ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Upsets??

Another very famous upset in the NCAA finals happened in none other than Rec Hall in 1968. Dwayne Keller from Ok State beat Rick Sanders 4-2 at 123 lbs. Sanders was heavily favored to win his 3rd NCAA title, but Keller managed to win. I was there, so I definitely remember that one.

Also, in the very next match, Dan Gable won his first NCAA title. I wonder how many HR pundits are aware that Gable's first national championship was in Rec Hall. Seems to be a certain irony in that.

Another very famous upset in the NCAA finals happened in none other than Rec Hall in 1968. Dwayne Keller from Ok State beat Rick Sanders 4-2 at 123 lbs. Sanders was heavily favored to win his 3rd NCAA title, but Keller managed to win. I was there, so I definitely remember that one.

Also, in the very next match, Dan Gable won his first NCAA title. I wonder how many HR pundits are aware that Gable's first national championship was in Rec Hall. Seems to be a certain irony in that.

An historical note--Sanders wrestled in the 1972 Olympics and won a silver medal, if I remember right. Later on that summer (I believe) he was traveling through Europe and was tragically killed in a car accident.

Reactions: Dogwelder
An historical note--Sanders wrestled in the 1972 Olympics and won a silver medal, if I remember right. Later on that summer (I believe) he was traveling through Europe and was tragically killed in a car accident.
Also won Silver at the 1968 Olympics. I remember watching youtube videos of his bouts, he was a little dynamo … 57kg, I believe.

Reactions: tomsc
Oh, ok. Black and White youtube. that makes sense. Good wrestling, thanks for sharing! Nasty spladle.
I've seen more than the two I linked. He was dominant, with multiple falls, until the Gold Medal matches. I was a teenager during the 1968 and 1972 Olympics, and somehow remembered his name, looking him up years later.

I've seen more than the two I linked. He was dominant, with multiple falls, until the Gold Medal matches. I was a teenager during the 1968 and 1972 Olympics, and somehow remembered his name, looking him up years later.

I was there in Munich in 1972. A friend and I managed to sneak in to see the Gold medal matches the same night that Gable won. We even bumped into him at the back of the gym and talked to him a little bit about 45 minutes before he beat the Russian for the Gold medal. We didn't get to see Sanders Gold medal match. That had happened the previous evening. However, I did see him with the other US wrestlers. I thought that he looked like a leprechaun with his hair and beard!

Another cool thing that happened is that I saw Alexander Medved standing by himself after he won his 3rd Gold medal. I walked over and shook his hand and gave him my congratulations. Remember, this was when the USSR was still the Evil Empire, so that was a pretty big deal. Medved was to the Russian people the equivalent of what someone like Tom Brady is in the US today.

I was there in Munich in 1972. A friend and I managed to sneak in to see the Gold medal matches the same night that Gable won. We even bumped into him at the back of the gym and talked to him a little bit about 45 minutes before he beat the Russian for the Gold medal. We didn't get to see Sanders Gold medal match. That had happened the previous evening. However, I did see him with the other US wrestlers. I thought that he looked like a leprechaun with his hair and beard!

Another cool thing that happened is that I saw Alexander Medved standing by himself after he won his 3rd Gold medal. I walked over and shook his hand and gave him my congratulations. Remember, this was when the USSR was still the Evil Empire, so that was a pretty big deal. Medved was to the Russian people the equivalent of what someone like Tom Brady is in the US today.

Medved was deflating the opponents balls??

Honestly, great story, jealous here!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT