http://www.cmuchippewas.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/corey_keener_896337.html

12175032.jpeg

Class: Senior
Hometown: Schuylkill Haven, Pa.
High School: Blue Mountain
Weight: 133
Major:
Physical Education (3.29 GPA)

2015-16: Named Academic All-MAC and to the National Wrestling Coaches Association All-Academic Team … finished second at 133 lbs. at the MAC Championships … had a 19-12 overall record at 133 lbs., including a 6-2 mark in MAC duals … placed second at the Michigan State Open (11/15) and the Reno Tournament of Champions (12/20) … won four consecutive matches in early February, including three versus MAC opponents, by a combined margin of 43-8 … fell 3-1 in sudden victory in the MAC Championship 133-lb. title match … went 1-2 at the NCAA Championships (3/17-3/18).

2013-14: Finished the season with a 19-14 record ... went 4-1 and finished second in 125-open division at MSU Open (11/9) ... upset No. 12 Jade Rauser (Utah Valley) by decision, 8-4 (11/15) ... defeated No. 7 Anthony Kraisser (UNC) at the Northeast Duals by decision, 8-7 (11/30) ... defeated Kevon Powell (Ohio) 3-1 in sudden victory to secure the conference win for the Chippewas (1/17) ... Defeated Alfredo Grey (Kent St.) 8-3 (1/26) ... went 2-2 to finish fourth at the MAC Championships, earning a bid to the NCAA Championships ... went 0-2 at the NCAAA Championships (3/20).

2012-13: Redshirt ... competed at the 2013 FILA Junior Freestyle Nationals at 60kg ... competed at the 2013 ASICS University Nationals at 60kg.

High School: No. 19 126-pound recruit in the country by InterMat ... four-time Schuylkill league champion, four-time District 11 Class AA and four-time Northeast Regional Class AAA champion...

won back-to-back Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association AAA state championships, claiming the

126-pound title as a senior and
119-pound crown as a junior ...

finished runner-up at 112 pounds aa a sophomore and was fifth as a freshman
... only student-athlete in high school's history to place four times at state championships ... holds Pennsylvania District II career win record with 190 victories ...

two-time USA National Champion in both freestyle and Greco-Roman ...

named a 126-pound All-American by InterMat.
http://www.cmuchippewas.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/corey_keener_896337.html

Last edited:
Reactions: tikk10
17-11 record last year, 2-6 in 3 tries at Nationals.

Wrestled Conaway in the opening round 2016, lost a 6-5 decision.

17-11 record last year, 2-6 in 3 tries at Nationals.

Wrestled Conaway in the opening round 2016, lost a 6-5 decision.
I don't know how many of you guys know Corey Keener but i wanted him to come to PSU really bad....If we can get him in our room look out !!!! He will be on the podium at Nationals !!!! He just needs good partners....Young man is for real !!!! Hope Cael can close the deal this weekend...We should be super excited for this opportunity and so should he....Hope i get the chance to run into him, Show him we need him everyone....He would fill in perfect for one year at 133. Hope if he sticks he gets into the room asap....Now calling for Michael Beard !!!!

I don't know how many of you guys know Corey Keener but i wanted him to come to PSU really bad....If we can get him in our room look out !!!! He will be on the podium at Nationals !!!! He just needs good partners....Young man is for real !!!! Hope Cael can close the deal this weekend...We should be super excited for this opportunity and so should he....Hope i get the chance to run into him, Show him we need him everyone....He would fill in perfect for one year at 133. Hope if he sticks he gets into the room asap....Now calling for Michael Beard !!!!
Reminder: other than posting here, do NOT "show him we need him." Let the professionals do their job. Avoid potential NCAA violations. Plus caring is creepy.

Reactions: Hotshoe and Ja1339
After he enrolls, I predict he immediately transfers to Rutgers.

Kidding aside, I'd guess this indicates there's no going back to 33 for Cortez. Guess we all already assumed that after the earlier thread and Cael's comments. So Cortez has two years left, and Lee can only shirt for one year. I don't think we can assume that means Lee will redshirt. He may have to beat Cortez for 41 next year or the year after. So why not give it a go next year? Or is there any chance Lee moves to 49 for 2018-19?

If Keener comes to Penn State, I can already see the internet talking points next year at this time:

If Keener falls short of or just meets expectations (say, NCAA qualifier but non-AA), then this will be hailed as evidence that Cael can't coach, since that is in line with what he accomplished at CMU.

If Keener exceeds expectations and wins a national championship, well then obviously it must have been the case that the CMU coaches did all the work and he would've won it no matter what singlet he was wearing.

Reactions: nitlion6
After he enrolls, I predict he immediately transfers to Rutgers.

Kidding aside, I'd guess this indicates there's no going back to 33 for Cortez. Guess we all already assumed that after the earlier thread and Cael's comments. So Cortez has two years left, and Lee can only shirt for one year. I don't think we can assume that means Lee will redshirt. He may have to beat Cortez for 41 next year or the year after. So why not give it a go next year? Or is there any chance Lee moves to 49 for 2018-19?
Probably true, but could be risk mitigation for Cortez's shoulder surgery?

Reactions: Ja1339
If Keener comes to Penn State, I can already see the internet talking points next year at this time:

If Keener falls short of or just meets expectations (say, NCAA qualifier but non-AA), then this will be hailed as evidence that Cael can't coach, since that is in line with what he accomplished at CMU.

If Keener exceeds expectations and wins a national championship, well then obviously it must have been the case that the CMU coaches did all the work and he would've won it no matter what singlet he was wearing.

Let's go down the line:

1. Key injuries weakened the weight class
2. Key wrestlers went up, or down, before the season started
3. The bracket opened up for him.
4. He would have AA'd anyway, natural progression.
5. Cael brought in another ringer.

Kind of odd/interesting that he's had the same season three times over four years, practically identical records, similar bonus rate. Gotta figure Cael and the room will break that pattern.

Reactions: diggerpup
Kind of odd/interesting that he's had the same season three times over four years, practically identical records, similar bonus rate. Gotta figure Cael and the room will break that pattern.
not really all that odd. Most people have a ceiling, no matter how hard they try to break through it. Might be physical, might be mental, but for some reason can't get over the hump. A change of scenery might be the best thing for him, try something new-but no guarantees that it will change a thing.

Reactions: Antaeus and tikk10
Did some research has beaten Eicher, Earl Hall, Lantry, was beating Pletcher til the last 30 seconds earlier this year and the list goes on. I think its been made known that Cortez and Lee will be at 141 we obviously needed an upgrade at 133. Nothing against any of the kids that work very hard and give it there all but come on, any team that can upgrade like this and put him in our room for a summer its a no brainer. Plus I am sure that Casey has done alot of research being he is a CMU kid and they know he has got good character and will be a good team kid. Anybody to say that that this is not a huge improvement to an already great team is kidding themselves. Even if he performs to his level of previous years its 15 more wins at that weight than we would have had.

Did some research has beaten Eicher, Earl Hall, Lantry, was beating Pletcher til the last 30 seconds earlier this year and the list goes on. I think its been made known that Cortez and Lee will be at 141 we obviously needed an upgrade at 133. Nothing against any of the kids that work very hard and give it there all but come on, any team that can upgrade like this and put him in our room for a summer its a no brainer. Plus I am sure that Casey has done alot of research being he is a CMU kid and they know he has got good character and will be a good team kid. Anybody to say that that this is not a huge improvement to an already great team is kidding themselves. Even if he performs to his level of previous years its 15 more wins at that weight than we would have had.

If it helps us shut out the Hawkeye's next year I'm doing cartwheels. :)

Doe's anybody know if he was being looked at or offered anything by Cael back when he graduated high school?

If he goes 33 this year and hits the podium it will send a huge message as to whether Cael can coach-up level wise.

Reactions: TexasLion1979
Doe's anybody know if he was being looked at or offered anything by Cael back when he graduated high school?

If he goes 33 this year and hits the podium it will send a huge message as to whether Cael can coach-up level wise.
I don't remember if PSU kicked the tires but doubt Cael went hard after him. PSU had just landed 2 pretty good lightweights the year before in Nico and Conaway.

Reactions: purescurve
Remember it well. Gave Jordan a good, tough match.
Remember it well. Gave Jordan a good, tough match.

He also owns a win over Synon. I believe it was at 2015 nationals.
Record is 17-11, 19-12, and 19-14.

That's Gulibonesc!

No AA but better than Carpenter/ Law...

I would guess Jimmy's 4 years in the Big Ten, plus two national dual finals, presented him with tougher competition week in and week out.

Unfortunately, no. Those who already believe Cael can coach don't need new evidence. Those who don't think he can coach don't need any new evidence to change their minds. Locked in like concrete.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
Unfortunately, no. Those who already believe Cael can coach don't need new evidence. Those who don't think he can coach don't need any new evidence to change their minds. Locked in like concrete.

I think one, or both, of us should of used a smiley face.

Personally I would love to hear what the coaches had him work on or said to Vincenzo going into that finals match.

Personally I would love to hear what the coaches had him work on or said to Vincenzo going into that finals match.
I know you were tongue in cheek purescurve. No worries. So was I.

Vincenzo in one of his interviews said he worked on hand fighting between B1Gs and nationals. That was because it was an Imar strength vis-a-vis himself. Coaching indeed!

"OK, he's got the flu. Don't blow this thing early." Surprised this wasn't all over the interwebs last month. :rolleyes:

I understand Cael and Casey both ask Cenzo if he had any advice on how they should coach during the match.
Cenzo just smiled, winked and told them to just sit there like you guys belong. Since my birth everybody has known I am going to wear him out then toss his ass for a fall.

Last edited:
Get him in the room and see what can happen. If Cortez is healthy rolling around with Sueiano and Cortez among others will only help. An absolute solid addition that could surprise at the end of the year like many of the PSU wrestlers do. I hope we land him. For the conspiracy theorist who can say cael is making this move just for the opportunity to shut Iowa out at home next year.

Solidifies our dual lineup and allows for Lee to redshirt. We'll see if a Pa boy coming back home into that room can jump a level now that he would have such a great team around him.

I think if Lee redshirts, it will only be because he can't beat Cortez out for the 141 spot. The comments Cael made in that statecollege.com story a few weeks back made it seem as though he's expecting Lee to be a legitimate threat to win the starting spot:

"Looking ahead, Penn State is the odds-on favorite to make it a three-peat in Cleveland in March 2018. The Nittany Lions return 142 of the 146.5 points they scored in St. Louis. The only graduating senior in the starting lineup is 141-pounder Jimmy Gulibon.

"Blue-chip recruit Nick Lee from Evansville, Ind., was thought to be the heir apparent at 141. Sanderson, though, said he’s one of two candidates.

“'I think we’ll wrestle our best team. That would be our plan. Nick Lee, he’ll be ready to go. I mean Nick Lee, he’s going to be a handful. Cortez also has been talking about going 141, which would probably be better for him as well,' he said. 'So 133, I think, is the weight class that is the biggest question mark right now for next year.'

"Sanderson said Lee chose to forego his senior season, finish high school online and move to State College to train with the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club.

“'He’s been able to train and I think it’s been great for him. He’s been able to train with our senior level guys and when our college kids are in there. I mean, it’s freestyle, but we’ll get him in here for summer school and put the folk-style emphasis on things a little bit more. He’ll be ready to roll,' he said."

Reactions: purescurve
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT