ADVERTISEMENT

Big boy move by Franklin

africamurphy

Apr 1, 2019
I know we all have our worries that Franklin, and not the litany of OCs, is the problem. But at the very least this was a smart CEO move. The fan base is at an all-time fever pitch while the program is seemingly on the cusp of turning the corner. It could VERY easily lose that edge this off-season with a few devastating transfers (think Allen, Singleton, or even #15).

Nothing Yurcich could do would improve that this off-season. Could he lure in a solid OL or WR or two…? Probably. But the offense needs MORE than that…and then we’re still left with a decent not good OC.

This is what big time programs do. They don’t accept mediocrity. Hiring Yurcich was an upgrade from Rahne and then Ciarrocco…but he didn’t produce. So now we need another upgrade. And with that “hope” and hype will extend our window on this Allar/Singleton/Allen window on offensive potential.

Who knows what went on behind the scenes with Yurcich…but this looks like a swift and decisive move by Franklin that communicates that 10-2 is not good enough at Penn State. And that should keep the key pieces of the offense around for another year and hopefully it’ll be a pro style coordinator which will accentuate the skills of Allar and then Grunk in 2 or 3 years.

I know we all have our worries that Franklin, and not the litany of OCs, is the problem. But at the very least this was a smart CEO move. The fan base is at an all-time fever pitch while the program is seemingly on the cusp of turning the corner. It could VERY easily lose that edge this off-season with a few devastating transfers (think Allen, Singleton, or even #15).

Nothing Yurcich could do would improve that this off-season. Could he lure in a solid OL or WR or two…? Probably. But the offense needs MORE than that…and then we’re still left with a decent not good OC.

This is what big time programs do. They don’t accept mediocrity. Hiring Yurcich was an upgrade from Rahne and then Ciarrocco…but he didn’t produce. So now we need another upgrade. And with that “hope” and hype will extend our window on this Allar/Singleton/Allen window on offensive potential.

Who knows what went on behind the scenes with Yurcich…but this looks like a swift and decisive move by Franklin that communicates that 10-2 is not good enough at Penn State. And that should keep the key pieces of the offense around for another year and hopefully it’ll be a pro style coordinator which will accentuate the skills of Allar and then Grunk in 2 or 3 years.
This is a "CEO" who should be canned by the Board of Directors as opposed to the CEO canning the VP of Marketing every two years. This big boy move is an example of a smooth politician who looks to cover his a$$ but actually never delivers results that really matter.

Because of the absurdity and incompetence of people like Sandy Barbour we are stuck with Franklin for another 4-5 years. No matter what kind of lipstick you try to put on this pig it still is an ugly pig. Clearly the problem rests with Franklin. I'm not saying Yurcich should not have been ousted but the common denominator through this sh## show run of 4-16 versus Ohio State and Michigan is Franklin. He is ultimately accountable and is incapable of delivering winning results versus elite competition despite a roster loaded with elite players.

So dress it up like some "big boy" move and give him an atta boy but that does not change the facts that he simply is never getting Penn State to an elite level. I cannot believe people cannot see that. We have to address the core problem or we will continue to see this bad movie of a team being bullied on both lines of scrimmage while having a hapless, clueless offensive game plan with no imagination or innovation.

This is a "CEO" who should be canned by the Board of Directors as opposed to the CEO canning the VP of Marketing every two years. This big boy move is an example of a smooth politician who looks to cover his a$$ but actually never delivers results that really matter.

Because of the absurdity and incompetence of people like Sandy Barbour we are stuck with Franklin for another 4-5 years. No matter what kind of lipstick you try to put on this pig it still is an ugly pig. Clearly the problem rests with Franklin. I'm not saying Yurcich should not have been ousted but the common denominator through this sh## show run of 4-16 versus Ohio State and Michigan is Franklin. He is ultimately accountable and is incapable of delivering winning results versus elite competition despite a roster loaded with elite players.

So dress it up like some "big boy" move and give him an atta boy but that does not change the facts that he simply is never getting Penn State to an elite level. I cannot believe people cannot see that. We have to address the core problem or we will continue to see this bad movie of a team being bullied on both lines of scrimmage while having a hapless, clueless offensive game plan with no imagination or innovation.
Nothing new here.

Not going to disagree with the idea that JF is the thread behind the issues. However, every time I read these “he must go” storylines I am left wondering to be replaced by who? Who is missing in this formula to be the next Saban? Very very very few can pull that off and it’s an expensive thing to switch it up all the time to try to find the solution. As a fiduciary to the school, the BoT need to ask about the financial payoff scenarios to each alternative but one has to have viable alternatives. Who are they and with what probabilities and timelines?

To be fair, anyone coming in has a BIG advantage next year with competing for 12 slots instead of four.

Reactions: JoeParulz
Not going to disagree with the idea that JF is the thread behind the issues. However, every time I read these “he must go” storylines I am left wondering to be replaced by who? Who is missing in this formula to be the next Saban? Very very very few can pull that off and it’s an expensive thing to switch it up all the time to try to find the solution. As a fiduciary to the school, the BoT need to ask about the financial payoff scenarios to each alternative but one has to have viable alternatives. Who are they and with what probabilities and timelines?

To be fair, anyone coming in has a BIG advantage next year with competing for 12 slots instead of four.
Did you watch the games vs OSU and then that 2nd embarrassment vs Michigan? There are coaches that easily can do what Franklin is doing and then even more. Of course, the bureaucrats running the show in University Park will do nothing except count the TV money and say good job James for beating teams a high school coach could with our talent.

Probabilities, timelines, what are you talking about? Could a new guy come in and be worse than Franklin? Is that what you are wondering on the probability? Yes, of course it could happen but it is a good risk to take as see it as about 33%. If The Texas A&M AD days they are stuck in neutral then we certainly are too. Timelines, well the morons know the timeline based on his stupid contract. So unless we get a billionaire who says wake the eff up to these administrators and says here is $70 million and now I'm hiring a search committee to find the best coach possible and pay him what an elite coach expects, nothing changes for at least 5 years.

We need to get back to power football that prioritizes physical line play along with toughness. Franklin's teams are soft, soft soft and there is no disputing that. We need to get input from the most well regarded PSU lettermen and set some high level goals of what we want the Penn State football brand and identity to be. It ain't soft and it ain't shrinking in every big game.

Did you watch the games vs OSU and then that 2nd embarrassment vs Michigan? There are coaches that easily can do what Franklin is doing and then even more. Of course, the bureaucrats running the show in University Park will do nothing except count the TV money and say good job James for beating teams a high school coach could with our talent.

Probabilities, timelines, what are you talking about? Could a new guy come in and be worse than Franklin? Is that what you are wondering on the probability? Yes, of course it could happen but it is a good risk to take as see it as about 33%. If The Texas A&M AD days they are stuck in neutral then we certainly are too. Timelines, well the morons know the timeline based on his stupid contract. So unless we get a billionaire who says wake the eff up to these administrators and says here is $70 million and now I'm hiring a search committee to find the best coach possible and pay him what an elite coach expects, nothing changes for at least 5 years.

We need to get back to power football that prioritizes physical line play along with toughness. Franklin's teams are soft, soft soft and there is no disputing that. We need to get input from the most well regarded PSU lettermen and set some high level goals of what we want the Penn State football brand and identity to be. It ain't soft and it ain't shrinking in every big game.
You feel wounded?

Did you watch all the games...any other than OSU and UM? The handcuffs Yurcich put on Allar in making him play dink and dunk with a fear based goal never throwing an interception was absurd. It was a wasted year of development. What top level qb doesn't throw a int from time to time.

Singleton with his speed and power... Slow him down with a delayed hand off RPO that looks more like a waltz than football.

All you Johnny one notes focus on are the bonehead 4th and short calls at the wrong time and place. I agree those are horrible and have to go but even without those idiotic calls WTH did Yurcich do as OC and QB coach do to develop and use his best assets? Development under his leadership was measurable to the left side of zero.

I think you should ask everyone of the other PSU coaches if they lobbied for Yurcich to go? Unanimous is the word that would come to the fore.

All you Johnny one notes focus on are the bonehead 4th and short calls at the wrong time and place. I agree those are horrible and have to go but even without those idiotic calls WTH did Yurcich do as OC and QB coach do to develop and use his best assets? Development under his leadership was measurable to the left side of zero.

I think you should ask everyone of the other PSU coaches if they lobbied for Yurcich to go? Unanimous is the word that would come to the fore.
An HC needs/wants an OC who is gonna give him plays that work on 4th and short, seems to me. The rest of the coaches, and the team, would probably like that, too.

As a fan, and speaking only for myself, I would also like to have an OC who is gonna give the HC 4th and short plays that are gonna work.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

I watched it all and am in agreement that many decent coaches could get the same level of results. My point is that I sit on boards. And we have to make these go-no go decisions all the time and they are incredibly difficult when you have a sense of stability for what you have already and want to step up. It takes a ton of work to find people who have any evidence they can compete at the level you want. It takes a ton of money to do the recruiting--forget about the relocation and compensation if they move. Just recruiting sinks a ton of money. So, there is always a lot of debate around the "is this worth it and can we get more validation of the payoff of the risky move?" unless the move is obvious (like a scandal).

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I watched it all and am in agreement that many decent coaches could get the same level of results. My point is that I sit on boards. And we have to make these go-no go decisions all the time and they are incredibly difficult when you have a sense of stability for what you have already and want to step up. It takes a ton of work to find people who have any evidence they can compete at the level you want. It takes a ton of money to do the recruiting--forget about the relocation and compensation if they move. Just recruiting sinks a ton of money. So, there is always a lot of debate around the "is this worth it and can we get more validation of the payoff of the risky move?" unless the move is obvious (like a scandal).
This is also why anyone who complains should be responsible for offering tangible and actionable suggestions. I agree that the AD should be scouting the landscape and keep a short leash. I would probably--if on the board--recommend one more year with the new OC and retaining Manny at any price and the 12 team openings, to see what happens. It's the least expensive path and may pay off--at least to get better visibility into who makes the 12 (to potentially hire away as replacement, for example). I hope this makes sense. I'm not going against your perspective. I'm just the kind of guy who hears this stuff but then has to make the call on whether and how to do it. To be clear, I'm not on, and never have been on, the PSU BOT.

there's a lot of "things" going on right now in Kraft's department...forget the other sports - most of which need funds - and stick with football. NIL, stadium upgrades, salaries, Franklin,....football needs and makes money. Kraft is juggling a lot of balls right now and every decision has a likely equal and opposite trade off.

But PSU football has been through this before....2012-2016!!! Nobody thought the program would stabilize so quickly after the Sandusky scandal, but it did. People will continue to buy season tickets - even after prices go up again and again. So far, the university has been happy with 10-2/9-3, we bitched back then and we bitch now about the same record...and we actually beat OSU and michigan back then.

Kraft will be a better AD than Sandy......he'd better be...there's a lot of mountains on his horizon

Reactions: aworsnup

totally agree. USC just fired their DC and tOSU's Day fired his DC last year. Michigan has gone through several coordinators in recent years.

My question is, what can the new OC change this season? He is stuck with what he has with the exception of play calling and personnel to play in different packages. I am not sure this is the right offense for Allar. And if not Allar, who?

At least the next two weeks will be interesting.

totally agree. USC just fired their DC and tOSU's Day fired his DC last year. Michigan has gone through several coordinators in recent years.

My question is, what can the new OC change this season? He is stuck with what he has with the exception of play calling and personnel to play in different packages. I am not sure this is the right offense for Allar. And if not Allar, who?

I also feel the next few weeks will be super interesting. Do you think that Seider could be a serious candidate? I know the two games are not great barometers of his ability, but if Allar looks completely different and more confident under Seider and the offense is humming, perhaps he is a consideration.…

Reactions: bytir and ncgolfer
If you are going to succeed against OSU and UMich you must have physical toughness on OL and DL. JoePa won against those teams and the 1982/1986 championships because of toughness in the DL and OL and especially LB's. Ask Miami and ask Herschel Walker! It is so discouraging to see two great backs who cannot get into the second level and beyond when running. So often they are tackled at the line of scrimmage. That to me is lack of physical toughness and blocking schemes. Also did anyone see slants thrown over the middle or well-executed screen plays? I guess everyone else saw them and I was asleep.

Like with Lincoln Riley, this was a very smart move the deflect the heat for a little bit. The narrative around Franklin is changing so you find a scapegoat. Who he hires is way more important than this decision

I also feel the next few weeks will be super interesting. Do you think that Seider could be a serious candidate? I know the two games are not great barometers of his ability, but if Allar looks completely different and more confident under Seider and the offense is humming, perhaps he is a consideration.…
Well, his title would imply that he is a candidate. Assistant Head Coach/Co-Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs

first, our offense was good last year. What happened? The only real difference is at QB. And while Allar has struggled at times, our running game hasn't delivered. OL has been "OK" and WRs haven't panned out at all with the exception of KLS.

If the plan was to run the same exact offense with a QB that couldn't run as well that wasn't very smart.

And who knows what went on behind the scenes. Has there been disagreements all year? Did CJF try to step in and right the ship with MY? Was Seider chirping in CJF's ear? Did one of the parents go ballistic (Allar specifically)? Why not wait until the end of the year?

I know nothing but this feels like CJF went to MY and said it wasn't good enough and MY fired back. I was shocked that this happened mid-year. That doesn't feel like a CJF move. Even with MY, we probably win the next two games. We then have a month off until the bowl. We get through early signing period. Why now? Feels like there was an argument.

Reactions: ItsAllGoodMan
If you are going to succeed against OSU and UMich you must have physical toughness on OL and DL. JoePa won against those teams and the 1982/1986 championships because of toughness in the DL and OL and especially LB's. Ask Miami and ask Herschel Walker! It is so discouraging to see two great backs who cannot get into the second level and beyond when running. So often they are tackled at the line of scrimmage. That to me is lack of physical toughness and blocking schemes. Also did anyone see slants thrown over the middle or well-executed screen plays? I guess everyone else saw them and I was asleep.
This, I dont care who the coordinator is, if our backs and allar are going to continue to have defenders in their lap immediately, nobody will be successful. I saw one play where Kaytron was fighting for yards and our line just sort of played giggle push when it got scrumed up. That same situation happens at all levels all year and I see O-lineman running like bulls into the scrum and pushing with all their might.

What is unclear is the extent of Franklin's involvement in the game plans formulated for OSU and Michigan. Franklin has been super sensitive to the Qs about the lack of developing a long passing game, if just to open up the opponent's defense and its effects on the PSU run game.
Allar has an awesome arm and has shown accuracy in passing in the games that he has not been as restricted as he obviously was in the 2 big games.
I, for one, believe Franklin has stunted the passing game, as he did with Will Levis. Franklin has his scapegoat and the sad thing is Yursich probably will not respond in any meaningful way so as to relate what if any input Franklin had in formulating the run and dink game plans against OSU and Michigan.

Reactions: KCLion and Obliviax
Well, his title would imply that he is a candidate. Assistant Head Coach/Co-Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs

first, our offense was good last year. What happened? The only real difference is at QB. And while Allar has struggled at times, our running game hasn't delivered. OL has been "OK" and WRs haven't panned out at all with the exception of KLS.

If the plan was to run the same exact offense with a QB that couldn't run as well that wasn't very smart.

And who knows what went on behind the scenes. Has there been disagreements all year? Did CJF try to step in and right the ship with MY? Was Seider chirping in CJF's ear? Did one of the parents go ballistic (Allar specifically)? Why not wait until the end of the year?

I know nothing but this feels like CJF went to MY and said it wasn't good enough and MY fired back. I was shocked that this happened mid-year. That doesn't feel like a CJF move. Even with MY, we probably win the next two games. We then have a month off until the bowl. We get through early signing period. Why now? Feels like there was an argument.
I did not realize he had those other titles. Then he is a serious candidate. At this point, he has worked under several other OC’s here and elsewhere. Perhaps he is incorporating what he sees from each OC into his own philosophy. I particularly look forward to this weeks game as Rutgres has a pulse compared to MSU. Just maybe he’ll get Singleton out in space! MY could not figure out that one.

Reactions: ncgolfer
This is classless scapegoating by Franklin. Want to move on from Yurcich after the season? Ok. But doing it now shows no class, and reeks of deflecting blame.

This offense has been the same brand of finesse nonsense since Franklin got here. Not sure the OC will matter.

What is unclear is the extent of Franklin's involvement in the game plans formulated for OSU and Michigan. Franklin has been super sensitive to the Qs about the lack of developing a long passing game, if just to open up the opponent's defense and its effects on the PSU run game.
Allar has an awesome arm and has shown accuracy in passing in the games that he has not been as restricted as he obviously was in the 2 big games.
I, for one, believe Franklin has stunted the passing game, as he did with Will Levis. Franklin has his scapegoat and the sad thing is Yursich probably will not respond in any meaningful way so as to relate what if any input Franklin had in formulating the run and dink game plans against OSU and Michigan.
I don't know if all of that is true. CJF ran a high risk offense when McSorley was here. And while I have always been a fan of Levis, Clifford was a fine QB when healthy.

But I do wonder what input CJF had in the offense and what he expects to change in the next two weeks.

I thought the offense was very predictable this year. I am not sure our first down percentages but we have to run close to or over 90%. This was done to try and stay ahead of the sticks, we've been told. But if we don't make more than a yard or two, we are behind. You have to change it up a little at some point. Play calling is about the only thing a new OC can change at this point in the season. Maybe that's it. Or maybe MY and CJF got into a fist fight after the game.

To all of you who want to run Franklin out of town on a rail: Who is his replacement? Name names.
I don’t want to run him out of town but:

Mike Vrabel
Mike Elko
Brian Hartline
Matt Campbell
Matt Rhule
Manny Diaz
Eli Drinkwitz
Kalen Deboer

Dan Lanning would be my first choice but only way he probably leaves Oregon is for an SEC job. Rising star.

They certainly will be interesting. Personally, there are simple quick fixes to help the offense immediately in my mind. And I certainly could be wrong I've done that several times over 74 years.

What I would do until after the bowl game:

I would change the position where Nick Singleton starts in the backfield and eliminate delayed hand offs.

Traps would be use more frequently to give Nick a crack. He will do the rest.

The place they have for Katron Allen, would remain the same.

Play action off of them.

More TE passes.

And occasional student body right, or left.

And I would encourage A l l a r to throw deep without fear of an interception let them intercept in the end zone Who gives a crap with the defense we have.

That's it. Fundamental stuff using the strengths of the gifted athletes you have.

Mike Vrabel
Mike Elko
Brian Hartline
Matt Campbell
Matt Rhule
Manny Diaz
Eli Drinkwitz
Kalen Deboer

Dan Lanning would be my first choice but only way he probably leaves Oregon is for an SEC job. Rising star.
Matt Rhule?

Of that list, I think the only realistic choice is Manny. I don't see any top head coach leaving for PSU from Washington or Oregon. And last time I looked, I hadn't seen a Kalen Daboer or Mile Elko beating top-five teams.

I am not dismissing your comments or list. It is just that none of those coaches has taken a team to a college football playoff. Can they? Maybe. But they are just as big of a crap shoot as retaining CJF with a new OC.

They certainly will be interesting. Personally, there are simple quick fixes to help the offense immediately in my mind. And I certainly could be wrong I've done that several times over 74 years.

I would change the position where Nick Singleton starts in the backfield and eliminate delayed hand offs.

Play action off of them.

More TE passes.

And I would encourage A l l a r to throw deep without fear of an interception let them intercept in the end zone Who gives a crap with the defense we have.

That's it. Fundamental stuff using the strengths of the gifted athletes you have.
More first-down passes.

A little misdirection if that is an inside shovel pass to a TE or jet sweep. Maybe use a Cephas or McClain to get them going. I've seen teams run the RPO handoff with the RB taking the ball and immediately running back against the grain in a planned play. More TE passes in the seem. More slants.

We may have a major league WR problem. CJF really protects Allar and continues to defend his performance so, if that is true, one has to believe the miscommunications between Allar and the WRs is on the WRs.

Matt Rhule?

Of that list, I think the only realistic choice is Manny. I don't see any top head coach leaving for PSU from Washington or Oregon. And last time I looked, I hadn't seen a Kalen Daboer or Mile Elko beating top-five teams.

I am not dismissing your comments or list. It is just that none of those coaches has taken a team to a college football playoff. Can they? Maybe. But they are just as big of a crap shoot as retaining CJF with a new OC.
I agree.

I bet you have a framed picture of Woody Hayes hanging over your fireplace. C’mon now, fess up.

Mike Vrabel
Mike Elko
Brian Hartline
Matt Campbell
Matt Rhule
Manny Diaz
Eli Drinkwitz
Kalen Deboer

LOL. The Rhule suggestion is both predictable and laughable.

Play action off of them.

More TE passes.

Interesting move by Franklin. Unless you are on the sidelines no one knows to what extent Franklin is involved in the play calling. We do know that unlike Joe he is much more of a delegator. But as you point out whoever is calling the plays has been doing a lousy job. We’ll see how this pans out.

LOL. The Rhule suggestion is both predictable and laughable.
Rhule is a solid college coach. He inherited a mess from Scott Frost. He immediately improved their defense this year and would be bowl eligible minus the fact that they don’t have a QB. I would not prefer him over Franklin but he is a proven program builder. The fact that he failed in the NFL really means nothing. So did Urban, Spurrier and Holtz and Saban.

Rhule is a solid college coach. He inherited a mess from Scott Frost. He immediately improved their defense this year and would be bowl eligible minus the fact that they don’t have a QB. I would not prefer him over Franklin but he is a proven program builder. The fact that he failed in the NFL really means nothing. So did Urban, Spurrier and Holtz and Saban.
Agreed. He isn't a bad choice but isn't an upgrade.

Reactions: dbsteel

Mike Vrabel
Mike Elko
Brian Hartline
Matt Campbell
Matt Rhule
Manny Diaz
Eli Drinkwitz
Kalen Deboer

People have to stop with the Rhule/Diaz thinking

Vrabel would be interesting
Elko should be the first or second call after Urban who you don't have listed for some reason
Hartline is high risk--he's not Smart IMO
Campbell isn't what he was a few years ago
Pretty sure Drinkwitz is waiting for the Oklahoma job but that's a strong option as is DeBoer

People have to stop with the Rhule/Diaz thinking

Vrabel would be interesting
Elko should be the first or second call after Urban who you don't have listed for some reason
Hartline is high risk--he's not Smart IMO
Campbell isn't what he was a few years ago
Pretty sure Drinkwitz is waiting for the Oklahoma job but that's a strong option as is DeBoer
Unless God intervenes, CJF will be the head coach next year.

Reactions: step.eng69
Why are we pretending they "quickly improved this year"?
In what way are they improved?
Rhule isn't Spurrier or Saban--never even close
People like Rhule because of Penn State ties--nothing else.

Why are we pretending they "quickly improved this year"?
In what way are they improved?
Rhule isn't Spurrier or Saban--never even close
People like Rhule because of Penn State ties--nothing else.
Defense is significantly better and they are on the verge of bowl eligibility in year 1 which is something that hasn’t happened there for 8 years. Recruiting is going well.

We're not far off so maybe don't blow it up, be careful what you wish for. Need a good OC hire and then maybe Kraft can mandate to CJF he have a game manager and that he listen to him!

Defense is significantly better and they are on the verge of bowl eligibility in year 1 which is something that hasn’t happened there for 8 years. Recruiting is going well.
I'm sorry--they lost the last two weeks to Michigan State and Maryland. Do we want to discuss how bad those two teams are right now? Their best win is Northwestern or Illinois. 5-5 in the Big West is something literally everyone can achieve just by showing up. That's how bad the west is.

For the record--Nebraska lost AT HOME to Maryland

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing in his college coaching resume’ to suggest that Rhule would be an upgrade over Franklin. Can someone point out anything from Baylor to suggest that he is somehow beating OSU and UM each year at PSU? I just don’t see anything there to suggest that.

But as you point out whoever is calling the plays has been doing a lousy job.
This accurately distills the entire problem in one sentence. If you or someone else can find a viable sustaining solution that can be as clearly explained in one sentence, you or that person deserve half of Franklin’s salary. That would be money well spent.

• Haha
Reactions: step.eng69
I don't know if all of that is true. CJF ran a high risk offense when McSorley was here. And while I have always been a fan of Levis, Clifford was a fine QB when healthy.

But I do wonder what input CJF had in the offense and what he expects to change in the next two weeks.

I thought the offense was very predictable this year. I am not sure our first down percentages but we have to run close to or over 90%. This was done to try and stay ahead of the sticks, we've been told. But if we don't make more than a yard or two, we are behind. You have to change it up a little at some point. Play calling is about the only thing a new OC can change at this point in the season. Maybe that's it. Or maybe MY and CJF got into a fist fight after the game.
I am not contending that Clifford was not a "fine" QB, but i am saying Levis was materially restricted in his passing, as predictably when he was brought into a play he ran the ball. I took that as an indictment of his passing ability by Franklin as he had the ultimate say so on the use of Levis. Levis then went on to Ky and it was evident as it is today that Levis can throw as well as run, hence my suspicion that Franklin has restricted Allar's playbook to short and a few intermediate passes. At the very least Franklin could have directed Yursich to open up the playbook, which obviously he did not do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT