ADVERTISEMENT

Football Bruce Feldman names James Franklin a top five coach in CFB

Franklin isn't a top five head coach in the Big Ten much less nationally. He is an above average to good coach but not a great one.
Says the guy who thought HACK was one of the best qbs in the country even though he was near the bottom of the B10 QBs and that was with O'Brien as coach.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Joe Paterno was 2-9 vs. Lloyd Carr, 3-6 vs. Jim Tressel, and 3-8 vs. Kirk Ferentz. That's 8-23 versus those three conference coaches. Yeah, he was dog shit alright right Shore?
No one suggests Paterno was a top coach from somewhere around 99 on. Let's swag it to say, he was for about the first 1/3 of his time in the B2G.

Disagree all you want, and I’m not a fan of everything he does , he has faults like everyone else not named Saban, but he’s an outstanding representative of the university and does a pretty good job and Penn State is lucky to have him.
JF is excellent in all aspects of being a CFB coach, except for actual coaching. You can pretty much align PSUs up and down years under JF with the quality of coordinators.
Before anyone says that this is true for every team, then we need to agree that saban has pretty much never made a poor hire(unless you think the talent at Bama is so good it hides poor coaching)

PSU seemed well coached in '22. QB was older than half the QBs starting in the NFL. It will be interesting to see how Mike Y does with a new, but talented QB and it will be even more interesting to see how PSU does after Mike Y departs for a HC gig.

Last edited:
JF is excellent in all aspects of being a CFB coach, except for actual coaching. You can pretty much align PSUs up and down years under JF with the quality of coordinators.
Before anyone says that this is true for every team, then we need to agree that saban has pretty much never made a poor hire(guess you think the talent at Bama is so good it hides poor coaching)

PSU seemed well coached in '22. QB was older than half the QBs starting in the NFL. It will be interesting to see how Mike Y does with a new, but talented QB and it will be even more interesting to see how PSU does after Mike Y departs for a HC gig.
Agree with all of this.

Yes I do.
As do those who have opinions that matter. Empirical evidence exists in the form of contract extensions.....the last one that has every penny guaranteed for 10 years. Should PSU win 11 again, I think it's likely he'll get another bump after this season.

Before anyone says that this is true for every team, then we need to agree that saban has pretty much never made a poor hire(unless you think the talent at Bama is so good it hides poor coaching)

Wasn't Y the OC in 21?
Funny how loses are Franklin's and wins are staff. LOL

They lost to power house teams Kentucky and Arkansas and they beat power houses Memphis, and Utah.

Franklin isn't a top five head coach in the Big Ten much less nationally. He is an above average to good coach but not a great one.

4-14. Nothing else need be discussed. 4-14 in the only games that matter. He can be the greatest person to ever have stepped unto the PSU University Park campus, the best representative of PSU since the university’s founding, and an all-around fabulous role model and humanitarian. 4-14. That disqualifies him from any high ranking as a football coach.

I don’t question the man’s integrity, character, or effort - all exemplary. 4-14 is how he ranks as a football coach for PSU. A Coach is what his record says he is - Franklin’s says 4-14, and that is downright awful.

Give us your top 5!

As soon as Joe was gone the "Success With Honor" promoters all ignored the honor BS and now all they care about is the success.

Who was the OC in 2021( down year)?
Dear God voltz...do you mean 2021, when PSU was on it's way to 6-0 until Clifford got hurt during Iowa and lost b/c QB2 had zero prior reps and couldn't even facilitate a clean snap....and then Clifford played the 2nd half of the season with severe rib pain?
Do you mean 2021, in which PSU had zero dynamic RBs?
Is that the season you are trying to hold up to disprove my assertion?

You guys are frankly, ridiculous. I like Franklin. He has all the soft skills necessary to be successful as a CFB HC (all the skills that O'Brien lacks BTW)...but pretending that JF moves the needle as an actual FB coach is not supported by any evidence.

Players matter, of course, but the question is whether coaching makes them better. During the decade of JF, we've seen a wide swing in the execution of fundamentals and game management. JF has been THE consistent piece. Coordinators have shuffled and you can find plenty of critique on this baord of Rahne, Shoop, etc and you can lots of praise for JoMo, etc. There are lots of variables, but it seems pretty obvious that Mike Y and Manny D moved the needle on football execution and game management this year.

Dear God voltz...do you mean 2021, when PSU was on it's way to 6-0 until Clifford got hurt during Iowa and lost b/c QB2 had zero prior reps and couldn't even facilitate a clean snap....and then Clifford played the 2nd half of the season with severe rib pain?

You guys are frankly, ridiculous. I like Franklin. He has all the soft skills necessary to be successful as a CFB HC (all the skills that O'Brien lacks BTW)...but pretending that JF moves the needle as an actual FB coach is not supported by any evidence.

Players matter, of course, but the question is whether coaching makes them better. During the decade of JF, we've seen a wide swing in the execution of fundamentals and game management. JF has been THE consistent piece. Coordinators have shuffled and you can find plenty of critique on this baord of Rahne, Shoop, etc and you can lots of praise for JoMo, etc. There are lots of variables, but it seems pretty obvious that Mike Y and Manny D moved the needle on football execution and game management this year.

Right. The year we beat Ball State, struggled with Villanova, and had no back up qb. Who was the OC?

He’s moved the needle quite a bit and he did so at Vandy as well. That doesn’t happen by accident.

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT