ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Boone

Where is the list of allowable medical exemptions for not wearing a mask? Interesting turn of events. Is that state mandated guidelines or Campus/University?

Sadly he was discriminated against by the University all year long and was not allowed to practice or participate with his team. He has a medically documented exemption for a mask yet the University would not acknowledge it. It's weird because everyone else got to test daily and wrestle without a mask, but not Austin. Double standards have been rampant lately. Go figure. Cael tried his best to make it happen but his hands were tied. It's really heartbreaking.
First time I've heard of anyone being exempt from wearing a mask but that's nuts if he had a legitimate reason and they shunned him. I guess Sandy didn't have this one..... nothing surprises me with the current leadership.

Where is the list of allowable medical exemptions for not wearing a mask? Interesting turn of events. Is that state mandated guidelines or Campus/University?
Heres that list..

A. If wearing a face covering while working would create an unsafe condition in which to operate equipment or execute a task as determined by local, state, or federal regulators or workplace safety guidelines. B. If wearing a face covering would either cause a medical condition, or exacerbate an existing one, including respiratory issues that impede breathing, a mental health condition or a disability. C. When necessary to confirm the individual’s identity. D. While obtaining a service that requires the temporary removal of the face covering, such as dental services. E. When working alone and isolated from interaction with other people with little or no expectation of in-person interaction. F. If an individual is communicating or seeking to communicate with someone who is hearing-impaired or has another disability, where the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication.

This sounds...strange. What medical reason could he have for not wearing a mask that wouldn't also make him unable to wrestle?

It's not like he would have to wear it 24/7. Just as he walked through campus. And as someone who works on a college campus, and one with very strict covid enforcement, he could have easily just worn it below his nose the entire time without trouble. And as you noted, nobody was wearing it at practice.

Doesn't pass the smell test to me.
"one with very strict covid enforcement" and "he could have easily just worn it below his nose the entire time without trouble" don't belong in the same sentence..... Hence the comment regarding double standards. It's a real thing. When one follows through with the legitimate waiver process and is denied outright by the University ALL YEAR LONG, only to be met with rampant double standards such as this, all year long, therein lies the problem. Smell away.

"one with very strict covid enforcement" and "he could have easily just worn it below his nose the entire time without trouble" don't belong in the same sentence..... Hence the comment regarding double standards. It's a real thing. When one follows through with the legitimate waiver process and is denied outright by the University ALL YEAR LONG, only to be met with rampant double standards such as this, all year long, therein lies the problem. Smell away.
Wishing for nothing I'm sure but I hope somehow this all becomes repaired because many of here were excited to see him wrestle for Penn State.

Reactions: danoftw
I wish him luck against anyone that isn’t wearing blue and white! Hopefully he finds a home. Best of luck Austin

He can't wear a mask, but can do one of the most cardio demanding sports in the world? Not buying that ...
The human body is a very complicated machine! There can be two scenarios that logically seem comparable to an outside observer, but are very different in reality to a specific human body. I happen to have known athletes with physical challenges (flat feet, asthma, and diabetes), and I am amazed at how well they get to know their bodies and know what they can and cannot do in specific situations. I would not have been able to think of the intricacies from logic alone and advise them. They have to experience it themselves and learn from their own bodies. So, no, I would not doubt an athlete with a medical condition who knows his body, without specific reason to. Even doctors are often guilty of thinking they know too much, and that's why people get misdiagnosed for years until they meet a better doctor who listens and can make a better, more evidence-based diagnosis.

The human body is a very complicated machine! There can be two scenarios that logically seem comparable to an outside observer, but are very different in reality to a specific human body. I happen to have known athletes with physical challenges (flat feet, asthma, and diabetes), and I am amazed at how well they get to know their bodies and know what they can and cannot do in specific situations. I would not have been able to think of the intricacies from logic alone and advise them. They have to experience it themselves and learn from their own bodies. So, no, I would not doubt an athlete with a medical condition who knows his body, without specific reason to. Even doctors are often guilty of thinking they know too much, and that's why people get misdiagnosed for years until they meet a better doctor who listens and can make a better, more evidence-based diagnosis.
After going through a personal tradgedy a couple years ago, I now experience panic attacks and have anxiety issues which I never had before. Anyway, I distinctly remember when I put the mask on for the first time during covid to go into a grocery store. After taking a few steps in, I had to hurry back out and take it off. I mean, it shocked me that I reacted that way and have no idea why I did. I put the mask back on, sat in the car for a few minutes and remember telling myself, "see, you breathe just fine...no big deal.." before going back into the store for another go at it.

Like I said, I have no idea why I reacted like that. I was actually embarrassed to tell anyone. Years ago I would have never done that because I've never had a problem with wearing a mask. So, I can honestly say people shouldnt question anyone when it comes to their medical conditions. As for my own problems, sometimes I think I could have prevented some of them but dont really know. Against peoples advice, I ditched doctors, ditched medications and just turned to God and I will myself through issues.

After going through a personal tradgedy a couple years ago, I now experience panic attacks and have anxiety issues which I never had before. Anyway, I distinctly remember when I put the mask on for the first time during covid to go into a grocery store. After taking a few steps in, I had to hurry back out and take it off. I mean, it shocked me that I reacted that way and have no idea why I did. I put the mask back on, sat in the car for a few minutes and remember telling myself, "see, you breathe just fine...no big deal.." before going back into the store for another go at it.

Like I said, I have no idea why I reacted like that. I was actually embarrassed to tell anyone. Years ago I would have never done that because I've never had a problem with wearing a mask. So, I can honestly say people shouldnt question anyone when it comes to their medical conditions. As for my own problems, sometimes I think I could have prevented some of them but dont really know. Against peoples advice, I ditched doctors, ditched medications and just turned to God and I will myself through issues.
Panic attack is what I thought of. Someone very close to me has had them in the past, from what I thought were very benign situations/circumstances. Things that others think are benign can absolutely send someone prone to panic attacks into one.

Panic attack is what I thought of. Someone very close to me has had them in the past, from what I thought were very benign situations/circumstances. Things that others think are benign can absolutely send someone prone to panic attacks into one.
Complete honesty, I use to be one of those people that thought panic attacks and anxiety was all b.s. and would just roll my eyes at people that claimed that having one would debilitate them. Man I was such a fool.

I wasn't really talking about that. I have no doubt he could find a doctor to write him an exemption and the university might not accept it. I've seen this situation play out first hand this year and every time it's gone the same way. The student says "whatever" and wears their mask for the couple hours a week it's required because the alternative, leaving school, is 1000x more inconvenient than wearing the mask.

I have a hard time believing a kid would leave the program over this, especially at the tail end of this situation (my school has already announced plans to return to normal ops in the fall). Also, basically every college in the country currently has these mask requirements. I'm not sure where he thinks he would find a different situation. Until I see otherwise, I'm going to assume there are other factors at play here.
I understand your thinking on this because I was right there with you. But I can now honestly tell you that if I couldn't have willed myself through a panic attack and figured out a way to wear a mask, I would have quit school, I would have quit my job, hell...I would have quit drinking if it meant I never had to put on a mask again.

Reactions: Needanap and PASLP2
I understand your thinking on this because I was right there with you. But I can now honestly tell you that if I couldn't have willed myself through a panic attack and figured out a way to wear a mask, I would have quit school, I would have quit my job, hell...I would have quit drinking if it meant I never had to put on a mask again.
Quit the booze
Exercise
Stretch/yoga(yeah I know)
meditation

Quit the booze
Exercise
Stretch/yoga(yeah I know)
meditation
Lol. Yeah...I just threw that in there for affect, I'm not much of a drinker.

Tell ya what I am gonna do though, I'm gonna head over to HR now ...tell Ironbird something one of you ball less Hawk fans should have told him yourselves and go ahead get myself banned.

Last edited:
Lol. Yeah...I just threw that in there for affect, I'm not much of a drinker.

Tell ya what I am gonna do though, I'm gonna head over to HR now ...tell Ironbird something one of you ball less Hawk fans should have told him yourselves and go ahead get myself banned.
I see you kept that pledge ...

Debilitating panic attacks would be a legit reason. If that's it, then it's a tough situation. Whole thing just seems weird. Especially the timing.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Was he being followed around by a university official hounding him about his mask? I say this because the building I work in has a strict, no tolerance mask policy. However, we regularly see students with masks below the nose while studying and as long as they're not congregating in groups while doing it, we let it slide (common sense).

I just hope this wasn't a situation where both sides dug in to prove a point. I have a hard time believing accommodations couldn't be made. Just sucks for the kid. Hope he finds a good second home.

FWIW PA is a commonwealth ;) also medical exemptions aren’t universal with the case in point being riding on an airplane. There is much more to this story but I don’t hold hope for closure, Boone wrestling for PSU certainly had intrigue for me

... I just hope this wasn't a situation where both sides dug in to prove a point. I have a hard time believing accommodations couldn't be made. ...
Since we are speculating, I just hope no Satanic rituals were involved! ;) :)

giphy.gif

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Quite frankly it is no ones business why he has a medical exemption for wearing a mask... the different things I’ve heard asked and discussed this past year makes me sick.
Forever's comments are spot on correct. This Board has embarked upon nearly 2 pages of rampant speculation about the private medical condition of a 19 year old college freshman, one year out of high school. By what measure does anyone think it is appropriate to play "Guess the Ailment" on a public sports forum. Take a moment and imagine how violated you would feel if the Board's comments were made about you or your son or daughter. Whoever manages this thread should delete it.

Forever's comments are spot on correct. This Board has embarked upon nearly 2 pages of rampant speculation about the private medical condition of a 19 year old college freshman, one year out of high school. By what measure does anyone think it is appropriate to play "Guess the Ailment" on a public sports forum. Take a moment and imagine how violated you would feel if the Board's comments were made about you or your son or daughter. Whoever manages this thread should delete it.
This logic should apply to Mr. Desanto as well, even though he wrestles for the bad guys.

Reactions: WildTurk
This logic should apply to Mr. Desanto as well, even though he wrestles for the bad guys.

Or any injury for that matter. Quite frankly, as fans, the health details of a student athlete is really none of our business. It's one thing if the athlete wants to disclose the details in a press release, on social media etc., but I'm perfectly fine with coaches being evasive, ambiguous, or even misleading for whatever reason.

I’m thinking of asking detective js8793 to speculate on just what you were awful at, Mr. IwasAwful! :)

It's always funny when this whole "you shouldn't speculate about personal matters" thing pops up when the entire thread kicked off when someone made specific claims about personal matters.

It seems like that poster has ties to Boone. If they didn't want people to talk about it, they simply could have not posted about it. Nobody would have batted an eye to see a kid transfer out of a deep room. Seems like they wanted people to talk about it.

When you make a big claim like "this kid was systematically discriminated against by the university and is being forced to transfer," I don't think you get to play victim when people ask "wait, what?"

The confined space of an airplane makes me completely irrational with panic.....unless I have my medicine. I wasn't always this way. Sometimes I get caught in very uncomfortable positions.....driving into Manhattan through the tunnels, sometimes even at a drive through, tipped backward too far at the dentist. Never happens at sporting events, but I never sit in the backseat of a car.

Reactions: hlstone
The confined space of an airplane makes me completely irrational with panic.....unless I have my medicine. I wasn't always this way. Sometimes I get caught in very uncomfortable positions.....driving into Manhattan through the tunnels, sometimes even at a drive through, tipped backward too far at the dentist. Never happens at sporting events, but I never sit in the backseat of a car.
I wish I could say I can't relate but I can. People that dont suffer from it will never ever understand it. 3 years ago I would have just wrote you off as having a weak mind. I know that sounds horrible and to be honest I'm ashamed that I was a person that thought that way about others.. I think it was the way I grew up being taught to just work through things and not let things beat you. Weird how tragedies in life can make you a better person.

I respect you thoughts when it comes to the Lee's so just want to know what you're thinking. Is that your prediction of how it will shake out or is it more of something you are hoping for?
Matt will definitely be in the mix at 157. Not predicting he’ll win the spot, but he’ll be right there. Not mentioning him when discussing possible candidates is ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT