ADVERTISEMENT

Bring back Moorehead as OC

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
Buy out his Akron contract and give him a raise. Fire the relievers coach, Hire a PROVEN teacher, not the best recruiter. It is time to stress player DEVELOPMENT over recruiting. WRs were much better last year. Not even one improved under the new coach.

Buy out his Akron contract and give him a raise. Fire the relievers coach, Hire a PROVEN teacher, not the best recruiter. It is time to stress player DEVELOPMENT over recruiting. WRs were much better last year. Not even one improved under the new coach.
You do realize that his offense requires an extremely mobile QB? Plus I’ve seen enough RB’s, some named Barkley, clobbered while getting the ball in a stationary position. How’s he faring in his present job?

MilMoorhead, Moorhouse, almost the same. Not exactly setting the world on fire as the HC at Akron. Akron is near the bottom in total offense.
Moorehouse, Morehead, or…..
everythings coming up milhouse GIF

Reactions: mcpat and paddoce
it was his play calling that stopped PSU from closing out the game vs osu in 2017. that was PSU's best shot at going to a national title game in 25 years
Eh, PSU dropped 38 on the Buckeyes in Columbus. It isn’t Moorhead’s fault that the PSU defense allowed JT Barrett to go 33/39, including 13/13 in the 4th quarter, for 328 yards and 4 tds. I believe Moorehead was Oregon’s OC when they went into Columbus and ran all over OSU.

I am by no means saying Moorhead should be brought back, but it wasn’t the offense that cost PSU that game.

People forget why that offense had any success at all. We had a quick, mobile quarterback and game manager who wasn't exactly a great passer, just able to heave it downfield and give his (much better) receivers a chance at a jump ball, usually covered by a small corner. Often it was one-on-one because most of the defense was keyed on the QB and RB, who happened to be named Barkley.

It was probably the worst offense to utilize a back like Barkley and would do nothing to solve the current problem. It would be worse. You need a relative superstar QB to make that work -- a runner AND a passer -- and then you have to get lucky that he doesn't get injured. I hated it for that reason. One tough hit and your season was over. As it was, you may recall that McSorley finished rather ineffective, battling injuries. Same thing happened to Zack Mills. All of the other dual threat types were rather mediocre as passers.

Clearly the Moorhead record since then has proved these observations correct.

Eh, PSU dropped 38 on the Buckeyes in Columbus. It isn’t Moorhead’s fault that the PSU defense allowed JT Barrett to go 33/39, including 13/13 in the 4th quarter, for 328 yards and 4 tds. I believe Moorehead was Oregon’s OC when they went into Columbus and ran all over OSU.

I am by no means saying Moorhead should be brought back, but it wasn’t the offense that cost PSU that game.
I believe there was a series where a 1st down or TD would have put it away, and the offense got stuffed from very short yardage. and it was all his weird slow handoff stuff

Reactions: RickinDayton
I believe there was a series where a 1st down or TD would have put it away, and the offense got stuffed from very short yardage. and it was all his weird slow handoff stuff
For sure a first down would’ve iced the game, and the offense couldn’t get it. It happened several times during his tenure. He isn’t above the criticism. But, if you go into Columbus, hang 38 on them, and give your team a 2 touchdown lead in the 4th quarter I’m not pinning the loss on you.

We had the ball on the 7 YL with a first down at the shoe with about 6-7 minutes left in the game. A TD would have closed out the game for us. Moorhead ran "3 RPO's" - two by Barkley and one by McSorely and we didn't gain an inch. Kicked a FG and went ahead. Buckeyes then moved the ball down the field, scored a TD and won.

The next year with seconds left in the game we needed a first down to stay in the game and win. McSorley already had 175 yards rushing in the game. Moorhead called a handoff to the RB directly at Chase Young, probably the best defensive player in the nation, for No Gain, and We Lost Another One to the Buckeyes.

I was never impressed with Moorhead since got credit for the talent around him.

We had the ball on the 7 YL with a first down at the shoe with about 6-7 minutes left in the game. A TD would have closed out the game for us. Moorhead ran "3 RPO's" - two by Barkley and one by McSorely and we didn't gain an inch. Kicked a FG and went ahead. Buckeyes then moved the ball down the field, scored a TD and won.

The next year with seconds left in the game we needed a first down to stay in the game and win. McSorley already had 175 yards rushing in the game. Moorhead called a handoff to the RB directly at Chase Young, probably the best defensive player in the nation, for No Gain, and We Lost Another One to the Buckeyes.

I was never impressed with Moorhead since got credit for the talent around him.
Moorhead wasn’t running the ball against that OSU defense. It was impressive we were even in that game given the talent differential between PSU and OSU. Again, if the defense hasn’t given up 19 points in the 4th quarter PSU wouldn’t have needed that first down.

Joe Moorhead wasn’t at PSU in 2018 to call any running plays. He was in Starkville, Mississippi.

No. Been there, done that. His running game sucks.

Moorhead had Godwin, Hamilton, Blacknall, Gesicki, Barkley and a really good, mobile QB in McSorley throwing to them. Moorhead did great work making use of that talent, but bringing him back wouldn't magically bring back those kinds of players.

Penn State doesn't have a single receiver this year who would even play for the 2016 Penn State team.

it was his play calling that stopped PSU from closing out the game vs osu in 2017. that was PSU's best shot at going to a national title game in 25 years
That is incorrect. It was Trace McSorley that cost us the OSU game because there is only so much you can do with an option quarterback.

Moorhead wasn’t running the ball against that OSU defense. It was impressive we were even in that game given the talent differential between PSU and OSU. Again, if the defense hasn’t given up 19 points in the 4th quarter PSU wouldn’t have needed that first down.

Joe Moorhead wasn’t at PSU in 2018 to call any running plays. He was in Starkville, Mississippi.
I agree. Our problems those years wasn’t offense (aside from the OL being mediocre at best), it was defense.

Reactions: GreatBasinNit
Why not Fran Ganter? Believe it or not there are dozens, hundreds even, high quality football coaches out there who’ve never coached at PSU!

Completely agree! Moorhead should be paid whatever he wants to come back to repair this dumpster fire of an offense.

I agree. Our problems those years wasn’t offense (aside from the OL being mediocre at best), it was defense.

I seem to remember Franklin's "explosive play" mandate with Joe Moorhead doing nothing but put pressure on our defense late in the game, because they spent most of the game on the field.

Heave it down field for the "explosive play" or go three-and-out. Either way the offense gets to sit while the defense runs.

Ball control requires an OL, and Moorhead's style of offense doesn't exactly make it easy for the OL.

By hiring Moorhead all we would do is trade one problem for a different problem.

You do realize that his offense requires an extremely mobile QB? Plus I’ve seen enough RB’s, some named Barkley, clobbered while getting the ball in a stationary position. How’s he faring in his present job?
He had a mobile QB as well as a Pocket QB when he was at Fordham. I'm not advocating for him, but just putting that out there.

The QB never under center was pretty frustrating.

Reactions: shifix
Debate all you want about the effectiveness of the slow-mesh RPO offense (and I know that most of us have), but the problem is that that is the type of offense that Franklin wants to run. Given that, I will take Moorhead any day of the week and twice on Sundays (or Saturdays in this instance).

My recollection of Moorhead’s tenure at Penn State was that we were a much better offensive football team in the second half of football games than we were in the first. That’s indicative of someone who is able to make in-game adjustments, which none of his replacements have seemed capable of doing.

Also, his success (or lack thereof) as a head coach has little relevance to me as it relates to his ability to be a good coordinator. There are many examples of coaches who are excellent coordinators who have lacked success as head coaches …. one example being the man who is currently coaching our defense.

My recollection of Moorhead’s tenure at Penn State was that we were a much better offensive football team in the second half of football games than we were in the first. That’s indicative of someone who is able to make in-game adjustments, which none of his replacements have seemed capable of doing.
true for the most part, but, remember that he had Barkley in his prime and then left PSU before he ever had to coach a game without him

true for the most part, but, remember that he had Barkley in his prime and then left PSU before he ever had to coach a game without him

Moorhead didn’t have Barkely when his Oregon offense dismantled the Ohio State defense in Columbus.

I seem to remember Franklin's "explosive play" mandate with Joe Moorhead doing nothing but put pressure on our defense late in the game, because they spent most of the game on the field.

Heave it down field for the "explosive play" or go three-and-out. Either way the offense gets to sit while the defense runs.

Ball control requires an OL, and Moorhead's style of offense doesn't exactly make it easy for the OL.

By hiring Moorhead all we would do is trade one problem for a different problem.
I disagree.

Our OL could not get yards when needed.in the 4th qtr. It is better now.

Reactions: LMTLION

We dropped 28 on OSU in Columbus in the 1st half W/O Moorhead.

My bad, with Moorhead. We had offensive players then, Gesecki, Barkley, Hamiltom, Blacknall, Goodwin, Thomkins, and I believe Johnson also. We will ever get offensive players like that again?

So what kind of offense did Moorehead run in Oregon? Was it tailored to the personnel or was it a clone of what he did at PSU?

And more specifically did he go under center or use more than one RB in a formation?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT