ADVERTISEMENT

Buried my dad this morning

PennStateNate

Feb 2, 2014
he was older (76) and unhealthy. Was in ICU for 18 days fighting sepsis. We thought we lost him once as his blood pressure dropped to 60/30 and he was put on a respirator, but he fought back and was improving, but last Thursday a day before he was scheduled to start rehab he had a heart attack and died at 11:33 PM. Irony was he texted me 3 hours before his problems started that night telling me stay home and not to come see him. My mom was at the hospital all day and called it before going to bed to check in on him. Nurse was even telling her how good he was doing that night when while on the phone all he lights went off. She told us to rush in. They tried to save him to 45 mins.

Saddest day of my life.

he was older (76) and unhealthy. Was in ICU for 18 days fighting sepsis. We thought we lost him once as his blood pressure dropped to 60/30 and he was put on a respirator, but he fought back and was improving, but last Thursday a day before he was scheduled to start rehab he had a heart attack and died at 11:33 PM. Irony was he texted me 3 hours before his problems started that night telling me stay home and not to come see him. My mom was at the hospital all day and called it before going to bed to check in on him. Nurse was even telling her how good he was doing that night when while on the phone all he lights went off. She told us to rush in. They tried to save him to 45 mins.

Saddest day of my life.
So sorry to hear that. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Saddest day of my life.

Nate. Very, very sorry to hear about your loss. You and your family are in my prayers. Both of my parents are at that age, and I fear the day that happens. Again, you and your family are in my thought sand prayers now - CentexLion

Been there done that. Thing with older heart patients, they usually rally before the end.

Condolences.

Some things we never really get past, but the good memories do sustain us and I pray it will be the same for you. My condolences and prayers to you and your family.

Reactions: LionJim
Sorry for you loss Nate. It sounds like your Dad and you were quite close. I bet you have some great memories! Now is a great time to reflect and remember them.

Nate: My sincere condolences to you and your family. I lost my Dad just over a year ago at age 86 and I owe everything I am to him and my Mom. It, too, was the saddest day of my life, I unfortunately know exactly how you feel this afternoon. You are in my prayers.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
You will discover that your dad will never leave you and you will find yourself, more and more, recognizing him in the man you have become and wish to be. There is no greater tribute you can offer your dad other than to live your life in a way which would make him proud. In my own life, whatever mistakes I've made, I can say to myself, "I made my dad proud." When I got my doctorate, I sent him a postcard, "More your honor than mine," the truest sentence I've said in my life.

Last edited:

Saddest day of my life.
Sorry to hear this, Nate. We're never quite the same after losing parents. We soldier on, but it's certainly with a different perspective. Take care.

Saddest day of my life.
Went to visit my Mom's grave in Cambria County PA on Mother's Day. She died 25 years ago, before I was married, before my kids were born. It felt good to stand there and tell her that despite a lot of anguish and hard times, we are all okay 25 years later. It is no doubt the saddest day of your life, but it gets easier and there are many good things to remember. Sorry for your loss. It gets better from here.

Very sorry to hear, Nate. My Dad passed two years ago tomorrow. He was at home and I was with him when he died, as we knew the end was near for him. I really miss him, but it does get better as the time goes by. The good memories will sustain you.

Sorry to hear. I know its tough and how sad you are. I like to think of it as a celebration of life. Ostensibly, he gave you and everyone else the opportunity to live and enjoy life, knowing nobody gets out of here alive. He's probably in a better place today. Taking out the (understandable) sadness, it is a celebration of the miracle that he gave to you and your family.

Thoughts and prayers.

My deepest sympathy Nate to you and your family. Thoughts and prayers go out your way.

Dad's are special, no question about it. Buried mine nine years ago. Still miss him. Sorry for your loss.

Although I am no longer a religious man, I often think about INSIDE THE ACTORS STUDIO when the host, James Lipton, finishes the interview by asking his guest this one final question: "If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?"

My response always has been, "Michael...welcome (as God shakes my hand). You're just in time. Your father is waiting for you. He's inside getting ready to watch the kickoff between Penn State and Notre Dame. (My father grew up a Notre Dame fan. He only liked Penn State b/c of me and Joe Paterno.) You want a beer?"

As much as I would like to believe that, it's simply not going to happen. So, instead, I think of all the pleasant times together. I miss you pop.

May you, too, find peace, brother.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=12665550&PIpi=47751824

Reactions: PSU_Nut and LionJim

Saddest day of my life.

Very sorry to hear that Nate. You know you can always come here for support or to just vent. After the past 3 years everyone on this board seems like family (with an occasional crazy cousin). ;)

Saddest day of my life.
As one your 'board' family, I am so sorry. I imagine that you, and family, getting through this loss with the support of majestic, recurring memories of him. All the best.

Sorry for your loss. I' ex been thru it with both my parents - it's tough. Hang in there. In our thoughts and prayers.

Saddest day of my life.

Sorry to hear that Nate. I've gone through the same thing and I know how much it hurts.

Condolences from our house. My folks passed a week apart in 2011 (thankfully my mom did not live to see the events of November--it would have broken her heart--she loved PennState so.)

Sorry about your loss. Treasure the moments you had together and the bond that will never be broken

Sincerest condolences. May the memory of your father be a blessing.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. May your dad rest in peace.

Been there. Sorry for your loss. Stay strong. I'm sure he is proud of his son and wants the very best for him. Pay it forward.

My sincere condolences, Nate. Great dads are special people. I'm sure even now he'll be happiest when you're happiest, so I hope you find comfort with time.

Saddest day of my life.
I'm so sorry. Sending prayers.

Very sorry for your loss. When your dad is your hero like mine was to me it is more painful than I can put into words. Reflect on him every day and try to live your life in a way that honors him. I hope you will be reunited some day

Saddest day of my life.
God Bless Nate

Sorry for your loss. When I lost my father, I was communicating with an older and very wealthy friend about the pain of losing my dad. I mentioned at that time to my friend......"you know how I feel because you have lost a parent." My friend informed me that there was no love between he and his parents and so he was not familiar with how I felt. My friend had lost his father at the age of ten and quit living with his mother at the age of 12. He then lived with priests and helped them take care of a grave yard, dig graves etc. By the age of 16 my friend told me he would drink wine with the priests. Both of his parents were alcoholics and he essentially grew up without parents. My friend went on to own numerous companies and accumulate more wealth than he could ever use. When I spoke of losing my father, my friend said to me that he was very jealous of me to my surprise. He pointed out that the pain I felt was because of how much I loved my father. He was jealous of me because he would never feel that emotion. My friend could buy anything he wanted. Sadly, he would never know anything about the love of a true family.
Yes it is the worst day of your life Nate. However, you have many years of memories that you can celebrate. Keep the Faith.

Reactions: toddbrewster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT