ADVERTISEMENT

Bear Bryant comment

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
I think it was Bear Bryant, comment was he could win with his'n and he could win with yur'n. Could the same be applied were Sabin taking over at PSU.

I think it was Bear Bryant, comment was he could win with his'n and he could win with yur'n. Could the same be applied were Sabin taking over at PSU.
I personally believe that there are a lot of coaches that have the skills necessary to train players and prepare game plans so I'm not sure that a guy like Saban would be a huge improvement. Where he would help is recruiting. He has a lot of credibility and kids would want to come play for him. Of course that doesn't mean he would have adequate NIL money to offer.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Saban was a great coach no doubt, but recruiting was one of his strong points.

At Michigan State, LSU, and Alabama, he was able to upgrade recruiting to get more good players. So there may be some truth to that Bear Bryant quote applying to him, but his'n were plenty good to start with.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
How many championships Saban win at msu?

I just looked at his record at msu. 5 years. One season with more than 7 wins.

6-5-1
6-6
7-5
6-6
10-2. And on to LSU

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
Saban was a great coach no doubt, but recruiting was one of his strong points.

At Michigan State, LSU, and Alabama, he was able to upgrade recruiting to get more good players. So there may be some truth to that Bear Bryant quote applying to him, but his'n were plenty good to start with.
He also started the trend of having underperforming scholarship players suddenly becoming "physically unable" to keep playing. The University would recognize their scholarships for free school- but then Saban would be allowed to exceed the 25 (?) scholarship limit in place at the time.

Famously- Mark Ingram was one of those last few ships. It comes down to probability of hitting the jackpot with a talent and/or cutting losses as soon as possible. I appreciate that Nick is disgusted with today's game- however there was a time where he was skirting rules too- ultimately to Bama's benefit.

I think I recall there was one story where a kid was told that he is not medically cleared (because he wasn't good enough) but then fought it and ended up playing 1-AA. A little egg on Saban's face at the time but I think they took the "medical highground" defense of "acting with an abundance of caution" which only applied for those who weren't panning out.

I hope that he chooses to actually "retire" and enjoy life. He doesn't seem to be a Dickie V type who crave every last media appearance/like on Facebook and will milk their brand/ accomplishments until they die on the set.

We shall see- but for my dollar he is the GOAT of the post classic era over guys like Carroll and Meyer.

Just wish they'd of beaten the Skunkbears....

Actually Bryant didn’t say that. His supporters claimed that which of course is pure BS.

Is 6-6 or better the new goal? Saban had 4 straight seasons of 6-7 wins. 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6.

Would you make that excuse for a psu coach?
No clown I was just pointing out a fact. Those records were when he coached at Michigan State. You apparently are unaware that he won 6 National Championships as well. Geez.

No clown I was just pointing out a fact. Those records were when he coached at Michigan State. You apparently are unaware that he won 6 National Championships as well. Geez.

What happened to beating them with yours and yours with theirs? Does that not apply to MSU?

Saban started beating yours with his at schools that probably had the most talent.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
What happened to beating them with yours and yours with theirs? Does that not apply to MSU?

Saban started beating yours with his at schools that probably had the most talent.
News flash, there isn’t a coach out there in any sport at any level who’s winning championships without having better players. This myth that there are coaches that can win championships simply because of their coaching brilliance is just that, a myth. They may take a team of less talented individuals and get them playing pretty well, but they’re not winning championships.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Not to take anything away from Saban's coaching ability or acumen, but 'Bama, as an institution, is "all-in" on winning. If Saban didn't have "Bama's administrative support, he wouldn't have all those championships to his name. And, to be fair, it's helped 'Bama as an institution to gain visibility and raise their academics. Something some guy named Paterno promoted back in the day.

That said, 'Bama will miss Saban. He had a nice machine going there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT