ADVERTISEMENT

Baker Mayfield and Colin Cowherd

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
this is getting a lot of local play and thought I'd post it.

Cowherd had Mayfield on his show. At one point, Cowherd shows Mayfield running off to his right while the team celebrates after a TD pass in the endzone. Cowherd says this isn't cool. Mayfield said that this was their third or fourth TD, against Ohio State, and he ran over to the band and traveling fans. Then Mayfield calls out Cowherd for showing a five second clip to suggest Mayfield is a bad teammate.

People are taking both sides here. Some feel Cowherd is trying to cause trouble and Mayfield is right to call him out. Others feel that Mayfield should have been with his teammates and Cowherd is right for doing his job as a journalist.

Cowherd had Mayfield on his show. At one point, Cowherd shows Mayfield running off to his right while the team celebrates after a TD pass in the endzone. Cowherd says this isn't cool. Mayfield said that this was their third or fourth TD, against Ohio State, and he ran over to the band and traveling fans. Then Mayfield calls out Cowherd for showing a five second clip to suggest Mayfield is a bad teammate.

People are taking both sides here. Some feel Cowherd is trying to cause trouble and Mayfield is right to call him out. Others feel that Mayfield should have been with his teammates and Cowherd is right for doing his job as a journalist.

So, ESPN creating drama? Who would have thought.

LdN

I think they're both idiots. My bet is Cowherd is still gainfully employed in three years though.

Reactions: m48tank

Nothingburger, except that it further demonstrates why NOT to show any interest in Cowherd. It was interesting seeing him act like a jerk, but I regret I clicked. Mayfield handled it as well as anyone could.

Reactions: Gnat91 and BBrown
I think they're both idiots. My bet is Cowherd is still gainfully employed in three years though.
Ha! I can tell you that the Browns were very high on Mayfield in OTA's. He was a great kid, eager to learn with a great work ethic. He is struggling with the playbook and footwork (being under center). However, they simply LOVE Tyrod Taylor and don't expect Mayfield to be pressed into duty as long as Taylor stays healthy.

I have heard that the reason why they drafted Mayfield is because of the adversity he has had in his college career and the chip on his shoulder that has caused. There is no franchise that needs a QB who can fight through adversity than the Browns. The Browns felt that other QB's had superior physical capabilities (Allen, Rosen, Darnold) but had certain mental challenges. Darnold seemed overwhelmed at pro days. Rosen said he didn't want to play for CLE. Allen was coming from a small school and would have trouble adjusting to the talent lever. They felt Mayfield would have problems adjusting, but was more mature and could handle the pressure. And, with his attitude, had a better chance to excel in CLE that other QB's wouldn't be able to do.

Cowherd is an instigator and Mayfield is easily instigated.. Mayfield will benefit greatly if he doesn't respond to every stupid media critic. He can internalize and use it as motivation but no need to get into a public discussion about what Cowherd has to say about anything. Cowherd's opinion is pretty worthless.

Reactions: BBrown
Cowherd's a "journalist?"

Cow-Turd-MEME.jpg

As someone said, it's creating controversy. I love watching football but I'm not going to be lured into caring about some manufactured nonsense. It's the offseason so instead of selling football, which people like, they have to try to sell something else.

The story of whether the #1 overall pick can turn around a long floundering franchise is a great one but it's one that will be told on the field, not in a studio by someone like Colin Cowherd.

Ha! I can tell you that the Browns were very high on Mayfield in OTA's. He was a great kid, eager to learn with a great work ethic. He is struggling with the playbook and footwork (being under center). However, they simply LOVE Tyrod Taylor and don't expect Mayfield to be pressed into duty as long as Taylor stays healthy.

I have heard that the reason why they drafted Mayfield is because of the adversity he has had in his college career and the chip on his shoulder that has caused. There is no franchise that needs a QB who can fight through adversity than the Browns. The Browns felt that other QB's had superior physical capabilities (Allen, Rosen, Darnold) but had certain mental challenges. Darnold seemed overwhelmed at pro days. Rosen said he didn't want to play for CLE. Allen was coming from a small school and would have trouble adjusting to the talent lever. They felt Mayfield would have problems adjusting, but was more mature and could handle the pressure. And, with his attitude, had a better chance to excel in CLE that other QB's wouldn't be able to do.

I read all this before when they drafted Mayfield; I don't think he has it. That's all.

Cowherd took a 5 second clip of Mayfiend and tried to use it to justify his conclusion that Mayfield is a bad teammate. This is one of many instances you can point to that shows what a clown Cowherd is. Mayfield was right to call him out on it.

Cowherd didn't bother asking any of his teammates about him, either. He just took one 5 second clip out of context.

I don't like either of them but Cowherd's general approach seems to be to stir up as much crap as possible so people talk about him. Good on Baker for calling him out. That doesn't mean I like Baker either though.

What the heck is up with Cowherd's set design? He's up on a pedestal two feet above his guests. How insecure do you have to be to have a set where your guests have to look up at you like you're a judge or some sort of royalty?

The-Herd-2016-Jan-52-1040x585-607x337.jpg

Reactions: acg116 and bison13
I can't stand Cowherd but he made his point here...the fact Mayfield even responded is a bad sign IMO. He's going to face much harsher criticism than this during his NFL career. If he's going to respond every time that will be his entire life. He has to learn to control his emotions better than he does. I have no clue if he's a good teammate or not--winning solves that--but I wouldn't want him on my NFL team. Risk outweighs the reward IMO.

Much ado about nothing.

What the heck is up with Cowherd's set design? He's up on a pedestal two feet above his guests. How insecure do you have to be to have a set where your guests have to look up at you like you're a judge or some sort of royalty?

It's been a long time thing for a talk show host to have his desk higher than the guest. Andy Kaufman made fun of this in a skit long ago. Here's a pic from it, if I can post if right.

http://www.lasplash.com/uploads//4/Andy_Kaufman_Tribute-5.jpg

I can't stand Cowherd but he made his point here...the fact Mayfield even responded is a bad sign IMO. He's going to face much harsher criticism than this during his NFL career. If he's going to respond every time that will be his entire life. He has to learn to control his emotions better than he does. I have no clue if he's a good teammate or not--winning solves that--but I wouldn't want him on my NFL team. Risk outweighs the reward IMO.

So you're saying he shouldn't respond to the host of a show, where he is a guest, who just showed a video clip and implied he wasn't a good teammate? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Aw, come on. Kid's stuff. That ain't nutin.

Remember this????? Make sure you watch the whole thing. :)

That Jim Rome is not only employed but has somehow become a complete star is beyond me. He wrote the script (with due credit also to Howard Stern and a few others). And it’s reason why cowherd will def be employed in 3 years.

That Jim Rome is not only employed but has somehow become a complete star is beyond me. He wrote the script (with due credit also to Howard Stern and a few others). And it’s reason why cowherd will def be employed in 3 years.

I'm ashamed to say that back when Rome did his thing with Jim Everett I thought it was funny and cool. Now it looks pathetic and a forerunner to how lousy the media was going to become. It was a big deal back then but if someone did that now it would be like, oh well, so what? Stuff like that is the norm now.

Cowherd is an instigator and Mayfield is easily instigated.. Mayfield will benefit greatly if he doesn't respond to every stupid media critic. He can internalize and use it as motivation but no need to get into a public discussion about what Cowherd has to say about anything. Cowherd's opinion is pretty worthless.
Agree he doesn’t need to respond to every critic, but no choice there.

I didn’t see a guy who was instigated. I saw a guy who was put on the spot and responded in a reasonable way under the circumstances. I thought that was the best (most mature) Baker Mayfield I’d ever seen!

Reactions: Mr. Potter
Agree he doesn’t need to respond to every critic, but no choice there.

I didn’t see a guy who was instigated. I saw a guy who was put on the spot and responded in a reasonable way under the circumstances. I thought that was the best (most mature) Baker Mayfield I’d ever seen!
i thought he did a nice job, honestly. I thought he was unemotional but he called Cowherd out. His message was, "hey, I get it, I have faults, but if you are going to edit video to try and make me look bad, I am going to push back and make you look bad." I've got no problem with an athlete standing his/her ground. In the end, win games. If you win games, athletes can do anything they want within the law.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
So you're saying he shouldn't respond to the host of a show, where he is a guest, who just showed a video clip and implied he wasn't a good teammate? That doesn't make much sense to me.

When I saw the thread, I was expecting a walk out or some other drama. Baker diffused the situation and ended up cracking a joke about it. I like the way he handled it.

I wonder how much of the media the people like Mayfield do is completely voluntary and how much is in essence forced. As a big star you have to do some media but is going on shows like Cowherd's completely voluntary? Maybe people like Mayfield should just not do the shows where the hosts behave like Cowherd. There's so much media out there that there are plenty other media to do.

He's very familiar with the Jim Rome vs. Jim Everett clip and wants to give himself some safe space after he insults his guests.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION

What's the response in the lockerroom after the game when he's being asked questions about poor decisions and throws? It's not a new thing for Baker. I actually think he handled it better than he has other things in the past but we all know he can't stop himself.

ADVERTISEMENT