ADVERTISEMENT

Brooks vs DT @ 86

Well, I lied - just measured this morning at a doctor appt and I was 5’10-3/4”.
Decides Terrence Howard GIF

As impressive as Brooks is - and he's probably my favorite current PSU wrestler - I don't think he touches DT. DT just seems like he's on another level as long as he's healthy. Can't wait to see the action though!!
Last year's version gave him a respectable match. He already touched him IMO. This year's version of Aaron jumped a level. DT is the inarguable and deserved favorite, but noone should be shocked if the untouchable gets touched this time around.

He is still in his physical prime but he has already achieved his main goals and reached the pinnacle of the sport. He is a business man, has a wife, kids, has at least a glimpse of his future coaching. He already had a self admitted lapse in motivation and lost to Yaz, several years back, and has an extremely light competitive schedule.

Whenever it happens for him most pundits will have ignored the warning signs. Could it be this go around? If so, only because Brooks is in the wings.

Last edited:
This may be the year of:

AB beats DT
Nolf beats Dake
Larry beats the stomach

Edit: Larry beat the stomach in 1979 😂

Last year's version gave him a respectable match. He already touched him IMO. This year's version of Aaron jumped a level. DT is the inarguable and deserved favorite, but noone should be shocked if the untouchable gets touched this time around.

He is still in his physical prime but he has already achieved his main goals and reached the pinnacle of the sport. He is a business man, has a wife, kids, has at least a glimpse of his future coaching. He already had a self admitted lapse in motivation and lost to Yaz, several years back, and has an extremely light competitive schedule.

Whenever it happens for him most pundits will have ignored the warning signs. Could it be this go around? If so, only because Brooks is in the wings.
I'm hoping that future coaching deal brings him west about 4 states (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa). :)

I am sure that the chat went to another forum chat, but wondering how you all as Penn State fans feel about Brooks beating Taylor? Does DT or maybe even Brooks bump to 97 or do they both stay at 86?

I am sure that the chat went to another forum chat, but wondering how you all as Penn State fans feel about Brooks beating Taylor? Does DT or maybe even Brooks bump to 97 or do they both stay at 86?
I'm ok with it, although my kid is heartbroken. I think Brooks is very good and DT is busy with life. The torch was passed. DT and Ruth (w/Q enrolled) started the latest fandom from m y standpoint. It was right when I was introducing my kids to the 'next level' of the sport

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Sounds like AB's cut to 86 was biblical (though he would probably prefer I use a different metaphor). Wouldn't be surprised if he is at 92kg for 3 years, then back to 86 to qualify the weight again.

I gotta say guys--I had no idea how emotionally exhausting OTT was going to be. It's one thing watching from home, or even sitting in the stands. But having press credentials, and running into families and competitors in the back hallways all weekend just trying to make sense of all of their sacrifice/effort in the face of falling short--it was TOUGH. Add in Kyle Dake's story, Seeing Adeline with her kids, J'den & Mark's farewell, and even the thrill for the winners, and dang, I feel spent today. Can't imagine what it's like for these families/coaches/teams.

Last edited:
I'm feel like nerfstate that Brooks might want to go to 92kg on non Olympic years to avoid the big cut. If he does that it would allow DT to go 86kg at this year's worlds.

Sounds like AB's cut to 86 was biblical (though he would probably prefer I use a different metaphor). Wouldn't be surprised if he is at 92kg for 3 years, then back to 86 to qualify the weight again.

I gotta say guys--I had no idea how emotionally exhausting OTT was going to be. It's one thing watching from home, or even sitting in the stands. But having press credentials, and running into families and competitors in the back hallways all weekend just trying to make sense of all of their sacrifice/effort in the face of falling short--it was TOUGH. Add in Kyle Dake's story, Seeing Adeline with her kids, J'den & Mark's farewell, and even the thrill for the winners, and dang, I feel spent today. Can't imagine what it's like for these families/coaches/teams.
Not a doubt in mine that it did drain you emotionally, nor do I doubt for a second you would not trade your weekend experience for just about anything. First round I sat where my original tickets put me (upstairs), after that I got two online in the second row. I certainly did not witness everything you did, but J'Den struggling to leave the mat right before removing his shoes, Mark crying as he removed his, Thomas as he left, Zain's smile, Nick's focused stare, Dake's sadden, yet broad smile, David's stare, AB's respectful smile and many more. It was an absolute wonderful weekend.

I'm feel like nerfstate that Brooks might want to go to 92kg on non Olympic years to avoid the big cut. If he does that it would allow DT to go 86kg at this year's worlds.
I wouldn't be shocked if Brooks went to 92 for 2025-2027 and then went to 97 in 2028. Dude has gotten HUGE over the last year.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
I wouldn't be shocked if Brooks went to 92 for 2025-2027 and then went to 97 in 2028. Dude has gotten HUGE over the last year.
I played in the NLWC's Toftrees tournament and the night before while watching practice AB was drilling with Snyder. AB looked every bit as big as Kyle. The next day on 10 tee I got the chance to talk to AB and I ask about his size. I ask how big was he. I am 6 foot and 225 and he looked pretty big himself. I did not get a definitive answer, but he said not as heavy as you but not much smaller either. AB is a large, muscular man.

Reactions: 1AA and Ski
I played in the NLWC's Toftrees tournament and the night before while watching practice AB was drilling with Snyder. AB looked every bit as big as Kyle. The next day on 10 tee I got the chance to talk to AB and I ask about his size. I ask how big was he. I am 6 foot and 225 and he looked pretty big himself. I did not get a definitive answer, but he said not as heavy as you but not much smaller either. AB is a large, muscular man.
After seeing him wrestle 197 all year he looked really really small to me. Could see it in his traps and chest.
Don’t think he’s a permanent 86 kg guy.

In my mind, AB over DT is as perfect a “changing of the guard” scenario as we could hope for.

Well, grizzlies are exiting dens, wolves are stripping winter carcasses, and I’m strangely drawn to look for them (this time solo) at NatParks in Montana and Wyoming. Hope to have a new avatar when I get back to catching up on all Lion & Istanbul scoop. All still in the shadow of an epic NCAA tourney and OTT. What a great Spring to be a Lion fan!

Twelve pounds? Ouch! And it really was poor scheduling by USA Wrestling to have those matches so late and with such a quick turnaround for weigh-ins.
There were wrestler parents behind me complaining about the schedule Friday night and saying many would drop out of consis because of not being able to make weight. They said there were no facilities open late to help them make weight.

I don't believe we saw a changing of the guard. I think AB will move up to 92 for worlds next year and DT will slot back in at 86, and win his final world championship and leave his shoes on the mat THEN. Oh by the way? I think AB wins gold in Paris, then wins gold at 92 in world's. Of course I can be wrong about all of this 😂

Reactions: creamery freak
There were wrestler parents behind me complaining about the schedule Friday night and saying many would drop out of consis because of not being able to make weight. They said there were no facilities open late to help them make weight.
I was told the opposite by some parents. They were very complimentary about what was available for their wrestlers.

• Wow
Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
I was told the opposite by some parents. They were very complimentary about what was available for their wrestlers.
This was specifically what was open at 11 pm. Their son was a greco guy that made weight. At about 10 pm he was a third of a kilo over, he was going to eat 5 grapes and go to bed.

And it was comments about the scheduling, i specifically heard someone ask if they took a three day event and jammed it into two days. I have no idea what past olympic trial schedules were like.

Last edited:
I don’t get the angst over this and I suspect this wasn’t the first time Aaron bested Taylor Both are great epic talents. Everyone has picked Aaron for this forever. I expect Aaron to be the guy for the next decade

This was specifically what was open at 11 pm. Their son was a greco guy that made weight. At about 10 pm he was a third of a kilo over, he was going to eat 5 grapes and go to bed.

And it was comments about the scheduling, i specifically heard someone ask if they took a three day event and jammed it into two days. I have no idea what past olympic trial schedules were like.
I guess they just had different experiences. I asked the mothers of two different athletes (one WFS and one GR) on Saturday morning what they thought about the facilities and if their children had everything they needed. Both said yes and were very complimentary.
These were two different conversations so, on parent did not speak for the other.
One of the athletes finished 2nd and the other top 8.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT