ADVERTISEMENT

BOB to Ohio State as new OC

Boy, Alabama's great safety just transferred to OSU, they are cleaning up in the portal.

Yeah, this is getting unreal.
They simply will not accept a world in which they lose to Michigan in successive years and watch the wolverines win a championship. Its all in. I just dont think penn state will ever operate this way, nor should they

They simply will not accept a world in which they lose to Michigan in successive years and watch the wolverines win a championship. Its all in. I just dont think penn state will ever operate this way, nor should they
They absolutely should. It's within the rules and a vital part of college football in 2024.

You're probably right as I have some relatives that are OSU grads and losing to Michigan just eats their insides up. They lose 2 games in a year - one being Michigan - and the year is a TOTAL failure.

Bama with bob did not win the national championship, right? Bama won a NC with locksley as oc.
Correct. After all the time OB spent with the Patriots and Bama, he wasn't there for any championships at either.

LOL. Yet another idiotic post claiming that a college team, even the National Champion, could beat a bad NFL team. The worst NFL team would kick the best college team’s ass every damn time.

It was a joke, but your angry comment is actually better

Angry Fed Up GIF

Reactions: bigbopper1985
They absolutely should. It's within the rules and a vital part of college football in 2024.
we should operate more like them, but i agree that we shouldn't go all the way to their mode. if the cost of competing becomes totally irrational and uneconomic, you kind of assume most schools will put on the brakes. except i am pretty sure that one won't

Correct. After all the time OB spent with the Patriots and Bama, he wasn't there for any championships at either.
he seems a little bit directionless at this point. I am not sure he knows whether he wants to be in college or the NFL

he seems a little bit directionless at this point. I am not sure he knows whether he wants to be in college or the NFL

He most likely wants to be in the NFL. If another NFL OC had been offered, he probably would have taken it, but that might require a little more patience and might mean not coaching in '24.

The OSU gig is akin to him taking the Bama job: high end rehabilitation. Their offense is going to be good regardless based on talent alone. If BOB can get them top 10 in a bunch of stats, he'll be sought after again for '25 NFL openings.

He most likely wants to be in the NFL. If another NFL OC had been offered, he probably would have taken it, but that might require a little more patience and might mean not coaching in '24.

The OSU gig is akin to him taking the Bama job: high end rehabilitation. Their offense is going to be good regardless based on talent alone. If BOB can get them top 10 in a bunch of stats, he'll be sought after again for '25 NFL openings.
yeah but the Alabama job only got him back to a position he previously held, and the new coach either didn't want him or he didn't want to work for him. and there are plenty of openings this year, and may be more (e.g., the Detroit OC is likely to become the WSH HC). Not sure what is going on with him.

Reactions: lazydave841

Agree, just don't see him at OSU very long. At most, 2 years

Reactions: lazydave841
BOB was a miserable SOB and a prima dona. Did he get along with any superiors at any of his stops? Doubt it.

He was a slightly above average coach but nothing special. 8-4, 7-5. Mauti and company held things together while BOB was looking to jump ship as soon as sanctions hit.

I for one do not miss him. As soon as Bob was gone Dave Jones negative stories from anonymous sources inside the team suddenly stopped. I wonder if Bob will still be leaking those stories when he is not the head coach.

• Haha
Reactions: scrivener
I appreciate what he did for PSU at the worst possible time imaginable. However, he never was going to stay here for an extended period even under the best of circumstances.

You had really low expectations because of the situation.

Has he stayed ANYWHERE for an extended period of time?

I know a high school football coach and asked him who was the biggest jerk of a college coach he ever met and he said BOB without hesitation - said he was a pompous ass.

I know a high school football coach and asked him who was the biggest jerk of a college coach he ever met and he said BOB without hesitation - said he was a pompous ass.
Yeah, there's a reason he keeps bouncing around. If you follow his career and feedback from others, he's an excellent X and Os type coach but, on the other side, a real a-hole that has a hard time with others at the college or NFL team.

we should operate more like them, but i agree that we shouldn't go all the way to their mode. if the cost of competing becomes totally irrational and uneconomic, you kind of assume most schools will put on the brakes. except i am pretty sure that one won't
I dont think there's an option to put on the breaks given the money college football generates. If Penn State fans (younger fans in particular) don't see Penn State as willing to pay to compete it's going to be problematic. The AD and coach have to make NIL their top priority in this era. I don't love the portal or how NIL works but I accept its not going away.

Lots of guys he apparently never met then lol. Don't get me wrong. O'Brien isn't warm and fuzzy but a ton of coaches are just as pompous, controlling and unfriendly. When a high school coach says that there's usually a specific event that upset them in my experience. A buddy of mine was recently fired was a WPIAL program and half of what he complained about was always entertaining. Don't underestimate high school coach's ego either.

I dont think there's an option to put on the breaks given the money college football generates. If Penn State fans (younger fans in particular) don't see Penn State as willing to pay to compete it's going to be problematic. The AD and coach have to make NIL their top priority in this era. I don't love the portal or how NIL works but I accept its not going away.
well that's not really what i am saying. I am saying that OSU seems like they would never stop, even if the investment required to stay at the top was totally uneconomic. most other schools will give up on it at some point

well that's not really what i am saying. I am saying that OSU seems like they would never stop, even if the investment required to stay at the top was totally uneconomic and hurting the schools finances
How high would that have to get given the revenue football brings in? Especially since isn't most of the NIL coming from sources that isn't financed by the school?

I get what you're saying but ultimately it's about the coach and AD convincing outside sources to pay these guys. Unless I'm missing something and OSU is financing all of this.

I think ultimately NIL kills other male sports.

cost greater than the revenue would be the equation, I think
a little more complicated than that cause you have to consider it over multiple years, but that's about it
So, per Google, Ohio State's football revenue was 251.6M in 2022. How much money do you think they've spent on NIL? I'd say less than 10% though with NIL we'll probably never truly know.

So, per Google, Ohio State's football revenue was 251.6M in 2022. How much money do you think they've spent on NIL? I'd say less than 10% though with NIL we'll probably never truly know.
yes. I am not talking about right now. I'm talking about the future of this sport, which I don't really think is going to last two more decades before it cannibalizes itself and becomes pro boxing.

BOB was a miserable SOB and a prima dona. Did he get along with any superiors at any of his stops? Doubt it.

He was a slightly above average coach but nothing special. 8-4, 7-5. Mauti and company held things together while BOB was looking to jump ship as soon as sanctions hit.

I for one do not miss him. As soon as Bob was gone Dave Jones negative stories from anonymous sources inside the team suddenly stopped. I wonder if Bob will still be leaking those stories when he is not the head coach.
LOL...u are such a JF bot, it's hilarious. BOB kept the program afloat for those two years, and gave PSU the hard a**, take no prisoners attitude that they needed. Frankly, if your boy JF actually coached and ran the program with an edge and piss & vinegar, maybe they wouldn't be soft pretenders annually.

And, yes, is BOB a pain and difficult, sure. But, u sound like a total JF fanboy with every post. Dave Jones is a shill who blew BOB's cover with what was supposed to be off the record, I believe. But, go ahead, think that BOB (who never was a long term option) had no importance. Clown.

He came here to parlay the Penn State job into an NFL gig and it worked. He wasn’t the only candidate.
So? Is everyone supposed to be like Joe and stick around for decades? Most careers in all fields don't work that way.

yes. I am not talking about right now. I'm talking about the future of this sport, which I don't really think is going to last two more decades before it cannibalizes itself and becomes pro boxing.
Based on what though? It doesn't even make sense to be to compare it to boxing. How is it comparable to boxing? Maybe you're right and I'm just missing what you think is the same (always possible)

LOL...u are such a JF bot, it's hilarious. BOB kept the program afloat for those two years, and gave PSU the hard a**, take no prisoners attitude that they needed. Frankly, if your boy JF actually coached and ran the program with an edge and piss & vinegar, maybe they wouldn't be soft pretenders annually.

And, yes, is BOB a pain and difficult, sure. But, u sound like a total JF fanboy with every post. Dave Jones is a shill who blew BOB's cover with what was supposed to be off the record, I believe. But, go ahead, think that BOB (who never was a long term option) had no importance. Clown.
Weak post. I never mentioned jf.

Bob was a dbag. He was looking to bail as soon as sanctions hit. Mauti and the players kept the program together.

Bob hated it here and he hated the joebots like you. Bob spent two years leaking stories to Dave Jones about how much he hated it at psu. Kind of dumb to believe the last BOB leak was off the record after he leaked multiple previous stories on the record.

Bob's take no prisoner attitude resulted in 8-4 and 7-5 with losses to ohio bobcats, CFU, nebraska twice, Minnesota, Indiana and Virginia.

So? Is everyone supposed to be like Joe and stick around for decades? Most careers in all fields don't work that way.
Was Bob happy at any job?

The problem with obrien is he is a miserable SOB everywhere he has been. He is a dbag.

Coaches come and go every year. We have seen hundreds over the years. I can't think of any who were as miserable as BOB. None.

Manny just left. He took the high road and wished psu well. Even coaches who got fired took the high road. All the coaches I remember leaving took the high road except obrien.

Obrien was getting ready to leave and he even fired guys the week before he quit. What a dbag.

Bob was a dbag. He was looking to bail as soon as sanctions hit. Mauti and the players kept the program together.

Bob hated it here and he hated the joebots like you. Bob spent two years leaking stories to Dave Jones about how much he hated it at psu. Kind of dumb to believe the last BOB leak was off the record after he leaked multiple previous stories on the record.

Bob's take no prisoner attitude resulted in 8-4 and 7-5 with losses to ohio bobcats, CFU, nebraska twice, Minnesota, Indiana and Virginia.
Shouldn't you love O'Brien then?
O'Brien also made it clear from day 1 he wanted to go to the NFL if anyone actually listened to the words he said. People need to rewatch his introductory press conference with the benefit of hindsight.

Reactions: scrivener
Shouldn't you love O'Brien then?
O'Brien also made it clear from day 1 he wanted to go to the NFL if anyone actually listened to the words he said. People need to rewatch his introductory press conference with the benefit of hindsight.
Why would I love obrien? Maybe if you love going 7-5.

Are Alabama and OSU in the NFL? Bob also reached out to Maryland when his was feeling the heat in Houston. BOB wants to be wherever he isn't and once he is there he is miserable again.

LOL I'm not the JoeBot...u are. Every argument u make defending JF always mentions Joe and how the program was back then, etc. Now u have no idea what u are arguing vs my position. I am a BOB guy and what he did for our program. Some disagree like u, I think most, are appreciative.

Last edited:

Are Alabama and OSU in the NFL? Bob also reached out to Maryland when his was feeling the heat in Houston. BOB wants to be wherever he isn't and once he is there he is miserable again.
So u judge BOB on his record during the most tumultuous time in program history when we were near death, yet u coddle JF when the program is healthy and he whines and gets what he wants like a toddler? Ok JF bot.

If Ficken could make a basic kick at uva and we didn't get hosed on that TD call vs NEB with the fumble at the goal line, his record is even more impressive.

So u judge BOB on his record during the most tumultuous time in program history when we were near death, yet u coddle JF when the program is healthy and he whines and gets what he wants like a toddler? Ok JF bot.

If Ficken could make a basic kick at uva and we didn't get hosed on that TD call vs NEB with the fumble at the goal line, his record is even more impressive.

Maybe BOB should have had a special teams coach. Bob made the decision to go the season without one. Special teams suffered and lost multiple games because of it.

UVA and Ohio bobcats losses were on bob. Who made the decision to give Derek day 20 carries for 40 yds while zwinak was sitting on the bench with 0 carries? Who had LBs returning punts?

What stop do you want to judge BOb on? This years new england? Houston? Bama? Bama won a title with locksley but none with bob. New england did all their winning without bob

The bold explained that. We explained in his press conference what his goal was--he achieved that. He'd obviously take a HC job over a non-HC job and maybe you're confused about the quality of those 2 OC positions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT