ADVERTISEMENT

Brands just lost again....

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
Good Lord was he wildly over-rated to start the season based on absolutely nothing whatsoever (i.e., he is a clear example of some of the rating services clear bias in regards to Iowa).

Reactions: ccdiver
Good Lord was he wildly over-rated to start the season based on absolutely nothing whatsoever (i.e., he is a clear example of some of the rating services clear bias in regards to Iowa).
Starocci was ranked #5 by Flo & #7 by Track going into this week with his best career win is 3-2 vs Ben Harvey. Spare me the Iowa bias.

Just so we’re clear, I think Starocci is a sure-fire AA by the end of the season, but make the guy earn it.

Braunagel is tough. There appears to be little separation, in talent and style, between he and Brands

Spencer still has zero offense in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Lee was given a pin when the IU guy's blades were 3 inches off the mat. By season's end, the celebrity-minded and homer refs will be calling the fall before he runs out to take the mat. I guess their thinking is that Lee needs the pins to win the Hodge and that tech falls aren't going to do it alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lee was given a pin when the IU guy's blades were 3 inches off the mat. By season's end, the celebrity-minded and homer refs will be calling the fall before he runs out to take the mat.
Haha I said the same thing watching. The fall was inevitable but it came real fast

I think even one of the BTN guys said...with the quick call.

Haha I said the same thing watching. The fall was inevitable but it came real fast

I think even one of the BTN guys said...with the quick call.
And then they got a make up call, because Byrd looked flat for a second in the next match.

And then they got a make up call, because Byrd looked flat for a second in the next match.
You think they did a give back...honestly?

SLee gets calls because hes that great. The other is just human refs being human refs.

Reactions: nitlion6
Braunagel is tough. There appears to be little separation, in talent and style, between he and Brands
What match were you watching, Braunagel has zero offense. Good defense and counters. I don't think either will make the podium come March.

You think they did a give back...honestly?

SLee gets calls because hes that great. The other is just human refs being human refs.
Not necessarily, but I think the ref probably realized he was a step quick and the first one and corrected himself into being a step slow on the second.

What match were you watching, Braunagel has zero offense. Good defense and counters. I don't think either will make the podium come March.

So you think Braunagel is not tough? Or Brands isn't? Or that they have different styles and/or talent level?

Braunagel is no offensive juggernaut for sure, but he's definitely a tough dude and a tough out.

Actually, it was pretty good I'f you know what you're looking at. Good scrap

Well, that’s quite insulting. I’ll just reiterate my view that it was incredibly dull to watch. Like watching paint dry. Maybe that’s entertaining by Iowa standards, but I guess I’m just a spoiled Penn State fan. Agree to disagree.

Reactions: jack66
Starocci was ranked #5 by Flo & #7 by Track going into this week with his best career win is 3-2 vs Ben Harvey. Spare me the Iowa bias.

Just so we’re clear, I think Starocci is a sure-fire AA by the end of the season, but make the guy earn it.
I was impressed by Brands vs Venz. One win doesn’t make a career. As far as CStar, too bad Penn State doesn’t have a history freshman National Champions taking a bad loss😳.

Exactly, both looked solid top 20, but extremely boring (watching grass grow is better entertainment boring), but certainly nowhere close to top 8. Brands also looked very pedestrian in his prior match against a nobody, who should have won the match.

Reactions: NittanyChris
In this asterisk of a season - If anyone takes a win or a loss serious they're foolish.

Lee was given a pin when the IU guy's blades were 3 inches off the mat. By season's end, the celebrity-minded and homer refs will be calling the fall before he runs out to take the mat. I guess their thinking is that Lee needs the pins to win the Hodge and that tech falls aren't going to do it alone.
If you want to ref at Carver.......you gotta do what you gotta do.........Stalling in 3-2-who are we kidding....at Carver....stalling called at 3 :)

Taylor Venz lost to Chris Weiler 11-10 after being up 6-0.
Venz clearly has been relaxing over Covid break. He quit in the match against Brands too.
giphy.gif

Venz has always seemed like a high ceiling / low floor type of wrestler. He is a guy that is hard to judge other wrestlers by. He will probably have the same winning percentage in 2021 as in past years. Will have some good wins and some head scratching losses. Not calling Brands a headscratcher.

Warner gassed big time and had to stall his way to the finish line in the third.

Will be interesting to see him and Beard if they can go all 7 minutes.

Brands is what he is. Result doesn’t surprise me.

I think Beard takes Warner. Beard going to have trouble with the guys that can push for 7 minutes. Warner not that guy..we’ll see next week. Can’t wait

Reactions: findtheStrength
Brands is what he is. Result doesn’t surprise me.

I think Beard takes Warner. Beard going to have trouble with the guys that can push for 7 minutes. Warner not that guy..we’ll see next week. Can’t wait

I agree. Beard's tank looks much better lately and IMO Warner just doesn't impress me. He absolutely fades. I'll take Beard from neutral any day. I see Beard in a 3 point victory.

I actually thought Warner looked really good today. He looked a lot better against Singletary and I think he got nicked up against Penola and was woozy.

Reactions: Lumpy Johnson
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT