ADVERTISEMENT

Bourbon Barrel as an Outside Table (Recommendations)

jmorovich

Apr 28, 2015
I built a paver patio where I can put my grill and big green egg smoker. My wife went to a winery and was able to buy an old barrel that was used for Bourbon and wine. I am using it as a pub table outside by the grill. She also got me 2 wooden high chairs to go with it. I have sanded the chairs and put a urethane coating on them to get them through the elements.

My question is, should I do anything similar to the barrel. I have done some research and it seems that there's everything from "leave it, it will naturally weather" to "sand it down and seal it". I don't plan on leaving it outside all winter long. I've even been debating going and getting a grill cover to toss on it just when I'm not out there or we don't have people over. I will put it away in late fall and pull it back out in the spring, but it is sitting directly in the sun and getting hit with water from rain and the sprinklers in the yard.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I built a paver patio where I can put my grill and big green egg smoker. My wife went to a winery and was able to buy an old barrel that was used for Bourbon and wine. I am using it as a pub table outside by the grill. She also got me 2 wooden high chairs to go with it. I have sanded the chairs and put a urethane coating on them to get them through the elements.

My question is, should I do anything similar to the barrel. I have done some research and it seems that there's everything from "leave it, it will naturally weather" to "sand it down and seal it". I don't plan on leaving it outside all winter long. I've even been debating going and getting a grill cover to toss on it just when I'm not out there or we don't have people over. I will put it away in late fall and pull it back out in the spring, but it is sitting directly in the sun and getting hit with water from rain and the sprinklers in the yard.

Call the winery and get the benefit of their experience. They may suggest some options you like with the kind of wood they use for the barrels.

Generally speaking, if it's not a more naturally resistant wood like cedar, or a treated wood for outdoor use, the wood will decay with the elements. Protecting wood from decay is a prime reason people use stains, paint and urethane type finishes.

If you live in a very dry location, the wood may last a bit longer outside, although the outside will degrade via UV attack from the sun. If the wood gets wet and warm, microbes will be more active and the wood will decay more quickly.

Bottom line is what do you want?

No protective coating may give you a look you want, but the wood won't last as long.

If you like the look with a protective coating, you do the proper prep work and apply the coating you want, from transparent stains that show the wood underneath, to opaque paints or more of a basketball floor look with a urethane type product.

Your choice.

Reactions: jmorovich
All bourbon barrels are white oak. It is fairly rot resistant, and no chemicals have been used to preserve the wood. Finishing is up to you. They don't put a finish on from the cooperage, but it isn't used outdoors.

If left unfinished, it should end up with a gray finish after a few years outside.

Lumberjocks site has some info on white oak in exterior applications.

Here is a comment you might like...

I have used White Oak for several outdoor projects over the past 7 years and they are all still in great condition.

There is very little maintenance required. We get the heat and humidity in Maryland that you get in NC just not as long so I think it is safe to say that you would do ok with the species.

White Oak’s pores are filled with tyloses which acts as a water repellant. Most wine barrels are made with White Oak for this reason. I think this is the best domestic outdoor wood. There is no question that the tropical species are even more rot and water resistant, but you can’t beat white oak as a North American option. Think of it this way, most our this country (and England) was built on White Oak.​

Hit this site for some ideas. I like it split in two and used as a side table w a rough oak top. Off the hook

http://bourbonbarrelartisan.com/

To answer your question, is it out in the sun? That is your biggest problem more so than rain imo. I don't like the silver/grey look. Your grill cover is a good idea I have used something called 'bar top finish' though I can't remember how it does in the weather. The boaters use Cetol, which is easy to use, some think it gives a yellow hue

Last edited:
Well it goes without staying that you need to make sure the barrel doesn't hold water at the top. Drill as many holes as are needed for proper drainage.

As for coatings why not ask your local paint store.

Generally urethanes don't do well in the sun -- UV breaks them down.

But you can get spar urethane designed for boat decks that does better.

If you don't want a finish on it, you just want to preserve the wood, a stain or linseed oil might be sufficient. Some of the oils are toxic to bugs which is what you want.

Wood in the environment can do very well if it stays dry.

Don't let the barrel sit on concrete or dirt. The rot will start there and progress upwards.

You also need to protect the top of the barrel as it will naturally hold water and just the morning dew over time will attack the joints.

Mildew will come first on any areas that stay wet.

Wood in the environment can do very well if it stays dry.

Don't let the barrel sit on concrete or dirt. The rot will start there and progress upwards.

You also need to protect the top of the barrel as it will naturally hold water and just the morning dew over time will attack the joints.

Mildew will come first on any areas that stay wet.

When you say "protect the top" do you mean seal it or cover it? I am planning on getting a grill mat and cutting it to fit the bottom of the barrel so it's not directly on the pavers.

The staves of the barrel extend slightly past the top. The outside of the round top is beveled and fits in a groove cut in the staves. Keeping that joint dry and waterproof would be important for long life.

I don't know what material the 'grill mat' is made of but whatever, it would be best to have the barrel sit on several small metal points or put the support inside of the staves so any water can drip off the barrel and not stay in contact with the wood.

Good luck and enjoy.

The staves of the barrel extend slightly past the top. The outside of the round top is beveled and fits in a groove cut in the staves. Keeping that joint dry and waterproof would be important for long life.

I don't know what material the 'grill mat' is made of but whatever, it would be best to have the barrel sit on several small metal points or put the support inside of the staves so any water can drip off the barrel and not stay in contact with the wood.

Good luck and enjoy.

Gotcha...makes sense. Thanks again for the info and the recommendations.

Lumberjocks site has some info on white oak in exterior applications.

Here is a comment you might like...

I have used White Oak for several outdoor projects over the past 7 years and they are all still in great condition.

There is very little maintenance required. We get the heat and humidity in Maryland that you get in NC just not as long so I think it is safe to say that you would do ok with the species.

White Oak’s pores are filled with tyloses which acts as a water repellant. Most wine barrels are made with White Oak for this reason. I think this is the best domestic outdoor wood. There is no question that the tropical species are even more rot and water resistant, but you can’t beat white oak as a North American option. Think of it this way, most our this country (and England) was built on White Oak.​

Hit this site for some ideas. I like it split in two and used as a side table w a rough oak top. Off the hook

http://bourbonbarrelartisan.com/

To answer your question, is it out in the sun? That is your biggest problem more so than rain imo. I don't like the silver/grey look. Your grill cover is a good idea I have used something called 'bar top finish' though I can't remember how it does in the weather. The boaters use Cetol, which is easy to use, some think it gives a yellow hue

Thanks for both links. Some good stuff in there.

I'm leaning towards the cover for now because it just seems like the easiest until I figure out what direction to go.

It is directly out in the sun and the elements. I have a Spar Urethane (clean satin to avoid any "shine") that I used on the chairs. I may just do single bottom stave to see how that turns out and go from there.

Not letting water get inside the barrel and just sitting is the biggest thing, White Oak will hold up a very long time. Any kind of varnish will peel at some point . If anything some kind of an oil that soaks in and just needs recoated. At some point replacing it after a long time might be easier . My Grandpa ran a sawmill forty years and I know White Oak was the choice for all things getting weather. I have cut firewood from some really bad looking dead and inside is still really good. There a few lesser known woods that are better, Black locust and Osage Orange, but they wont be in a whiskey barrel which I think are all White Oak, Red Oak wont last long . The actual silvery weathering to an extent makes its own protective coat and its going to have something on it from the process which would also make me wonder about varnish sticking well but a good paint store could tell you. Id leave it alone , use a cover so that water doesnt sit in that top area and /or get inside. To an etent you want some moisture in the wood to keep the barrel tight.

"To an extent you want some moisture in the wood to keep the barrel tight."

Good point.

Probably can leave the bung hole open, but if you do put some screen over the hole to keep out 'jackets and wasps. You might be able to use on the drywall repair tools to stick the screen on the inside.

Not letting water get inside the barrel and just sitting is the biggest thing, White Oak will hold up a very long time. Any kind of varnish will peel at some point . If anything some kind of an oil that soaks in and just needs recoated. At some point replacing it after a long time might be easier . My Grandpa ran a sawmill forty years and I know White Oak was the choice for all things getting weather. I have cut firewood from some really bad looking dead and inside is still really good. There a few lesser known woods that are better, Black locust and Osage Orange, but they wont be in a whiskey barrel which I think are all White Oak, Red Oak wont last long . The actual silvery weathering to an extent makes its own protective coat and its going to have something on it from the process which would also make me wonder about varnish sticking well but a good paint store could tell you. Id leave it alone , use a cover so that water doesnt sit in that top area and /or get inside. To an etent you want some moisture in the wood to keep the barrel tight.

I think you convinced me...I'm going to just get a cover to keep it covered when not being used. Then bring it in during the winter. Will also set it up on metal to keep the wood off the ground to keep that from rotting.

Great tips from everyone!! Appreciate all the help with this!

Reactions: crayfish67

I have 4 half barrels that I placed between the stalls of my garage to use as planters. I did nothing to preserve them. That was ~15 years ago. They are hammered, but since they are full of dirt, and bear no weight, it's fine.

Using them as tables in this condition would be impossible. Don't think your barrels are going to last a decade as tables without covers and storage inside, and maybe not with those things.

Check with a paint supply company. You need some kind of clear finish.

"big green egg smoker"

This begs some questions:

1. You have a smoker. Is it a big green smoker for eggs? Is it a big smoker for green eggs? Is it a smoker for big green eggs?

2. Assuming you are smoking green eggs, big or not, do you have ham with them? If so, is the ham smoked?

3. Are you smoking the eggs, green or not, big or not, with or without ham, in the overnight RV lot?

When you saw a barrel in half, you lose part of the integrity of the barrel. The wood will dry and shrink, and there is no hoop or tongue and groove to keep the top tight. Barrels will last a really long time, when kept intact. Some have been in use for up to 80 years. It spends most of those years filled with a liquid.

I've seen barrels used at wineries as a table. They don't do anything to them, but they have an endless supply. Seems this discussion is more about cosmetics than utility.

"big green egg smoker"

This begs some questions:

1. You have a smoker. Is it a big green smoker for eggs? Is it a big smoker for green eggs? Is it a smoker for big green eggs?

2. Assuming you are smoking green eggs, big or not, do you have ham with them? If so, is the ham smoked?

3. Are you smoking the eggs, green or not, big or not, with or without ham, in the overnight RV lot?
Do not make fun of the Big Green Egg.....we will find you:mad:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT