ADVERTISEMENT

Cael Sanderson Complete match Record

Angry_Fish

Jul 16, 2017
I'm surprised I have not been able to find this. Hoping someone here can help.

I am looking for a complete list of Cael's matches from his RS Freshman year through his Senior year, including opponents and final score of each match.

Additionally, looking for the same info for his Freestyle career (Domestic and International). Not just World's/Olympics, but all events.

I swear I have seen all this before but cannot find any of it now.

Thanks.

I found it also some time ago, and decided to print it out, since I can never find things twice.
it was at usatoday.com/sports/college/stories/2002-03-20-cover-t ?
the last part of the address is cut off on my copy.
I tried going there to get you a link but was unsuccessful.
There must be other places to find it...maybe Iowa St website?

Actually that was just his collegiate record.

I found it also some time ago, and decided to print it out, since I can never find things twice.
it was at usatoday.com/sports/college/stories/2002-03-20-cover-t ?
the last part of the address is cut off on my copy.
I tried going there to get you a link but was unsuccessful.
There must be other places to find it...maybe Iowa St website?

Actually that was just his collegiate record.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/stories/2002-03-20-cover-table.htm

Doesn't include redshirt year, however. @Angry_Fish, you trollin' again? Yes, Cael lost during his redshirt year, and in Freestyle too. Our beloved coach isn't 100% perfect after all. I'm going to go cry now :cool:

Also--genuine question: Do you know why JO didn't compete at Schultz? Hope he's OK.

Without actually double checking, I counted eight wins that would count on today's records (matches against NJCAA guys). I've noticed the All-Star on there too, which wouldn't count either.

Another one of those things where nuanced rules making historical records difficult to balance against records of the past.

Also--genuine question: Do you know why JO didn't compete at Schultz? Hope he's OK.

JO explained on his Twitter feed that he had travel problems and intends to compete internationally in February.

He did not say whether that would be at 70 or 65. Interested to see that....He has stated repeatedly that he plans to be at 65 for the US Open. Curious to know when he gets there.

I assume he will be considered for the World Cup in March too.

As for Cael....I already knew about his RS loss, but don't know how many wins he had that year.

Reactions: nerfstate
Funny in looking through old articles about the ISU 1998-99 season I found this in a preview article in the studuent paper on November 12, 1998,

"Redshirt freshman Cael Sanderson will wrestle at 184 pounds, joining his older brothers Cole and Cody. Cael is a four-time state champion from Utah and was named the top prospect at his weight class coming out of high school."

Doesn't sound like they were expecting much from the RSFR.

I'm surprised I have not been able to find this. Hoping someone here can help.
I am looking for a complete list of Cael's matches from his RS Freshman year through his Senior year, including opponents and final score of each match.
Additionally, looking for the same info for his Freestyle career (Domestic and International). Not just World's/Olympics, but all events.
I swear I have seen all this before but cannot find any of it now. Thanks.

See if you can find his blog while you're at it.

I remember the 2001 Cliff Keen National Duals during which Cael broke the individual consecutive win record at Bryce Jordan. In the first round, D3 Montclair State was leading against Iowa State pretty far into the match. ISU wound up winning 29-18, but still a great showing by Montclair State.

This is a pretty thorough resource for FILA/UWW international events results and wrestlers' records therein (beyond just World/Olympic championships):

https://www.foeldeak.com/en/wrestlingdatabase.php

To find athletes you should click "Athlete" at the top then search last names only (e.g. "Sanderson"). You'll get 11 events for Cael, though not non-Fila/UWW events. For instance you won't find, his Titan Games ('03) or Yarygin ('04) records as they were run independently of UWW.

Something that did jump out to me though-- I hadn't actually realized that Cael was the U.S. Cadet World Team rep way back in '94 and '95 (or that we sent people to that tournament anywhere close to that long ago!) That would be his freshman and sophmore years of H.S. I believe, which seems really young. Regardless, he had good showings with 3rd/4th place finishes.

As for domestic freestyle events (as well a number of international events), it's not "nice and tidy" but you can go back and search a lot of event results back to 2000 on themat.com:

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/results

On that front, one question I've had-- does anyone know if Cael competed in freestyle after his redshirt freshman season ('99)? I believe he competed for World/Olympic team spots in every other year including Jr. Worlds in '98 and Olympics in '00 (he was the US Rep for University Worlds that year where he won gold per Foeldeak database), but I havent come across anything for '99 yet.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT