ADVERTISEMENT

Beaver Stadium ranks 6th in stadium loudness by decibels

Penn State must be heavily invested in the hearing aid business. They crank the sound systems up to absurd levels in both Beaver Stadium and Pegula Arena. The sound system is so loud in Beaver Stadium that I quit sitting in my football club seats and moved back to sideline seats. And I now show up to Pegula just before game time, since I can't have a decent conversation that can be heard by my seatmates during warmups due to the overly load sound system. I'm fine with human generated cheering, but the blasting of music to increase sound levels is just ridiculous.

Is this more a factor of acoustics or loudness of the fans? Obviously both are related, but are the top five louder because of more voracious fans? Also, is the decibel level an all time peak value or average high volume per game?

Sixth!!!?! SIXTH!!!???? Are you kidding me!!!
Is that a pledge pin on your uniform!!!!
I....HATE.....NEERRRDDDDSS!!!
YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!!!
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
THAT. IS. PATHETIC!!!!!!!
If we are not Numero Uno next year, I will personally see to it that everyone on this board who attended a game has their head shoved up their asses!!!!!!
I HATE US!!!!!!

The decibel level is a direct inverse from the amount paid for the ticket. East and West sides (minus the sliver of student section) are nearly dead. God forbid you stand up for a big play. Wouldn't want Mildred to miss the play she is listening to on her headphones that is happening 30 feet away from her.

Penn State must be heavily invested in the hearing aid business. They crank the sound systems up to absurd levels in both Beaver Stadium and Pegula Arena. The sound system is so loud in Beaver Stadium that I quit sitting in my football club seats and moved back to sideline seats. And I now show up to Pegula just before game time, since I can't have a decent conversation that can be heard by my seatmates during warmups due to the overly load sound system. I'm fine with human generated cheering, but the blasting of music to increase sound levels is just ridiculous.
Get off my lawn!!!

Get off my lawn!!!!!!!

Edit: Beat me to it Howie.

I don't buy VaTech. I haven't been there in a long time but the stadium was relatively small and very open (about 50k). The last game I was there for was a big win for them (1st win over the Hurricanes) and I have no special memory of it being really loud. The stadium probably has been expanded since I was last there but I would doubt its doubled in size.

I don't buy VaTech. I haven't been there in a long time but the stadium was relatively small and very open (about 50k). The last game I was there for was a big win for them (1st win over the Hurricanes) and I have no special memory of it being really loud. The stadium probably has been expanded since I was last there but I would doubt its doubled in size.

https://www.diehards.com/virginia-tech/virginia-tech-crowd-noise-lane-stadium/amp

The article actually lists the same top 5 and details when they occured (Huskies was from '92).

Somebody invite the crew who documents this for this year's White Out.

Apparently, CFB Kings stole it from this article:
http://www.stack.com/a/loudest-college-football-stadiums
The rankings are by highest recorded decibel readings at each stadium. The 122 cited in the ranking is from 2007 against tOSU. Guido had the acoustics engineers do tests through the stadium that determined the student section should be moved to maximize their impact That happened in 2011, I believe. It's quite possible and very likely, the 122 decibels cited isn't currently the record at the Beav.

Fire Franklin

I like where you're going with this. Keep up the good work.

tenor.gif

Reactions: nittany dave
Loudest I have even been to was 4 OT game vs Michigan. 2 plays, ARob's catch on the sideline and then when Belton got to the outside on the TD had to be more than 122. Was not at either of the last 2 OSU games though

I didn't read the article, but was the decibel meter at the 50 yard line? Otherwise, how is it a fair and equal test?

I can't speak to the decibel level but I find VT's stadium to be electric. And they have the best team entrance in all of college football IMO.

Seriously? I'm not a fan of super loud music pumped into the stadium / arena either, but I've never had an issue talking to the person next to me before a game at Pegula. The music there has never bothered me. And I can't recall a time when I thought the music at Beaver Stadium was too loud either. But I've never been in the club seats either.

Reactions: PSU_1991
According to Chris Peak, Pitt has the loudest snorers by far, once reaching nearly 65dB collectively.

Last edited:
In the old days, before canned noise, when it really got loud the stadium was electric. However, with the piped in noise, it does not even approach what it used to be.

A lot of this is on the architecture of the stadiums.

The Seahawks are also known for having the loudest stadium in the NFL.
Check out those overhangs in both stadiums that play a huge role in the noise levels.

image_handler.aspx

Qwest_Field.jpg

We will stay off your lawn.

I didn't read the article, but was the decibel meter at the 50 yard line? Otherwise, how is it a fair and equal test?
This study was taken when the student section was from the east 20 yd line south. Hence the 105 decible reading.

Movie 1. Animation of pregame and the first half of the PSU-Iowa football game. Note that south is up in this schematic and the student section is in the upper left of the animation.

Click on the link above, then click on the "barnard01.wmv" to see the dB levels in the stadium when PSU has the ball and When Iowa is offense.

412331_2370.jpg

Article link: http://acoustics.org/pressroom/httpdocs/159th/barnard.htm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT