ADVERTISEMENT

Football Bruce Feldman names James Franklin a top five coach in CFB

top 25? Certainly. But there is a huge drop off from the top five to the 25th.

0ad52b8b-2c99-4eb9-8908-612d435c4cd5_text.gif

Reactions: pittpsu
Basis his awesome record against elite teams!!!! What a joke. Maybe he makes the top 100!!

4-14. Nothing else need be discussed. 4-14 in the only games that matter. He can be the greatest person to ever have stepped unto the PSU University Park campus, the best representative of PSU since the university’s founding, and an all-around fabulous role model and humanitarian. 4-14. That disqualifies him from any high ranking as a football coach.

I don’t question the man’s integrity, character, or effort - all exemplary. 4-14 is how he ranks as a football coach for PSU. A Coach is what his record says he is - Franklin’s says 4-14, and that is downright awful.

Reactions: blair10
He has made great progress the last couple years. A lot of that is due to Yurcich, I think. The offense is much more prepared and organized. Guys actually line up correctly without the QB having to move them around. We no longer burn two time outs in each half with ten or more minutes left to play. No delay of game penalties. We get plays in quicker, make substitutions quicker.

The whole team seems improved in those aspects. Much of that is because he hired better assistants. Some of the problem was Covid and the severe practice restrictions. But those problems were evident before Covid struck.

I wouldn’t place him in the top ten yet but he is certainly trending up. If the team meets expectations the next three or fours years then he will have earned such consideration.

He has made great progress the last couple years. A lot of that is due to Yurcich, I think. The offense is much more prepared and organized. Guys actually line up correctly without the QB having to move them around. We no longer burn two time outs in each half with ten or more minutes left to play. No delay of game penalties. We get plays in quicker, make substitutions quicker.

The whole team seems improved in those aspects. Much of that is because he hired better assistants. Some of the problem was Covid and the severe practice restrictions. But those problems were evident before Covid struck.

I wouldn’t place him in the top ten yet but he is certainly trending up. If the team meets expectations the next three or fours years then he will have earned such consideration.
agreed...we also have to understand that the first several years of CJF's HC tenure were materially affected by the JS scandal. After the first handful of years, the program has been challenged with moving up the food chain and a lot of that has been indirectly related to JS. When you think about recruiting a 17 year old, their line of sight is only about four years (since they were 13). What they've seen is a program that has struggled against the perennial blue blood programs in the B1G and SEC.

4-14. Nothing else need be discussed. 4-14 in the only games that matter. He can be the greatest person to ever have stepped unto the PSU University Park campus, the best representative of PSU since the university’s founding, and an all-around fabulous role model and humanitarian. 4-14. That disqualifies him from any high ranking as a football coach.

I don’t question the man’s integrity, character, or effort - all exemplary. 4-14 is how he ranks as a football coach for PSU. A Coach is what his record says he is - Franklin’s says 4-14, and that is downright awful.
Joe Paterno was 2-9 vs. Lloyd Carr, 3-6 vs. Jim Tressel, and 3-8 vs. Kirk Ferentz. That's 8-23 versus those three conference coaches. Yeah, he was dog shit alright right Shore?

Basis his awesome record against elite teams!!!! What a joke. Maybe he makes the top 100!!

The league was 19-118 vs the top 10.

Who has a good record vs elite teams? Even elite teams only have an average record of .500 vs each other. Name the coaches with better records and less talent vs elite teams! After Saban and Dabo who both have better talent the list gets real thin.

Last edited:
Reactions: john4psu
@ShoreLion85

That is 4-14 vs teams with more talent. The league was only 19-118 vs top 10 teams. The top 10 only have a composite record of .500 vs the top 10.

Give us a list of coaches with a winning record vs the top10 who are interested in the PSU job!!!! Saban and DAbo are not coming here. They also had more talent.

Like YOU said, "A Coach is what his record says he is...." Franklin's record was 11-2 last year. Did you only count Joes wins vs top 10 teams? What is 409 minus all the wins vs non top ten teams?

This is where the JoeBots disappear and dont reply.

Disagree all you want, and I’m not a fan of everything he does , he has faults like everyone else not named Saban, but he’s an outstanding representative of the university and does a pretty good job and Penn State is lucky to have him.
As an unabashed JoeBot......I have to say James has done an excellent job maintaining much of the foundation that Joe worked hard to build. If winning at all cost is the goal, the NFL is your game.
No one is perfect...no doctor, dentist, engineer, or professor. But Coach Franklin isn't being outworked by anyone.

@ShoreLion85

That is 4-14 vs teams with more talent. The league was only 19-118 vs top 10 teams. The top 10 only have a composite record of .500 vs the top 10.

Give us a list of coaches with a winning record vs the top10 who are interested in the PSU job!!!! Saban and DAbo are not coming here. They also had more talent.

Like YOU said, "A Coach is what his record says he is...." Franklin's record was 11-2 last year. Did you only count Joes wins vs top 10 teams? What is 409 minus all the wins vs non top ten teams?

This is where the JoeBots disappear and dont reply.
You've got a problem if you think everyone who loved and respected Joe, doesn't support James.
Don't lump everyone together.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper

Fans have access to the portal as well. 9 more years!

Reactions: step.eng69

Newsflash: all games matter.

Reactions: marshall23
Franklin is really a top 50 coach that’s it, not sure what these people see when he tries to coach

Give us a list of coaches with good records vs elite teams. The top TEN teams only have a .500 record vs each other. Total record vs elite teams last year was 19-118

I will give you a hand start with Saban and Dabo. They both have more talent and neither of them are coming here.

Last edited:
You've got a problem if you think everyone who loved and respected Joe, doesn't support James.
Don't lump everyone together.
No. I did not say everyone and you are not a Joebot. I consider the Joebots the segment of Paterno fans who want everyone to fail other than Joe.

The Joebots are the clowns who are posting on here who we have not heard from since the Michigan game. You did not hear a peep out of them after the Rose Bowl.

Franklin isn't a top five head coach in the Big Ten much less nationally. He is an above average to good coach but not a great one.

How many of those top 50 coaches have won three major bowl games in the last seven years? I await your reply.
They lost to power house teams Kentucky and Arkansas and they beat power houses Memphis, and Utah.

How many playoff games have they won. Oops. How many have they even played in???? None. That is Franklin’s legacy.

Only PSU “fans” would get mad and argue about their coach being named as a top 5 coach. Ridiculous.
That's not true--many would. When you watch a coach every game you're often going to be more critical.

Anything like this helps with recruiting but I don't believe he's a top 5 coach--do you?

They lost to power house teams Kentucky and Arkansas and they beat power houses Memphis, and Utah.
Utah was a top 10 team and PAC-12 Conference champion. Why bother with facts that are just minor details that don't suit your narrative?

Reactions: marshall23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT