ADVERTISEMENT

Call against Michigan State may have been the worst of the year.

BUFFALO LION

Oct 4, 2001
To lose an undefeated season on an atrocious call like that would make me want to jump off a cliff. Oh well. Better them than us.

Title of thread should be "Call" against Michigan State. For some reason the C was cut off when I posted and I don't seem to be able to edit it. If anyone knows how to edit a thread title, let me know. I don't feel like trying to fix it right now. :)

Had the same thought ram2020. D'Antonio deserves better. Horrible call. They might just take care of osu in a couple weeks now... Dream on!

absolutely horrible. did anyone hear the MSU presser?

From what I saw, which was just a clip, Dantonio was all class. Just basically said "You all saw the play. Make your own judgment."

Seemed to take it a lot better than I would have. That was pure horse thievery.

To lose an undefeated season on an atrocious call like that would make me want to jump off a cliff. Oh well. Better them than us.
I did not see the game but watched the replay a number of times. It was a terrible call and I will say that if this would have ended OSU's unbeaten season the call would not have been made.

Reactions: nits74
The B1G officials are horrendous. Now MSU knows what Penn State has been facing every week for the last 22 years

Reactions: pkg5002
Dantonio took the blame for the loss...didn't blame refs
But damn that was an awful call. And they REVIEWED it!!!
The defender was looking back the whole time and barely touched Nebraska receiver. Way too many games lately decided by crappy officiating.

Reactions: broey and PSU77sh
So will the big ten follow the ACC lead and release a statement tomorrow on how that was a horrible call and the official who made the call and the replay official will be suspended? I'm not holding my breath. ;)

Reactions: bison13 and nits74
It should have never came down to that call. They blew their game winning interception the same a PSU did.

Now they can go ahead and beat OSU and wreck their season, too. What the hell? MSU already wrecked their own.:)

Not if the Big 10, NCAA, The United Nations, my neighborhood Home Owners Association, and The World Health Organization have anything to do with it.

Reactions: kybuckeye2
Not if the Big 10, NCAA, The United Nations, my neighborhood Home Owners Association, and The World Health Organization have anything to do with it.
Don't forget the Council on Foreign Relations, the Rockefellers, the Trilateral Commission, and the Bilderberg Group. They're all part of the conspiracy too, ya know.

I did not see the game but watched the replay a number of times. It was a terrible call and I will say that if this would have ended OSU's unbeaten season the call would not have been made.
Yep, no way. O$U first ever CFP chamos bu f* cheating. F* them and F* the B1G

Watched the end of the game on Tivo this AM (watched the game live into the 3rd quarter). Looked to me like the Neb receiver wasn't keeping track of where he was on the field. The MSU defender was looking back at the ball and "blocking out" the Neb receiver (also looking back at the ball, not where he was on the field) and was touching him, but not "pushing" him out. The only way I can see that call holding up is if the defender just touching the receiver is considered "pushing."

IMO O'Neill and crew made a poor call (not the first time) and probably did not want to overturn it given that the call favored Neb and was in Lincoln. Seems to me like a lot of the "poor calls" benefit the home team...don't know if they want to avoid on-camera booing or worse.

To some extent I fault MSU for letting Neb hang around, but from what I saw Neb was playing a tough game and giving it all they could. One could also fault MSU's "prevent" defense on that last Neb drive, but that made sense in that Neb needed a TD to take the lead, not just a FG. On the prior play, the MSU defender almost made the INT in the end zone...could've ended the game right there.

Hard to see "conspiracy theory" here in that it helps OSU tremendously if MSU is undefeated going into the OSU game - and if an undefeated MSU would defeat OSU, then the B1G would still have potentially two undefeated teams duking it out in the CC (assume Iowa wins out, that final game against Nebraska, also in Lincoln, now looms large - Hawkeyes beware if O'Neill's in town for Black Friday!).

Watched the end of the game on Tivo this AM (watched the game live into the 3rd quarter). Looked to me like the Neb receiver wasn't keeping track of where he was on the field. The MSU defender was looking back at the ball and "blocking out" the Neb receiver (also looking back at the ball, not where he was on the field) and was touching him, but not "pushing" him out. The only way I can see that call holding up is if the defender just touching the receiver is considered "pushing."

IMO O'Neill and crew made a poor call (not the first time) and probably did not want to overturn it given that the call favored Neb and was in Lincoln. Seems to me like a lot of the "poor calls" benefit the home team...don't know if they want to avoid on-camera booing or worse.

To some extent I fault MSU for letting Neb hang around, but from what I saw Neb was playing a tough game and giving it all they could. One could also fault MSU's "prevent" defense on that last Neb drive, but that made sense in that Neb needed a TD to take the lead, not just a FG. On the prior play, the MSU defender almost made the INT in the end zone...could've ended the game right there.

Hard to see "conspiracy theory" here in that it helps OSU tremendously if MSU is undefeated going into the OSU game - and if an undefeated MSU would defeat OSU, then the B1G would still have potentially two undefeated teams duking it out in the CC (assume Iowa wins out, that final game against Nebraska, also in Lincoln, now looms large - Hawkeyes beware if O'Neill's in town for Black Friday!).
Dude it's all about osu vs Michigan now. Watch the calls vs Sparty when they play the Buckeyes, then you'll know what I'm talking about...wink wink!

The defender was looking back the whole time and barely touched Nebraska receiver. Way too many games lately decided by crappy officiating.

Commentators said that the push isn't actually reviewable so they were probably just reviewing the rest of the TD, since I believe all scoring plays are reviewed by default.

Problem is that pushing part of the play is not review-able from what I understand, so not sure what they were reviewing, but it is the BIG so anything is possible with this conf.

Title of thread should be "Call" against Michigan State. For some reason the C was cut off when I posted and I don't seem to be able to edit it. If anyone knows how to edit a thread title, let me know. I don't feel like trying to fix it right now. :)

BUFFALO LION - There are two wrench icons, used to edit a lead post. One for the body and a different one for editing the subject line.

Use the wrench at the bottom of your text and select edit, to change the body of your post.

Touch the wrench that is ABOVE your text, but below the subject line, to edit the subject line.

Wrench > Edit

Hope this is helpful for you BUFFALO LION.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
This one is on the REPLAY OFFICIAL. The game official threw his hat, acknowledging the receiver had run out of bounds. He really did run out of bounds of his own volition. I thought it was great coverage, too. If anything, the receiver slightly shoved the defender to get to the ball.

And isn't is fascinating how the buckeye dorks constanrtly stick their unwanted 2 cents into these threads? Did they forget to call over their furtive friends from Ann Arbor to chime in? Or perhaps they are over on the Rutgers board gloating.

Stay on your own boards and bask in the glory of all things Meyer and Harbaugh. Pretty soon you might actually get to .500 in your Bowl records ... will take a few years, of course, but golly, you're almost there!

Meanwhile it was 7-0 in OSU game and minny qb throws a pick six and takes a helmet shot right to the chin as he throws. Ref throws flag for targeting. Replay guy reverses it, no penalty, 6 points for bucks. Friendly, friendly replay booth at the shoe.

MSU earned this loss. They never put Nebraska away. When Neb scored around the 2 min mark to make it 38 to 33, they dropped a very difficult interception.

They then recover the on-side kick around mid-field around the 1:40 mark and Neb with only 2 T0. They had a hold on the 3rd down play to stop the clock. Great punt to the 5 gave Neb ball with just over a minute to go.

They go prevent playing the upper class dbs and promptly allow three long passes ( including the td) for Neb to score. Neb goes for 2 to make it a three point game and they drop an int that would have gone the other way for two to win the game.

They get the ball to inside the Neb 40 with 7 sec to go and end up taking the rest of the time to throw the ball away out of bounds and never try a long field goal.

The call was close and could be argued either way. But MSU deserved this loss.

Shades of 2012 when Matt Lehman's touchdown was ruled a fumble

This is all for the better betterment of the conference. When OSU wins national titles we all win. You guys should be on your knees thanking God for the officials sorting out these egregious rules infractions by these upstart teams. They have a darn tough job. :eek:

big10_logo_detail.gif

Meanwhile it was 7-0 in OSU game and minny qb throws a pick six and takes a helmet shot right to the chin as he throws. Ref throws flag for targeting. Replay guy reverses it, no penalty, 6 points for bucks. Friendly, friendly replay booth at the shoe.
Do I or the officials have it wrong. Thought roughing part of targeting stood (can't review) but ejection part was the only reviewable part. Am I wrong? Help from our coaches or officials on the board.

Do I or the officials have it wrong. Thought roughing part of targeting stood (can't review) but ejection part was the only reviewable part. Am I wrong? Help from our coaches or officials on the board.
They got it right:

"When the Instant Replay Official reverses the disqualification: If the targeting foul is not in conjunction with another personal foul by the same player, the 15-yard penalty for targeting is not enforced. If the player commits another personal foul in conjunction with the targeting foul, the 15-yard penalty for that personal foul is enforced according to rule. (A. R. 9-1-4-VII-VIII)."

MSU has suffered this pain many times before. It is the big reason I always root for them when not playing PSU. It also shows what an azz Delany is, in trying to invent a rivalry between our programs. We are both treated like the little sisters of the poor, compared to the B1G TWO. Having it be the O'Neil crew administering the death sentence is just so arrogant and typical. Dantonio handled it just like Franklin did last year after the O$U robbery. Both knew it was useless to speak up and get severely fined by dirt bag Delany. That replay booth is the last line of treachery in the B1G arsenal of corruption.

Things could get very interesting the next few weeks:

Assuming Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State all win next weekend, we end up on 11/21 with the following:

11/21/15 (Conference Records and Division Records in Parenthesis)

Penn State (4-2, 3-1) vs. Michigan (5-1, 3-1)
OSU (5-0, 5-0) vs. Michigan State (5-1, 4-0)

11/28/15

Penn State vs. Michigan State
OSU vs. Michigan

Assuming we win out (humor me), and OSU loses out, would we get the championship slot in the East given the better divisional record? We would be 5-1, OSU would be 5-2. Or would they get in since they would have a better conference record? I assume they would be in over MSU and Michigan in a scenario where we beat both of them even if OSU loses out.

MSU and PSU both played too conservative in their last possession and gave the ball back with too much time on the clock. They both played not to lose and both NW and Neb took advantage of getting the ball back. The difference is MSU got hosed on a horrendous call. The refs took the game away from MSU. Both PSU and MSU let both NW and MSU move down the field and score with seconds on the clock.

The MSU DB's arm bar made contact with the WR and he left the field and immediately returned. There's nothing in the rule about "pushing" or "forcing" a player out of bounds, only "contact." Here's the rule with my emphasis on "contact":

Eligibility Lost by Going Out of Bounds
ARTICLE 4. No eligible offensive receiver who goes out of bounds and returns in bounds during a down shall touch a legal forward pass while in the field of play or end zones or while airborne until it has been touched by an opponent or official (A.R. 7-3-4-I, II and IV). [Exception: This does not apply to an originally eligible offensive player who immediately returns inbounds after going out of bounds due to contact by an opponent (A.R. 7-3-4-III)]. If he touches the pass before returning in bounds, it is an incomplete pass (Rule 7-3- 7) and not a foul for illegal touching.

Either way, the refs were going to take heat no matter what they called on that play.

BUFFALO LION - There are two wrench icons, used to edit a lead post. One for the body and a different one for editing the subject line.

Use the wrench at the bottom of your text and select edit, to change the body of your post.

Touch the wrench that is ABOVE your text, but below the subject line, to edit the subject line.

Wrench > Edit

Hope this is helpful for you BUFFALO LION.

Thanks TJ. Never had to edit a thread title under this new format and didn't feel like figuring out how last night while I was in the middle of watching football.

Appreciate it! Thanks!:)

Reactions: T J
The MSU DB's arm bar made contact with the WR and he left the field and immediately returned. There's nothing in the rule about "pushing" or "forcing" a player out of bounds, only "contact." Here's the rule with my emphasis on "contact":

Eligibility Lost by Going Out of Bounds
ARTICLE 4. No eligible offensive receiver who goes out of bounds and returns in bounds during a down shall touch a legal forward pass while in the field of play or end zones or while airborne until it has been touched by an opponent or official (A.R. 7-3-4-I, II and IV). [Exception: This does not apply to an originally eligible offensive player who immediately returns inbounds after going out of bounds due to contact by an opponent (A.R. 7-3-4-III)]. If he touches the pass before returning in bounds, it is an incomplete pass (Rule 7-3- 7) and not a foul for illegal touching.

Either way, the refs were going to take heat no matter what they called on that play.

You are absolutely right about the rule.

It was explained by the B1G that what they were reviewing was if the receiver was TOUCHED (contact), not if he went out of bounds. It was obvious he went out of bounds. If he was TOUCHED (made contact) IN ANY WAY, since it was originally a "judgment call", the play had to stand. It was non-reversible. If the replay showed that he WASN'T touched (made contact) IN ANY WAY, they would have reversed the play.

As per the rule you quoted, of course "touched" and "contact" mean the same thing. No one from the B1G has said it was good call or the right call per the "judgment" end of it, but have merely said technically, as per the rule you stated above, it was non-reversible.

Last edited:
Things could get very interesting the next few weeks:

Assuming Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State all win next weekend, we end up on 11/21 with the following:

11/21/15 (Conference Records and Division Records in Parenthesis)

Penn State (4-2, 3-1) vs. Michigan (5-1, 3-1)
OSU (5-0, 5-0) vs. Michigan State (5-1, 4-0)

11/28/15

Penn State vs. Michigan State
OSU vs. Michigan

Assuming we win out (humor me), and OSU loses out, would we get the championship slot in the East given the better divisional record? We would be 5-1, OSU would be 5-2. Or would they get in since they would have a better conference record? I assume they would be in over MSU and Michigan in a scenario where we beat both of them even if OSU loses out.

Here are the tiebreaker rules:

The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:
(a) If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
(b) If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other.
2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared within their division.
3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).
4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.
5. The highest ranked team in the first College Football Playoff poll following the completion of Big Ten regular season conference play shall be the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game, unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of each other in the College Football Playoff poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game.
6. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.
7. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT