ADVERTISEMENT

Back home from the game...some thoughts.

LaJolla Lion

May 29, 2001
Cumberland line
Start with the ugly.
  • Special teams was a disaster and the reason for this loss. No way around it. Bad snap on the first FG, but still could have been made. Punt return for a TD. KO to start the half out of bounds. Fake punt also led to 3 points. Outside of Blakes first punt...epic fail all around there. 16 point swing on special teams...what a bad day there.
  • Thompkins really will not be missed at all IMO. Nice solid person, but clearly lacked confidence the entire year long. JJ has to figure his head out, because the young guys can actually make plays and catch the ball.
  • I don't like Franklin always has to take the ball. UK has a sh!t offense, let's be real. I think they had 29 yards passing in the first half. Why not defer, get a stop, and get momentum early when a team isn't a strong offensive team. Why put their best unit on the field first. Allen is a Beast BTW...kudos to him..dude showed up and played and really could have taken the night off.
Good,
  • Trace was heart as usual...thanks for 3 incredible years. Best of luck finding a spot in the league...we'll be pulling for you.
  • Pat F is a freaky good TE for a frosh...yep...just a frosh.
  • Slade looked so quick out there and so physical...again as a true frosh.
  • Shorter will be the big weapon we thought JJ would be hopefully.
  • Micah outside of the almost INT and stupid personal foul was everywhere today.

Future
  • I think Boobie should go because Slade is just so quick and is much more physical than I anticipated coming into this year. His run where he got tackled at the 1, he trucked the UK DB...trucked him. He also is quicker to the edge and threw some nice blocks. He will be a special one people...no SB...but we won't see that again. He will be very good though.
  • Pat F, Shorter, Dotson, and Hamler will be a nightmare for opposing teams next year. IF...big IF Tommy is the man I expect this to be a run first team, but it will open up some bigger plays in time. Clifford is an interesting prospect. The second he came in after the injury I said to the guy next to me...first play is a bomb. Of course #3 wasn't going to make the catch as he has made one contested catch in 3 years I think, but it was a money throw.
  • LB's will be back to LBU. Parsons is a freak...we all see it and the light is going on, but he still did dumb frosh things at times. I really like Brooks though, really like him. There will be a lot of talent and guys that can all run...should be fun to watch.
  • DL will be ok next year IMO. Hopefully Givens returns and the DE's step it up. Time for the younger guys like Mustipher, Oweh, Culpepper, Hawkins....etc to step up there game as well as Simmons and Toney.
  • PSU isn't going away and the talent is just starting to mature and reload....enjoy it for those of us that can. Too much has happened in the last decade not to.

Start with the ugly.
  • Special teams was a disaster and the reason for this loss. No way around it. Bad snap on the first FG, but still could have been made. Punt return for a TD. KO to start the half out of bounds. Fake punt also led to 3 points. Outside of Blakes first punt...epic fail all around there. 16 point swing on special teams...what a bad day there.
  • Thompkins really will not be missed at all IMO. Nice solid person, but clearly lacked confidence the entire year long. JJ has to figure his head out, because the young guys can actually make plays and catch the ball.
  • I don't like Franklin always has to take the ball. UK has a sh!t offense, let's be real. I think they had 29 yards passing in the first half. Why not defer, get a stop, and get momentum early when a team isn't a strong offensive team. Why put their best unit on the field first. Allen is a Beast BTW...kudos to him..dude showed up and played and really could have taken the night off.
Good,
  • Trace was heart as usual...thanks for 3 incredible years. Best of luck finding a spot in the league...we'll be pulling for you.
  • Micah outside of the almost INT and stupid personal foul was everywhere today.

Future
  • I think Boobie should go because Slade is just so quick and is much more physical than I anticipated coming into this year. His run where he got tackled at the 1, he trucked the UK DB...trucked him. He also is quicker to the edge and threw some nice blocks. He will be a special one people...no SB...but we won't see that again. He will be very good though.
  • Pat F, Shorter, Dotson, and Hamler will be a nightmare for opposing teams next year. IF...big IF Tommy is the man I expect this to be a run first team, but it will open up some bigger plays in time. Clifford is an interesting prospect. The second he came in after the injury I said to the guy next to me...first play is a bomb. Of course #3 wasn't going to make the catch as he has made one contested catch in 3 years I think, but it was a money throw.
  • LB's will be back to LBU. Parsons is a freak...we all see it and the light is going on, but he still did dumb frosh things at times. I really like Brooks though, really like him. There will be a lot of talent and guys that can all run...should be fun to watch.
  • DL will be ok next year IMO. Hopefully Givens returns and the DE's step it up. Time for the younger guys like Mustipher, Oweh, Culpepper, Hawkins....etc to step up there game as well as Simmons and Toney.
  • PSU isn't going away and the talent is just starting to mature and reload....enjoy it for those of us that can. Too much has happened in the last decade not to.

I value your observations and opinions. What is the problem with this OL? Primarily coaching or the blocking schemes which are used for this type of offense?
Why do you think Fries was left so often one on one with Allen which everyone knew would be a mismatch?

Reactions: N&B4PSU
We Play at Ohio state and at Michigan State. What has this staff done to give us any confidence. Biggest gripe is there is having players make same mistakes over and over and never getting benched. Play the best damn players.

The good ones do that every year....not too worried as he has shown he will correct things. Don't forget RR was also in his rookie year calling the O, so hopefully he too grows.
If you’re looking for reasonable, this board is the last place you want to be right now. The dumb is flowing like crazy. Your OP was very reasonable which is why it will get skewered. I’m outta here for a while.

We Play at Ohio state and at Michigan State. What has this staff done to give us any confidence. Biggest gripe is there is having players make same mistakes over and over and never getting benched. Play the best damn players.
He's actually building a talented roster. Slade, Pat F, Shorter, Hamler, Dotson....yeah...that will suck for at least the next 2 years.

The good ones do that every year....not too worried as he has shown he will correct things. Don't forget RR was also in his rookie year calling the O, so hopefully he too grows.
Disagree. Same issues continuously rear it's head for the last few years. It seems never ending. Some other issues may get amplified like special teams this year, many have remained constant each season of JF tenure. If he can't identify these 5 years in, we're all screwed no matter how much talent we have.

Reactions: zubrus1
Start with the ugly.
Good,

Future
Agree that PSU has some talented players. I don't understand why we don't go to Friermuth, JJ, or Shorter when we're in the red zone. Throwing to short WRs is difficult. I also don't understand why we don't throw more screen passes.

Next year depends on who returns.

We missed Windsor today.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and BBrown
Disagree. Same issues continuously rear it's head for the last few years. It seems never ending. Some other issues may get amplified like special teams this year, many have remained constant each season of JF tenure. If he can't identify these 5 years in, we're all screwed no matter how much talent we have.
You realize fans are walking cliches.....right. He wins way more than he loses and he has a ton of young talent out there. It's easy to take the field and be a doubter because there is always the ooops I was wrong or I hope I'm wrong card. He's not perfect and never will be, but I'll take where PSU is heading. Sorry, but this site really is full of emotional whores who tend to overreact to every win or loss. Bottom line the program is stable again and reloading with a good amount of talent. Tons of good programs take some dips...if 9-4 is the bad, things aren't half as awful as some want to pretend.

Start with the ugly.
Good,

Future

Was there a groan from the fans when Franklin chose to go for the FG rather than going for it? Seemed like a letdown not to let Trace have that shot

The returning talent is nullified by coaching. PSU is undoubtedly the 2nd best program in the conference talent-wise, but this coaching staff might be the worst in the B1G.

Reactions: psuno1
Was there a groan from the fans when Franklin chose to go for the FG rather than going for it? Seemed like a letdown not to let Trace have that shot
Not really, some rumbling, but with 3 timeouts left I think most understood the call and they would have understood had he gone for it as well IMO. It's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't coaches get. They make the FG, get the stop and get the ball back...genius. They go for it and get it...great call. They go for it with 3 timeouts and making it a 3 point game and fail to get it...they are idiots. The game was lost early on with special teams IMO, but I do disagree with his fake punt and letting UK's defense set the tone early instead of his won against a team that has a HS passing offense.

Last edited:
You realize fans are walking cliches.....right. He wins way more than he loses and he has a ton of young talent out there. It's easy to take the field and be a doubter because there is always the ooops I was wrong or I hope I'm wrong card. He's not perfect and never will be, but I'll take where PSU is heading. Sorry, but this site really is full of emotional whores who tend to overreact to every win or loss. Bottom line the program is stable again and reloading with a good amount of talent. Tons of good programs take some dips...if 9-4 is the bad, things aren't half as awful as some want to pretend.

9 - 4 with 3 of those losses in your division. Not conference, division.

Yeah, we are all "emotional whores" and "walking cliche's".... Thank you so much for being the voice of reason...... lmfao....

CJF is 3-12 vs the Big three, but it will be better next year when we have a new QB, RB, and have to replace possibly our best OL.

This is really the crux of the matter. When playing lesser talent PSU generally wins. When playing better competition PSU is 3-12 against the big 3 (3-14 if you include USC and Georgia from bowl games).

This is really the crux of the matter. When playing lesser talent PSU generally wins. When playing better competition PSU is 3-12 against the big 3 (3-14 if you include USC and Georgia from bowl games).
So PSU was more talented that UGa? BS, kind of lose credibility right there as they weren't and it wasn't even close to be honest. UGa was poorly coached as well, but from a talent standpoint...they were light years ahead of PSU at that time. OSU, UM, and MSU had 2 years to play an undermanned PSU squad and the recruiting has really taken off in the last 2 years. I love how we can't count the UW wins or the BT title games....just the losses matter. I get some pissing and moaning, but when people just leave off facts like 6 of those losses were in sanction riddled years they kind of lose points IMO. He needs to get better now that the program is a bit more stable and most see it, but the selective memory posts are a bit overdone.

The 9-4 isn’t the part we are bitching about. It’s the how and why we are 9-4 and not better that has the panties in a bunch. Let’s face it, this year this team could not close out wins and they turned into hard to swallow losses. I can live with the blowout at UM, even thought I don’t like it, but games like OSU and MSU really sting.

Future

Excellent overall post, and the decision to go for the FG is being beat to death, so some comments on your "future"
observations
  • I can see Miles going pro, and I wish him well, but I"m wondering if he gets a good draft position; if you compare him to UK running back Snell, is there any doubt that Snell looks like the better prospect? And how many other good RBs are out there that could push Miles down the draft board
  • Slade can be very good next year, better IMO than Miles was this year, and Journey Brown can continue to develop; Cain and Ford look like excellent prospects (Cain perhaps more physically prepared to see the field early?), so Running Back should be a strong point
  • You mention Pat F, Shorter, Dotson and Hamler as bright spots for receivers next year and I totally agree; think about this game -- down the stretch nearly all the passes were going to those 4 Freshmen (the performance of the upper class receivers was definitely the biggest disappointment I saw this year)
  • LB a strong point -- yes, definitely; really liked a few plays by Brooks as well as the absolute star potential for Micah
  • Overall, the talent continues to upgrade; the program is getting better! It doesn't all happen at once or even in a straight line; within the next 3 years, PSU will be in the national playoffs IMO, and maybe more than once!
  • I wish my crystal ball would tell me what the QB situation will be, because that obviously has a huge impact, but the candidates are there and in the pipeline; I just hope the next QB(s) have half the heart and spirit of #9. Salute to you, Trace!

I was at the game too. Seemed like we were unstoppable at that point . Kentucky players seemed keep flopping on the ground that drive and to slow our mo. It seemed like we would go and convert . Once UK got the ball back , Snell just took over . Bennie was a one man cheerleader who had the Cat fans on their feet and loud anytime he raised his arms .

Excellent overall post, and the decision to go for the FG is being beat to death, so some comments on your "future"
observations
  • I can see Miles going pro, and I wish him well, but I"m wondering if he gets a good draft position; if you compare him to UK running back Snell, is there any doubt that Snell looks like the better prospect? And how many other good RBs are out there that could push Miles down the draft board
  • Slade can be very good next year, better IMO than Miles was this year, and Journey Brown can continue to develop; Cain and Ford look like excellent prospects (Cain perhaps more physically prepared to see the field early?), so Running Back should be a strong point
  • You mention Pat F, Shorter, Dotson and Hamler as bright spots for receivers next year and I totally agree; think about this game -- down the stretch nearly all the passes were going to those 4 Freshmen
  • LB a strong point -- yes, definitely; really liked a few plays by Brooks as well as the absolute star potential for Micah
  • Overall, the talent continues to upgrade; the program is getting better! It doesn't all happen at once or even in a straight line; within the next 3 years, PSU will be in the national playoffs IMO, and maybe more than once!
  • I wish my crystal ball would tell me what the QB situation will be, because that obviously has a huge impact, but the candidates are there and in the pipeline; I just hope the next QB(s) have half the heart and spirit of #9. Salute to you, Trace!
I honestly think the QB situation is a tricky one since Tommy came back. I'm not convinced Tommy is the answer tossing the ball, but if they want to be a run first team...he's a bull in a china shop and is pretty fast. The thing is Clifford seems to have really nice touch on the ball, but can he be a threat or enough of one with his feat to keep teams honest.

I'll be honest, I have no idea which way to go there....anyone that does IMO is FOS. I imagine it is Tommy's job until it isn't...but that is just a guess.

Yawn. Heard this last year and they won 11 games including a 35 point shackling of us.
Ok nate.

giphy.gif

Start with the ugly.
Good,

Future

I have seen every good and great PSU RB break into college football and I just don't see Slade as the next great PSU RB. I'm sure it looked a little different being at the game, but the closeups and replays showed me that Slade needs a pretty big hold to get through. He seems to go to the ground easier than bigger framed RB's and I sure would not trade Sanders for him. Sanders had a couple special runs where he could have got tackled for a loss but managed to put a nice, quick move on to make a play. I don't believe Slade is faster or quicker than Sanders, and his small frame won't help him as a pass receiver either. We'll see if Sander comes back, but he had a nice season that many take for granted. I was actually hoping to see what J.Brown could do but from what I saw he only got a carry or two.

Agree on Thompkins, and I hope that going forward WR's that can not catch the ball in games are not in the games..... Drops are difficult to overcome against good teams. I still believe JJ needs to lose 10 to 15 lbs to get quicker and faster as he just can not make many plays deep for all his supposed talent.

All believe Miller at DE will be gone - he had a nice game today. He was showing up all over the field, just like Parsons. Yep, we have a nice nucleus at DL and DE if the rest return, but we just don't have quality depth that make big plays when they are in the game. I though Shelton played better today than what he had up until now, but going into this season PSU seemed to have quite few talented DT candidates for depth behind Windsor and Givens (Jordan, Shelton, Barber, Hansford and 3 highly regarded true freshmen) and as far as playmakers it was pretty slim pickens during the season. The same goes for DE with Simmons, Toney and the 2 DE's that gave up the game. Need better DL rotations next year.

I have seen every good and great PSU RB break into college football and I just don't see Slade as the next great PSU RB. I'm sure it looked a little different being at the game, but the closeups and replays showed me that Slade needs a pretty big hold to get through. He seems to go to the ground easier than bigger framed RB's and I sure would not trade Sanders for him. Sanders had a couple special runs where he could have got tackled for a loss but managed to put a nice, quick move on to make a play. I don't believe Slade is faster or quicker than Sanders, and his small frame won't help him as a pass receiver either. We'll see if Sander comes back, but he had a nice season that many take for granted. I was actually hoping to see what J.Brown could do but from what I saw he only got a carry or two.

Agree on Thompkins, and I hope that going forward WR's that can not catch the ball in games are not in the games..... Drops are difficult to overcome against good teams. I still believe JJ needs to lose 10 to 15 lbs to get quicker and faster as he just can not make many plays deep for all his supposed talent.

All believe Miller at DE will be gone - he had a nice game today. He was showing up all over the field, just like Parsons. Yep, we have a nice nucleus at DL and DE if the rest return, but we just don't have quality depth that make big plays when they are in the game. I though Shelton played better today than what he had up until now, but going into this season PSU seemed to have quite few talented DT candidates for depth behind Windsor and Givens (Jordan, Shelton, Barber, Hansford and 3 highly regarded true freshmen) and as far as playmakers it was pretty slim pickens during the season. The same goes for DE with Simmons, Toney and the 2 DE's that gave up the game. Need better DL rotations next year.
There isn’t a doubt in my mind Slade is quicker. Miles is bigger, not quicker or faster. Slade is a true frosh as well. Remember Fumbles Sander as a frosh? To each their own but I don’t think your comments on their speed is accurate.

Very good post LaJolla, as always. As you indicate, PSU has the ingredients to be an outstanding team next year. To get over the hump and be an 11-1 team or better we need two things - very good QB play and improvement in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
I won't be surprised if both QBs play a lot. Stevens is such a physical runner that I can envision him missing some time as he will take a beating. Clifford looks like an outstanding passer so Tommy can't miss too much time or he may lose the job. Both lines return a lot - on D we should lose only Shareef - but both need to improve. Those who like to talk about the losses to MSU and UM as if the staff is responsible, no, it's all about matchups and those matchups are bad for PSU because they are more physical, and better, on the LOS than PSU. We match up much better with OSU than we do with those two teams. We won't reach that "great/elite" status until we can dominate games in the trenches. Do that and we will have the playmakers on both sides of the ball to beat anyone on the schedule. We need kids like Mustipher, Oweh, Culpepper, Tarburton and Hansard to make an impact next year. I'm afraid Simmons, Joseph, Toney and Shelton have reached their ceiling. I think everyone on the o-line needs to improve significantly. I thought McGovern played particularly poorly today. I would not be opposed to taking a long look in the spring at Holmes, Walker, Whigan, Thorpe and Miranda to see if anyone can beat out a returning starter. Based solely on their quality of play this season I would be stunned if either Bates or McGovern leave but I know it's not always about how well you have played.

There isn’t a doubt in my mind Slade is quicker. Miles is bigger, not quicker or faster. Slade is a true frosh as well. Remember Fumbles Sander as a frosh? To each their own but I don’t think your comments on their speed is accurate.

Yep, to each his own. But Slade had fumble issues this season or he may have gotten more carries....

I think it is fair to say that JF is, so far, a better recruiter than he is a game-day coach. He can and likely will improve. If he does not, his recruiting will suffer a bit because of it.

It would help if he had at least one older more experienced coordinator that he could lean on at times. His staff is lacking in that older, mature hand that could help him on the field during games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT