruited and that was Cathedral Prep in Erie. So I think outside of some of the football factory type private schools, the idea of private schools recruiting is overblown.

Reactions: Greg80
one Of the perceived issues is not so much the recruiting as it is the senior transfers

That's few and far between from my experience. My daughter graduated from a catholic school last yr and my son is a sophomore at the school this yr. My daughters boyfriend comes from a single parent family with very little money. When things got tough with their finances and they approached the school for help they told the parent to go to a public school...pretty callus no? And the kid is a very good athlete.

Reactions: PS4814
Here where I live, a student transferring from a public high school to a private high school has to sit out a year of playing a sport.
Wish that was the case here in MD. I've got kids that are on my JV team who transfer to play varsity at horrible private schools its so bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT