ADVERTISEMENT

Baker Mayfield and Colin Cowherd

What's the response in the lockerroom after the game when he's being asked questions about poor decisions and throws? It's not a new thing for Baker. I actually think he handled it better than he has other things in the past but we all know he can't stop himself.
mayfield, whether or not the fans like him, was LOVED by his teammates at OU. He's not my cup of tea, but his teammate really had his back.

SpotlessHairyAmericancurl-max-1mb.gif

mayfield, whether or not the fans like him, was LOVED by his teammates at OU. He's not my cup of tea, but his teammate really had his back.

SpotlessHairyAmericancurl-max-1mb.gif

He helped them win games--they better have loved him. We see how the antics are accepted in a professional league--especially if they aren't winning often.

I can't stand the kid but if he produces at the NFL level and keeps the antics to a minimum (I don't expect him to be an entirely new person) I'll give him credit in both areas. I think he'll be out of the league within 5 years but you never know. I didn't think Cousins would be better than RG3

Reactions: Obliviax
He's very familiar with the Jim Rome vs. Jim Everett clip and wants to give himself some safe space after he insults his guests.

HAA!!!!! So you're saying the guy's really a chicken??? That's the best explanation I've heard all day!!!! : ^ )

He helped them win games--they better have loved him. We see how the antics are accepted in a professional league--especially if they aren't winning often.

I can't stand the kid but if he produces at the NFL level and keeps the antics to a minimum (I don't expect him to be an entirely new person) I'll give him credit in both areas. I think he'll be out of the league within 5 years but you never know. I didn't think Cousins would be better than RG3
I don't want to be defending Mayfield, because I don't like him either. My favorite local writer is Terry Pluto. Terry doesn't like him as well. But in the end, Mayfield had much better stats than any of the other QBs at throwing from a clean pocket, throwing from a dirty pocket, and at throwing left and right. He also had, by far, the highest winning percentage of any of the top flight QB's. He had the best accuracy and lowest INT. All this, according to Terry Pluto.

So it is hard to argue with the numbers.

Reactions: Gnat91
I'm not one to normally stick up for Mayfield, but Cowherd was out of line on this one. I think he's just upset because Mayfield was picked before his golden boy, Sam Darnold.

I don't want to be defending Mayfield, because I don't like him either. My favorite local writer is Terry Pluto. Terry doesn't like him as well. But in the end, Mayfield had much better stats than any of the other QBs at throwing from a clean pocket, throwing from a dirty pocket, and at throwing left and right. He also had, by far, the highest winning percentage of any of the top flight QB's. He had the best accuracy and lowest INT. All this, according to Terry Pluto.

Numbers can often be misleading...especially playing in the Big XII. Time will tell how good he is/becomes.

The problem is that his last name is Mayfield, not Darnold... Coward's bias for anything USC is obvious and I'd be willing to bet that he holds a grudge against Mayfield for being drafted higher than Darnold.

The problem is that his last name is Mayfield, not Darnold... Coward's bias for anything USC is obvious and I'd be willing to bet that he holds a grudge against Mayfield for being drafted higher than Darnold.

Pretty sure he disliked Baker long before the draft

He’s still small. He was on a very good team and played in a conference not known for defense. They did beat OSU but so what - we should have too. The Browns didn’t learn from Manziel - he’s the same player as Mayfield only taller. I don’t think Mayfield will make it three years, guess we’ll see.

He’s still small. He was on a very good team and played in a conference not known for defense. They did beat OSU but so what - we should have too. The Browns didn’t learn from Manziel - he’s the same player as Mayfield only taller. I don’t think Mayfield will make it three years, guess we’ll see.
Perhaps...but he is taller than Drew Brees and Russell Wilson. I think the odds of being a successful QB out of college are far less than 50%, even for first round picks. So I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't make it...in fact, given the odds, surprised if he does make it.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
this is getting a lot of local play and thought I'd post it.

Cowherd had Mayfield on his show. At one point, Cowherd shows Mayfield running off to his right while the team celebrates after a TD pass in the endzone. Cowherd says this isn't cool. Mayfield said that this was their third or fourth TD, against Ohio State, and he ran over to the band and traveling fans. Then Mayfield calls out Cowherd for showing a five second clip to suggest Mayfield is a bad teammate.

People are taking both sides here. Some feel Cowherd is trying to cause trouble and Mayfield is right to call him out. Others feel that Mayfield should have been with his teammates and Cowherd is right for doing his job as a journalist.

Any QB who can go into Columbus and kick Ohio States arse is ok in my book. Mayfield could play on my team in a heartbeat. Let's face it ....most...not all.... star players have a little baggage these days ...IMO

Numbers can often be misleading...especially playing in the Big XII. Time will tell how good he is/becomes.
Numbers weren't misleading when they stomped osu's ass. The kid's a gamer.. He wins.. Lotta people don't like him because they think he's cocky. Lotta people don't like Trace either..but Trace is built in the Mayfield mold.

Numbers weren't misleading when they stomped osu's ass. The kid's a gamer.. He wins.. Lotta people don't like him because they think he's cocky. Lotta people don't like Trace either..but Trace is built in the Mayfield mold.

He wins is the key--yes, that's why Baker is well-liked by teammates and Oklahoma fans...other fans as well. The second the wins stop he's in trouble. Same can be said for Trace who absolutely is cocky--being cocky is fine as long as you support it. Trace hasn't done anything remotely as stupid as Baker though. All that said, Trace shouldn't be considered a first round pick--nor should Baker. But that can be said for a bunch of guys that have gone in the first round over the years. Only time will prove them right. For the record, I would have even taken Kyle Lauletta over him...without hesitation. Won't be even remotely shocked if the Giants end up with the best back and QB in this draft in 5 years.

He wins is the key--yes, that's why Baker is well-liked by teammates and Oklahoma fans...other fans as well. The second the wins stop he's in trouble. Same can be said for Trace who absolutely is cocky--being cocky is fine as long as you support it. Trace hasn't done anything remotely as stupid as Baker though. All that said, Trace shouldn't be considered a first round pick--nor should Baker. But that can be said for a bunch of guys that have gone in the first round over the years. Only time will prove them right. For the record, I would have even taken Kyle Lauletta over him...without hesitation. Won't be even remotely shocked if the Giants end up with the best back and QB in this draft in 5 years.

Wow.... Just.... Wow. You really believe that? Baker had better numbers than every QB in the draft.. If you think baker shouldn't be a first round pick then none of the qb's should have gone in the first.

Wow.... Just.... Wow. You really believe that? Baker had better numbers than every QB in the draft.. If you think baker shouldn't be a first round pick then none of the qb's should have gone in the first.

Numbers in college mean nothing...do you need some names or do you actually think the QB with the best numbers is going to be the best in the NFL. In 10 years, Mayfield won't be considered one of the best 6 QBs in this draft IMO...I mean, I'm disappointed anyone would point to "numbers" as a reason why a QB should go early. You must have loved Colt Brennan and be pissed that Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and many others went ahead of him.

"Numbers" lmao

I like how you bolded the Trace part as well. Hopefully some team makes the same evaluation on Trace as the Browns made on Mayfield. I'd love to see Trace get paid...as long as he isn't drafted by the Steelers.

You would have taken Lauletta over Mayfield? Wow. Mayfield was the best QB in the draft IMO by a wide margin.

Numbers in college mean nothing...do you need some names or do you actually think the QB with the best numbers is going to be the best in the NFL. In 10 years, Mayfield won't be considered one of the best 6 QBs in this draft IMO...I mean, I'm disappointed anyone would point to "numbers" as a reason why a QB should go early. You must have loved Colt Brennan and be pissed that Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and many others went ahead of him.

"Numbers" lmao

I like how you bolded the Trace part as well. Hopefully some team makes the same evaluation on Trace as the Browns made on Mayfield. I'd love to see Trace get paid...as long as he isn't drafted by the Steelers.

Really? Numbers mean nothing. In the last twenty years, there have been plenty of QBs drafted high who had mediocre stats (sub—60% completion percentage, high TD / interception ratio, etc.). I don’t think any of them with the exception of maybe Matt Stafford have done anything in the League. To put a fine point on it: If you are not productive in college, then you almost certainly won’t be productive in the pros.

Here is the reality. Is there a difference between college and pro? Absolutely. But the pro game is moving closer to college from a schematic standpoint then college to pro. Teams are more spread out. Fullbacks hardly exist. The Eagles just won a Super Bowl with an RPO heavy offense.

As time moves on, I think NFL offense will move increasingly towards more spread type concepts because of CBA limitations on practice time and rules on contact. (QBs are becoming more and more untouchable. Same with receivers. DBs can barely touch them without risking a flag and receivers can go after balls with little concern that they will get their head knocked off). I think Mayfield is better suited to succeed in the modern NFL then the other folks in his draft class. Time will tell.

Really? Numbers mean nothing. In the last twenty years, there have been plenty of QBs drafted high who had mediocre stats (sub—60% completion percentage, high TD / interception ratio, etc.). I don’t think any of them with the exception of maybe Matt Stafford have done anything in the League. To put a fine point on it: If you are not productive in college, then you almost certainly won’t be productive in the pros.

Here is the reality. Is there a difference between college and pro? Absolutely. But the pro game is moving closer to college from a schematic standpoint then college to pro. Teams are more spread out. Fullbacks hardly exist. The Eagles just won a Super Bowl with an RPO heavy offense.

As time moves on, I think NFL offense will move increasingly towards more spread type concepts because of CBA limitations on practice time and rules on contact. (QBs are becoming more and more untouchable. Same with receivers. DBs can barely touch them without risking a flag and receivers can go after balls with little concern that they will get their head knocked off). I think Mayfield is better suited to succeed in the modern NFL then the other folks in his draft class. Time will tell.

Time will tell...I think he'll be out of the league in 3-5 years. Right now it's all opinion...someone will be proven right...or we'll both me proven wrong since you think he's going to be the best in this draft :)

Time will tell...I think he'll be out of the league in 3-5 years. Right now it's all opinion...someone will be proven right...or we'll both me proven wrong since you think he's going to be the best in this draft :)
Even though the browns have sucked for years .. I'm taking the word of people that evaluate this stuff for a living. And keep this on the down low ... The browns will sneak into a wild card this year..after they fire hue in week 3.

Even though the browns have sucked for years .. I'm taking the word of people that evaluate this stuff for a living. And keep this on the down low ... The browns will sneak into a wild card this year..after they fire hue in week 3.

lol okay

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT