ADVERTISEMENT

Busiello

From the article:

At 9:44 on June 27th he posted a tweet stating “Verbally committed to The Penn State University!” While it garnered plenty of congratulations, there were certain some skeptics thinking that there’s no way he sticks with this commitment. Well, it seems that those that doubted it were wrong because the now four-time New York state champ is sticking to his guns.

"Since making my commitment I’ve gotten to know those guys really well,” Busiello said. "My visit went really well too and everything was great. I just feel like I fit in really well with those guys."
He’s a guy I really want to see take the mats for us. Nasty on top, very active.

Adam started putting out his desire to wrestle for PSU sometime after Cael took over. I had a conversation with him when the National tournament was held here in NY and he mentioned he wouldn’t mind wrestling for Ohio State (this was before the commitment) Sportsfan, he went to a camp at PSU over the summer 2 years ago where he got to interact with the guys on the team I’m guessing that’s where all that comes from. Flo’s already noted it but even if they hadn’t I’d still say I’d bet he’ll be enrolled at PSU in 2020

Reactions: fronk71
Good questions, I had the same ones, so looked it up again. Haven't heard about any relaxing of these rules, ala transfers and 6th years...so it appears it's still pretty rigid. After reading, I don't believe 1. is an option. 2. might be, but a full class load is required for 1 year. 3. appears not to be an option. Below is some of the NLI language, plus a link to Frequently Asked Questions.

The NLI is not required, but it is an agreement that commits a student-athlete for one year in return for a year of financial aid...as follows;

The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution.
-- A prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the institution full-time for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
-- The institution agrees to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
The penalty for not fulfilling the NLI agreement: A student-athlete has to serve one year in residence (full-time, two semesters or three quarters) at the next NLI member institution and lose one season of competition in all sports.

(FAQ) Is an NLI binding if I don't show up for preseason practice or fall enrollment?
Yes. If you do not show up for preseason practice or fall enrollment, the NLI remains binding.

(FAQ) Is an NLI binding if I don't complete the admission or initial eligibility process?
Yes. If you do not complete the admission or initial eligibility process through the NCAA Eligibility Center, the NLI remains binding. The NLI will be declared null and void if you have a written denial of admission or are declared a nonqualifier by the NCAA Eligibility Center.

http://www.nationalletter.org/frequentlyAskedQuestions/bindingAgreement.html

Thanks, Roar. I thought #1 was pretty common. I should add to it for clarity: "1. Hope, ask for, a release of the NLI by the orig coach or school."

Didn't Iowa State 'release' David Taylor from his NLI before he ever enrolled?

Thanks, Roar. I thought #1 was pretty common. I should add to it for clarity: "1. Hope, ask for, a release of the NLI by the orig coach or school."

Didn't Iowa State 'release' David Taylor from his NLI before he ever enrolled?
Yes, DT did sign an NLI with IAST. Can't sign two NL's, so not sure how that worked. A release is the only possible answer. Good catch...#1 is an option...not frequently done. Asking for help here...other than DT, can't think of another.

Last edited:
projecting the future growth of a high school kid is a rather inexact science, at best.

I believe Busiello is registered to wrestle 126 at Super 32.
That I understmd but I’m pretty sure kids are recruited with their projected college weights in mind for the school they are attending no? Especially with schools like Penn State and tOSU...they are not programs you just show up and we’ll find out later. Most of their spots are long taken in advance and kids are brought in specifically to replace.

That I understmd but I’m pretty sure kids are recruited with their projected college weights in mind for the school they are attending no? Especially with schools like Penn State and tOSU...they are not programs you just show up and we’ll find out later. Most of their spots are long taken in advance and kids are brought in specifically to replace.
Agree. It's not an exact science, for sure, but it's just as certain that coaches have to project the college weight class (or classes) for the kids they recruit.

Regarding Busiello, IIRC, something I read projected him at 133/141 after a redshirt year, an maybe getting up to 149 for his last couple seasons. IDK, but that seems a reasonable guess.

Except there are lots of guys who would've been recruited regardless of specific lineup need. I'm guessing Cael and Ryan didn't really care about projected weights for DT, Zain, Nolf, Hall, Snyder, Myles Martin, etc.

Likewise, lots of guys at both schools who moved up more than 1 weight while in college. David Taylor, Cenzo, Q, Bo, Shak, Heflin, Mark Martin, etc.

Plus other guys who moved around depending on where they were most needed: Conaway, Hayes, etc.

I suspect certain guys are recruited for a spot, but other than 125 and HWT lots of guys are recruited for their talent,and perhaps sold on a lineup position.

But he's seen dinosaurs coexisting with man.

gettyimages-barney-1280x720.jpg
He has seen Elvis too! @diggerpup @Chickenman Testa @TomMcAndrew @amalone @Cali_Nittany

sacred_heart_of_elvis.jpeg

Except there are lots of guys who would've been recruited regardless of specific lineup need. I'm guessing Cael and Ryan didn't really care about projected weights for DT, Zain, Nolf, Hall, Snyder, Myles Martin, etc.

Likewise, lots of guys at both schools who moved up more than 1 weight while in college. David Taylor, Cenzo, Q, Bo, Shak, Heflin, Mark Martin, etc.

Plus other guys who moved around depending on where they were most needed: Conaway, Hayes, etc.

I suspect certain guys are recruited for a spot, but other than 125 and HWT lots of guys are recruited for their talent,and perhaps sold on a lineup position.
Had a chance to talk about this with all the coaches over the past 9 years. It's a bit of everything that's been mentioned.

Recruit for need, but don't pass on the best of the best. In short, there is a plan. Create a program where kids want to come, and the rest takes care of itself. A by-product is that some kids recruit Penn State, vs the other way around, and many will take less $$'s to wrestle in the PSU room. Those by-products are no different than other successful sport's programs.

Managing the scholarship dollars, when there's little academic aid available is crucial, and will always be a factor in what is offered.

Since this is a thread about Busiello, and after looking at my model for the next 5 years, I wonder what the chances of delayed enrollment is.

Reactions: Novakht
Saves us from enduring a ton of stoppage time. Beast on top though and that usually translates well. Good luck to him
Agree. If he doesn't get Arizona 'd, I think he's a real solid guy. I don't think he's winning any NCs, but I'd guess he's an AA more than once.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
Loved the kid and I liked his style of wrestling but once again proves a verbal is worth about as much as a cup of coffee. His dream was to come to PSU for years only to... No matter the kid I view verbals as little more than worthless. They are after all only kids, and at that age it's pretty hard to make up your mind especially at 15.

His body is growing so fast I think he might have trouble against elite college guys until he can put on 10 lbs of muscle. I'm not sure when and where he would break into our lineup, but 133 would be the minimum, probably higher..

So what changed?:
1) the closer it got to next fall his family finally realized yikes - $30k+ per year for out of state and he was only going to get a fractional scholy. I'm sure he can get a full ride elsewhere maybe so at ASU.
2) the depth chart at multiple weights just doesn't look too friendly .... for a while...
3) Redshirts = one more year of it of state tuition.
4) Maybe just maybe he wasn't going to be good enough. His value p4p 2 and projections 2 years ago were definitely higher.

In any case he is high pace, aggressive, a risk taker and creative. At one time I saw a little bit of Nolf in him. I will enjoy watching him and wonder what could have been, but I wish him well.

Kids probably shouldn't even verbal but I only have problems when they break a written or transfer as a starter. It's all good on this one Good luck Adam we'll miss you!

For all we knew Cael might have whispered in his ear, once the 2020 class commitments play out it might make even more sense - even ignoring the obvious Teas/RBY challenge.

He's not exactly ducking a challenge in Tempe -- 3 national recruits at 133/141 this year with none of them looking like they could go 149. And Courtney (125) and Teemer (149) being freshmen.

The early verbal and the old wornout PSU singlet tells me Adam dreamed of coming to Penn State. Whatever his reason is for switching, I'm sorry to see him go. Best of luck, I'll be rooting for him.

Last edited:
I wish him the best as well. That said......I do have a feeling that after Super 32 and that wrestle back performance ( zero offensive points )......someone may have said...….hey you see who we have and we are going after more guys in your weight class ….so....you are welcome to still come here....but........ Remember.....Howard scheduled a visit before Adam decommitted so I think the writing was on the wall in bright neon. Still wish him the best.

Reactions: Wrestler2u
wish we could hear an honest explanation. $$?

I obviously don't know if it is $$, but my daughter went to ASU, my son to PSU, and as many have mentioned, PSU isn't cheap, even in state, and doesn't give out much money.

My daughter "recruited" my son to ASU and even out of state he could have gone there for a little more than half of what PSU cost IN state, let alone out of state, so it could be a factor. Fwiw

Seduced and abandoned. It's helpful to keep in mind the development of the teenager's brain and how impulsivity is encouraged while judgment is impaired. Not saying this is the explanation for Busiello's actions, but the brain's of college wrestlers (like everyone else) are still are work-in-progress until they are 25 or 26.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT