ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Upsets??

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
A couple of the threads on this forum got me thinking about upsets. My question is, "what are your most memorable wrestling upsets?". By memorable, I mean the biggest … where a significant, and highly, highly favored guy lost.

An internet search provided one person's top three, so they'll surely be on some lists (I can provide them later), and I'm sure there will be some PSU emphasis (Conaway & Lynch, for example).

I'm good with English (stage was the biggest and it brought a team title along with it) and Conaway. Zain I'll have to force in. Vollrath gets honorable mention.

But, yeah, Gardner's win over Karelin will probably never be topped by anyone, anywhere.

All good. None of the top-3 (per one person's opinion in 2017) mentioned yet ...

It’s painful to remember, but David Taylor was highly favored in our minds over Bubba.
A good one, though not a huge upset. Painful? Maybe more so for fans. DT learned a lot from the loss, after initial disappointment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
This doesn't meet Roar's criteria, but I still get goosebumps thinking about Quentin taking out the "Killer". I should have known better, but I didn't think he could do it.

Freshman Nickal knocking off #1 Realbuto in the Scuffle semis was pretty special, too. Sort of a coming out moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: liex26
Some mentioned don't quite meet the standard or threshold that was asked for.

Dan Gable was a prohibitive favorite over Larry Owings.
Bo Nickal was #2 seed to Gabe Dean's #1.
DT was #3 seed to Jenkin's #4.
Jordan Conaway was an unranked RSFR, against #3 Tyler Graff.

As examples, two of those are not like the others AND the Gable upset stands out even against the Conaway /Graff example.

Rohn pinning Lambrecht. He was down 14-3. I don't recall the seedings or if it was a huge upset in that regard.

Reactions: danoftw
Some mentioned don't quite meet the standard or threshold that was asked for.

Dan Gable was a prohibitive favorite over Larry Owings.
Bo Nickal was #2 seed to Gabe Dean's #1.
DT was #3 seed to Jenkin's #4.
Jordan Conaway was an unranked RSFR, against #3 Tyler Graff.

As examples, two of those are not like the others AND the Gable upset stands out even against the Conaway /Graff example.
Roar, you are cheating! :)

Owings was the #2 seed to Gable’s #1 seed! If you are going to count the expectations in people’s heads for Gable/Owing, then we should count Bubba/Taylor and Nickal/Dean the same way. (Not to mention Cenzo/IMar.)

The better thing to do is probably to disqualify Gable/Owing also, for being an unfit answer.

See: https://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA 1970.pdf

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT