ADVERTISEMENT

Brent Pry update....

I will get the paint, you go find a rock.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Total Defense, National Rankings - Last Four Years

Penn State: 1st, 12th, 32nd, 15th

Tom Bradley Defense: 81st, 64th, 42nd, 122nd

And Penn State is just now getting back to having fully mature scholarship rosters.

It would probably be better to stick with the Coaches we have, even if we had to agree to play with just 10 guys on the field, rather than bring in Bradley.

You are not much for sarcasm, eh Barry?

Reactions: stormingnorm
I unearthed one of our time capsules:

Defensive coordinator John Butler signals to his defensive unit in Penn State's 63 to 14 loss to Ohio State on Saturday, Oct 26, 2013.
Penn State’s head coach spoke sternly for 45 seconds while defending his right-hand man, John Butler.

And even after briefly coming up for air, Bill O’Brien wasn’t done.

“That’s a bunch of crap that he’s taking heat,” O’Brien said, interrupting the next question being asked to conclude his thoughts on the defensive coordinator

Needless to say, it didn’t sit well with O’Brien that Butler was catching flak from some following the Nittany Lions’ 63-14 loss to Ohio State Saturday. The typically reserved second-year head coach was adamant in his support of Butler, who has led a defensive unit off to a forgettable start to the Big Ten season.

Despite the 63 points the defense allowed to the Buckeyes on Saturday, O’Brien called Butler a “hell of a football coach.”

“I don’t care what the scoreboard says or what the yardage says. This guy is our defensive coordinator. He’s my defensive coordinator,” O’Brien said. “…If anybody should take heat, it’s Bill O’Brien, not John Butler. So I don’t know where that’s coming from, but hopefully that’ll get squelched.”

Like Tom Bradley as a person , but his bend but don't break defense cost us many times
Agree. BTW, his brother (Steelers team doctor) just did the surgery on Carson Wentz's knee. Either he's a great surgeon or the Eagles doctor stinks. :p

Reactions: step.eng69
Agree. BTW, his brother (Steelers team doctor) just did the surgery on Carson Wentz's knee. Either he's a great surgeon or the Eagles doctor stinks. :p

Or, (and this is definitely the truth), the agent pulls all the strings for these guys these days. Most likely Wentz' agent also reps some of the Steelers, so the agent knows Bradley from there.

I know that you guys find this hard to believe, but how these things are done is not nearly as scientific as you'd like to think. The agents just love to be the guys in charge.

[Edit: Wentz and Ben have the same agent.....]

Last edited:
The hit may be in the number of early LOIs. Maybe some who would have signed early will wait until the coach vacancies are filled.

not getting the vast majority of verbals to sign next week will be a very bad sign. that means that those player have opened their recruiting. they are not waiting for anything. if a good offer comes, they will take it unless PSU has established the coordinator position.

we are still trying to climb back and losing both coordinators in the same year is NOT a good thing.

anyhow - proof is the # of signees next week. the answer will come in a few days. I hope i am wrong.

not getting the vast majority of verbals to sign next week will be a very bad sign. that means that those player have opened their recruiting. they are not waiting for anything. if a good offer comes, they will take it unless PSU has established the coordinator position.

we are still trying to climb back and losing both coordinators in the same year is NOT a good thing.

anyhow - proof is the # of signees next week. the answer will come in a few days. I hope i am wrong.

Thanks, Eeyore.

Or, (and this is definitely the truth), the agent pulls all the strings for these guys these days. Most likely Wentz' agent also reps some of the Steelers, so the agent knows Bradley from there.

I know that you guys find this hard to believe, but how these things are done is not nearly as scientific as you'd like to think. The agents just love to be the guys in charge.

[Edit: Wentz and Ben have the same agent.....]
If I were a second year player in the NFL looking at signing possibly the biggest contract in history in the near future, I think I'd demand the best surgeon on this planet available. But hey, it's just a career so I'll let my agent pick for me.

Reactions: rjg82

So that is your prediction? The "vast majority" of verbals will not sign next week?

Have a feeling our recruiting is going to take a big hit at the end!!!!

This is what I'm afraid of. Three of our top targets left are two 4-star and a 5-star and they are on the DLine. Losing the DC this close to signing day could spell disaster. I hope not, but I imagine that Pry has been heavily involved in their recruiting.

Spencer more than Pry, much more.
And maybe there’s a certain genius to it. PSU coaches in demand and getting hype. For recruiting it’s less likely the next guy up after the coordinator (spencer) leaves for a great HC position after two years of success, like Moorhead and possibly Pry. Spencer is also a heck of a recruiter—so my theory may be at least semi-garbage.

I have no inside info on this situation, but I’m thinking this is a great opportunity to give the program and a young coach some exposure and recognition. Maybe let’s us and the talking heads possibly appreciate him more while he’s here. Also seems this isn’t the best offer Pry will likely get if he stays and PSU’s defense continues to get better, which seems inevitable.

Ha! Watch it’ll be announced in 20 seconds that he’s gone.

He's welcome back anytime he wants. I just don't want him as a coach any longer.
I love Tom Bradley. I want to BE Tom Bradley. But Tom is done as a defensive coordinator. The game has evolved with the emphasis on offense and superior QB play that his style will not work any more. Hey - that philosophy had a great run including two national championships for us. Of course the '57 Bel Air was the ultimate in cars too - for it's time. Not anymore.

I

i read Carson s agent picked the surgeon
Good to know. Next time I blow my back out I'll call my stock broker to ask where I should have surgery. Or maybe the lady at the deli counter that slices my cheese.

Reactions: vops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT