ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Upsets??

Owings was Jr. when he beat Gable. He wrestled NCAA's at 130 as a So., and lost his 3rd match. Owings ended up 87-4 and a 2x NCAA finalist. Pretty good career for such a huge underdog vs. Gable.

Not correct. Owings was a 3X NCAA finalist. He beat Gable in 1970, lost to Darrell Keller in 1971 and lost to Tom Milkovich in 1972. He wrestled as a freshman in the 1969 NCAA championships and got to the quarterfinals. I don't remember when the rules were changed allowing freshmen to wrestle, but he did get to compete for 4 years.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Not correct. Owings was a 3X NCAA finalist. He beat Gable in 1970, lost to Darrell Keller in 1971 and lost to Tom Milkovich in 1972. He wrestled as a freshman in the 1969 NCAA championships and got to the quarterfinals. I don't remember when the rules were changed allowing freshmen to wrestle, but he did get to compete for 4 years.
In all sports except football and basketball, freshmen were eligible starting in 1968 I believe.

What I would consider a recent upset with huge consequences was when Moore got decked the 2nd Time by Conel.
Shame on you the first time, shame on me the second time.

This doesn't meet Roar's criteria, but I still get goosebumps thinking about Quentin taking out the "Killer". I should have known better, but I didn't think he could do it.

Freshman Nickal knocking off #1 Realbuto in the Scuffle semis was pretty special, too. Sort of a coming out moment.
This is why I will miss the scuffle. Often times it's an announcement party for our freshmen, letting the wrestling world know they are coming for them.

For me, this was one of my favorites.

2010 Southern Scuffle
Freshman Ed Ruth whoopin' not just #2 but also #1 back to back to keep PSU tied with Cornell.
Sure, we all knew he would be good, but this is where he showed us how good!

What I would consider a recent upset with huge consequences was when Moore got decked the 2nd Time by Conel.
Shame on you the first time, shame on me the second time.
Slight correction. Conel pinned Moore in the quarterfinals, but the score was 5-3 in the match for 3rd place.

You have to make it somewhat realistic. Your alternate ending never happens in real life.
Well, the alternate ending where Godzilla crushes Bambi happens almost all the time in real life. It’s in the movies that it somehow keeps getting avoided. ;) #frodobeatssauronyeahright

Reactions: danoftw
There is another big upset that nobody here has mentioned. Penn State beat Miami 14-10 in the 1987 Fiesta Bowl! (Yeah, I know, wrong sport. But how many PSU alum could ever forget that one?)

Reactions: JUBAN and Gebmo
There is another big upset that nobody here has mentioned. Penn State beat Miami 14-10 in the 1987 Fiesta Bowl! (Yeah, I know, wrong sport. But how many PSU alum could ever forget that one?)
I remember, my first bowl game as an alumni, but I did not consider it an upset, I always knew they could win!

I honestly thought Bo would pin him going into the finals the way Bo was wrestling that tournament. Dean was way too strong, skilled and tactically sound for that to happen.
One of the best wrestled match I have seen in a while. Just felt Bo was going to find a way to win and wrestled very smart. Love that match

I'm not sure I remember anything correctly any more, but....
the headline in the CDT sports section consisted of two words.

GABLE LOSES

Don't think I have ever seen that before or since

Regardless of seeds, that is the biggie in college.
Schalles over Chatman in high school, with DeSanto over Lee a nice 2nd.
Biggest upset I saw in high school involved an eventual Penn state wrestler. Jason Betz was a three time PIAA champion and undefeated in his career. Got caught in the quarterfinals in a spladdle and pinned. Came back to take third but you could have heard a pin drop in Hershey that day. He was pinned ten seconds before the ref slapped the mat.

I won a lot of money on that game lol

Biggest upset I saw in high school involved an eventual Penn state wrestler. Jason Betz was a three time PIAA champion and undefeated in his career. Got caught in the quarterfinals in a spladdle and pinned. Came back to take third but you could have heard a pin drop in Hershey that day. He was pinned ten seconds before the ref slapped the mat.
Mentioned this earlier in thread. I was there and missed it. Heard some gasps and asked my buddy what happened. He said Betz got decked. I looked and saw him running off the arena floor. Lengle from Pine Richland pinned him in semis and lost to Makel in the finals. Makel came down to 125 for Betz after winning a title at 130 the year before. Betz had a loss his freshman year, can't remember who beat him.

How about Ashley Swift moving all the way up to heavyweight in the Oklahoma match and then upsetting Dr Death Williams for the PSU win in the early 80s?

Mentioned this earlier in thread. I was there and missed it. Heard some gasps and asked my buddy what happened. He said Betz got decked. I looked and saw him running off the arena floor. Lengle from Pine Richland pinned him in semis and lost to Makel in the finals. Makel came down to 125 for Betz after winning a title at 130 the year before. Betz had a loss his freshman year, can't remember who beat him.
Betz did not lose his freshman year I watched every match he wrestled he went into senior year with the opportunity to match lolat with undefeated four time champion. Bait from BEN almost beat him a couple times

Pa-wrestling.com shows him losing his first match as a freshman to Glenn Miller of Mifflinburg 3-2 on 2/28/92. They show him as 147-2.

http://www.pa-wrestling.com/hs/teams/warriorrun/athlete_stats.htm?id=95269
That wouldn't be his first match, it would be the first match they have a score for.

It was at either sectionals or districts (can't remember which).

That's a tremendous resource, glad to see it coted. The one caution is that recent records are much more complete than past records.

That wouldn't be his first match, it would be the first match they have a score for.

That's a tremendous resource, glad to see it coted. The one caution is that recent records are much more complete than past records.
That's crazy and must be a mistake. I mean I could be wrong but I watched every match his entire freshman year and I'm pretty sure he was undefeated. Like I said I could be wrong. Either way his freshman year at states was tough and he mowed through some tough kids. Always hoped that would have transferred to college but never really did

Anyone remember Bobby Simpson from warrior run. He used to beat the Hughes boys at districts and regionals then lose to them at states. Hell of a wrestler. Took second at states four consecutive years

Anyone remember Bobby Simpson from warrior run. He used to beat the Hughes boys at districts and regionals then lose to them at states. Hell of a wrestler. Took second at states four consecutive years
Do they have stats on how many consecitive years district four had at least two state champions I remember that being a big deal once

I remember him well -- was a real thorn in our side.

Might want to re-check the records. He never faced a Hughes at states. Two of his state finals losses were to Tim Casey from W-B Meyers. I had to look it up to remember who that was ... but I did remember him getting beat pretty soundly twice, which was shocking considering how good he was against everybody else.

Not college but Garder over Karelin in the Olympics
Rulon has achieved the pinnacle of sport, among many other life triumphs.

As I was coming of age and really getting into Greco, watching that match was a pretty big letdown. Thank god we don't have that ruleset now.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see mentioned freshman G Dean beating, at the time, undefeated two time national champ senior Ed Ruth.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see mentioned freshman G Dean beating, at the time, undefeated two time national champ senior Ed Ruth.
I saw that one in Chattanooga. Ed looked very tired (more than his usual laconic demeanor) and he didn’t seem in good shape. Wake up call!

Rashad Evans vs Greg Jones
1992 olympic trials John Fisher beating John Smith.
Freshman Morningstar beating Trent Paulson
Freshman Joe Johnston vs Luke Becker
1 time Mark Perry got his ass kicked in a dual vs a guy ive never heard of old dominion iirc also vs diefenbach of ok st
Marianetti Mcilravy
Donahue vs Hazewinkell
Osenbaugh Lou Banach
18 year old lee kemp vs dan gable 1976
Larry Quisel handing TJ Williams his only career loss as a hawkeye
Illinois' 8 seed Carl Perry beating doug schwab mark angle and michael lightner too win ncaa 2000

1978 unseeded Andy Daniels beats Gene Mills and John Azevado 118 lbs champ
1994 unseeded freshman Mark Branch ok st wins 167 lbs
Also Jessie Whitmer and Stewart Carter(iowa state 1987 158lbs) were 1 year starters that won it all

Last edited:
A couple of the threads on this forum got me thinking about upsets. My question is, "what are your most memorable wrestling upsets?". By memorable, I mean the biggest … where a significant, and highly, highly favored guy lost.

An internet search provided one person's top three, so they'll surely be on some lists (I can provide them later), and I'm sure there will be some PSU emphasis (Conaway & Lynch, for example).

Ray Frantz over Lance Leonhardt (ranked #2 or #3, Lehigh) around 1978

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT