ADVERTISEMENT

BOB to Ohio State as new OC

This doesn't really move the needle much for me? Does it make them any better? I don't know. But I do know they promoted Hartline to OC last year, what does this make him next season? Anything that potentially rocks the boat enough to get Hartline out of Columbus is a win for the Nits, IMO.

Is OSU any better going into next year? Their OL is still a MAJOR question mark, and while talented, their WR corp doesn't have MHJR anymore. Is the kid from KSU any better than McCord? Probably not. They still don't have a Stroud, Fields, etc. Seems like they're rolling out the same team as last year.

Does that mean we can beat them? I'll believe it when I see it. But Day has noticeable cracks in the armor.

Reactions: bigbopper1985
This doesn't really move the needle much for me? Does it make them any better? I don't know. But I do know they promoted Hartline to OC last year, what does this make him next season? Anything that potentially rocks the boat enough to get Hartline out of Columbus is a win for the Nits, IMO.

Is OSU any better going into next year? Their OL is still a MAJOR question mark, and while talented, their WR corp doesn't have MHJR anymore. Is the kid from KSU any better than McCord? Probably not. They still don't have a Stroud, Fields, etc. Seems like they're rolling out the same team as last year.

Does that mean we can beat them? I'll believe it when I see it. But Day has noticeable cracks in the armor.
I suspect that they'll be a two or three loss team next season including a bowl game, probably similar to last season in overall performance. They came under a second at ND of losing a second regular season game last season and, without Harrison, their offense probably won't be much, if any, better than it was last season.

With that said, like you, I'll believe that PSU will beat them when it actually happens more than the appearance of Halley's Comet.

It's pretty well known that Hartline is fine not calling the plays for the time being and instead growing into the position. We won't keep him forever, but the OC promotion last year was mostly a way to give him more money and ease him into increased responsibilities. There was never any scenario in which he was going to be the primary playcaller.

O'Brien essentially replaces Corey Dennis on our staff, who was a nepotism hire that didn't really pan out. BoB will be huge for our QB development, especially now that it frees up Ryan Day to focus on bigger HC CEO-type functions.

Our WR corps as a group will probably be better this year than last year, even if nobody is individually as good as Marv. Egbuka was hurt for much of the year, and we didn't have a true #3 until Carnell Tate started emerging into the role. With Egbuka healthy, Tate and Brandon Inniss a year older, and now Jeremiah Smith on the team, it's a deeper WR unit even if without a Heisman finalist #1.

Our RB room *could* be the best in the country. Really depends on how the OL improves. That's the obvious question mark. We don't need Will Howard to be Stroud or Fields. We need him to be something like Stetson Bennett who distributes the ball efficiently, makes good decisions, and extends plays with his legs.

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
Unless Will Howard is Justin Fields or CJ Stroud OSU offense will be really strong but not fantastic. This is an interesting hire. When Day had Fields and Stroud and Michigan didn't they dominated. The last couple seasons Michigan had McCarthy and Day was stuck with McCord different results. BOB is more pro-style than RPO. OSU has been built more for RPO so we'll see. Unfortunately with or without BOB I still see them being better than PSU
You're concentrating on the QBs and, yes, they're a big part. But if you followed the B1G and OSU, their biggest issue was their sub-OSU standard OL and it showed up bigtime in the Michigan game especially on that last OSU possession when OSU was driving for the winning TD and McCord was intercepted when his protection broke down. No QB will be a big-time success if he doesn't have a solid OL in front of him and that includes Fields and Stroud

Last edited:
I think he's picky and doesn't want a mid level job
Maybe he is waiting for the Alabama or new england
head coaching jobs to open up. Sarcasm

His problem is he is a prima dona. He does not get along with any of his superiors at any of his jobs. If he simply waited one year he would have been in line for the bama job.

It's pretty well known that Hartline is fine not calling the plays for the time being and instead growing into the position. We won't keep him forever, but the OC promotion last year was mostly a way to give him more money and ease him into increased responsibilities. There was never any scenario in which he was going to be the primary playcaller.

O'Brien essentially replaces Corey Dennis on our staff, who was a nepotism hire that didn't really pan out. BoB will be huge for our QB development, especially now that it frees up Ryan Day to focus on bigger HC CEO-type functions.

Our WR corps as a group will probably be better this year than last year, even if nobody is individually as good as Marv. Egbuka was hurt for much of the year, and we didn't have a true #3 until Carnell Tate started emerging into the role. With Egbuka healthy, Tate and Brandon Inniss a year older, and now Jeremiah Smith on the team, it's a deeper WR unit even if without a Heisman finalist #1.

Our RB room *could* be the best in the country. Really depends on how the OL improves. That's the obvious question mark. We don't need Will Howard to be Stroud or Fields. We need him to be something like Stetson Bennett who distributes the ball efficiently, makes good decisions, and extends plays with his legs.
Is Will Howard that much of an upgrade over McCord? I doubt it but we will see.

I wonder how Brian Hartline feels about this? This will either save Ryan Day's job or it will be the reason he is gone after this year.
I've read on Eleven Warriors - a few times - that Hartline is fine not calling plays. Hartline relates well to the young CF players and is a recruiting monster but probably feels he needs to expand his CF offensive knowledge before making a jump to a true OC or, eventually, a head coaching position somewhere. Last thing a young CF coach needs is to fail in his first important coaching position.

And yes, I agree, 2024 is do or die for Ryan Day and many on his staff which should be obvious with all of the stuff going on in Columbus right now. He needs to beat Michigan in Columbus and win the B1G in 2024 - bare minimum - to save his job,

They could have a lynching party in downtown Columbus next year (of Ryan Day) if he loses to Michigan in Columbus - especially with the talent difference between the 2024 rosters. IMO, I think the B1G could come down to OSU, Oregon and possibly PSU with Michigan and maybe USC the next 2. PSU's chances revolve around Allar and the OL having a solid year - the defense should be solid again.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Uh, you cannot even begin to compare the talent on O'Brien's PSU teams to the current OSU team. A bad comparison.
I didn't compare them to OSU.

Since you brought it up I will play. How about YOU compare he psu talent in 2012/2013 to Ohio bobcats, Virginia, CFU, Nebraska, Indiana and Minnesota,

Again, I'm not doing this out of defense of PSU, because OSU has been Franklin's daddy for the last decade. I'll believe it when I see it as far as PSU being notable competition for the BIG championship next season.

But you're wearing some serious scarlet and grey sunglasses in your assessment. Ryan Day as a CEO type? His play calling is literally his one redeeming quality- anything else (besides recruiting) is average. If Franklin is bad against top ten teams, what's that make Day? And BOB is now the play calling savior? He was hated in Tuscaloosa, and he coached up the worst offense in the NFL last year. Not denying his football mind, but he's been pretty disappointing with play calling duties outside of a handful of seasons with Tom Brady.

OSU's offensive line was bad this past season, and what will make it any better this year? The better competition on the schedule, OSU will become completely one dimensional again - PSU, Michigan, Iowa, Georgia in the postseason. Best RB duo in the country? Seriously, that's laughable. Henderson has been a shadow of his freshman season, and his best days are far in the past because of his injuries. Judkins? We just faced him in a bowl and the second team defense erased him. He's nothing more than Miyan Williams or any of your other depth pieces these past few years. OSU over payed with NIL for an above average SEC RB. Egbuka was not healthy, but he was still graded out as a 3-4th rounder, he's not Harrison JR.

I won't ever argue against the talent and depth Hardline puts together in that WR room. But to think there won't be a step back with a generational talent like MHJR leaving, you'll be mistaken. He single handily won games. McCord was and is average, but was completely saved by Marv on multiple occasions. Will Howard isn't more talented than McCord by any stretch, and he won't have the security blanket of someone like Marv.

Am shocked he took the job. Why coach in college sports with all the NIL and Portal problems a college coach has to deal with? Pro is so much better.
OSU, along with USC, is the closest thing to a pro atmosphere for college football. I mean, OSU is Columbus' de facto pro football team.

Also, to a large degree, OSU recruits itself.

Spin it all you want. the truth is he was here and kept the program together as wells bring in a couple of recruits that excelled
Agree. I don't get the hate. I can understand why people have concerns and objections regarding his time as our HC.

But given the circumstances, I thought he compile a respectable resume. And I am actually appreciative for his efforts which helped get us to where we are today.

I appreciate what he did for PSU at the worst possible time imaginable. However, he never was going to stay here for an extended period even under the best of circumstances.
Don’t disagree and have said repeatedly that I didn’t begrudge him for that but claiming that he left because of the JoeBots was nauseating BS.

Easy to understand the hate. He was the HC that had the unmitigated gall to leave "Happy Valley" for another position. The PSU HC is supposed to be an appointment for life. James gets it.
I presonally don't blame him for leaving, because he's a pro coach deep in his heart. However, your statement infers that you would be happy with a PSU head coach only staying for two seasons, even if he has some success like Franklin has had. I guess that you yearn for instablity and constant upheaval and uncertainty. That's no way to build a program; that's basically what Pitt's program did for about thirty years until Narduzzi took over, and you see that Pitt has stuck with him even though he certainly hasn't been as successful as Franklin has been.

I'm not sure Obrien is a step up from Day, who is a brilliant play caller. Make no mistake, with their transfer acquisitions and this hire, OSU is ALL in.
More like Day is All in......to try to save his job.

Is Will Howard that much of an upgrade over McCord? I doubt it but we will see.
McCord has great arm talent, no doubt. His problem is progressing through his reads and making quick decisions. On top of that, he's not good at extending plays with his feet. That combination absolutely hurt us......even in games we won. Watching the tape of the Michigan game, for instance, he missed some wide open WRs and instead went to his checkdown -- a common theme for him. It just never clicked for him.

But he could make some tremendous throws.

Howard probably doesn't have all the same arm talent, but is much better at extending plays and better at going through progressions. And he'll have a WR corps that he's never had.........or anything close to it.

Rumors flying that O'Brien may land Julian Sayin (who he recruited to Bama). Sayin is entering the portal today -- he's an early enrollee at Bama. If that happens, Howard is going to have competition, because Sayin is dynamite.

Again, I'm not doing this out of defense of PSU, because OSU has been Franklin's daddy for the last decade. I'll believe it when I see it as far as PSU being notable competition for the BIG championship next season.

But you're wearing some serious scarlet and grey sunglasses in your assessment. Ryan Day as a CEO type? His play calling is literally his one redeeming quality- anything else (besides recruiting) is average. If Franklin is bad against top ten teams, what's that make Day? And BOB is now the play calling savior? He was hated in Tuscaloosa, and he coached up the worst offense in the NFL last year. Not denying his football mind, but he's been pretty disappointing with play calling duties outside of a handful of seasons with Tom Brady.

OSU's offensive line was bad this past season, and what will make it any better this year? The better competition on the schedule, OSU will become completely one dimensional again - PSU, Michigan, Iowa, Georgia in the postseason. Best RB duo in the country? Seriously, that's laughable. Henderson has been a shadow of his freshman season, and his best days are far in the past because of his injuries. Judkins? We just faced him in a bowl and the second team defense erased him. He's nothing more than Miyan Williams or any of your other depth pieces these past few years. OSU over payed with NIL for an above average SEC RB. Egbuka was not healthy, but he was still graded out as a 3-4th rounder, he's not Harrison JR.

I won't ever argue against the talent and depth Hardline puts together in that WR room. But to think there won't be a step back with a generational talent like MHJR leaving, you'll be mistaken. He single handily won games. McCord was and is average, but was completely saved by Marv on multiple occasions. Will Howard isn't more talented than McCord by any stretch, and he won't have the security blanket of someone like Marv.

Did you actually watch Henderson the last half of the season? Honest question. He was among the most explosive RBs in the country from late October on.. You pair that with Judkins who is a bruiser, and that combination is something that hardly anybody will have.

Tre's last 5 regular season games (in terms of yardage): 162, 128, 63, 146, and 60 (against an elite Michigan run defense). He absolutely saved our ass when our passing game went to hell against Wisconsin and Rutgers.

Nothing more than Miyan Williams? LOL. That's quite the hot take. Williams was banged up a lot last year, but averaged 3.2 ypc to Henderson's 6. And he struggled as a receiver out of the backfield. A great short yardage guy and a warrior, but there's a reason why his NFL draft projections don't even sniff Henderson's.

The OL will be the obvious question mark. But as backs, those two guys are terrific.

Rumors flying that O'Brien may land Julian Sayin (who he recruited to Bama). Sayin is entering the portal today -- he's an early enrollee at Bama. If that happens, Howard is going to have competition, because Sayin is dynamite.
Question......why in the world would Sayin even consider OSU with 5-star Noland and that 2025 5-star - can't remember his name - on board. I think a place like Michigan - or maybe PSU with Allar having a couple of years left - would make more sense.

I appreciate what he did for PSU at the worst possible time imaginable. However, he never was going to stay here for an extended period even under the best of circumstances.
I don’t think he will be at Ohio State long either. Two years tops then back to the NFL. My question would be more why he didn’t get an offensive coordinator job at the NFL level after Belichick left New England.

Question......why in the world would Sayin even consider OSU with 5-star Noland and that 2025 5-star - can't remember his name - on board. I think a place like Michigan - or maybe PSU with Allar having a couple of years left - would make more sense.

OSU was always one of Sayin's top choices. We slowed on him when we got Raiola and then after Raiola bolted it was clear that Sayin was a Bama lean. So we pivoted to Noland. The mutual interest was always there.

But more pertinent to this, it was O'Brien who recruited Sayin to Bama. Some are speculating that Day picked BoB in part to get Sayin. No idea if true, but there's logic to it.

If you're Sayin and you get beat out by Noland (or somebody else) next season, then easy......hit the portal and go wherever you want ala Quinn Ewers. But if you compete and win, you're QB at OSU with a bunch of 5* WRs. Win win.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him land at USC, but both Tom Loy and Wiltfong are suggesting Sayin to OSU. I guess we'll see.

Maybe he is waiting for the Alabama or new england
head coaching jobs to open up. Sarcasm

His problem is he is a prima dona. He does not get along with any of his superiors at any of his jobs. If he simply waited one year he would have been in line for the bama job.
He still wouldn't have gotten the Bama job. Most coaches don't get along with their superiors if we're being truthful.

Unless Will Howard is Justin Fields or CJ Stroud OSU offense will be really strong but not fantastic. This is an interesting hire. When Day had Fields and Stroud and Michigan didn't they dominated. The last couple seasons Michigan had McCarthy and Day was stuck with McCord different results. BOB is more pro-style than RPO. OSU has been built more for RPO so we'll see. Unfortunately with or without BOB I still see them being better than PSU
If McCord would have had Michigan's running game it seems that he would have looked just as good as McCathy.

OSU has the RB's for a better running game. BOB needs his OL coach to step up.

You're concentrating on the QBs and, yes, they're a big part. But if you followed the B1G and OSU, they're biggest issue was their sub-OSU standard OL and it showed up bigtime in the Michigan game especially on that last OSU possession when OSU was driving for the winning TD and McCord was intercepted when his protection broke down. No QB will be a big-time success if he doesn't have a solid OL in front of him and that includes Fields and Stroud
And Allar for that matter!

Reactions: rrdd2021
Holy crap. Some 247 CBs coming in for 2024 Alabama 5-star decommit QB Sayin to OSU and many on their boards are claiming it's because of his relationship with O'Brien which doesn't make sense because BOB has been in the NFL the last few years - correct ? And all of this is with transfer Will Howard and 2024 5-star Air Noland already on board with some kid named St Clair coming in 2025. None of this makes any sense as he would probably be better at a place like Michigan who is getting wiped out and has basically zero experience in their 2024 QBs.

That OSU NIL machine has to be in high gear especially with all of the high-round, OSU NFL draft picks now returning for 2024. To be honest, I'm beginning to lose interest in CF more and more every day with all of this crap going on. But, I guess that's just the way it is now - like it or not

Holy crap. Some 247 CBs coming in for 2024 Alabama 5-star decommit QB Sayin to OSU and many on their boards are claiming it's because of his relationship with O'Brien which doesn't make sense because BOB has been in the NFL the last few years - correct ? And all of this is with transfer Will Howard and 2024 5-star Air Noland already on board with some kid named St Clair coming in 2025. None of this makes any sense as he would probably be better at a place like Michigan who is getting wiped out and has basically zero experience in their 2024 QBs.

That OSU NIL machine has to be in high gear especially with all of the high-round, OSU NFL draft picks now returning for 2024. To be honest, I'm beginning to lose interest in CF more and more every day with all of this crap going on. But, I guess that's just the way it is now - like it or not

Sayin committed to Alabama when BoB was the OC in late 2022. This isn't really an NIL recruitment from what I've heard.

Word is that Sayin is OSU bound if Ryan Day wants him, but OSU insiders are reporting that Day and the staff aren't sure if they want to go that route. Could upset existing chemistry, particularly with Air Noland already committed in that class and other young QBs on the roster.

I don't know what the right answer is, but Day has a big decision to make one way or the other. As an OSU fan, I'm hoping Day pushes for Sayin. If there are ramifications, we deal with those later. Last thing we need is for Sayin to go to USC and become a Heisman caliber QB in our own conference.

Sayin committed to Alabama when BoB was the OC in late 2022. This isn't really an NIL recruitment from what I've heard.

Word is that Sayin is OSU bound if Ryan Day wants him, but OSU insiders are reporting that Day and the staff aren't sure if they want to go that route. Could upset existing chemistry, particularly with Air Noland already committed in that class and other young QBs on the roster.

I don't know what the right answer is, but Day has a big decision to make one way or the other. As an OSU fan, I'm hoping Day pushes for Sayin. If there are ramifications, we deal with those later. Last thing we need is for Sayin to go to USC and become a Heisman caliber QB in our own conference.
Yeah, just read an article on 247 saying that it's more about his relationship with O Brien and not so much NIL but you can bet he'll get something if he ends up at OSU. This is a tough one for Day - does he upset the chemistry in the QB room? Bringing Sayin on board could also push 2025 commit St Clair away. Not sure Sayin is worth all of this

Right, since all coaches keep the previous OC when they take a new job...the turnover had nothing to do with it.
Yeah that must be it. The fact that the Patriots averaged less than 14 points per game didn’t have a damn thing to do with it I guess. Some coaches do keep coaches and coordinators from the previous regime, but only good ones.

Ohio State is a better team than last year's Patriots.
LOL. Yet another idiotic post claiming that a college team, even the National Champion, could beat a bad NFL team. The worst NFL team would kick the best college team’s ass every damn time.

Yeah, just read an article on 247 saying that it's more about his relationship with O Brien and not so much NIL but you can bet he'll get something if he ends up at OSU. This is a tough one for Day - does he upset the chemistry in the QB room? Bringing Sayin on board could also push 2025 commit St Clair away. Not sure Sayin is worth all of this

What would Nick Saban do? Probably grab the #1 QB, encourage the QB battle of all battles, and ride the winner to a championship. The loser transfers to FSU and goes on to have a nice career. No hard feelings.

I'm hoping that's Day's approach, but us fans are also not privy to whether Day promised Noland or St. Clair that he wouldn't take another 2024/2025 QB. If he made such a promise, then I hope he honors his word. For better or worse, Day has never shown that Saban-level ruthlessness.

(I'm skeptical it disrupts QB room chemistry too much seeing as though Noland has been on campus for 2 weeks and St. Clair is a 2025 kid anyway. Presumably the Sayin/Noland loser transfers, and St. Clair is next man up. One of Brown/Kienholz would definitely bolt in the spring, but that's life. Good kids, but not on Sayin's level as a QB prospect)

I didn't compare them to OSU.

Since you brought it up I will play. How about YOU compare he psu talent in 2012/2013 to Ohio bobcats, Virginia, CFU, Nebraska, Indiana and Minnesota,
Well, those others team all had more established OLs and DLs, not a mishmash of lineman like PSU.

Well, those others team all had more established OLs and DLs, not a mishmash of lineman like PSU.
False.

2012 was not a mishmash of an ol. 2011 psu led the big in fewest sacks.

the mismash OL was 2014 and 2015 with 2 dts starting on the ol and a Juco who was not ready.

2012 was smith, diefenbach stankowitch, Urschel and Farrell. They also had depth with mangiro, ty Howell, Greiss and shive.

In 2015 the back up tackle was the starting center.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT